The problem with the Macan is not the Macan Turbo or even the S. The problem with perception of the "sportiest" small SUV in it's class (or the sportscar of it's class), as claimed by various Porsche officials, will start with the introduction of the 204 hp basic Diesel Macan. Porsche can turn it how they want but the Macan Diesel will be, just like the Cayenne Diesel, just a small SUV with a Porsche badge. Yes, it will feel sportier than direct competitors and yes, it will be more expensive but the basic models are actually the problem for the brand. However, without these base models, Porsche would probably sell only 10 or 20% of the predicted sales figures.

Difficult, really difficult. I want to get the new Macan Turbo, it really is an attractive offer vs. the Cayenne GTS I am driving right now but I'm afraid that in the end, even the Macan Turbo will be viewed as some sort of Audi Q5 with Porsche badge and not even close to the Cayenne's (quite good...so far) reputation.

Another problem of the Macan Turbo: The price tag with all options I want is close to 100k EUR. Compared to the Cayenne GTS or even the Turbo, a highly attractive price tag. Compared to the upcoming new X5M or even the current ML63 AMG, not so much. I think that Porsche cars got too expensive over the past couple of years.

So while I am thinking about a Macan Turbo to replace my Cayenne GTS, I actually started to look into a different direction too. The Macan Turbo lease offers aren't really attractive right now and buying a 95k EUR car, just to be hit with a 60% depreciation (worst case scenario) after three years...too risky.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)