Quote:
fritz said:
I wonder why 911 Carrera Cup racing cars have stayed with production drop links when there are nicer looking ones available.

Ahh, fritz, you finally joins my thread. Chris (TTSurgeon) and you are making me work hard. To answer your question: Why do people stay with stock link in cup cars?

First, because the setup in the cup car is not the same as the Turbo. With after market sway AND lowering, the angle between the sway bar connecting point and the suspension frame has changed from stock in the Turbo. This causes a change in angle of connection (see picture above) that as mentioned may be acceptable, but not good enough for me . This situation may or may not happen in the cup car.

Second, I don't believe all people stay with stock link in cup car. See enclosed picture -- don't mean to be a smart a** with the arrow. It's for those not familiar. This picture is from a rennlist member with a cup car; the link is not Tarett, but the construction similar or same. The one thing that's remarkable about using after-market drop link is this: Of all the (hundreds?) of posts I've seen in 996 & 997 TT, 996 & 997 GT3, and here the cup car, not one person has reverted back to stock. None that I know of.

Third, I did run across someone asking a similar question on rennlist 996 GT3 forum. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=421588&highlight=tarett:

Question, Posted by DanH:
Thanks those do look like they might solve the problem. I wonder if the cup car ones aren't a bit simpler and less expensive. :

Answer, Posted by Austin:
The Cup ones are super thin, if the rules allow you to change them, everyone always does. The Cup ones bend so easily, you can bend them with your hands. I think they're around the price of the others on the market. ****That's one factory part I can't recommend.**** (Here talking about the front link, later mentioning rear link also needs to be more robust also.)

I know the TRG ones well of course, they bolt to the wheel carrier pinch bolt, make sure you get the longer bolt or full hardware kit with them. They're also right and left hand thread, your mechanic or alignment shop will thank you. At the wheel carrier pinch bolt, re-use or replace the factory flange pinch nut, no washer.

Regards,
Can