Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PDK buttons, is an after-market solution possible?

I was about to go ahead with my order for a PDK 997 cab, until my fears were confirmed regarding the steering wheel mounted gear-change buttons.
    The reviews from the experts and users have so far been consistent, most if not all really like the pdk itself, but most do not find the gear-shift buttons workable, or satisfying to use.

My question is (other than wondering about the rationalle behind these buttons) can a third party solution comprising two "standard" paddle-shifts for this ever be possible (from a technical and safety stand-point)?
    Was an after-market solution like this ever available for a porsche?

Re: PDK buttons, is an after-market solution possible?

An after market solution shouldn't be impossible but it would require some significant work in modifying the control unit for the buttons.

by the sound of it , emperor, it will not be easy. how unfortunate.

Quote:
    P_Nut said:
    I was about to go ahead with my order for a PDK 997 cab, until my fears were confirmed regarding the steering wheel mounted gear-change buttons.
    The reviews from the experts and users have so far been consistent, most if not all really like the pdk itself, but most do not find the gear-shift buttons workable, or satisfying to use.

My question is (other than wondering about the rationalle behind these buttons) can a third party solution comprising two "standard" paddle-shifts for this ever be possible (from a technical and safety stand-point)?

What I would ask you to do is drive the car yourself and don't believe all that you read in the magazines. The Porsche "button" system I tried myself without any problems whatsoever.

Reviewers often drive many different systems in the span of a week and they end up confused.

Moreover, some people who aspire to racing find fault with the direction of the up/down changes on the Porsche system.

After you drive the car, if you decide that "buttons" are not for you then you can put an order for the up-coming BMW M3 cabrio or even better choice the new Ferrari California, both with double clutch transmissions.

Be careful though not to end up pushing the wrong buttons

Quote:
    P_Nut said:

Porsche screwed this one up good. Too bad. "after-market solution"? Yep, buy an F1 Ferrari. I'm sorry, that's not helpful, it's just that I dont understand why they would have mounted buttons on the steering wheel, ITS SO STUPID!

...beyond stupid...

Porsche is going down, down, down IMO... Shadow of their former selves...Pity

/uploads/459040-118138ob.gif

maybe i should take that off rather ...

But its how I feel sometimes when I'm reading RennTeam...Caused either by my dear friend Nick or by my former fav car manufacturer...

Quote:
    BC911 said:

But its how I feel sometimes when I'm reading RennTeam...Caused either by my dear friend Nick or by my former fav car manufacturer...

Yes, it is amusing how fickle people are and get carried away by the opinions of others instead of formulating their own.

If you think about it, this is how politicians manage to fool the public and survive in power.

Re: PDK buttons, is an after-market solution possi

What is beyond me, is why not offer an OPTION??

Obviously, there is a lot of people who would LIKE paddle shifters.

Porsche seems to have no problem charging us for optioning a car the way we want - why not offer this?

I can certainly understand why they did it they way they did - and I am sure there will be people who are happy as a clam with it. But why alienate the ones who want paddles and are willing to pay extra to get them?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    P_Nut said:

Porsche screwed this one up good. Too bad. "after-market solution"? Yep, buy an F1 Ferrari. I'm sorry, that's not helpful, it's just that I dont understand why they would have mounted buttons on the steering wheel, ITS SO STUPID!

stradale. Thanks for your input. I am -in a way- pleased to see that you and others have similar disappointments about those buttons. At least I am not alone.

I already have an F1 430, and I think it is great.

I was looking for a daily commute car, and I thought the PDK 997 was perfect for me in every way, but I can not believe the decision Porsche took in relation to the PDK controls. why....

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    BC911 said:

Yes, it is amusing how fickle people are and get carried away by the opinions of others instead of formulating their own.

If you think about it, this is how politicians manage to fool the public and survive in power.

That's pretty patronizing. Why dont think P_Nut, BC911 or I can have our own opinions? RE: politics, there's a certain word; "fascism". Try to be a little less sensative re: your stance vs others here, it's not good to have issues when everyone doesnt agree w/ you. I have to catch myself sometimes doing the same thing. I've learnt it's never going to happen, where everyone has the same opinion, that's what makes this place so interesting. Just saying try to live & let live a bit more, you may even learn something. peace.

Quote:
    P_Nut said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    P_Nut said:

stradale. Thanks for your input. I am -in a way- pleased to see that you and others have similar disappointments about those buttons. At least I am not alone.

I was looking for a daily commute car, and I thought the PDK 997 was perfect for me in every way, but I can not believe the decision Porsche took in relation to the PDK controls. why....

I honestly dont know. I would have thought they would have realized the amount of people that hated the moving target tip buttons because they were on the steering wheel. I mean I honestly have never heard anyone complaining that they wish the stationary F1 style paddles were more like the tip & on the steering wheel instead. Guess everyones different but I'll never get using buttons on a rotating steering wheel, it really drives me nuts. With the stationary paddles it give you so much more flexibility in terms of where your hand/fingers are. I may keep my Turbo Cab but then again I know how I am & seeing the next Turbo Cab will probably make me want to trade & I was thinking of perhaps going the PDK route if there is a next time because I do often get caught in a lot of traffic but I dont see it happening now. I guess there will be people who like it, I just wonder if any of them have a lot of driving experience w/ a great F1 box & are also F1 Ferrari owners like you & I? Just dont have a good explaination of why they did that.

didnt ruf configure a tip (c12?) with proper paddle shifters?....not cheap if they did

Until we're able to drive a PDK-equipped car and try it for ourselves, reginos was dead on, all of us are just speculating.

Look at it this way (just my us$.02). Just a guess but maybe the traditional paddle design ONLY makes sense in F1 cars (small wheels, tight steering, no shift lever alternative) Perhaps Porsche is aware of this and made their PDK "buttons" version more driver friendly, less race car friendly.

I suspect this race vs. driver car thing because the paddles in my M3 are fairly small. Not huge "bat wings" like on F-cars.

I doubt we'll be able to acceptably change things with aftermarket units because, unless you tolerate useless and therefore rendered-ugly buttons, the whole wheel will probably have to go.

Keep in mind the shift lever works great as an alternative to buttons and paddles. IOW, when it's more comfortable to use buttons, you use them. Go to shifter when you feel like it. Works great in my SMG M3. Might be another reason why F1 paddles are so big: no space for optional shift lever

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    didnt ruf configure a tip (c12?) with proper paddle shifters?....not cheap if they did

That's right, the fixed the tip problem. That would be a great way to fix the spinning wheel w/ little buttons Dilemma. Ruf knows. Ferrari knows. Lambo knows. Porsche,,well....guess they wanted to target the feminine audience, who knows. It makes as much sense as it's name, rolls right off your tongue, dont it; "Porsche Doppel Kupplungen". LoL!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    P_Nut said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    P_Nut said:

I honestly dont know. I would have thought they would have realized the amount of people that hated the moving target tip buttons because they were on the steering wheel. I mean I honestly have never heard anyone complaining that they wish the stationary F1 style paddles were more like the tip & on the steering wheel instead. Guess everyones different but I'll never get using buttons on a rotating steering wheel, it really drives me nuts. With the stationary paddles it give you so much more flexibility in terms of where your hand/fingers are. I may keep my Turbo Cab but then again I know how I am & seeing the next Turbo Cab will probably make me want to trade & I was thinking of perhaps going the PDK route if there is a next time because I do often get caught in a lot of traffic but I dont see it happening now. I guess there will be people who like it, I just wonder if any of them have a lot of driving experience w/ a great F1 box & are also F1 Ferrari owners like you & I? Just dont have a good explaination of why they did that.

"Moving target" is a very accurate way to describe it. When I used a tip porsche for the first time, I was surprised how difficult they were to operate. I kept the car in auto mode all the time. I blamed myself for being ignorant or lacking experience, or both.

The F1 fixed paddles are much better, at least for a road car where steering input is substantial.
    I would have thought similar fixed paddles on a Porsche are probably simpler to engineer too.

I hope somebody at Porsche resolves this - or at least give us paddles as an option if the buttons are important to some users

Quote:
    P_Nut said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    P_Nut said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    P_Nut said:

"Moving target" is a very accurate way to describe it. When I used a tip porsche for the first time, I was surprised how difficult they were to operate. I kept the car in auto mode all the time. I blamed myself for being ignorant or lacking experience, or both.

The F1 fixed paddles are much better, at least for a road car where steering input is substantial.
    I would have thought similar fixed paddles on a Porsche are probably simpler to engineer too.

I hope somebody at Porsche resolves this - or at least give us paddles as an option if the buttons are important to some users

I've driven tips a lot & I never got any more used to it so dont think you were just in-experienced. While PDK is technically different,,,,, buttons on a steering wheel are buttons on a steering wheel, no matter what there's no getting around the fact that they move around ATTACHED to the steering wheel. I think a big part of the problem besides having to hit the buttons w/ your thumbs , exactly like the tip is the fact you have to follow the buttons, exactly like the tip. Maybe it was a stubborn pride thing, they didnt want to switch to a more user friendly system like Ferrari's at the risk of looking like they were copying a better system. I really dont know why they did it & I highly doubt they would make one available that does have the proper paddles. But like MMD said you can always just use the PDK shifter on the column.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    BC911 said:

That's pretty patronizing. Why dont think P_Nut, BC911 or I can have our own opinions? RE: politics, there's a certain word; "fascism". Try to be a little less sensative re: your stance vs others here, it's not good to have issues when everyone doesnt agree w/ you. I have to catch myself sometimes doing the same thing. I've learnt it's never going to happen, where everyone has the same opinion, that's what makes this place so interesting. Just saying try to live & let live a bit more, you may even learn something. peace.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion for sure and I don't deny that!
    But most of you have formed an opinion based on a very small number of influencers either on internet forums or in the press and this I find a dangerous attitude. In the case of cars IMO this attitude is on non-significance. But unfortunately it spreads to political and social issues and people are led like sheep.

What I think is correct is for somebody to try a new thing with open mind and if this person genuinely doesn't like it to reject it saying that it doesn't suit my own personal tastes or needs. Not to say it is rubbish or that they screwed up and generally use strong language against it.

Remember, that inevitably there will be some 20,000 new buyers each year that will be enjoying this PDK system a lot. Does it mean that they are ignorant idi0ts who haven't seen things your way?

I find that the whole argumentation on the "paddle/button issue is based on prejudice and pre-conceived ideas and even (lol) pseudomacho notions (real men and racers use paddles, girls use buttons) and this is the attitude I am criticizing and I find conceptually wrong
    Happy paddling

I gotta think there's two factions at Porsche.

One that does sh*t like the SC wart and quad tips.

Another more inspired faction that innovates; perhaps the buttons are a true innovation.

Almost every new thing coming from Porsche is severely scrutinized. How many of those things stand the test of time?

I am very sure the direction of up/downshift can be reprogrammed or re-wired by anyone who has an interest in electronics. Converting it to paddle shift control could become gravy for the tuning companies. Usually Porsche does not let that happen so I think we will see the option very soon, the design today is intentionally compromised for that reason.

Quote:
    P_Nut said:

Available for 997 Tiptronic: Raid "Daytona GT" - 1,300 Euro in Germany. I have no own experience with this wheel, but a buddy has one installed in his 996 and is happy with it.
    Not sure whether it suits the PDK, but I guess Raid is already working on it in case they read Rennteam

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    BC911 said:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion for sure and I don't deny that!
    But most of you have formed an opinion based on a very small number of influencers either on internet forums or in the press and this I find a dangerous attitude. In the case of cars IMO this attitude is on non-significance. But unfortunately it spreads to political and social issues and people are led like sheep.

What I think is correct is for somebody to try a new thing with open mind and if this person genuinely doesn't like it to reject it saying that it doesn't suit my own personal tastes or needs. Not to say it is rubbish or that they screwed up and generally use strong language against it.

Remember, that inevitably there will be some 20,000 new buyers each year that will be enjoying this PDK system a lot. Does it mean that they are ignorant idi0ts who haven't seen things your way?

I find that the whole argumentation on the "paddle/button issue is based on prejudice and pre-conceived ideas and even (lol) pseudomacho notions (real men and racers use paddles, girls use buttons) and this is the attitude I am criticizing and I find conceptually wrong
    Happy paddling

Huh? I own a car w/ paddles (F1 F430), also own a 6-speed stick so my opinion is not based on "internet forums" or
    "pre-conceived ideas". That's a lot of mud slinging and accusations, how bout you besides test driving a PDK, do you have some sort of vast car collection where you have gained all this first hand ownership experiences?

I never said anything about anyone elses likes or dislikes of buttons on the steering wheel, never said anything about them being "ignorant idi0ts". My remarks were directed at the type of system, not the people who would select it. IMO button type shifters on the steering wheel suck compared to stationary paddles on the column & I'm disappointed in the direction Porsche took that's all. I guess my opinion seems to be shared by some here & it doesnt surprise me that the comments on PDK from recent tests so far have been far from favorable. But if you feel compelled to promote it, be my guest, I'll never accuse you or your opinion of being "dangerous", after all it's just people talking about their opinions on an auto-forum not some vast conspiracy against an auto maker were talking about here. Porsche will survive no matter what I say so Chill bra..

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    P_Nut said:

Available for 997 Tiptronic: Raid "Daytona GT" - 1,300 Euro in Germany. I have no own experience with this wheel, but a buddy has one installed in his 996 and is happy with it.
    Not sure whether it suits the PDK, but I guess Raid is already working on it in case they read Rennteam

Thank you for the information.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    [Huh? I own a car w/ paddles (F1 F430), also own a 6-speed stick so my opinion is not based on "internet forums" or
    "pre-conceived ideas". That's a lot of mud slinging and accusations, how bout you besides test driving a PDK, do you have some sort of vast car collection where you have gained all this first hand ownership experiences?

I never said anything about anyone elses likes or dislikes of buttons on the steering wheel, never said anything about them being "ignorant idi0ts". My remarks were directed at the type of system, not the people who would select it. IMO button type shifters on the steering wheel suck compared to stationary paddles on the column & I'm disappointed in the direction Porsche took that's all. I guess my opinion seems to be shared by some here & it doesnt surprise me that the comments on PDK from recent tests so far have been far from favorable. But if you feel compelled to promote it, be my guest, I'll never accuse you or your opinion of being "dangerous", after all it's just people talking about their opinions on an auto-forum not some vast conspiracy against an auto maker were talking about here. Porsche will survive no matter what I say so Chill bra..

No, I don't have a vast collection of vehicles and perhaps it is one of the reasons I don't get confused between systems.

Anyway,I've tried the PDK and I enjoyed immensely in all 3 modes. each mode has its purpose very logical very Porsche.

I didn't have a problem selecting gears using the buttons and additionally flicking the stick instead of selecting via the buttons is a very handy alternative in certain driving situations.
    Moreover, I haven't read any negative comments on the PDK in the auto press (European and US), just some moaning about the buttons, which amounts to a different thing from what you wrote above.

I can appreciate that some people might prefer another system for their own reasons, valid or not. However, of all the posters here who object to PDK I doubt if more than 1 or 2 and maybe none have tried the system. This is where my objection comes that people shouldn't be led to form opinions by a minority of influencers whose credentials we don't know. Unfortunately this attitude extends beyond cars and to more serious matters in life in general.

We differ on this matter but as long as we enjoy ourselves with our respective preferences that's what matters.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    [Huh? I own a car w/ paddles (F1 F430), also own a 6-speed stick so my opinion is not based on "internet forums" or

No, I don't have a vast collection of vehicles and perhaps it is one of the reasons I don't get confused between systems.

Anyway,I've tried the PDK and I enjoyed immensely in all 3 modes. each mode has its purpose very logical very Porsche.

I didn't have a problem selecting gears using the buttons and additionally flicking the stick instead of selecting via the buttons is a very handy alternative in certain driving situations.
    Moreover, I haven't read any negative comments on the PDK in the auto press (European and US), just some moaning about the buttons, which amounts to a different thing from what you wrote above.

I can appreciate that some people might prefer another system for their own reasons, valid or not. However, of all the posters here who object to PDK I doubt if more than 1 or 2 and maybe none have tried the system. This is where my objection comes that people shouldn't be led to form opinions by a minority of influencers whose credentials we don't know. Unfortunately this attitude extends beyond cars and to more serious matters in life in general.

We differ on this matter but as long as we enjoy ourselves with our respective preferences that's what matters.

You could be right, perhaps that's the reason. Can I ask have you ever owned a Ferrari or other car w/ an F1 type shifter? Because that is my basis for comparison vs. shifting buttons on the steering wheel. Do you own or have you owned a Porsche? I'm just asking because when it comes to understanding someones opinions I think it helps to understand what their real life experiences are like & because you brought it up regarding what people read on the internet & "pre-conceived ideas".

Yeah I know PDK is not tip but I'm not referring to the actual tranny just thumb button shifting which is very much the same for both PDK & Tip. I can understand peoples opinions here about being upset Porsche mounted thumb shifter buttons again because they're upset w/ the feeling of shifting w/ your thumbs on a moving steering wheel which is essentially the same thing as a Tip only worse probably because you actually have to push w/ your thumb while accelerating & pull w/ your fingers while decelerating; the very OPPOSITE to what your body naturally wants to do in those circumstances.

There's been a few articles already that have been less than favorable on PDK, I was reading one this past weekend where the writer said he'd still select a stick over PDK.

That's all I was saying - There isnt a right or wrong, just personal preference but like I said I know A LOT of people that disliked the way shift buttons on the steering wheel performed, wishing Porsche would go the paddle route but so far havent really heard F1 style owners wishing that they could have thumb shifter buttons on the steering wheel. That's why I was asking above re: your experiences w/ F1 paddles just curious if you've been an owner of that type.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    BC911 said:

It's more amusing how some people are so stubborn that even when presented with logical arguments and evidence against what they believe, they discount any possibility they could have been wrong.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

You could be right, perhaps that's the reason. Can I ask have you ever owned a Ferrari or other car w/ an F1 type shifter? Because that is my basis for comparison vs. shifting buttons on the steering wheel. Do you own or have you owned a Porsche? I'm just asking because when it comes to understanding someones opinions I think it helps to understand what their real life experiences are like & because you brought it up regarding what people read on the internet & "pre-conceived ideas".

Yeah I know PDK is not tip but I'm not referring to the actual tranny just thumb button shifting which is very much the same for both PDK & Tip. I can understand peoples opinions here about being upset Porsche mounted thumb shifter buttons again because they're upset w/ the feeling of shifting w/ your thumbs on a moving steering wheel which is essentially the same thing as a Tip only worse probably because you actually have to push w/ your thumb while accelerating & pull w/ your fingers while decelerating; the very OPPOSITE to what your body naturally wants to do in those circumstances.

There's been a few articles already that have been less than favorable on PDK, I was reading one this past weekend where the writer said he'd still select a stick over PDK.

That's all I was saying - There isnt a right or wrong, just personal preference but like I said I know A LOT of people that disliked the way shift buttons on the steering wheel performed, wishing Porsche would go the paddle route but so far havent really heard F1 style owners wishing that they could have thumb shifter buttons on the steering wheel. That's why I was asking above re: your experiences w/ F1 paddles just curious if you've been an owner of that type.

I've never owned a Ferrari and I am not an expert on this Italian chariot of gods. I have owned several Porsches since the 80s and I still own one but all manual. Moreover, I get the chance in the course of my interests to drive all Porsche models. My experience with paddles comes from our family VW GTI DSG a very competent cross country car with an excellent double clutch system. I've driven on occasions a friend's M3 with the SMG automated manual system and I prefer the VW double clutch much more.

When I tried PDK extensively I've had none of the problems many of you mention, like buttons/paddles , counter-intuitive press/pull blah blah blah.

Honestly, driving the car I was left wondering what was the reason for all this hostility towards this innovative
    engineering tour de force.

Compared to a good Porsche manual it can be somewhat more detached and less immediate and I can see why someone might opt for manual according to his own set of parameters. Similarly a Ferrari driver can prefer nanual to F1 and this doesn't make the automated system bad.

I don't want this to carry on forever because we will end up going in circles with the same line of argumentation.

But many posters give me the impression that they have already decided that they don't like PDK without trying it ,based on rumour(and this is my objection) and try to find reasons to justify this pre(mis)conception.

Anyway, there is no end to prejudice

Porsche options list

Wait until the GT3 with PDK is launched and then look for a proper paddle shifter set up to be offered to the "peasants" who drive ordinary 997.2's. You will still have to tear your hair out though with the stick +/- shift direction that's back to front for street driving. My old Audi had the same +/- setup as Porsche but my wife's old Mazda is the reverse (-/+) and is simply much, much better.

Whatever were they thinking???

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803129 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448531 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266055 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90027 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6535 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885626 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833143 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM