2) Chassie - Handling Characteristic Of M3

Well, it is too early to comment on this, but here is my initial impression:

Most of the time, the steering wheel is in normal mode which has a lighter steering feel than sport. In sport mode, steering feel is heavier. with less than 2,5 tour from lock-lock, it has a quick ratio. It is direct and plenty of feed back. Maybe this is just me since I know the response of the car, but I can feel what the front tires are doing by the steering wheel. I doesn't bother me it lacks the extra feeling of 911 steering, because I don't like to feel everything on the road, especially on our poor roads. Feeling the grip level of the front wheels and direction of the tires are enough for me.

Also, I always drive the car in comfort mode (EDC) It feels like, I have a cushion between the car and the road. In sport mode, the car bounces a lot, again on our poor roads.

So what does it mean to drive the car in lighter mode of the quick ratio steering wheel and comfort mode of EDC:

The controls of the car is direct BUT the car doesn't response directly. It feels heavy, and soft to change of direction. You feel little numb. However, heavier mode of the steering wheel with normal or sport mode of EDC may change things. A true Porsche 911 fan would hate this. The car more feels like a GT car instead of a true sports car.

One thing I noticed and like about E92 chassie is its neutral balance. My previous M3, both E36 and E46 tend to understeer if you are not on the throttle. In a corner, they first want to understeer. However, in E92, the car had more neutral balance and with throttle input, it starts to oversteer very nicely. Last night, around a 360 degree turn which had a very slippery asphalt, I threw the car in to the corner just after I brake for the corner and downshift a gear, the car just turned-in and took the corner. Then I put some throttle into the equation, and the rear of the car started to steer beautifully. with a quarter tour of opposite lock on the steering wheel and the car took almost all the turn with oversteer. A huge fun for me

I haven't made the toe-in adjustments yet since the suspansion of the car hasn't settled. But, after toe-in adjustment, I think chassie balance would be perfect.

I only wish that it was 100 kg lighter.  

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)