Quote:
VKSF said:
Quote:
Alan(NJ) said:
it appears that manuals are being ordered over tips at about a 2:1 ratio - not much different for than for the 996tt according to some knowledgable dealers. Wouldn't you think it would be the other way around because of traffic congestion? Here's my hypothesis - it makes more sense to order tips in countries or locations where speed is less restricted. It makes more sense to order a manual in places where you can't go that fast anyhow, so you might as well have the fun of rowing the gearbox.

I've heard only 20%ish of 996/997 sold in US have historically been Tips, even before the 997TT "Tip is faster" marketing.

Prob 90%+ of 997TT are sold in dense urban regions around US; IMO, 90%+ of 997TT buyers are about as clueless about cars as are 95%+ of SL55 buyers, so they'll order/buy whatever the salesguy pushes/discounts, anyway....

Let's not forget rennteam is a very skewed population; prob 90% of actual buyers of 997TT/SL55/430 aren't particularly car guys...they either use the 997TT/SL55 for daily commuting grind (w/an SUV as their "weekend" family-time car)...or the car is a special, sunny summer wkend car for use to drive w/the wife to the country club ....the fantasy stoplight drag races to prove one's manhood and runs through the twisties are prob more the stuff of chat boards and the buyers of used 997TTs.....

And despite all the banter about allegedly higher speeds in EU, I suspect most of the 997TTs even in Germany are primarily used on traffic flow and speed lim-restricted sections of urban AB.....I'm amused by how much our pals in EU seem to know re: radar/laser detectors, which none of my fast-driving pals in SF seem to need to use (see 997 Board) ....Munich's rush hr AB speeds don't sound particularly different from those of SF's 280 fwy (if anything, Munich may be slower when adjusting for wintertime slowdowns)....

I think you almost know me. 05 SL55 ordered exactly the way I wanted it. ML500 for wet/snow days. ML63 on order. 997TT due in June/July. No country club thank you very much. Cruise with wifey in the SL55, but she will prob never ride in the 997TT because of not allowing me to have fun. "Do that again and I'll puke in your car"