Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My Baby's Pictures: Guards Red with Silver HRE

Congrats Cannga Great choice in color and wheels . Enjoy in good health

Right up there with the best pics ever posted here. It looks great in red, have fun with it.

Good photographs.

We went to church this morning.

Center of attention, the way it SHOULDN'T be, but I don't think this wheel could help it.

Now that is a gorgeous car! Wow, that's all I can say! Love the rims too by the way.

Ran out of budget , so the only thing special I did for the interior is custom mat to break up the yellowish sand beige interior.

I thought the letters came out too gaudy, too big; funny thing is the sales manager--a seasoned Porsche veteran--really got a kick out of the design and called his sales staff to come by and look at the mat. Supposedly this is the way mats used to be done, so I got to the retro look inadvertently. For those interested: Lloyd's mat from Mat Depot 800-211-1703. Color is Bahama (code 645), PORSCHE (849001) in string beige color (918), turbo (849018) in red color (903).

Next one.

Last. Tomorrow I'll post the goodies I got from the dealer.

BTW, I asked them to not install either front OR rear plate, as the last dealer drilled a couple extra holes and almost caused me to turn down the car (kidding, kidding). Anyway, the rear plate includes a plastic backing that you see on the car and came with different length screws, self explanatory when you see it. Didn't realize that it wasn't even installed on my last car.

And I don't know what it is I had done during my interaction with the manager over the last few months that caused him to do this, but he actually left the plastic wrappings around every boxes/accessories that came with the car. That's so silly; I love it.

Again, thanks for all the comments. I show them to my wife as proof that there are "others" like me.

I really like those wheels but who here thinks a turbo needs a lip cause of the wide hips of the back?

Cong. Love both the color and rims as well.
    Just one question, are those rim silver? They look Titanium in the picture.

Quote:
    PandaMan said:
    I really like those wheels but who here thinks a turbo needs a lip cause of the wide hips of the back?

Needs to get painted, but that's a minor detail and I'm sure he left it unpainted for a reason.

Re: My Baby's Pictures: Guards Red with Silver HRE P40

Quote:
    cannga said:

Now some shots; still learning to take car pictures.

Seriously gorgeous. Congrats.
    Oh and btw, you're already taking pretty good pics if you ask me. But keep trying. We'll judge the results for ya

Cannga, need to lower it a touch next if your roads allow it

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Center of attention, the way it SHOULDN'T be, but I don't think this wheel could help it.

Awesome! Just a beaut!
    Wasn't a big fan of Red on 911's but your car disaptches that feeling. You picked the perfect finish for the P40's too, the brushed would have been to shiny. The Silver finish goes mint with the PCCB's, both complimenting each other in a track like focused look.. No bling just performance looking.

Have you already made an appointment for body armour? Not sure if you're pro or con protective film but even if you don't do the front bumper you should definitely get the rear of the wheels & rocker done. You've probably heard this before but if you don't protect it now no matter what kind of driving you do the paint is going to get blasted behind each wheel w/ out film. It's especially important imo w/ the optional painted rockers & rear you got. And on Red I can tell you first hand it's hardly noticeable in those areas. Getting it done right away is the only time to get it done, if you wait the paint will get rough from sand, small rocks etc hitting it and then the film wont look as smooth.

Quote:
    PandaMan said:

Personally, I don't think a lip is necessary, especially with these wheels. I actually think that the concave center cap area reveals how deep the wheel really is; very nice and subtle. I also love that the front wheels have much less of a pronounced concave area (for obvious reasons) which adds to the wider look in the back.

My only issue with these wheels (and, it certainly would not prohibit me from getting them, as I love them) is the stepped lip area. I am certain HRE still employs their proprietary reverse center drop fabrication, which results in the stepped lip. The technology appears evident from the center channel inside the wheel (barrel) itself.

I know that I posted this before, but I had major issues with one of the earlier sets of this type wheel. On my E46 M3, the HRE wheels would fill with water after washing and in the rain, which would result in a terrible front end wobble at any speeds above 50 mph. Hopefully this issue has been resolved. A simple test is to wash the wheels and see if water pools in the channels within the wheel. If so see if it dissipates upon driving. Inertia or a centrifugal type force retained the water in my wheels.

Gregg (Stradale), I thought that I had previously read where you were undecided about the center cap area disparity between the front and rear wheels? Anyway, are you getting these too? I hope so, because they will look stunning on your Cab, as well; and I can't wait to see them with another color and model!

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Wow, thanks everyone for the well wishes. Car was born mostly based on ideas I got from this forum (ask my wife how much time I spend staring at what YOU write ), and knowing how much you know Porsche, breathe Porsche, and think Porsche, please know that your comments mean A LOT to me.

I forgot to mention the stock shifter, vs. Sport/Short Shifter option. The effort with stock is heavy enough for me already so I probably would not want it any shorter than this. However since I am no Hercules, you probably should take my comment with a grain of salt. In addition, I am not that tall (5'7") and arms not that long, with current relationship of steering wheel to seat to shifter, any shorter shifter and I think I might have to "reach" a little for first/third/& fifth gear. But I have no experience with the Short Shifter, so this is just speculation. If you are trying to decide about the Short Shifter, just make sure you check out the stock one carefully. BTW, AFAIK stock 997 Turbo shifter is already shorter than stock 996 Turbo's.

I woke up at 6 this morning, took her to Sunday church (pictures, not baptism or anything like that, I am not *that* nutty), then we went for another round of fairly spirited driving. There is an industrial area in my city that has a few very fast (for my amateur level, that is nowhere near HVS or WR level but enough to get lumps in my neck ) curves that I am very very familiar with. I went back and forth with her, over and over the same 3-4 curves. I could confirm again that *at same speed*, the Turbo is not any more tail happy than my 997 C2 (or for that matter any car whose engine hangs behind the rear axle?). I think neither likes power applied before reaching apex, but in the Turbo case slow-in fast-out is even more critical because of the obscene amount of power involved and the abrupt way it could come on. Also, not sure if I am right about this, maybe some of the more advanced drivers here could chime in, but I also try to keep the rev. high entering curves so that the turbo doesn't kick in so abruptly in the middle of the turn; I think a spin is very much possible if there is an abrupt turbo boost at or before apex.

The article from Car & Drive complaining about off throttle oversteer for both GT3 and Turbo was worrisome to me. Frankly, I think those guys went in to the curve too fast, got wide eyed, lifted throttle, and predictably got their arses's handed to them.

The Turbo feels heavier than my 997 C2--if you like 500 hp, I don't think there is a way around this, but in trade, it gives a sensation of a much more "planted" front end and I think it understeers less going into curves. And of course there is the beast that is the turbo engine, it gives me the low end torque that I thought was missing in my NA 997 (for the life of me, can't fathom why people like would want more power than this--kidding Eclou). For those on the fence, this year, second year of model, is THE sweet spot. Don't wait!

Cann,
    RE: Short Shifter vs Stock. Wouldn't the reach into 1st/third/5th be less, not longer w/ short shifter? Trying to get your point about this area, maybe I'm just not understanding.

Love your comments above... Did you have a 997 or 997 S?

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    PandaMan said:

Personally, I don't think a lip is necessary, especially with these wheels. I actually think that the concave center cap area reveals how deep the wheel really is; very nice and subtle. I also love that the front wheels have much less of a pronounced concave area (for obvious reasons) which adds to the wider look in the back.

My only issue with these wheels (and, it certainly would not prohibit me from getting them, as I love them) is the stepped lip area. I am certain HRE still employs their proprietary reverse center drop fabrication, which results in the stepped lip. The technology appears evident from the center channel inside the wheel (barrel) itself.

I know that I posted this before, but I had major issues with one of the earlier sets of this type wheel. On my E46 M3, the HRE wheels would fill with water after washing and in the rain, which would result in a terrible front end wobble at any speeds above 50 mph. Hopefully this issue has been resolved. A simple test is to wash the wheels and see if water pools in the channels within the wheel. If so see if it dissipates upon driving. Inertia or a centrifugal type force retained the water in my wheels.

Gregg (Stradale), I thought that I had previously read where you were undecided about the center cap area disparity between the front and rear wheels? Anyway, are you getting these too? I hope so, because they will look stunning on your Cab, as well; and I can't wait to see them with another color and model!

No, that was someone else that mentioned they didn't like the difference in the center part of the wheel, front vs rears, I actually like the way this looks, the more in the rear the better..Oppss that didn't sound right but hope you get my meaning. .. No, ultimately after the thread of all threads w/ 38 pages & 377 replies, decided on Champion's RS171's painted black, painted black center caps w/ gold Porsche Crest & dimpled chrome wheel bolts. (They'll look just like the Champion WERKS ad.).....Actually my wheels are shipping today. But I seriously considered the HRE's too, they're a super cool looking wheel as you can obviously see from Cann's pictures. IMO they're the 2 nicest 997 Turbo wheels out there (the HRE P40 & Champions RS171)

ultimately after the thread of all threads w/ 38 pages & 377 replies, decided on Champion's RS171's painted black, painted black center caps w/ gold Porsche Crest & dimpled chrome wheel bolts. (They'll look just like the Champion WERKS ad.).....Actually my wheels are shipping today. But I seriously considered the HRE's too, they're a super cool looking wheel as you can obviously see from Cann's pictures. IMO they're the 2 nicest 997 Turbo wheels out there (the HRE P40 & Champions RS171)

Yeah, those are also very beautiful. Your car will look stunning.

i was resigned to keeping my stock wheels ...until i saw the hre's ...not much to imagine on my gr tt ... they look fantastic .. where did you get them from thanks

All I can say is, MAN, I like these! I would love to get these but new wheels are not on my things to get for the Turbo. I love the way these wheels look on your beautiful red 997TT! I can only imagine what they'd look like on mine. You've got something going in me.......

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Cann,
    RE: Short Shifter vs Stock. Wouldn't the reach into 1st/third/5th be less, not longer w/ short shifter? Trying to get your point about this area, maybe I'm just not understanding.

Hahaha, Gregg, it figures you would be the one questioning my comment re. the Sport Shifter. Nothing much escapes you. Yes you caught me red-handed probably in error. I am too embarrassed so let's just say I know why you asked and would you please not press the point?

Ok, well, at least gives me chance to state my case. LOL. I was thinking the longer shifter is TALLER and therefore closer to my shoulder height. You are pointing out it's longer and points further away. You could probably tell I have thought about it; in fact I did right after I had posted it, but didn't think anyone would catch me. Well you did! I'd probably better off keeping my mouth shut on this one, I DID say it was pure speculation somewhere no?

Re. clear bra, thinking about Venture Shield for the front. What you do plan to do for yours? Venture Shield, whole hood?

Hi Matt,

LOL! Thanks. I am as nutty about photography as about cars; have some experience with scenic & family, but this is first serious attempt on car.
    I really was learning/experimenting as to how much I should open the lens (Canon 85 1.2 L, Canon 1D), in relation to depth of field, in car's "portraiture."

Quote:
    Matt C said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Now some shots; still learning to take car pictures.

Seriously gorgeous. Congrats.
    Oh and btw, you're already taking pretty good pics if you ask me. But keep trying. We'll judge the results for ya

Hell devo,

Are you talking about the P40? Would you please explaining this part: "reverse center drop fabrication, which results in the stepped lip"? Where is the stepped part of stepped lip?

How do I check to see if this is how they make the P40? Besides washing, is there a way to check visually? Thanks.

Quote:
    devo said:

How could anything triple black not be?! 171 are super nice looking and actually even lighter than HRE P40.

Quote:
    devo said:
    ultimately after the thread of all threads w/ 38 pages & 377 replies, decided on Champion's RS171's painted black, painted black center caps w/ gold Porsche Crest & dimpled chrome wheel bolts. (They'll look just like the Champion WERKS ad.).....Actually my wheels are shipping today. But I seriously considered the HRE's too, they're a super cool looking wheel as you can obviously see from Cann's pictures. IMO they're the 2 nicest 997 Turbo wheels out there (the HRE P40 & Champions RS171)

Yeah, those are also very beautiful. Your car will look stunning.

eclou:
    I've been reading your PSS10 posts with great interest, but still not sure about the ride height. It's my daily driver and there are way too many unfriendly curbs between home and work, so let me see how the stock height works first. Thanks for the rec. though.

fsdell:
    The color is Silver Powder Coated, matched exactly to Porsche OEM silver wheel color. Titanium, if I understand you correctly--same as gunmetal?, in a matte finish would have been a great choice for a red car. I didn't want the wheel to distract and picked the subdued silver color over the more shiny brushed aluminum finish.

roadtrip:
    I bought mine from Wheel Enhancement, because they are local to me and offers to take my OEM wheels for trade in (a paltry 1500). I would definitely check with Peter Lee at http://www.wheelexperts.com or peter@wheelexperts.com also, and let him know someone from 6speedonline refers you and see what he could come up with. I too tried to like the OEM wheels, strictly personal preference: but those multiple asymmetrical slats (they are of different lengths and face different ways on left vs. right side--I am SURE Stradale notices this too LOL) and the mirror finish got to me. If you have a dark grey car and particularly if you have PCCB, IMHO the silver HRE P40 wheel would be PURE/UNADULTERATED PLEASURE.

Jason:
    How more nutty could *we* get?

OK I've got to ask:

Can we please have some interior shots?

The interior is plain old beige, with no modification, except Adaptive Sports Seat and Thick Steering Wheel. As mentioned, because of budget constraint, I decided to pick PCCB, LSD, and Sports Chrono, etc., over leather upgrade. The only thing I did for interior "decoration" is floor mats in a different color just to break up that monotonous yellowish tone (don't like black/beige leather mix).

Quote:
    Eric (Plug Guy) said:
    OK I've got to ask:

Can we please have some interior shots?

Can, Absolutely amazing. Congratulations. Guards Red with the silver HRE's is probably as nice as it gets. BTW, I went and saw your cars brother today but did not take delivery yet. Will receive on friday.

I do see a set of Bilsteins in your future.... come on, just a tiny lower, 5/8 of an inch. Mine are coming in a few days.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Cann,

Hahaha, Gregg, it figures you would be the one questioning my comment re. the Sport Shifter. Nothing much escapes you. Yes you caught me red-handed probably in error. I am too embarrassed so let's just say I know why you asked and would you please not press the point?

Ok, well, at least gives me chance to state my case. LOL. I was thinking the longer shifter is TALLER and therefore closer to my shoulder height. You are pointing out it's longer and points further away. You could probably tell I have thought about it; in fact I did right after I had posted it, but didn't think anyone would catch me. Well you did! I'd probably better off keeping my mouth shut on this one, I DID say it was pure speculation somewhere no?

Re. clear bra, thinking about Venture Shield for the front. What you do plan to do for yours? Venture Shield, whole hood?

You know I wasn't trying to bust your chops right? I wasn't even sure myself.... Is the shifter gear lever actually shorter in height than the stock gear lever, I thought it was just a 20% reduction in travel?

btw: IMO your spec is a home run, makes so much more sense to put the money to work on PCCB's than added leather or other cosmetic only options. If it's a choice of one or the other (PCCB's vs. cosmetic options) it's a no brainer.

btw2: Even your interior shot is so far above what we're used to seeing in photo's. Porsche would probably sell even more cars if they had someone as talented as you taking their marketing pics.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 6:32 AM
    GnilM
    803191 1807
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448561 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266114 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90056 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6586 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885697 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833242 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM