Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

poll: manual v. tip v. PDK

Time to see if anyone's mind has been changed

Re: poll: manual v. tip v. PDK

997 Turbo is just fast...i think with manual you add pleasure to drive..

now RC kill me..

in an unscientific poll of local dealers in the NYC area

it appears that manuals are being ordered over tips at about a 2:1 ratio - not much different for than for the 996tt according to some knowledgable dealers. Wouldn't you think it would be the other way around because of traffic congestion? Here's my hypothesis - it makes more sense to order tips in countries or locations where speed is less restricted. It makes more sense to order a manual in places where you can't go that fast anyhow, so you might as well have the fun of rowing the gearbox.

Re: in an unscientific poll of local dealers in the NYC area

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    it appears that manuals are being ordered over tips at about a 2:1 ratio - not much different for than for the 996tt according to some knowledgable dealers. Wouldn't you think it would be the other way around because of traffic congestion? Here's my hypothesis - it makes more sense to order tips in countries or locations where speed is less restricted. It makes more sense to order a manual in places where you can't go that fast anyhow, so you might as well have the fun of rowing the gearbox.

Manuals are also being ordered in countries, where you can drive over 200 km/h

Both manual for me...

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

mmh..

yes..but i think also traffic is important..

in countries with a lot of traffic maybe is better to take tip to use in auto mode,for delete the clutch and the left leg
    but if i must buy a "automatic" 997 turbo due to the traffic is better that i buy another car
    in fact i don't buy the Tip version of the turbo also becouse my fear is that due to the traffic where i live i end to use the tip only in auto mode..
    but this is another story and i don't what to start another Tip vs manual thread..

I know only one thing:Porsche dealers have no explanation from Porsche about the 997 turbo + Tip gain in performance vs 997 Turbo + manual..
    My dealer when i talk about that the 997 Turbo Tip will be more reactive and more "fast" than manual,look me like if i drink somenthing strange....
    he know only that Tip is a little bit faster becouse he read this on the factory press release....but nothing of interesting like what tell us our friend RC..

i'm again on the manual..but the war is again open..

Quote:
    Super Darius said:

now RC kill me..

Yeap...I wanna be in control of my car when driving. Marginal gains in performance wont sway me from that, no matter how much faster tip or PDK will be

[quoteI know only one thing:Porsche dealers have no explanation from Porsche about the 997 turbo + Tip gain in performance vs 997 Turbo + manual..
    My dealer when i talk about that the 997 Turbo Tip will be more reactive and more "fast" than manual,look me like if i drink somenthing strange....
    he know only that Tip is a little bit faster becouse he read this on the factory press release....but nothing of interesting like what tell us our friend RC..

True... I was at the dealers last week and I brought up the subject of the new GT2... "Who says there will be a 997 GT2" was the response I got...
    Its cool to be able to let the Guys at the Porsche Centre over here learn a thing or 2 about the cars they are selling from me...

that quote didnt come out right

Manual all the way for me .

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

I've heard only 20%ish of 996/997 sold in US have historically been Tips, even before the 997TT "Tip is faster" marketing.

Prob 90%+ of 997TT are sold in dense urban regions around US; IMO, 90%+ of 997TT buyers are about as clueless about cars as are 95%+ of SL55 buyers, so they'll order/buy whatever the salesguy pushes/discounts, anyway....

Let's not forget rennteam is a very skewed population; prob 90% of actual buyers of 997TT/SL55/430 aren't particularly car guys...they either use the 997TT/SL55 for daily commuting grind (w/an SUV as their "weekend" family-time car)...or the car is a special, sunny summer wkend car for use to drive w/the wife to the country club ....the fantasy stoplight drag races to prove one's manhood and runs through the twisties are prob more the stuff of chat boards and the buyers of used 997TTs.....

And despite all the banter about allegedly higher speeds in EU, I suspect most of the 997TTs even in Germany are primarily used on traffic flow and speed lim-restricted sections of urban AB.....I'm amused by how much our pals in EU seem to know re: radar/laser detectors, which none of my fast-driving pals in SF seem to need to use (see 997 Board) ....Munich's rush hr AB speeds don't sound particularly different from those of SF's 280 fwy (if anything, Munich may be slower when adjusting for wintertime slowdowns)....

6 speed and 6 speed for me. Gotta get my rowing in. row row row

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

I've heard only 20%ish of 996/997 sold in US have historically been Tips, even before the 997TT "Tip is faster" marketing.

Prob 90%+ of 997TT are sold in dense urban regions around US; IMO, 90%+ of 997TT buyers are about as clueless about cars as are 95%+ of SL55 buyers, so they'll order/buy whatever the salesguy pushes/discounts, anyway....

Let's not forget rennteam is a very skewed population; prob 90% of actual buyers of 997TT/SL55/430 aren't particularly car guys...they either use the 997TT/SL55 for daily commuting grind (w/an SUV as their "weekend" family-time car)...or the car is a special, sunny summer wkend car for use to drive w/the wife to the country club ....the fantasy stoplight drag races to prove one's manhood and runs through the twisties are prob more the stuff of chat boards and the buyers of used 997TTs.....

And despite all the banter about allegedly higher speeds in EU, I suspect most of the 997TTs even in Germany are primarily used on traffic flow and speed lim-restricted sections of urban AB.....I'm amused by how much our pals in EU seem to know re: radar/laser detectors, which none of my fast-driving pals in SF seem to need to use (see 997 Board) ....Munich's rush hr AB speeds don't sound particularly different from those of SF's 280 fwy (if anything, Munich may be slower when adjusting for wintertime slowdowns)....

I think you almost know me. 05 SL55 ordered exactly the way I wanted it. ML500 for wet/snow days. ML63 on order. 997TT due in June/July. No country club thank you very much. Cruise with wifey in the SL55, but she will prob never ride in the 997TT because of not allowing me to have fun. "Do that again and I'll puke in your car"

"Do that again and I'll puke in your car"

sounds like what an ex-girl friend told me - but never mind, I don't want RC to ban me.

Re: "Do that again and I'll puke in your car"

love reading everyone's thoughts here (per the usual)--

i'm a 430 PDK-guy myself, but for time-being leaning more towards manual for 997tt despite all of RC's logic-mindedness...

that said, i'm with VKSF too--love the F almost in totality--i see life in duality for all its worth, no compromises~~

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:

now RC kill me..

Yeap...I wanna be in control of my car when driving. Marginal gains in performance wont sway me from that, no matter how much faster tip or PDK will be

Spoken like a true enthusiast, I wholeheartedly agree.

Quote:
    Mussl Kar said:
    Cruise with wifey in the SL55, but she will prob never ride in the 997TT because of not allowing me to have fun. "Do that again and I'll puke in your car"

Look at it this way: That beats puking first and telling you about it afterwards.

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:

now RC kill me..

I agree....I don't buy all this fascination with PDK - type transmissions.

one out five porsches are ordered with manual gearbox in lebanon, this is what my dealer told me ... funny hein?

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:

now RC kill me..

I agree....I don't buy all this fascination with PDK - type transmissions.

These few post express/summrize very well my thougth on this issue -- Long live to manual tansmission!! I also find that PDK or tip makes you more passive -- so nice to change gears especially when you done it smoothly -- I found it more natural and fun to drve a manual transmision in small windind roads than tip or PDK. However when you race in competition I would definetely choose PDK as tranny because I could use the few hundreds of second it offers over a manual tranny. As it's not the case (competition) i can will only get manual on my sports cars unless i cant use my left leg!

This poll says a lot about how the tip will fare once the PDK is out. That is of course assuming the PDK will be faster than tip.

For Porsche, the PDK will be a great boost when released as some people are definitly holding out for it (including myself), just when the initial rush for the 997TT slows down. Same thing with the "S" version. If anything, Porsche is the best at maxing out sales!

Quote:
    Cruise with wifey in the SL55, but she will prob never ride in the 997TT because of not allowing me to have fun. "Do that again and I'll puke in your car"

LOL your wife reminds me of my girlfriend

Mine too. The latest was "Does Mr Wiedeking's company make PSB? (Porsche Sports Bra)

"I can't hold on to the car and these at the same time"

The roads near my parents are rather bumpy but I am compelled to use the car properly

I already ordered my May Build. My original plan was to go for a tip. I live in seattle and drive 520 and well the traffic is just nasty. I Should really just take the bus. I had a 2001 TT/Tip. It sure made commuting easier. However, It just was not as fun to drive. I talked to wifey and she said tip all the way. So i ordered a 6 speed. Just seemed like the right thing to do. Damn the traffic.

My dealer in Dallas says 80% orders are for Tiptronic

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

They were reallly disappointed when the initial allocations came out and only 12 tips were offered out of 2000 cars in the US. That has changed now, last week Porsche quietly released a lot of tips up for grabs and they were all gone within the day. Most of the customers at my dealership had passed on the manuals and people 20 deep on the list were going to get their cars first because of the tip issue. Some of them just got moved back because of the release of the tip cars. I was one of those people at the head of the line that refused the manual and now I have a July Tiptronic build.

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    My original plan was to go for a tip...However, It just was not as fun to drive. I talked to wifey and she said tip all the way. So i ordered a 6 speed. Just seemed like the right thing to do. Damn the traffic.

That is the funniest [censored] thing Ive ever heard and it epitomises my thoughts on the tip. Brilliant!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778761 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442165 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263035 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261321 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85558 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5773 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881001 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817088 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM