Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Do You FEEL Guilty...? Well, Do Ya..., PUNK!??

Okay, this is what I do:

Drive on familiar roads
    Never speed in people's neighborhoods
    Slow down near hazards
    NEVER "buzz" other drivers
    My pedal-to-metal high speed travel never has witnesses
    I hit 130mph when conditions are perfect (no cars, clear, etc)
    100+mph is typical - again nobody around (except in rear view mirror, no kidding).

Seriously, the only thing other motorists have against me is subjective, "That guy in that Porsche passed me too fast." (more to do with Porsche than actual speed) or, "That guy who just passed me must have _really_ stepped on it, look how small he got!"

Again my "witnesses" to extreme speed really are only in rear view mirror. Rarely am I humming with oncoming traffic approaching (could be cops!).

Anyway I fell asleep the other night feeling like sh*t. Like I am going to get nailed by cops, or like I _should_ get nailed by cops, or some freaky-pissed motorist is gonna find out where I live.

Started to feel like I'm still a menace to society by exceeding speed limits under the strictest rules (my own) and sooner or later it's going to catch up with me.

Started to think I'll leave the P-car parked for a week or two until the "heat" dies down.

Ever feel that way? It's almost not worth it if you let it get to you. It starts to seem really stupid to drive these cars.

Please help me.

( )

Re: Do You FEEL Guilty...? Well, Do Ya..., PUNK!??

worried about getting caught? just change a new license plate, or spray the car another color...

seriously I have the same feeling as you when I was driving fast in my younger days. Now I don't drive too fast on public roads, I let my steam out on the track...

I used to drive like a total maniac. Achieved speeds and cornering on twisty country roads that are just unimaginable... the mere thought of that sort of insanity makes me cringe now. That was only 3-5 years ago...

Just not worth it, I had so much time on various tracks now that it got it out of my system for road driving.

Living in NYC also helped, so many pedestrians... if you get past 40 mph it starts to feel very unsafe. People just jump out of the woodwork... Like the deer now, they are no longer afraid of cars.

Happy safe motoring

Here on the great plains the deterent to high speeds are great big pieces of very slow moving farm equipment. That and cattle on the road will always get your attention.

Re: Do You FEEL Guilty...? Well, Do Ya..., PUNK!?

Some of us also have responsabilities in regard to the workplace... My employers would be very very pissed at me if I were to loose my license for speeding (or other), and no doubt there would be large economical consequences... Not worth it...

Now that spring has sprung here in Jersey, things will start to get interesting. People from all over the Tri-State Area (NY, Conn., & Penn.) will be invading our highways and byways to get to the Beach (Entire Jersey coastline). Every weekend until after Labor Day will be bumper to bumper. There will be no stretch of roadway to speed at all. You are required to take a "chill pill".

Driving fast in a stright line (highway or street) was something I enjoyed up until about 10 years ago, but no longer. The economic, social and mental costs to do this on public highways/roads are just too high, or at least my sensibilities have become more acute with age. I am still guilty of taking corners a bit aggressively. My last speeding ticket was when I rounded a corner at 15mph above the 30mph limit (well within the limits of my car and I think my skills) and a police car came into view. The officer glued his eyes to my car and he swung his head around as we passed by each other. I immediately turned off to the side of the road and waited. Sure enough he soon pulled up behind me with lights flashing. I was guilty, but I don't want to be a punk.

You should only feel guilty if you are putting innocent people's lives at risk...

If not - ENJOY!

I am too paranoid of cops/cameras to 'heavily' speed. Never had one speeding ticket as a result.

The roads I do put my foot down on are back roads with nobody about.

So no, don't feel guilty about having a very fast car.

What I do feel guilty about is how much I spent on 'a car'. Despite how happy it makes me when I drive it

You're thinking too much...

Sounds like you're being responsible enough, not going to hurt anybody... Get over it, it's America, you're starting to bend under the pressures of "the man", who'll take your car, stick you on a bus, and tell you what to eat so you don't fart too many greenhouse gasses...

If you spend your life worrying about what the timid, or clueless, or bitter-self-pitying people are thinking of you, then you're effectively under their rule and thumb.

Enjoy yourself, you've only got one life, unless you're Shirley MacLaine....

Not at all because I know that, when I do it, is under conditions under which I am the only one that could get hurt, if anything went wrong.

I agree with Moogle and Targa - take it to the track - you'll be really glad you did!!

It not only "blows off steam," but I found that driving on public roads isn't even similar, - and now I'm not really tempted to drive like the phantom menace I used to be.

Compare it to learning to ski on the double diamonds, and then going back to a crowded bunny hill - you can't do any of the really fun stuff on the bunny hill, so you feel like, "why bother?"

Its easier than you think to do the track. I'm no expert, and I go. And if you need to be connected to "how to do it," many here would be happy to plug you in - including me.

Take it to track!

Even in Germany where you have some areas on the Autobahn you can speed its not the same then track. Autobahn is straight and you can reach 300 km/h, but track is real racing. breaking. corners. adrenalin. accelaration. speed. FUN!

No decent track less than two hours here... Shame...

Why take such a high risk with your any car....

When I want a thrill, I go to Disney World Hollywood and take trips on their "Rock and Roll" roller coaster...0-60 in 2.8 secs with 5G's force at the first turn...

OK, so I'm chicken....

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    Take it to track!

Even in Germany where you have some areas on the Autobahn you can speed its not the same then track. Autobahn is straight and you can reach 300 km/h, but track is real racing. breaking. corners. adrenalin. accelaration. speed. FUN!

Absolutely And you learn a lot of new things about your car....and about yourself

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Okay, this is what I do:

Drive on familiar roads
    Never speed in people's neighborhoods
    Slow down near hazards
    NEVER "buzz" other drivers
    My pedal-to-metal high speed travel never has witnesses
    I hit 130mph when conditions are perfect (no cars, clear, etc)
    100+mph is typical - again nobody around (except in rear view mirror, no kidding).

Seriously, the only thing other motorists have against me is subjective, "That guy in that Porsche passed me too fast." (more to do with Porsche than actual speed) or, "That guy who just passed me must have _really_ stepped on it, look how small he got!"

Again my "witnesses" to extreme speed really are only in rear view mirror. Rarely am I humming with oncoming traffic approaching (could be cops!).

Anyway I fell asleep the other night feeling like sh*t. Like I am going to get nailed by cops, or like I _should_ get nailed by cops, or some freaky-pissed motorist is gonna find out where I live.

Started to feel like I'm still a menace to society by exceeding speed limits under the strictest rules (my own) and sooner or later it's going to catch up with me.

Started to think I'll leave the P-car parked for a week or two until the "heat" dies down.

Ever feel that way? It's almost not worth it if you let it get to you. It starts to seem really stupid to drive these cars.

Please help me.

( )

Look at what extreme repression and a Police controlled country can do to you.

Since Bush got to the white house, his policy has been to scare people. Boo hoo.

If you're afraid of others and the police where you live, you should be moving as we speak.

Why do you feel so guilty anayway? You don't risk the life of others, you're pretty respectful of others on the road. You should be proud of yourself.

I know some idiots who drive small cars like mad man in a mad max movie.

Chill.

Yup, who cares if I smash car and maybe scratch a bridge abuttment: that's _my_ business. Then there's the loved ones at home..., oops!

But you guys make a lot of sense. I'm definitely gonna cool it for now on even if it means sticking a yellow post-it with the words "No Excess Speed!" on dash.

Problem still remains though:

How many cars do you pass? I'm on the main rural highway for about an hour and I must pass ten or fifteen cars. If you got all those drivers in the same room they would charge, convict and sentence me in ten minutes!!!

It's really unfair because I _think_ I'm allowed to pass like I do. I do it SAFELY and I do not scare the crap outta the cars I pass.

Why pass? Not because I want to go 90mph but rather I simply want to be in front of drivers who are lazy and going 50, 52, 56, 49, 52, 48, 56 mph in the span of five minutes.

Dammit! I should just get a slow, low HP car and go exact speed limit and have ten cars following me. Can get a DVD player to pass the time. I'd still get where I'm going only five or ten minutes later. Seriously: get a Kevlar vest and drive 55.

I estimate 30% of other drivers are suuuuch fkn eediots!

Yes I do. The image of being the young fool to wrap the car on a lonely road is enough to keep me from being too stupid on public roads. I cannot WAIT to get this beast on a track.

Guilt for me comes more from spending the insane $$$ on a car. I cringe when friends say I deserve it. No one "deserves" a car worth 3 times what most folks make in a year. Or, a whole lot more deserve them than can get them... Rest assured, however, this is not stopping me from enjoying the car one iota.

And, let's not forget the environment. I'm buying green tags to assuage my guilt... ($200 for a years polluting! Cheap!)

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    No decent track less than two hours here... Shame...

I used to consider every empty resovoir road to be my personal track Quite a few of those.

The dichotomy of this thread and all the ones complaining that the cars need more horse power is interesting

dude just go to the track and do what you do with a Porsche...thats gonna make u more relaxed on the streets too!

Quote:
    rantanplan said:
    dude just go to the track and do what you do with a Porsche...thats gonna make u more relaxed on the streets too!

Yup! Makes perfect sense.

Today I drove with a yellow postit saying "Take It Easy" stuck to the PCM.

It worked! I really just relaxed and didn't pass other cars "routinely."

Funny how the mind works!

Thanks for the input guys.

You need to find the right roads. You don't have to speed to enjoy the Porsche. (This is a common fault with those driving the Turbos). It's the handling capabilities of the Carrera that make them so fun,--but then, I don't think you have a Carrera, now do you?

Dan

Hey Dan, it's not really speeding I'm into. I just can't stand drivers in front of me who go from 55 to 49 to 57 to 61 to 48. I just gotta get in front of them so I tend to pass almost everybody because I can pass everybody . You know, except for the passing addiction, seeking to go 62-65 in a 55 with nobody in front of me is the extent of my "crimes."

Unless conditions become clean and green (no one around) then I'll _step_ on the gas.

BTW, I had a 997S for a while and (except for HP/Tq) I don't see how driving on public roads is significantly different with the Turbo. Actually, LOL, getting occasionally frisky with the TT on known twisties is scary-er (in a good way).

Just had to rub it in that you are a FORMER Carrera owner and now merely have a turbo. :-)

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Just had to rub it in that you are a FORMER Carrera owner and now merely have a turbo. :-)

Haha No problemo.

It's my demented passing addiction that turned into HP cravings.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802977 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448480 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266007 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90006 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6492 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832867 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM