Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 Turbo - Powerkit

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Latest rumor: 997 Turbo Powerkit is coming (as we suspected a while ago), estimated power is 510-515 HP, slightly below the power figure of the upcoming 997 GT2 (rumored 520-530 HP). No availability date known yet but rumors indicate summer or autumn 2007, maybe even earlier.

There is also a very good chance that the powerkit will NOT be retrofittable...unfortunately.

I am sorry but if these numbers are true and real, it is plain ridiculous to buy that package for only 30 hp more, .

You are missing the big picture. Higher top speed, much better acceleration, bigger intercoolers and a reinforced gearbox. Probably bigger displacement as well. Chip THAT and then talk about how it isn't worth it .

bigger intercoolers and a reinforced gearbox seem very attractive

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Latest rumor: 997 Turbo Powerkit is coming (as we suspected a while ago), estimated power is 510-515 HP, slightly below the power figure of the upcoming 997 GT2 (rumored 520-530 HP). No availability date known yet but rumors indicate summer or autumn 2007, maybe even earlier.

There is also a very good chance that the powerkit will NOT be retrofittable...unfortunately.

I am sorry but if these numbers are true and real, it is plain ridiculous to buy that package for only 30 hp more, .

You are missing the big picture. Higher top speed, much better acceleration, bigger intercoolers and a reinforced gearbox. Probably bigger displacement as well. Chip THAT and then talk about how it isn't worth it .

bigger intercoolers and a reinforced gearbox seem very attractive

Oh no the pyramid is taking over this post too

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Maybe they will improve the exhaust with the powerkit. Yesterday I was behind one in my mini and it sounded very whimpish. I just don't know why they castrated the car.

You all have to grow up. The car is not castrated! The loud sounding exhausts only appeal to people with a need to show themselves... perhaps they themselves lack something.

Every time I'm on a 30MPH traffic lane and hear a loud exhaust, 9 out of 10 times it is an F360/430 or some such. How ridiculous... sounding like 120MPH but only doing 30MPH. A loud dog with no bite - really!

Are you driving a sports car or a family sedan?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    My guess is that, after one puts a new chip in, adds a new exhaust, and spends a lot of time in shops, etc., that one would spend very close to the price of the powerkit. I had such an experience with my modified 996TT.

Yes, but you still don't get the new ICs or the stronger transmission. The Powerkit is well worth it if one spends so much money on a car.

That's simply not true..

about 14k installed and you have Stage 4 EVO - includes ultra high performance swain coated intercoolers.

EVO stage 4 will totally smoke your Porsche powerkit for power.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

I got the big picture, my problem is that (in the US), you can get all that stuff you mentioned and much more, for a lot less than 17k$ or whatever the package costs (warranty issue aside).
    For me, most of that cost would be to have the warranty and that is way too much I think.
    also, a chipped powerkit would not be too far ahead of a chipped stock and doing that defeats the purpose (warranty).

Basically, the car will go quite a bit faster than the normal Turbo, all of this with warranty.

The tuning potential is a side benefit. A 3.8-litre engine isn't something you'd want to do by yourself (boring out an engine isn't exactly a small upgrade) and having all the hardware factory installed (stronger tranny, bigger intercoolers and turbochargers) also spares you lots of hassle. Any tuning is basic plug and play - install a better exhaust, flash the ECU and Voila, 600 bhp.

In contrast, taking your normal Turbo into the shop, where they will have to take out the engine and transmission, disassemble the engine, bore out the cylinder walls, put the engine back together, buy and install bigger turbochargers, tear apart and rebuild the transmission with stronger parts, not to mention buying bigger intercoolers... Honestly, I'd go with the powerkit, even if one plans to tune the car.

Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    My guess is that, after one puts a new chip in, adds a new exhaust, and spends a lot of time in shops, etc., that one would spend very close to the price of the powerkit. I had such an experience with my modified 996TT.

Yes, but you still don't get the new ICs or the stronger transmission. The Powerkit is well worth it if one spends so much money on a car.

That's simply not true..

about 14k installed and you have Stage 4 EVO - includes ultra high performance swain coated intercoolers.

Mine is being installed right now!

I wonder if we'd be at least able to get some parts offered by the Powerkit at least, perhaps the CF intake cover, etc.

Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Wonderbar said:

That's simply not true..

What about taking out, tearing apart, rebuilding with more expensive parts and putting back in the transmission?

RC...thanks for the update. I shall continue to push back my build slot with the dealer until an order will be accepted. This car is going to be my retirement gift to myself.

Quote:
    You all have to grow up. The car is not castrated! The loud sounding exhausts only appeal to people with a need to show themselves...

My Europipe exhaust is one of the best mods I've done to my 996 Turbo..sounds like a sports car now, and the 70mm piping and 100 cell cats improved power and throttle response.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Maybe they will improve the exhaust with the powerkit. Yesterday I was behind one in my mini and it sounded very whimpish. I just don't know why they castrated the car.

You all have to grow up. The car is not castrated! The loud sounding exhausts only appeal to people with a need to show themselves... perhaps they themselves lack something.

Every time I'm on a 30MPH traffic lane and hear a loud exhaust, 9 out of 10 times it is an F360/430 or some such. How ridiculous... sounding like 120MPH but only doing 30MPH. A loud dog with no bite - really!

I agree with you and mvd, I like cars that perform, not making noise for the sake of it.

In my books, the quieter the car is, the better as I can do my business, enjoy the music, talk on the phone or with my passenger, pass by the cop speeding.

I think several car magazines rate cars in a similar manner, cars actually get higher points with less db.

Quote:
    Wonderbar said:

I've not had any problems at all with my EVO Stage 2 ECU upgrade and Europipe exhaust. Not one second of shop time...and FAR cheaper than the X50 option would have been, not to mention my mods added ~85 hp and 85 lb-ft of torque versus the X50's 29 hp.

Quote:
    In my books, the quieter the car is, the better as I can do my business, enjoy the music, talk on the phone or with my passenger...

The louder and more raw my Turbo the better. The music I listen to is the engine/exhaust symphony, I can't talk on the phone because both hands are being used to enjoy the driving experience, and the only sound coming form my passenger is the gasp of air emitted when they experience full boost.

The Turbo is a sports car, not a luxo-cruiser.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    In contrast, taking your normal Turbo into the shop, where they will have to take out the engine and transmission, disassemble the engine, bore out the cylinder walls, put the engine back together, buy and install bigger turbochargers, tear apart and rebuild the transmission with stronger parts, not to mention buying bigger intercoolers... Honestly, I'd go with the powerkit, even if one plans to tune the car.

The GT1 based flat sixes are never "re bored" , one has to have new cylinders with matching new pistons hence why its quite expensive

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The GT1 based flat sixes are never "re bored" , one has to have new cylinders with matching new pistons hence why its quite expensive

Thank you for proving my point .

As others have said

1)if you plan on modding the car, the same power output will be achievable without or without the powerkit. I'm pretty sure you would be able to buy 2-3 new Getrag transmissions as spares for the price of the powerkit if you are worried about durability

2)if you don't plan on modding the TT, 20-30hp increase should be achievable with a simple exhaust change

3)if the powerkit really is a 3.8, or includes larger turbos, Porsche would have to be intentionally restricting the engine to gain only 20-30hp.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    As others have said

1)if you plan on modding the car, the same power output will be achievable without or without the powerkit. I'm pretty sure you would be able to buy 2-3 new Getrag transmissions as spares for the price of the powerkit if you are worried about durability

2)if you don't plan on modding the TT, 20-30hp increase should be achievable with a simple exhaust change

3)if the powerkit really is a 3.8, or includes larger turbos, Porsche would have to be intentionally restricting the engine to gain only 20-30hp.

If you add an exhaust onto the powerkit, then you are again ahead of the standard engine, and probably by a bit more than in the beginning. Kreso said something about the bigger engine having similar-sized turbochargers and producing 30 extra horsepower by virtue of increased displacement. Compare the old 996TT and the TTS and you will see what 30 bhp does. I'm still strongly in favor of the powerkit and needless to say, the 3.8 litre displacement will allow for higher power levels if you should so desire.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    In my books, the quieter the car is, the better as I can do my business, enjoy the music, talk on the phone or with my passenger...

The louder and more raw my Turbo the better. The music I listen to is the engine/exhaust symphony, I can't talk on the phone because both hands are being used to enjoy the driving experience, and the only sound coming form my passenger is the gasp of air emitted when they experience full boost.

I guess I'm too shy or timid, I find I can speed much better when I don't get the attention from others, especailly the cops. And I buy these cars to speed.

I used to like the AMG best, always in the stealth mode, but then, they don't handle well enough.

Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:

I guess I'm too shy or timid, I find I can speed much better when I don't get the attention from others, especailly the cops. And I buy these cars to speed.

I used to like the AMG best, always in the stealth mode, but then, they don't handle well enough.

They are fast, though.

E55 138-308 km/h

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Basically, the car will go quite a bit faster than the normal Turbo, all of this with warranty.

The tuning potential is a side benefit. A 3.8-litre engine isn't something you'd want to do by yourself (boring out an engine isn't exactly a small upgrade) and having all the hardware factory installed (stronger tranny, bigger intercoolers and turbochargers) also spares you lots of hassle. Any tuning is basic plug and play - install a better exhaust, flash the ECU and Voila, 600 bhp.

Crash,
    Do we know for fact thet the power kit will include a 3.8L engine?

Quote:
    yarub1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Crash,
    Do we know for fact thet the power kit will include a 3.8L engine?

yarub, this is the information that Kreso has put forth some time ago and it WOULD confirm RC's information from mid-2005 about the Turbo getting the 3.6 litre 480 bhp engine (which it did) and the Turbo Powerkit/Turbo S receiving a 3.8-litre engine with around 520 bhp. Makes perfect sense, if you ask me.

Quote:
    W211 said:I find I can speed much better when I don't get the attention from others, especially the cops. And I buy these cars to speed.

When I'm out in the Turbo I find that it gets attention no matter what speed I'm driving.

Obviously people are different on this, but I enjoy sports cars because of what they do do my sensory receptors. Some sports car attributes I look for...The feeling you get when you crank the engine and you sense the rumble of the mechanics and exhaust everywhere you touch the car - manifested by the light vibration in the seat of you pants - the "plugged in" feeling you get. The feeling that the throttle/engine is attached directly to your spine...the more you depress the throttle the higher the buzz rises in your back. I like the feeling that the shifter really is attached to part of a system that produces big power, and not a shifter that is isolated from the action. Same goes for the steering wheel...I like it to have the feeling that it is attached directly to the wheels, with no slop and with the feeling that I could be accurate enough to do surgery with it. I like the longitudinal g forces produced under full boost. And I like my "hearing" to support all of these "sports car" attributes...for me, sound plays an integral part in completing the sensory circle.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:

They are fast, though.

E55 138-308 km/h

Approximately on par with 996TTS or 997GT3 (200-305kph based on speedo, i.e. assuming comparable speedo accuracy)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:

They are fast, though.

E55 138-308 km/h

Approximately on par with 996TTS or 997GT3 (200-305kph based on speedo, i.e. assuming comparable speedo accuracy)

You're saying that the 997 GT3 is as fast as the Turbo S?

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Any link to this rumored PK and the AMS test with the rumored 512hp TT?

AMS test with rumoured 512 HP TT? Did I miss something?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Any link to this rumored PK and the AMS test with the rumored 512hp TT?

AMS test with rumoured 512 HP TT? Did I miss something?

Sport Auto website

Videos #5 and #6.

Quote:
    Crash said:

Sport Auto website

Videos #5 and #6.

Sport Auto isn't AMS, even if AMS is "producing" Sport Auto. This must be a typo, the text also claims that the suspension of the 997 Turbo is adjustable and can be adjusted to track profile (which of course is BS but maybe they were referring to the GT3). Porsche does NOT give Sport Auto a powerkit equipped Turbo for testing before they even officially announce it.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Sport Auto website

Videos #5 and #6.

Sport Auto isn't AMS, even if AMS is "producing" Sport Auto. This must be a typo, the text also claims that the suspension of the 997 Turbo is adjustable and can be adjusted to track profile (which of course is BS but maybe they were referring to the GT3). Porsche does NOT give Sport Auto a powerkit equipped Turbo for testing before they even officially announce it.

I know SA isn't AMS, I just posted the source of the rumor. Personally, everything sounds like the Z06, even the color , except for the shape of the car. However, this link was previously posted by Kreso, who does have contacts in the magazine, so perhaps you should ask him .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    They are fast, though.

E55 138-308 km/h

Not THAT fast. The "de-limited" E55 AMG runs exactly TRUE 300 kph and not one km more. My former E55 AMG did 309 kph on the speedo which was exactly 300 kph.
    The 997 Turbo does TRUE 311 kph, so it is still 11 kph faster.

In many countries, incl. the US, the AMG de-limitation for the E55 is NOT available. A legal retrofit is possible ONLY at AMG in Affalterbach directly.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:

They are fast, though.

E55 138-308 km/h

You're saying that the 997 GT3 is as fast as the Turbo S?

Should be Don't you agree?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805966 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449241 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266884 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90366 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7050 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886837 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835617 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM