Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Some scroat but a brick through my windscreen tonight...

My wife and I managed to get my parents to have our little boy tonight so that we could go for our first real drive in the new car and have a meal at a friends house.

7pm this evening we were travelling down the M18 when just passing under the bridge before you join the A1 (junction 2 I think) some "Tw@t" lobbed a large object at the car hitting the windscreen at about at about 70Mph. All we heard was a huge explosion and glass shattering in our faces. The damage was on the near side right next to the corner pillar and I didn't want to get out of the car in fear of witnessing massive paint damage.

On inspection, the brick had left a hole about 11/2" wide by 3" long, but as it had hit the the black shaddow line on the screen the screen didn't completely fail because beneath the shaddow line is the internal leather pillar. This pillar was obviously strong enough to deflect the object in a strange direction.

Firstly it hit the windscreen, bounced off to the side, the air flow must have re-directed it back into the car hitting the rear glass quarter panel, then onto the rubber seal around the quarter panel. This seal deflected the brink away from the car.

I cannot believe that only glass was damaged, no paintwork whatsoever!

So, I rang the police, got a crime number etc etc and that's probably the last I'll hear of it. My friend was all for going down there and giving someone a good hiding. Me, I was too cheesed off to do anything.

These people want locking up. The consequences could have been fatal. They could have seriously injured either of us or even worse killed someone. This happened to lorry driver recently I remember.

I'll post some pics when my mate sends me them as we took them for evidence etc.

Anyway, got a question. I don't want an autoglass/RAC rubbish replacement windscreen but want an official Porsche replacement, this goes the same for the rear quarter light and rubber seal.

How much will this cost me do you think and how quick do you think Porsche can turn it round?

[edit]

The guy that rang me back to give me the crime number etc confirmed that it was a new 997 Carrera S this had happened to, and immediately began to add Joviality to the conversation, kind of mocking me really, things like, woo hoo, a new Porsche aswell, you must be gutted, sniggering after he'd made the statement. Wasn't really funny, but perhaps I'm being over sensitive.

Good thing no one was injured...

Brick/rock though windshield at 70mph! This could have been deadly... Glad you and your wife were unscathed.

Re: Good thing no one was injured...

Yeah, your right. I've kept calm but I bet I won't seem much change from Pounds1,000!!!

OMG, that really could have been tragic. I'm glad you are OK and I hope the police are able to figure out who did it. My guess is 'stupid teens' not understanding the potential outcome and ramifications. Either way, they should be hung by their scroats.

Oh my gosh. This is sickening. I can only imagine your upset. Really, the folks who do things like this should see some real jail time!

be careful England hasnt even lost in the world cup yet. crg

Holy f'ing sht! That's attempted murder.

Those people are sub-human.

Soooooooooooo sorry to hear that.

Wow glad you and your wife are safe. There has been reports of that happening in the States but some of the people get hurt real bad.

Glad that you are OK. This could have been fatal.

Ignore the police attitude. They are human too and can be jealous like anyone else who does not have the means to purchase a nice car.

Re: Some scroat but a brick through my windscreen tonight...

ResB said:

Quote:
    but perhaps I'm being over sensitive.

That incident could have ended much worse. Over sensitive my ass. People dont understand untill something bad happens to themselves. I hate that.

Glad youre OK buddy

ps: Hope you get hold of that *#%$

Glad you're ok.. a poor guy died in Melbourne about 3 years ago when exactly the same thing happened ie. rock thrown from an overpass on a freeway. The guy apparently died from heart damage when the rock went through the windscreen. Some teenage kids were apprehended a short time later. It's sickening!

Some pretty jealous people around - glad you are both alright. Had the same experience before driving in my beemer and kids twice chucked stones at the car. What's wrong with this country ?

Glad to know that you're ok. Well done for not losing control of the car as the thing hit your car.
    Hope the repair works go smoothly.
    Was it you who had the door keyed as well?
    Rotten luck!

Thanks for all the sentiments guys, it is appreciated. Well, I've slept on it and because it's Sunday I'll have to wait utill Monday to do anything constructive. I'm so impatient you know, the longer this hangs around the longer I'm moody if you know what I mean.

The Police will do nothing about it, I guess they are powerless unless someone shops them in, but that's unlikely. It's a bit of a thankless career being in the Police force at times I suppose.

Moto - Yeah, twice on the wing. I've had those sorted then this. I'm a little worried now as they say it comes in 3's!

OMG..., SO SORRY to hear that, GLAD that you and your wife are OK !!
    Where is this world going to ...???
    This really makes me feel and at the same time !!
    HOPE you get it fixed soon

You got really lucky to get out of this one without a scratch.

Don't worry about the car, it can be fixed. On the other hand if you had been hurt, it would have been another story.

These kind of stuff happened in Belgium too. You wonder what can go through their minds when they drop a brick on passing car. You must be pissed beyond belief. Glad you're OK. Don't drive you crazy about this because ther's nothing you could have done to prevent it.

BTW, I think you were right to avoid confrontation with those people because it could have led to even worst consequences.

All that matters is that no one got injured. These hooligans exist in every country, and don't spend time and energy thinking about them. They tried to hurt you and they failed, I'm sure you'll feel much better once the car is fixed, and they will get their punishment soon whether you know it or not.

I thought the yobs in england had forgottent his 'trick' - it was rife a few years ago, lets hope its not a sign of it returning to favour amongst the unruly kids of today.

Frightening experience, and one that shouldn't happen, but at least both of you are OK and the car isn't too badly damaged.

Dependent upon who your local OPC is, they may well send you down to Autoglass for the replacements

Quote:
    ResB said:
    The guy that rang me back to give me the crime number etc confirmed that it was a new 997 Carrera S this had happened to, and immediately began to add Joviality to the conversation, kind of mocking me really, things like, woo hoo, a new Porsche aswell, you must be gutted, sniggering after he'd made the statement. Wasn't really funny, but perhaps I'm being over sensitive.

I was reading in a UK auto magazine this weekend that people in the UK believe expensive cars are meant to show you have wealth but in the US it's percieved as showing you've accomplished something. Just what I read. I hear so many stories from UK Rennteam posters about being worried about Porsche vandalism and not wanting to buy a Porsche, afraid of unwanted attention. Does anyone else see this too ? I know this (jealousy thing) is true for people in the US too and these types of things happen all over but it sure seems like there is more of it in the UK ....... Really sorry that happened to you, glad no one was hurt and your ride can be fixed without any paint work, that was really lucky.

It's shocking how many of these animals reside in the UK. When I read the title of your thread, I instinctively knew where you were.

Having lived in the UK for many years, I have seen first hand acts of violence which would be out of place even on an episode of The Shield.

Anyways, I am pleased to hear that you are ok.

Lads , jealousy here in the UK is rife becuase as time goes on the poorer are getting poorer and the rich are getting richer . Modern times are hard here , for eg:: the average age of the first time house buyer has gone up to 34 yrs old in and around London, so you see how tough it is for the normal bod . So in effect this is past down to the youth , they realise that the normal guy with the normal job does not stand a chance to ever own such things , let alone an exotic car . So then the bs bitterness comes out , hence - ""If I cant ever have one then you certainly cant enjoy one"" , its sad but true .

People here in the UK hate to see others do well , simple ..

Anyways , glad you and your wife are fine Res , it could have been so much worse..

Easy..

throt...

Quote:
    throt said:
    Lads , jealousy here in the UK is rife becuase as time goes on the poorer are getting poorer and the rich are getting richer . Modern times are hard here , for eg:: the average age of the first time house buyer has gone up to 34 yrs old in and around London, so you see how tough it is for the normal bod . So in effect this is past down to the youth , they realise that the normal guy with the normal job does not stand a chance to ever own such things , let alone an exotic car . So then the bs bitterness comes out , hence - ""If I cant ever have one then you certainly cant enjoy one"" , its sad but true .

People here in the UK hate to see others do well , simple ..

Anyways , glad you and your wife are fine Res , it could have been so much worse..

Easy..

throt...

Res, great to see you/wife weren't injured/killed As much as we're all car fanatics, cars are easily replaceable anyway....

Throt, would observe Manhattan has similar disparities to those of London.....aside from a few hundred hedge fund guys and inherited wealth guys, very few guys in their 30s can contemplate buying a family-sized apt/townhouse in Manhattan, paying $30K/yr for each rugrat's school tuition, and having a wkend country house to escape the oppressive congestion of Manhattan (needed to maintain one's sanity )....but haven't really heard of any pattern of street crime/violent vandalism in Manhattan's affluent corridors....

Sure, US has plenty of jealousy, perhaps greatest among the affluent in major urban regions....e.g., the envy-inducing divide btwn those w/family planes vs those who fly commercial is well-known in Manhattan's prep schools

But the open class warfare isn't yet evident in US...perhaps surprising w/the often dramatic juxtapositions seen....

Unbelievable! Glad you're ok. It seems like we are hearing a lot of vandalism stories out of the UK lately. What gives?

That really is sick. Obviously these low lifes are envious to the point of risking lives. If you were in a regular car this most likely would not have happened. Hope you get it sorted out OK.

Sorry to hear about that ResB , Glad you and your wife were not hurt. Hope you get your new car fixed soon

Unfortunately the attitude toward success in the UK is somewhat different to that in other parts of the world.

If some 'people' see an expensive car, in most other countries, they will think, "If I work hard - maybe one day I could own one of those." But in the UK they think, "If I can't have one - why should he."

Sad but true....

ResB,

I'm so glad to hear you and yours is OK! It's a blessing neither of you were injured. Take care, and I hope your run of bad luck is far behind you.

Did the UK set all their criminals free at once? It's horrible what these animals are capable of!

Such depravity...
    Nevertheless, the important thing is that you're safe.

Unbelievable what some human beings are capable of

Res, some gruesome acts by people who don't realise what they inflict on others... I'm very glad to hear you're all ok, and that your children did not have to go through this.
    Heads up chap, and take care.
    -Joost-

Quote:
    John H said:
    Unfortunately the attitude toward success in the UK is somewhat different to that in other parts of the world.

If some 'people' see an expensive car, in most other countries, they will think, "If I work hard - maybe one day I could own one of those." But in the UK they think, "If I can't have one - why should he."

Sad but true....

We have our share of scumbags in the USA too, I remember hearing a few years ago in St. Louis someone threw a large rock from an overpass that went through the front windshield of a car killing the driver. I'm very glad ResB and family were not hurt.

About the only thing I don't like about my car are the frequent envious reactions from people. About once or twice a week I seem to encounter a jerk who wants to race or something and I had a small damage hit and run while I was parked that was probably intentional. While driving top down in the last few months one guy in a truck tried to flick his cigarette into my car, didn't make it, and an Audi A4 driver cut me off and tried his best to spray water back at me. Someone with a background in psych could really write an interesting article on personality types and people's reactions, friends included, that nice sportscars create.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802494 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448327 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265883 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89891 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6368 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885266 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831789 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM