Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Bilstein PSS10 Damptronics: A Must For The Tur

Picture of rear drop link as installed in my car. You would like the drop link to be a straight connection, not at an angle like this. As seen in the picture, which hole you use on the sway bar determines how thick the spacer you would use.

I thought TOE-LINKS were to improve stability that GT was talking about?!.

I also thought the advantage of the GMG sways is that you didn't need replacement drop links as the sways are engineered specifically to fit the Turbo so you don't have to worry about getting custom longer drop-links?!

The advantage of stock verses Tarett (and and other monoball style end links) is that the monoballs will eventually cause them to make noise. That's why GMG recommend staying with the stock style drop link. I have been told by other sources that the Tarett links are pretty, allow finer adjustment but are not necessary. And they will wear very quickly without protection.

I am looking forward to my toe-links and dog-bones kits when they arrive though. Ordered but have no idea yet when they will arrive from the States.

Toe links and dog bones improve the response and most importantly stop the suspension geometry from changing under load. With current rubber bushings the toe, camber and caster angles are changing while accelerating, braking and cornering. Replacing those parts stop that and hence enhance SUBSTANTIALLY feedback and control of the car at the limit. Changing both together will make a substantial difference.
    Just ordered dog bones and also thrust bushings front and rear. Will report when I get my hands on them.

GT, that's the exact setup I have, you are gonna love it. They also help you to correctly set up your suspension geometry after lowering. There is very minimal, if any NVD with the complete solid setup you mentioned, you should be fine in London if NYC doesn't bother it!
    No, you don't need tarret drop links with gmg sways. Farnbacherloles verified that for me as well, btwn those two shops they prepare about a dozen current rolex series cars, they know what they are talking about. If they wanted to sell me drop links it would have been very easy.
    Can, I don't like the look of that link at all.
    c

I had to rub my eyes when I saw Excellence Magazine's review of the new Mark II 997 C2S in the October issue! Quote, page 59:

"PASM continues to get better. Bernd Kahnau, Carrera project leader, says Porsche has been fine-tuning PASM suspension since the first iteration was rolled out in 2004. .... It was also apparent within a few hundred yards that PASM's revised Sport mode is nowhere near as aggressive as the original's , though it still has limited appeal for normal road use."

If true, this confirms my suspicion all along, that the 2 PASM dampening rates of the Turbo's OEM shock absorber are so far apart that one must be wrong! Specifically the FIRM dampening rate is out of whack for the stock soft spring and renders that setting useless. Unfortunately, there is no way to retrofit this correction. The only way out, guys, is Bilstein PSS10!

Quote:
    cannga said:
    And if you believe in the idea that for any particular car, for every spring rate, there is a corresponding matching dampening rate, then Bilstein's PASM approach (small range of dampening rates) makes a lot more sense. In other words, the 2 dampening rates of stock PASM are so far apart from each other, that perhaps one must be wrong (out of range)? This is a big factor in my decision to go with the Bilstein coilover, and not just a spring change; I was suspicious of the stock dampener and didn't want to re-use it.

I continue to be skeptical of that Firm setting of PASM, across other 997's like C2S and GT2 as well, not just the Turbo. I keep thinking next gen's PASM will be different from the current implementation. Maybe a third setting in between the two current levels, or a softening of the jittery and hard Firm setting?

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Can, I would agree with your statement regarding the differences between normal/sport.

I recently replaced my Techart springs for the PSS10's and it was interesting to note how different the two setups are with regards to the sport/normal button.

there is much more difference between normal/sport with the springs. As Can said, the difference with the PSS10's is almost indistinguisable - although I only have a few days on my car, so i'm sure I'll learn to feel the nuances between both settings.

That music to my ears regarding NVD! Thanks for feedback!
    After toe links, dog bones and bushings next in the list are GT2 seats (-20kgs) and titanium exhaust (-20kgs). Together with the dymags and the pccb the car should start feeling a lot lighter.. (It already feels 100kg lighter compared to my friends 997tt with stock wheels and big reds).

A friend is watching as we speak the supercup race from the paddock at monza and the mechanics there told him that changing to lightweight doors makes a HUGE difference (-50kgs) and it is possible to swap them back and forth for track days.. Damnit the story never ends with those cars!! Lol

Chris - I don't suppose you could list out exactly what you have had done?

GT - I have sat recently in GT2 bucket seats and although they hold you well I wouldn't want to do long trips in them as they have absolutely no adjustability. I really love my ASS seats.

I have saved weight already with:

PCCB = -20kg (un-sprung so x8)
    HRE P40 wheels = -5kg (un-sprung so x8)
    CG exhaust = -5kg

And I believe the new GMG sways are lighter than stock. So I am doing ok in that department and still have a luxury GT car without too much compromize.

BTW - do you guys get more stone chips now your cars are lowered?

Cannga - do you want an avatar pic btw?
    /uploads/473823-cannga1.gif

Same amount of stone chips; they are just 1 inch higher.
    Kidding aside, what I worry about is your beautiful painted front lip. It *seems* I scraped more when I first had the car, and less now that I've had the Bilstein for a while. But still, certain entry you'll scrape no matter how you angle the car.

You might want to get an unpainted front lip for practicing, and see how you like that drop?

Thanks for the avatar. Could you please reduce this one too? (Looking for any chance to post a picture. )

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    BTW - do you guys get more stone chips now your cars are lowered?

GT, you are tempting me with way too many toys; "bad" influence!
    The Turbo door is already aluminum to reduce weight. There is lighter door? By removing the padding?

Quote:
    GT said:
    That music to my ears regarding NVD! Thanks for feedback!
    After toe links, dog bones and bushings next in the list are GT2 seats (-20kgs) and titanium exhaust (-20kgs). Together with the dymags and the pccb the car should start feeling a lot lighter.. (It already feels 100kg lighter compared to my friends 997tt with stock wheels and big reds).

A friend is watching as we speak the supercup race from the paddock at monza and the mechanics there told him that changing to lightweight doors makes a HUGE difference (-50kgs) and it is possible to swap them back and forth for track days.. Damnit the story never ends with those cars!! Lol

GT, I think the ride is firmer for sure, but not the NVD/NVH one might expect, you'll love it!
    Alex, my car has the gmg stage 2 suspension as setup by farnbacherloles. It consists of gmg springs(20mm), gmg adj sways(middle f/r), gmg toe links, gmg rear control arms aka bones upper/lower, porsche motorsport cup trailing adj arms(needed with thrust bushings), solid gmg thrust bushings f/r, aggressive alignment-yet streetable as it's my DD, fr -1.5 camber rear -2.1(I could do much more), and a set of the N rated 19" cups to top it all off (1 track day and about 1k miles so far, minimal wear)...... and about 550hp.
    c

Caanga I believe cargraphic has lightweight doors available. I can't remember what material they come from though..
    Surgeon, I see you changed to the gt3 control arms to change the monoball as well. I discussed this in length with tarrett and it will probably be my next step.
    At this stage I am waiting for dog bones and thrust bushings front/rear and also trying to find a way to reduced the power oversteer my car has (albeit in rediculously slippery roads). It either comes from the fact that the toe links stiffened the back while the front stayed the same or my rear corsas are no longer working well. I have -1.25 and -2 camber front/rear. I ll either have to loosen the rear sway or maybe give more toe in in the back to help things. Have your tracked your car with the setting you have? When you reach the traction limit what goes first? Front or rear or is it completely neutral?

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    I thought TOE-LINKS were to improve stability that GT was talking about?!.

I also thought the advantage of the GMG sways is that you didn't need replacement drop links as the sways are engineered specifically to fit the Turbo so you don't have to worry about getting custom longer drop-links?!

The advantage of stock verses Tarett (and and other monoball style end links) is that the monoballs will eventually cause them to make noise. That's why GMG recommend staying with the stock style drop link. I have been told by other sources that the Tarett links are pretty, allow finer adjustment but are not necessary. And they will wear very quickly without protection.

I am looking forward to my toe-links and dog-bones kits when they arrive though. Ordered but have no idea yet when they will arrive from the States.

Yes, I've read numerous postings on suspension mods and the toe link does receive uniform recommendation (dog bone is 50/50 for non-tracker). I haven't done it only because I like my car as is and am afraid of changing too much from stock, plus I am always leery of NVH.

I use the Tarett drop link because of its positive effects; however, it is NOT needed for GMG sway bar to work! That said, I vaguely recall the outer holes of the sway bar do cause the stock drop link to bend at an angle that might be acceptable to some but not necessarily perfect for me (see enclosed picture). THAT said, your plan is excellent as is and IMHO because you are adding a few components already, I agree w/ you that the Tarett could wait.

The hunt for more robust and adjustable drop links is not new and cross a few generations of Porsche. If you like to read more, a good source to run a search - for "drop link" in title - is here http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/index.php .

That after-market drop link idea came first to me from the professional shop that installed Jason's ("Atomic," among first few on this forum with Bilstein) and Larry's PSS10, http://www.cantrellmotorsport.com/ . They prep race cars/Porsche cup cars, etc. for a living. Cantrell got my attention because they have actually tried the Tarett in our Turbo with the Bilstein (exact same situation as mine), and they recommend them after having tried.

But I didn't immediately listen to the "authority" - race car pro or not, because this is about *me* . Initially my car was installed with the stock drop link. However, once I saw it in person, I went ahead with the change. Tarett was an easy choice because of their remarkable reputation. Most importantly, those who use the Tarett drop link don't revert back to stock, not one that I've seen. No long term noise complaint either.
    But bottom line is one could only trust others' opinions up to a point (I take all tuners' recommendations, including GMG even though I use their sway bar, with a grain of salt.); this is one of those things that until you try, you won't know.

Just changed rear sway setting for 2 to 1 and indeed the balance of the car changed substantially from power oversteer to more neutral. However the one thing to report here to all who are using adjustable sways is that the difference in ride quality for city driving is quite noticeable when loosening those sways. Contrary to the theory (that sways don't affect lateral suspension movement but only while cornering) stiffening those bars makes a big difference under almost all conditions. So since its only a 15min thing its worth reverting to softest positions when in city/ winter etc only to drop-by your mechanic to switch when a track day is coming up.

GT,

This post makes me smile; I've been thinking exactly the same thing and concur 1000% . When I changed the sway to full stiff rear, it was intolerable. I am now in the middle setting and am debating whether to make it even softer.

One thing I read that seems to provide an explanation is that while driving in a straight line, the sway makes your car act like it has a live axle. In other words, it counters the good effect of the independent suspension, while the car is in a straight line.
    This is what I've been thinking: If you hit a bump with a right rear tire, only right rear wheel is supposed to be affected by the bump. With a stiff sway bar, when you hit the right rear bump, right rear upward movement is transmitted to the left rear through the stiffer swway bar, and left wheel suspension is affected as well. I don't know it would cause the left rear wheel to lift, but it seems it will at least makes the left stiffer. Voila: Live rear axle!?

Bottom line: Stiff sway is good for cornering, but bad for street bumps.

Quote:
    GT said:
    Just changed rear sway setting for 2 to 1 and indeed the balance of the car changed substantially from power oversteer to more neutral. However the one thing to report here to all who are using adjustable sways is that the difference in ride quality for city driving is quite noticeable when loosening those sways. Contrary to the theory (that sways don't affect lateral suspension movement but only while cornering) stiffening those bars makes a big difference under almost all conditions. So since its only a 15min thing its worth reverting to softest positions when in city/ winter etc only to drop-by your mechanic to switch when a track day is coming up.

GT, only one track day so far, pretty neutral, but that was at lime Rock, a short low speed hi momentum track. I'm going to watkins glen on monday, that's a real high speed track, will report back.

When installing the Bilstein coil overs, I would recommend installing the Tarett drop links at the same time. They don't add that much to the overall price of the mod and it would save money in the long run, because you wouldn't have to pay to tear into the suspension again. They are definitely better than the stock links or the ones that come with the PSS 10 kit.

Can, I'm surprised you've managed to keep this thread going for so long. It must be some sort of record.

Switching to drop links doesn't require 'tearing into the suspension', it's a 1hr DIY job.
    Again, not required with GMG sways(others ?), but they look nice I guess.

Quote:
    TT Surgeon said:
    Switching to drop links doesn't require 'tearing into the suspension', it's a 1hr DIY job.
    Again, not required with GMG sways(others ?), but they look nice I guess.

I wonder why 911 Carrera Cup racing cars have stayed with production drop links when there are nicer looking ones available.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    I wonder why 911 Carrera Cup racing cars have stayed with production drop links when there are nicer looking ones available.

Ahh, fritz, you finally joins my thread. Chris (TTSurgeon) and you are making me work hard. To answer your question: Why do people stay with stock link in cup cars?

First, because the setup in the cup car is not the same as the Turbo. With after market sway AND lowering, the angle between the sway bar connecting point and the suspension frame has changed from stock in the Turbo. This causes a change in angle of connection (see picture above) that as mentioned may be acceptable, but not good enough for me . This situation may or may not happen in the cup car.

Second, I don't believe all people stay with stock link in cup car. See enclosed picture -- don't mean to be a smart a** with the arrow. It's for those not familiar. This picture is from a rennlist member with a cup car; the link is not Tarett, but the construction similar or same. The one thing that's remarkable about using after-market drop link is this: Of all the (hundreds?) of posts I've seen in 996 & 997 TT, 996 & 997 GT3, and here the cup car, not one person has reverted back to stock. None that I know of.

Third, I did run across someone asking a similar question on rennlist 996 GT3 forum. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=421588&highlight=tarett:

Question, Posted by DanH:
    Thanks those do look like they might solve the problem. I wonder if the cup car ones aren't a bit simpler and less expensive. :

Answer, Posted by Austin:
    The Cup ones are super thin, if the rules allow you to change them, everyone always does. The Cup ones bend so easily, you can bend them with your hands. I think they're around the price of the others on the market. ****That's one factory part I can't recommend.**** (Here talking about the front link, later mentioning rear link also needs to be more robust also.)

I know the TRG ones well of course, they bolt to the wheel carrier pinch bolt, make sure you get the longer bolt or full hardware kit with them. They're also right and left hand thread, your mechanic or alignment shop will thank you. At the wheel carrier pinch bolt, re-use or replace the factory flange pinch nut, no washer.

Regards,
    Can

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Thanks for the avatar. Could you please reduce this one too?

Here you go...
    /uploads/474442-cannga2.gif

Quote:
    cannga said:
    First, because the setup in the cup car is not the same as the Turbo. With after market sway AND lowering, the angle between the sway bar connecting point and the suspension frame has changed from stock in the Turbo. This causes a change in angle of connection (see picture above) that as mentioned may be acceptable, but not good enough for me . This situation may or may not happen in the cup car.

I believe Porsche Parts can supply any length stock drop-links. My fitter says he can get me any size very easily without having to go to Tarett.

Alex,

Thanks for the pic; I see the gif format allows the file size to be small.

You do NOT need any new drop link. All of this will make a lot more sense if you get to see how the sway bar is installed and get to look at the drop link, but the issue is not related to length. It's about the angle of connection and whether that sway bar is functioning at max effectiveness with a weak link in between. Bottom line is: Let me assure you that the stock drop link works just fine. That's how mine was set up at first and I loved it.

Will you have time to come out and watch when they work on your car? I couldn't because of my work but they left the wheels open and explain things to me afterwards. It was interesting.

Installer might measure starting ride height for you, but if not, you might want to measure fender height to ground for documentation sake. Try to pick a level spot, and remember there IS variation, I vaguely recall reading that 10mm variation is within spec. I think the measurement provides a point for you to assure yourself afterwards, to some degree, that the front and back have been lowered a similar amount (you don't want different lowering!) and that the amount lowered is what you expect.

Following are my numbers before lowering, unit is cm:
    LF 67.6 RF 67.1
    LR 69.0 RR 68.7

After installation, mine has a few mm's variation, but the car tracts absolutely straight so I am not touching it. In addition, complicated topic, but if you are going to corner balance (I did not), then the variation might be even more. (Corner balance is done by adjusting ride height at each wheel, another reason why you need an adjustable drop link if you want to corner balance properly.)

Out of curiosity, prior to the suspension installation, I also picked a point on the car's frame itself and measured because I wasn't sure how accurate a fender measurement is. Enclosed is a picture of an arbitrary point I picked for the rear. There is some bolt somewhere around this area where the "official" ride height measurement is done, but this point is more accessible and good enough for me. I did same with the front.

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

I believe Porsche Parts can supply any length stock drop-links. My fitter says he can get me any size very easily without having to go to Tarett.

Larry,

LOL. All this work and "investigation"; I could have just brought your car to Lucent and told them "make mine the same."

Just trying to make it easy for others and provides all the basic info in one thread with my postings. Plus free advertising for Bilstein for saving me a lot of pain and $$$ (before this installation, I was seriously planning to trade-in my Turbo) and for converting my car into the world's best daily driver.

You may not know it, but your car was my "guinea pig" for the Tarett drop link. I mean, I was aware that it is popular among the GT3 crowd, but knowing that yours (& Jason's) has it with the Bilstein and evaluated by a professional shop was the extra assurance I needed.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    When installing the Bilstein coil overs, I would recommend installing the Tarett drop links at the same time. They don't add that much to the overall price of the mod and it would save money in the long run, because you wouldn't have to pay to tear into the suspension again. They are definitely better than the stock links or the ones that come with the PSS 10 kit.

Can, I'm surprised you've managed to keep this thread going for so long. It must be some sort of record.

Little track update, went to Watkin's Glen on Monday, first real chance to try out the new suspension on a long, fast track.
    Even though it was alittle wet in the AM, it dried up. The car just flat stuck like glue! I was going faster than I ever have there in the past, 2:10 in the red group. The car handled great, no body lean at all, no pogo effect, basically ate everything whole in my group. I wouldn't touch a thing on this car now.
    Here's a shot in the rain.

Chris,

Sounds like you own a fantastic track monster. It cracks me up that people continue to take the comfort-oriented stock Turbo to the track and proclaim so and so beats it.

Are you using the MS cup tires now? For daily driving? Would appreciate your opinions re.
    1. Ride -- is it much stiffer?
    2. Handling in the dry -- I know it makes a difference on the track but is the difference noticeable on street driving?
    3. Handling in the wet -- not too bad?

TIA

Quote:
    TT Surgeon said:
    Little track update, went to Watkin's Glen on Monday, first real chance to try out the new suspension on a long, fast track.
    Even though it was alittle wet in the AM, it dried up. The car just flat stuck like glue! I was going faster than I ever have there in the past, 2:10 in the red group. The car handled great, no body lean at all, no pogo effect, basically ate everything whole in my group. I wouldn't touch a thing on this car now.
    Here's a shot in the rain.

Yes, I have the MSC(sport cups, N rated). They are fine for daily driving, a little noisier than b stones, but so what?
    They are awsome in the dry and pretty fair in the rain, nothing like old school cups, where it's white knuckle driving. These actually have a couple of extra grooves and water channels, as well as a slightly harder cmpd, still R cmpd.

TTSurgeon a few of questions for you. Are those michelin cups a new version compared to the originals? MSC plus?
    How do they compare to the corsa (which I am currently using)? R they more track oriented, with consequently less life and worse performance in the rain?
    You car has toe links, dog bones, thrust bushing front/rear AND the GT3 trailing arms with the monoball in the middle?
    Also to get neutral handling are you using setting 2 front/ rear on the sways?
    Alignment; I am running -1.25 / -2 but am still getting power oversteer (albeit on slippery roads). What settings do you have?

I am experimenting with quite a few things so all inputs appreciated! Many thanks!

These tires are the N rated michelin cups that are oem on the gt3rs/gt2. i have had them back to back with the corsas(same oem N rated version), the cups are vastly superior on the track and not quiet as good on the street(rain and all).
    They are not the old cups you can buy that are not N rated, without the extra grooves. A guy on rennlist in the gt3 section has some nice side by side shots(don't know how to link, sorry).
    My cups have about 1500+ street miles, two track days and barely any wear, can't beat that! "Real cups" would have been 1/2 gone by now.
    My car has gmg springs, sways, dog bones, toe links, thrust bushings and CUP trailing arms bc the new thrust bushings are slightly thinner than stock and you have to do this according to Farnbacherloles to fit properly. It's actually a front trailing arm mounted in the rear I believe. I'll take a pic later.
    I'm running -1.5 front/-2.1 rear, the sways are set in the middle hole front and rear. The max front camber I could get is about 1.9 without changing anything else. I think the secret is the total gmg package set up by a pro shop(FL).
    It's so much nicer to just go to the track, drive in don't change anything but your tire pressure, then drive home. No 'track rims', pads, etc. Yeah, it's a compromise, but so much less hassle.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802454 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448315 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265870 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89879 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6347 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885242 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831676 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM