Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Sport Auto posts 7.29 GTR time

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Adias, The Nissan GT is actually a 70K version of their 30K new Skyline. I dont know how many regular Skylines they sell, but I bet their sales will be substantial.

I dont want a go fast Nissan Skyline because at the end of the day its just a hyper fast ultra techy Nissan Skyline. I dont buy chicken from KFC either. Id rather personally contribute to the cars dynamic ability then let a billion lines of code do it for me.

Isnt the GT-R just a new fakey kind of sports car? Its seems like a wierd half car half robot that does everything for you. No fun at that. I dont want it.

I agree. I'd rather drive my car than have my car drive me. 0-60 is 4.1 without launch control, and 3.3 with it on. The car is much slower around a track without all of the driver aids. So what is so special about this car, surely not the mechanics. They certainly have some good software engineers though. I guess 'true car guys' are big fans of computer aided driving assistance that makes them look like pro's all of a sudden. Kind of takes the fun out of it all IMO

Quote:
    nberry said:Jim, I would take the GT-R in a heart beat. I have already made inquiries and waiting for an answer. It will be a great track car.

Nick, I'm curious, when was the last time you were at the track and what car did you drive?

The GT-R will be a great "street"car and will make a poor track car. Generally people go to the track to improve their sport driving, explore the limits of the car in a safe enviroment and most importantly to have fun. In which case what precisely you don't want is a 3850lbs car with AWD and electronics that are designed to be able to drive the car very fast with ease taking away from the "driver factor". Along with the fact that the GT-R needs desproportionate maintenace cost if taken into the track as Way already reported. A good track car would be a Z06, a GT3, an Exige, CSL, etc depending on your preferences and resources.

Like I said, I'm curious about your statement and it would help to understand it if you tell us when was the last time you were at thee track and what did you choose to drive

Re: GT-R does 7.29 at 'ring

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Till starts of EU sales GT-R Ring time will be lowered to 7.10min...

As you see in this thread there are some people who believe every dumb sh*t they are told. In a certain way, Nissan is doing successful marketing. If they just sell cars to all these gullible people based on fairy tails they will still do some revenue

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:
    Tobey, if it is a 7:50 car it is still a performance bargain. I just think this 7:29 is very far fetched and timed correctly to take attention away from the tranny failures that are occurring in low mile cars.

You really do think it is BS don't you ? Have Nissan got a history of doing this sort of thing ? I can't see where your grounds for sceptism are coming from ?
    How many trannies have broken, I only read about the one from the tuner ?

It is impossible to do a 7.29 in a car like the GTR. The GTR is heavy and underpowered (for such lap time). HvS did a 7.50 with the GTR and stated that a slightly better time could be doable under better conditions. Let's wait for the first reliable tests and not discuss completey ridiculous marketing statements of Nissan.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Factory claims of the Nring of ANY maker is for dummies, but this 7,29, is going to far, its an insult to anybodies intelligence.

Perfect summary indeed

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:Jim, I would take the GT-R in a heart beat. I have already made inquiries and waiting for an answer. It will be a great track car.

Nick, I'm curious, when was the last time you were at the track and what car did you drive?

The GT-R will be a great "street"car and will make a poor track car. Generally people go to the track to improve their sport driving, explore the limits of the car in a safe enviroment and most importantly to have fun. In which case what precisely you don't want is a 3850lbs car with AWD and electronics that are designed to be able to drive the car very fast with ease taking away from the "driver factor". Along with the fact that the GT-R needs desproportionate maintenace cost if taken into the track as Way already reported. A good track car would be a Z06, a GT3, an Exige, CSL, etc depending on your preferences and resources.

Like I said, I'm curious about your statement and it would help to understand it if you tell us when was the last time you were at thee track and what did you choose to drive

Carlos when was the last time you tracked a car?

FWIW, I was in the very first PDE class in the US. My last Porsche was a 996 Cab. and it was manual. I tracked that car. Since I only drive convertibles and most track do not allow them unless heavily modified tracking is not an option.

Alan the hp increase from the 360 to the 430 is about 100hp.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:
    Tobey, if it is a 7:50 car it is still a performance bargain. I just think this 7:29 is very far fetched and timed correctly to take attention away from the tranny failures that are occurring in low mile cars.

You really do think it is BS don't you ? Have Nissan got a history of doing this sort of thing ? I can't see where your grounds for sceptism are coming from ?

It is impossible to do a 7.29 in a car like the GTR. The GTR is heavy and underpowered (for such lap time). HvS did a 7.50 with the GTR and stated that a slightly better time could be doable under better conditions. Let's wait for the first reliable tests and not discuss completey ridiculous marketing statements of Nissan.

Why Europeans accuse ROW of fudging numbers while their beloved Sportauto is the Bible, Torah and Koran of automobiles car reviews is equivalent to extreme religious views. V. Saurma is not the last word. His expereince is with Porsche manual and new race technologies are apparently beyond his grasp.

Hey if SportAuto was seriously interested in testing the GT-R they could get one from Nissan whatever the cost. However, I do suspect Nissan is wary of V. Saurma like other car manufacturers are for reasons I stated above.

Nick, reading your posts above any observer would conclude that you possess a strange amount of reactionary animus towards HvS and Porsche and perhaps to Europeans here in general.

Or maybe you just like to pull their hair.

Are you the cheerleader for all things reactionary and paranoid?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Why Europeans accuse ROW of fudging numbers while their beloved Sportauto is the Bible, Torah and Koran of automobiles car reviews is equivalent to extreme religious views.

Because they do...
    Italian car mags always rate italian cars higher, same for french, US or Japan.
    Evo UK found the R8 to destroy the 997TT which we know is not true.

There are no standardized test ROW, so what to believe?

No one said HvS and SportAuto are perfect, but nothing else comes close.

Also the NBR is a track closer to road conditions...

I tend to subscribe to the 'sports-cars-should-be-fun-as-well-as-fast' RWD philosophy. But I also like to win encounters at the Ring. The list of RWD cars that can match the GTR, while costing a similar amount and affording equal practicality (four seats and a trunk) is very short. In fact it is non-existent for unmodified cars.

The only such car that could give the GTR a run for its money is a CSL with upgraded brakes, suspension and a supercharger. The loaded CSL clocked a 7.22 lap of the Ring and it looks and sounds much more alive and fun-to-drive than the overweight and oversized GTR.

But it very good news that Nissan has raised the bar and shaken up the European manufacturers. Let's see if any of them make a credible response. But it will not be easy for them to match the performance, price and practicality of the GTR.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Nick, reading your posts above any observer would conclude that you possess a strange amount of reactionary animus towards HvS and Porsche and perhaps to Europeans here in general.

A little of all of the above.

However, I do get tired of the refrain that only Germans know how to test cars and their results are conclusive. How old is V. Saurma? In his 50-60's? Does he know what PDK is or F1? When great YOUNG Japanese, US, Swedish, Italian, etc drivers do the Ring their results are discounted as fraudulent. Put V. Saurma in the car and it is the word from God.

I am not bashing Germans. I am trying to level the playing field.

Quote:
    nberry said:Carlos when was the last time you tracked a car?

Once or twice every year. My next visit will be in less than a months time.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    FWIW, I was in the very first PDE class in the US. My last Porsche was a 996 Cab. and it was manual. I tracked that car. Since I only drive convertibles and most track do not allow them unless heavily modified tracking is not an option.

A Cab and that was like 8 years ago? explains a lot of things. BTW, you don't have to use your own car to be able to attend track days/events.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:

Why Europeans accuse ROW of fudging numbers while their beloved Sportauto is the Bible, Torah and Koran of automobiles car reviews is equivalent to extreme religious views. V. Saurma is not the last word. His expereince is with Porsche manual and new race technologies are apparently beyond his grasp.

Hey if SportAuto was seriously interested in testing the GT-R they could get one from Nissan whatever the cost. However, I do suspect Nissan is wary of V. Saurma like other car manufacturers are for reasons I stated above.

Sigh... Not again. How often shall those who know Sportauto and its Supertest explain to those who have never ever read a single copy of a Supertest why there is no comparable magazine test out there

Of course, the Supertest can be criticized as well. However, as per today no comparably comprehensive and objective sports car test is available

Nick, you better check your medicine cabinet. Of course HvS has no idea of what PDK or F1 is. HvS is actually a paid employee of Bayer Aspirin whose real job is to give you headaches.

Round and round you may go, but SportAutos HvS tests are the gold standard for the automotive industry.

Sorry to inform you but their testing metrics, methodology
    and measurements are unasaillable.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

A little of all of the above.

However, I do get tired of the refrain that only Germans know how to test cars and their results are conclusive. How old is V. Saurma? In his 50-60's? Does he know what PDK is or F1? When great YOUNG Japanese, US, Swedish, Italian, etc drivers do the Ring their results are discounted as fraudulent. Put V. Saurma in the car and it is the word from God.

I am not bashing Germans. I am trying to level the playing field.

Just a question: would you say that any non-US lawyer could practice law in the US? I guess not... Why? Simple answer: he does not have the appropriate background knowledge. The same applies to you when you write about the Supertest

Why would Sport Auto post the 7.29 GTR time if they doubt its validity?

I would be interested to know how Porsche lovers would react to this? Porsche has just announced its specification for its facelift 911 S. The car will have 480 bhp, will take just 3.5 seconds to reach 60 and will go on to reach a top speed of 193. To reward its customers Porsche have reduced its price to Pounds53K but due to the engine being hand built supply will be restricted to an exclusive 500 units a year. To offset this Porsche has announced that at no cost all owners will have their cars personally collected from and delivered back to a location of your choice when the vehicle is in for servicing. Competitors of Porsche have reacted by saying, "this performance cannot be true and by the way the car is ugly)

I really wish my 911S was going to get that level of performance next time around. And before we discuss electronics, I am really glad I have all the software gimmickry on my tail happy 911. What would we also say if the new PDK had launch control?

You have to really give it to Nissan; the fact that we are all talking about the GTR and that its order books are closed means that they have achieved their objectives.

As a Porsche owner what really worries me is when the respected Jason Plato (British Touring Car Champion and current 911 turbo owner) provides such a compelling report on the British TV program "5th Gear" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3zx8Y4pNM

Whilst the looks are subjective the cars performance appears real enough.

Right now i still feel comfortable in my 911. Quite how i will feel when a GTR pulls up besides me before leaving me in the dust is yet to be determined. I suspect it will be hard to bear, especially when i have paid 20K more the Privilege of being a small dot in someones rear view mirror.

Quote:
    AUM said:

They did specifically state that it was Nissan's own claim and did not comment either way on its validity.

Quote:
    Nidge said:
    I would be interested to know how Porsche lovers would react to this? Porsche has just announced its specification for its facelift 911 S. The car will have 480 bhp, will take just 3.5 seconds to reach 60 and will go on to reach a top speed of 193. To reward its customers Porsche have reduced its price to Pounds53K but due to the engine being hand built supply will be restricted to an exclusive 500 units a year. To offset this Porsche has announced that at no cost all owners will have their cars personally collected from and delivered back to a location of your choice when the vehicle is in for servicing. Competitors of Porsche have reacted by saying, "this performance cannot be true and by the way the car is ugly)

I really wish my 911S was going to get that level of performance next time around. And before we discuss electronics, I am really glad I have all the software gimmickry on my tail happy 911. What would we also say if the new PDK had launch control?

You have to really give it to Nissan; the fact that we are all talking about the GTR and that its order books are closed means that they have achieved their objectives.

As a Porsche owner what really worries me is when the respected Jason Plato (British Touring Car Champion and current 911 turbo owner) provides such a compelling report on the British TV program "5th Gear" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3zx8Y4pNM

Right now i still feel comfortable in my 911. Quite how i will feel when a GTR pulls up besides me before leaving me in the dust is yet to be determined. I suspect it will be hard to bear, especially when i have paid 20K more the Privilege of being a small dot in someones rear view mirror.

Another sane Rennteam member! Heck... the forum is improving!

And for all others, please note that Nidge is not trashing 911s (and neither am I). He is just part of a small group of 911 lovers who have no blinds.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:

Quote:
    nberry said:

A Cab and that was like 8 years ago? explains a lot of things. BTW, you don't have to use your own car to be able to attend track days/events.

Ah, now I understand. Once or twice a year makes you an expert in tracking and I who have track cars probably as long as you have been on this earth know nothing. I am not surprised by your logic.

Since you all believe that SportAuto is the gold standard, answer this question; where does SportAuto get their cars for testing? From the manufacturer, buy it from a dealer or are they furnished by present owners?

Quote:
    Nidge said:

There are 20 y.o. kids out there with tuned turbo Civic's running 9's in the 1/4 mile. You could sell your S and buy like 5 of them if you want, but you'll have to drive it the Quick Lube yourself. Since Nissan has apparently coded the software on the GT-R to block tuners from HP mod's (fears of the setup not being able to take more than 600HP); you'll have the privilege of being smoked by $20K tuned Civic's for some time to come.

If you are shopping 0 to 60mph for price and "value" try a 08 Chevy Cobalt SS FWD hatchback. Brembo brakes, Sport Chrono, "no lift shifting", launch control!!! and its turbo doesnt lessen speed during shifting. It even has a Swedish gearbox!!!35mpg!!!

0 to 100 mph in 12 sec.

0 to 60 in 5.5 sec and 1/4 mile time of 14 flat at 103.6mph.

Its quicker than a base Boxster, only $22K and its turbocharged engine is easy to tweak for another 50-60hp.

Should Boxster owners now line up at Chevy dealers?

Is one Nissan GT-R worth 4 Chevy Cobalts?

Quicker than a Speeding Boxster !

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    If you are shopping 0 to 60mph for price and "value" try a 08 Chevy Cobalt SS FWD hatchback. Brembo brakes, Sport Chrono, "no lift shifting", launch control!!! and its turbo doesnt lessen speed during shifting. It even has a Swedish gearbox!!!35mpg!!!

0 to 100 mph in 12 sec.

0 to 60 in 5.5 sec and 1/4 mile time of 14 flat at 103.6mph.

Its quicker than a base Boxster, only $22K and its turbocharged engine is easy to tweak for another 50-60hp.

Should Boxster owners now line up at Chevy dealers?

Is one Nissan GT-R worth 4 Chevy Cobalts?

Quicker than a Speeding Boxster !

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:

Quote:
    nberry said:

Ah, now I understand. Once or twice a year makes you an expert in tracking and I who have track cars probably as long as you have been on this earth know nothing. I am not surprised by your logic.

Since you all believe that SportAuto is the gold standard, answer this question; where does SportAuto get their cars for testing? From the manufacturer, buy it from a dealer or are they furnished by present owners?

Nick,

Sport Auto gets their cars for testing from manufactures(if they are from EU) and German importers(for non-EU cars). You simply do not understand few things-Sport Auto will test GT-R for sure when this car enters EU market in March 2009... You can expect Supertest of GT-R in March or April 2009 issue. Not before...
    UK's EVO testes Japanese Grey import GT-R and they withold final judgement because it is not UK specs car...

Horst is very good driver. Better for sure then you and me on the Ring or varios tracks all over the world. BTW, I also finished very good at varoius track driving schools(2nd and 3rd) and I also attend Porsche Driving experience but, that do not make me a track expert...

Since Horst only achieved 7.52min 997TT(and official Porsche claim is 7.40min with Rohrl) that means that even 7.40min for GT-R in Horst hands would be excellent result. Just Horst also did 7.33min in 997 GT2(and offical Rohrl time is 7.32min...)...

Sorry to say this Nick, but you seems to ignor the fact what actually 7.29min means... IMHO it means that Nissan achieved sportscars Holy Grail, of course, if true...

Another question is will excellent Ring time make GT-R a better car for everyday driving? Again, IMHO this is not the case for any sportscar...

Quote:
    AUM said:

Simple answer: some employee just doing copy and paste. Do you expect one of the professionals (those doing the magazine) to review each and every item they put on their web site? They just copy in what kind of content they can find

BTW: I am really surprised that you seem to believe in that BS. You are usually so well informed and have quite a balanced and professional opinion

Quote:
    Nidge said:

There is no doubt that a 997s (FL) is slower and more expensive than the GTR.

However, assuming I could just buy the GTR or a 997s I would clearly prefer the 997s. Even if the GTR is a quick and efficient car I could never imagine myself owning such car The Porsche is such a refined and well looking product. The Nissan is a Nissan..

Most cherished objects (and services!) are not bought on a value for money basis. If something like that was true 99% of luxury brands wouldn't exist. I am saying this even if I strongly believe the price of the GT-R is heavily subsidised anyway and it is a typical loss leader.
    Performance-wise from first non-independent info the GT-R seems to be a good performer around NBR, Even if it was so, this will make very few people to choose it over a "slower" Ferrari.
    Some would choose it over a Porsche Turbo but these are the type of people that would buy a Mitsubishi Evo X or a special Subaru Imprezza, in other words a very limited audience in Europe at least.
    The N/A Carrera models appeal to people that like useable everyday performance with practicality and understated classy and timeless looks. Such people wouldn't be seen dead in this epitome of oriental taste. There is more probability of them going around in an Elton John outfit than being owning a GT-R.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Sigh... Not again. How often shall those who know Sportauto and its Supertest explain to those who have never ever read a single copy of a Supertest why there is no comparable magazine test out there

Of course, the Supertest can be criticized as well. However, as per today no comparably comprehensive and objective sports car test is available

Hi Markus!
    There is only one way to handle this H.v.S. discussion:

PS: The GTR is fugly
    PPS: Roehrl 7.40 997TT (insider)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

Simple answer: some employee just doing copy and paste. Do you expect one of the professionals (those doing the magazine) to review each and every item they put on their web site? They just copy in what kind of content they can find

BTW: I am really surprised that you seem to believe in that BS. You are usually so well informed and have quite a balanced and professional opinion

I neither believe nor disbelieve manufacturer claims until they are independently verified (calling the Nissan claim BS means you disbelieve without evidence).

What we do know from all the independent tests is that the GTR corners faster than the GT3 and Turbo and beats them both on various tracks. This is already an outstanding achievement for an overweight Nissan.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Since Horst only achieved 7.52min 997TT(and official Porsche claim is 7.40min with Rohrl) that means that even 7.40min for GT-R in Horst hands would be excellent result. Just Horst also did 7.33min in 997 GT2(and offical Rohrl time is 7.32min...)...

I didn't know Porsche was claiming that (7:40 in a 997TT in Rohrl's hands.) Frankly, I have been skeptical up until now about the original factory 7:38 claim for the GT-R (because the difference between it and the 997TT seemed too great) but all of a sudden that seems quite doable, considering the advanced gearbox and fool proof AWD.

What I don't quite understand is the sudden 9 second drop after some suspension changes. I know they are claiming this is a stock car, but how does that apply to the GTRs which have already been delivered? Will there a less "desirable" first batch?

Food for thought: Did they stiffen the suspension or soften it?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803566 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448644 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266238 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90126 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6671 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885938 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833594 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM