Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Porsche Macan

Back to colors for a Macan turbo:

1) Agate with black/red interior (we hate silver but is agate different enough? Like a Flat grey?)

2) White with black/red interior (hate white)

3) Mahogany with sand or brown interior (not fan of brown cars and can't get the red interior).

We like bright colors and want the car very sporty to replace a nordic gold Cayenne TT

I assume the blue in the presentation will not be available for a may/june build...

Also what is that Aurum metallic? Champagne pink?

Aurum stands in Latin for Gold. So maybe an good sucessor to your gold CTT :)

vtrader:
    RC:

The have one of the most sophisticated and modern paint shops in the world but still... yes

But on these cars, isn't VW making the body and painting them? When I first saw the color choices, the first thing that came to mind was "Great, VW reduced the color selection".

And RC, you are talking about VW or does Porsche also have a smaller body assembly plant? From a National Geographic TV show I saw on the Panamera, the smocks on the workers were clearly saying "VW" where the bodies were being made.

--
    Porsche owner since 1975.

Even Audi has a better color selection than Porsche in my opinion, so I doubt it has something to do with VW making the body parts for Porsche. I don't know what is going on. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Wonderbar:

Agree with Emmanuel.  I can honestly say that, when I bought my first Porsche in 1966, I bought it because it was unique, mysteriously appealing and the antithesis of other muscle and sports cars.  I was hooked then, and am still hooked.  Badge had nothing to do with it...

I always get mad when people accuse me of buying the brand. Whoever knows me also knows that I am crazy about Porsche but at the same time, I am also very critical of the brand because I think that some things aren't going the way I would expect them to go as a customer. Of course Porsche has their market analysis and they probably know better what the majority of Porsche customers want but I guess I (and a major part of the users of this forum) are not the typical Porsche crowd. Smiley

However, I am pretty sure that a pretty big part of potential Macan customers will probably prefer the Macan over the Audi counterpart because of the brand name and reputation. No doubt about it. Is it something bad? Not really. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:
    Wonderbar:

Agree with Emmanuel.  I can honestly say that, when I bought my first Porsche in 1966, I bought it because it was unique, mysteriously appealing and the antithesis of other muscle and sports cars.  I was hooked then, and am still hooked.  Badge had nothing to do with it...

I always get mad when people accuse me of buying the brand. Whoever knows me also knows that I am crazy about Porsche but at the same time, I am also very critical of the brand because I think that some things aren't going the way I would expect them to go as a customer. Of course Porsche has their market analysis and they probably know better what the majority of Porsche customers want but I guess I (and a major part of the users of this forum) are not the typical Porsche crowd. Smiley

+1.  People who know me understand why I chose my 987 but the rest of the public at large tend to assume it was for the negative reasons, which can get irritating.  I get frustrated that a brand I love is not making a sports car I want but the Macan has certainly caught my attention.  This is odd becasue whilst I am contemplating a more practical daily driver, SUVs have never been my bag but there is something about the Macan that appeals.   

If I get one it will be because it is the best combination of driving fun, comfort and (moderate) practicality in my budget.  That it looks good IMO and has is a Porsche are just bonuses.  However, the Alpina D3 will be a strong rival.  The Audi Q5/SQ5 does not even register on my radar.

--

Gen II Cayman S

The problem with the Macan is not the Macan Turbo or even the S. The problem with perception of the "sportiest" small SUV in it's class (or the sportscar of it's class), as claimed by various Porsche officials, will start with the introduction of the 204 hp basic Diesel Macan. Porsche can turn it how they want but the Macan Diesel will be, just like the Cayenne Diesel, just a small SUV with a Porsche badge. Yes, it will feel sportier than direct competitors and yes, it will be more expensive but the basic models are actually the problem for the brand. However, without these base models, Porsche would probably sell only 10 or 20% of the predicted sales figures.

Difficult, really difficult. I want to get the new Macan Turbo, it really is an attractive offer vs. the Cayenne GTS I am driving right now but I'm afraid that in the end, even the Macan Turbo will be viewed as some sort of Audi Q5 with Porsche badge and not even close to the Cayenne's (quite good...so far) reputation.

Another problem of the Macan Turbo: The price tag with all options I want is close to 100k EUR. Compared to the Cayenne GTS or even the Turbo, a highly attractive price tag. Compared to the upcoming new X5M or even the current ML63 AMG, not so much. I think that Porsche cars got too expensive over the past couple of years.

So while I am thinking about a Macan Turbo to replace my Cayenne GTS, I actually started to look into a different direction too. The Macan Turbo lease offers aren't really attractive right now and buying a 95k EUR car, just to be hit with a 60% depreciation (worst case scenario) after three years...too risky.

--

With the standard spec on the turbo having most of what I want and the most expensive models usually suffering the worst depreciation, I must admit that I am tempted to wait for a used one.   That will also free up some budget for a better weekend toy. For the moment, I am perfectly happy with my 987 so unless work commitments force me to get a 4 door car,  there is no rush. 

Regarding the perception, I think the base Cayenne has set the precedent for a relatively affordable, and not very sporty Porsche SUV.  Porsche have pitched the price above its rivals yet it has sold in droves and no one seems to think its a tarted up VW.   Now they seem to have played the same game with the Macan and its only a bit cheaper than the Cayenne.   If the press photos are accurate, the low wide stance, decent interior and likely superior dynamics will really differentiate it too meaning it has all the ingredients to sell in volume but do little to damage the brand.  Time will tell...

--

Gen II Cayman S

RC:

The problem with the Macan is not the Macan Turbo or even the S. The problem with perception of the "sportiest" small SUV in it's class (or the sportscar of it's class), as claimed by various Porsche officials, will start with the introduction of the 204 hp basic Diesel Macan. Porsche can turn it how they want but the Macan Diesel will be, just like the Cayenne Diesel, just a small SUV with a Porsche badge. Yes, it will feel sportier than direct competitors and yes, it will be more expensive but the basic models are actually the problem for the brand. However, without these base models, Porsche would probably sell only 10 or 20% of the predicted sales figures.

This is a very subjective issue. I know I speak for a minority here but here it goes. I´ve been on this forum for almost 6 years and I consider myself a huge porsche fan even though I´ve never had one. For me the fact that a model is more accesible means that I could get to enjoy some of the magic sooner rather than later. So by wanting there to be a entry model that might bring the experience closer to me am I encouraging this devaluation of the brand and what it stands for? it´s a slippery slope when you think about it form where the new markets stand. For most it might be a cheaper status symbol, but for some of us it means more. 

hunterone:

Hmm imho the Q5 looks bland and boring - the Macan on the other side is for me kiss

but im a little bit biased as i ordered the Macan Turbo 

Well I think the Macan Turbo looks the best by far!! congrats on your order Smiley

--

turbolite

Enmanuel:
    turbolite:

Well I guess anyone who buys a porsche macan buys it because he wants to show off (with the badge) a bit and not blend in, because otherwise he would buy a Q5. 

That´s a bit unfair don´t you think? Sure a lot of people who buy brands like porsche do it to show off, but saying that anyone who prefers it to the competition is only in it for the flash is not right.

I owned a couple of Porsches (911s) and that's because i am a car and driving enthusiast amd these cars convey something only a sportscar can do. The SUVs with a Porsche badge are a different thing. i think that 90% of the people who get them don't even know what driving a sportscar means (and how this is done!), but they just love the halo of the Porsche badge. 

The rennteam community probably represents the other 10%. Mostly people who own/have owned real sportscars and drive an Suv as an add on to that or because of their life circumstances that doesnt allow for a sportscar for the time being.  So a Macan or Cayenne is fine for this 'true sportscar enthusiats category' too, but the main target of the Porsche marketing are people who just want to look good in a car with a Porsche badge...Smiley

--

turbolite

on german site there is a pdf with a lot of information. a lot of options is coming in 04/2014 or 10/2014. 

Sapphire blue and impulsrot metallic is coming 10/2014. But i think that is not October 2014 or April 2014. it is 4th and 10th week of production! so it is in the middle of march maybe! Russian dealer said to me that sapphire blue wil be awaible in march! could someone contact your dialers and try to find out 

vtrader:

Location of the battery is shown in the two following pictures:

_D7A7676.jpg_D7A7677.jpg

Not sure this is the battery.  All I can see are the charging/jump starting posts?  From a weight distribution perspective it would make sense to have the battery low down at the rear.

turbolite:
    Enmanuel:
    turbolite:

Well I guess anyone who buys a porsche macan buys it because he wants to show off (with the badge) a bit and not blend in, because otherwise he would buy a Q5. 

That´s a bit unfair don´t you think? Sure a lot of people who buy brands like Porsche do it to show off, but saying that anyone who prefers it to the competition is only in it for the flash is not right.

I owned a couple of Porsches (911s) and that's because i am a car and driving enthusiast amd these cars convey something only a sportscar can do. The SUVs with a Porsche badge are a different thing. i think that 90% of the people who get them don't even know what driving a sportscar means (and how this is done!), but they just love the halo of the Porsche badge. 

The rennteam community probably represents the other 10%. Mostly people who own/have owned real sportscars and drive an Suv as an add on to that or because of their life circumstances that doesnt allow for a sportscar for the time being.  So a Macan or Cayenne is fine for this 'true sportscar enthusiats category' too, but the main target of the Porsche marketing are people who just want to look good in a car with a Porsche badge...Smiley

I could not agree more. I purchased one of the first Cayenne's and drive it for several years. Had a host of problems with it. I then decided to buy a Honda CRV which is rated the best crossover SUV on the market. I have drive it 50,000 and other than an oil changes and tire replacement the car has been bullet proof.

It has the same capacity as the Cayenne, get better gas mileage and much cheaper to maintain. As much as I like the looks of the Macan, as of now I see no reason to buy into the Porsche mystic. I paid around $25,000 for the Honda. To pay 2 1/2 times as much for brand name with more creature comforts is beyond my comprehension.

That said, I have no doubt that the Macan will be a success. I wonder to what extent it will siphon off Cayenne sales. 

SportCarGroup:

Somehow the Macan reminds me of this angry

Bugatti-Galibier-16C-03.jpg

That reminds me on a Panamera Smiley

Nick, I often agree with your opinions--but to compare a Honda CRV to a Macan is, as you and I as attorneys would put it, "begging the question".  The differences between the two cars is far more than badge of mystique.  No need for me to elaborate the obvious...

Wonderbar:

Nick, I often agree with your opinions--but to compare a Honda CRV to a Macan is, as you and I as attorneys would put it, "begging the question".  The differences between the two cars is far more than badge of mystique.  No need for me to elaborate the obvious...

I still don't understand how Nick could actually buy a Honda CRV (seriously???) but I guess he has a different approach to cars than many of us. Smiley I would never ever drive a Honda CRV, I would rather walk or ride a bicycle but I guess this is me. Not that Nick didn't know before that I would say this.

For me, a car is not a tool to get from A to B. For me, a car is something I need to enjoy, to feel good in, to savor every moment, no matter if it is a daily driver or just a weekend fun car. I regret getting the Smart for my business and I'm kind of bored with all the Mini models we had so far but I would never ever get a Honda CRV. Never. Smiley

--

Try an XC90!!!! smiley

--

991 (what a car!) XC90 - Black/Black 2 kids, 1 dog

RC:
    Wonderbar:

I still don't understand how Nick could actually buy a Honda CRV (seriously???) but I guess he has a different approach to cars than many of us. Smiley I would never ever drive a Honda CRV, I would rather walk or ride a bicycle but I guess this is me. Not that Nick didn't know before that I would say this.

For me, a car is not a tool to get from A to B. For me, a car is something I need to enjoy, to feel good in, to savor every moment, no matter if it is a daily driver or just a weekend fun car. I regret getting the Smart for my business and I'm kind of bored with all the Mini models we had so far but I would never ever get a Honda CRV. Never. Smiley

Usually, I agree with you when it is about sportscars... But, apparently not when it is about SUVs.

Tell, me for example what can Macan Turbo better then Audi SQ5 TDI for example in my case when car will be used:

-75% of time in city driving, longest drive about 10km in heavy city traffic from Monday to Friday. Fuel consumption here is much better on diesel then on petrol engine.

-25% of time on local autobahns which are restricted to 130km/h and local Police do not like overspeeding at all. Porsche, even Macan also attracts a lot of attention while Audi blends nicelly with the crowd...

And my need to bigger trunk is a welcome thing(SQ5 TDI a better choice for sure).

Where would Macan Turbo fit here? Specially, if sportscar role is played by 991 Turbo or Turbo S?

In my subjective view buying Macan Turbo(or any Macan) makes only sense if you will drive it mostly on the autobahn or if it is your only car.

Yes, there is a third reason-potential buyer is die hard Porsche fan. And forth one-potential buyer wants to sow how fluent he/she is and show it to the public.

The Macan Turbo would be more fun to drive. I drove the SQ5 and it is a Diesel. Great torque in the city but on the Autobahn, the car sucks. Not much different than my wife's X3 35d.

So yes, even in the SUV segment, it makes a difference for me which car I drive. 

I would never get a Cayenne or Macan Diesel, also probably not the SQ5. I would get an Audi Q5 with a 400 hp fuel engine though if the chassis is fun to handle. 

I would even get a Jeep SRT8 for example because it would be a good value and offer a great engine. I would never get a Honda CRV, this would be just not my thing. Never. 

--

So, it is up to our very subjective views then?

For you and your need Macan Turbo is a must. For me, especially for city(I live in Zagreb which has a population of almost 1mil and traffic is pretty heavy, specially on rush hour) SQ5 TDI is a better choice.

Oh, we agee on one thing(or two) about SUVs-I would never buy Honda CRV or Volvo XC90 either.

Even if I have a brilliant weekend sports car, my daily driver has to be fun to drive.  The Audi SQ5 fails that test miserably and who knows how the Macan will fare.

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:

Even if I have a brilliant weekend sports car, my daily driver has to be fun to drive.  The Audi SQ5 fails that test miserably and who knows how the Macan will fare.

Now this is something I can put my signature under. Smiley Smiley

--

KresoF1:
    RC:
    Wonderbar:

Usually, I agree with you when it is about sportscars... But, apparently not when it is about SUVs.

Tell, me for example what can Macan Turbo better then Audi SQ5 TDI for example in my case when car will be used:

-75% of time in city driving, longest drive about 10km in heavy city traffic from Monday to Friday. Fuel consumption here is much better on diesel then on petrol engine.

-25% of time on local autobahns which are restricted to 130km/h and local Police do not like overspeeding at all. Porsche, even Macan also attracts a lot of attention while Audi blends nicelly with the crowd...

And my need to bigger trunk is a welcome thing(SQ5 TDI a better choice for sure).

Where would Macan Turbo fit here? Specially, if sportscar role is played by 991 Turbo or Turbo S?

In my subjective view buying Macan Turbo(or any Macan) makes only sense if you will drive it mostly on the autobahn or if it is your only car.

Yes, there is a third reason-potential buyer is die hard Porsche fan. And forth one-potential buyer wants to sow how fluent he/she is and show it to the public.

I have to agree with that.. After driving the SQ5 for more than a year now and having reached 85000km in it, I don't see the point of a 400hp gas guzzling SUV either. I've done numerous trips from Switzerland to Belgium and vice versa, always via Germany and the SQ5 does a cruise speed of 200km/h effordless. Faster is almost impossible most of the time and even 200 km/h for longer distances is only possible at night. I was always able to drive the whole distance (850km) without refueling, even at those speeds and in normal daily traffic I get about  6-7L/100km which is impossible with a Macan Turbo and yet it can drive equally as fast (and probably also feels as fast) on public roads than a Macan Turbo, simply because it is impossible and irrisponsible (dangerous) to drive faster. The looks of the car is of course a matter of taste. i like how the (S)Q5 looks and blends in with the "regular traffic", but other people may find that boring.... ;)

Even in a sportscar I don't see the point of driving over 250km/h that much to be honest. Unless you're able to drive almost every day on an almost empty, unrestricted part of the Autobahn, it's pointless to be able to drive that fast, unless you are gonna track the car on tracks with long straights or on a dragstrip. Acceleration gives a lot more fun IMO, untill a certain point. For me the most important factor a car and especially an sportscar needs to offer, is how it feels to be driven. Does the car make you feel special?, does the car handle like a dream?, can it put a smile on your face?....  All this can depend on so many things and not only on raw speed. At least, that's how I feel about it.... May be different for other people...

--

Suzy

What is the problem with a Honda? Value, reliability, resale value, utility? It beats everything on the market regarding these qualities.

Look I understand many of us would like a car to define us. I get that. But a SUV is a tool nothing more. It is not something I have fun driving. It is something I used for a specific purpose primarily getting around town and carrying things. I park it in places where I am not concerned it might get damaged and don't need to wash every other days to impress.

nberry:

What is the problem with a Honda? Value, reliability, resale value, utility? It beats everything on the market regarding these qualities.

Look I understand many of us would like a car to define us. I get that. But a SUV is a tool nothing more. It is not something I have fun driving. It is something I used for a specific purpose primarily getting around town and carrying things. I park it in places where I am not concerned it might get damaged and don't need to wash every other days to impress.

Nick,

I tend to agree with you on some points. BUT, here in EU I want for city daily driving a diesel SUV. If you had a chance to try Audi SQ5 TDI(313hp diesel biturbo with 8 speed automatic) you would never think again about Honda CRV-trust me on this.

And yes, SUV ia a tool for me as well-but, I wan tmy tool to be little bit better then "average" tool...Smiley

Ahh all the brag about that a DD needs only to be practicable is imho nonsense. We are all car heads here and also want for a DD a fun car to drive. SQ5 is a really nice car but I for me don’t like the design/shape that much and that’s why I’ve chosen the Macan. Also I don’t like the Evoque and the new RR Sport design – but here I’m in the minority on Rennteam ;)

RC:
    Wonderbar:

For me, a car is not a tool to get from A to B. For me, a car is something I need to enjoy, to feel good in, to savor every moment, no matter if it is a daily driver or just a weekend fun car. I regret getting the Smart for my business and I'm kind of bored with all the Mini models we had so far but I would never ever get a Honda CRV. Never. 

nberry:

Let´s put it this way, we cannot accuse Nick of a lack of open-mindedness when it comes to cars... Smiley

I can somewhat understand his POV regarding his daily driver but what he obviously fails to capture is the difference between a CRV and a Q5/Macan in terms of sophistication, feel and design. Whether the latter is worth two times the price of the former is a matter of priorities but I heavily doubt both cars perform on an equal level.

nberry:

Agree...we currently have Acura MDX 's & many prior. Can't beat them for reliability & resale value (I personally like the looks). This 2014 gets 22mpg in town & near 30 highway. Prior to purchasing we looked AGAIN at all flavors of Cayenne,  Audi & BMW. None could come close to the features of the Acura for the $ - In fact somewhere around $20,000 more. That's crazy + in a few years they are worth about the same in the used market. The dealer experience has been excellent w/Acura.

OK so it's an appliance - my dogs don't care & I don't care.  The 991S is there when I feel the need.  This SUV drives great as a bonus .........

1386270211102P1020303.JPGP1020202.JPG

Uh, so i´m not the only one with a new asian crossover now. perfect indecision

the face of the MDX is a touch heavy handed

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803587 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448644 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266243 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90129 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6673 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885943 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833638 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM