Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

AIR INTAKE for my Cayenne S?

I want to get an intake for my cayenne. Any ideas? Is there a difference between a cold air intake and just an intake? If so, whats the difference and which one is better?

Re: AIR INTAKE for my Cayenne S?

Quote:
    PCS said:
    I want to get an intake for my cayenne. Any ideas? Is there a difference between a cold air intake and just an intake? If so, whats the difference and which one is better?

You're welcome to tell me to butt out, if you want, but if YOU don't know what you want, why could you possibly want it?

i want an air intake but i dont understand the differnce between an air intake and a cold air intake, do any one of them add anymore power, or are they the same? Which company should i go with?

This is what you want.
    http://www.evoms.com/Cayenne%20TT%20main.htm#vf
    Simply put....More air, more cool air is what your engine wants and needs.
    More cool air in and more warmed air out. The more efficient this flow is, the better of a HP (potential) gain you will notice.

These intakes will be sold as a set and be priced around $600. They will be released within a few weeks (first week of May) and I will probably have one installed the weekend of the 21st-22nd of April.

I have the Turbo so it wouldn't be an exact comparison, but if you wanted me to be a "test subject" I can certainly report to you the differences I feel if any. My car has a few other perfomance mods so these will be helping my overall HP increase, but HP is not an additive thing with different mods combined anyhow. So if you can hold on for a few more weeks I would.
    The Evo-V-flow air intake system will be a big improvement over perfomance filters from BMG of K&N and a HUGE improvement over the OEM filters and stock intakes.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    PCS said:

You're welcome to tell me to butt out, if you want, but if YOU don't know what you want, why could you possibly want it?

An air-intake is where the motor brings air in; air being an essential element for the combustion process. Conceptually, the cold-air intake would provide more power by feeding the motor with lower temperature air, which is denser and would theoretically provide a higher compression and more oxygen, etc. Some car designs have their air-intake from inside the engine compartment, where the air temperature is much higher because of heat radiated from the motor and also hot air exiting the radiator. In these designs it is (again, theoretically) possible to increase power by rerouting the air-intake to outside the engine compartment, to the outside air, which would, presumably, be cooler, and able to generate more power. In the case of the Cayenne motor (photo below) the air-intake is already drawing its air from outside the engine compartment, so no rerouting is necessary, or desired, or advisable. Just enjoy your car. It's fine like it is.

fritz: too funny! Thanks.

yeah, might make a minute difference in the turbo. certainly not in the S. just keep it stock !

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    PCS said:

fritz: too funny! Thanks.

Oooops. My question was actually meant to be serious, GM.

I'm not familiar with the air induction layout of the Cayenne, so didn't know offhand if it collects cool air from outside the car or warm air from the engine bay until you confirmed.

My intent was to query the concept of spending money on after-market "improvements" without first having a basic understanding of why that particular aspect of the car might (or might not) need improving.
    I can see that the shorter version of my query might seem funnier than the long version.

No offense taken and I apologize if I sound too arrogant but sometimes I wonder: is there any aftermarket part available for an "intake" for the human brain? Just curious. Feeding some "common sense" through this "brain intake" would surely save some people a lot of money and it would definetely save some of us here from a good laugh.

yeah, but a good laugh is always welcome. at least some give us something to shake our heads about

I had my sinuses drilled out to allow more air in, I can atest to the increase in brain power and the reduction in overall lag especially in the morning when its cold, much better cold start performance without the need to hold the handkerchief until the exhausts warm up.

Quote:
    so no rerouting is necessary, or desired, or advisable. Just enjoy your car. It's fine like it is.

Are any mods ever necessary? - no of course not.

Are mods desired by the car? - far too anthropomorphic for a Porsche, but they are desired by MANY owners.

Are mods advisable? - not if you are going to do them outside of PAG/PCNA says Porsche. However, some improvements (computer tuning, exhaust upgrades, intake upgrades, intercoolers, breaks etc. certainly can yield an improvement in performance (HP, torque, with consequent improvements in 0-100km speeds and top speeds, decreasing breaking distances).

Will the mods be noticeable -Absolutely.

Why did Porsche deem it "necessary" to offer a ridiculously priced package to "modify" the Cayenne Turbo in many of the same ways I pointed out if it is "not advisable?" And talk about a waste of money and those to "laugh" at - that would be the poor saps that spent around $19,500 through Porsche to get the performance package. Which has now been (sort of) re-dressed as the Cayenne Turbo S.

I'll Dyno my car anytime and show more Torque and HP than a Turbo S or Turbo with Porsche's Performance Kit, and all for about 1/3 the cost!
    Here is a Dyno example from Alex911s http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=248013&highlight=cayenne+dyno

Alex did not redo his entire exhaust either or have the new V-flow intakes on, or upgrade the diverter valves - with an impressive improvement nonetheless!

So we just agree to disagree here But we still love our cars and the Porsche community

Quote:
    Mick said:
    I had my sinuses drilled out to allow more air in, I can atest to the increase in brain power and the reduction in overall lag especially in the morning when its cold, much better cold start performance without the need to hold the handkerchief until the exhausts warm up.

Thanks for that Mike. I think I needed a good smile.

kooser: Hey, no harm intended and I've done plenty of modifications on my cars, a couple of decades worth in fact. So if you want to "mod" your Cayenne, that's great! Go for it. Have fun.

For myself, I've come around to the concept that, rather than modifying my car for extra performance, it's a lot easier to just buy a faster car to begin with. Then you're already there.

As to PCS's question, he wants to know if adding a cold air intake to a Cayenne is advisable, and since the Cayenne already comes with a cold air intake, there's really nothing to be done.

Quote:
    kooser: Hey, no harm intended and I've done plenty of modifications on my cars, a couple of decades worth in fact. So if you want to "mod" your Cayenne, that's great! Go for it. Have fun.

For myself, I've come around to the concept that, rather than modifying my car for extra performance, it's a lot easier to just buy a faster car to begin with. Then you're already there.

I here ya! I wish the Turbo S was out alredy when I bought my car because I would have snarfed one up fo shizzle! I also have realized that rather than take a middle tier car, albeit awesome, like the Cayman S, and add many options to it from the factory, which then balloons the price greatly ($90,000 +), it would be much wiser to get a "standard bare bones" Carrera S or C4S.

Quote:
    kooser said:
    I'll Dyno my car anytime and show more Torque and HP than a Turbo S or Turbo with Porsche's Performance Kit, and all for about 1/3 the cost!
    Here is a Dyno example from Alex911s http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=248013&highlight=cayenne+dyno

1. what happens if you need a new engine? Who pays?
    2. what happens if your aftermarket tuning puts too much stress on the drivetrain, causing a nasty behaviour at let's say top speed?
    3. what about resale value?
    4. what about high speed reliability?

I saw many tuned Cayenne Turbo sitting around for repairs, most of them with broken engines. When I went to Zuffenhausen for some talks, two tuned Cayenne Turbo with broken engines were there for repairs too.
    I'm also sure that you added the better brake to your tuned Cayenne because, like I reported in some earlier posts, the standard Cayenne Turbo brake is crap when driven hard. It is hardly capable of handling the standard power.

I had my 996 Turbo tuned at RS-Tuning because I know what they were doing and it proved to be right, no problems.
    With the Cayenne Turbo, things are a little bit different. The engine is new and since it is pretty similar in design with Audi V8 engines (some even say that it is a highly modded V8 Audi base design because of the engine software mapping and codes), mostly Audi/VW tuners offered kits for the Cayenne Turbo, even the ones from Porsche tuners may be bought from them. The Porsche powerkit is not cheap, I agree. But looking at the parts involved, it is a package you get, not just a simple tuning. When driving through a narrow Autobahn curve at 282 kph on the speedo, you'll understand what it means to "trust" factory setups.

Quote:

1. what happens if you need a new engine? Who pays?
    2. what happens if your aftermarket tuning puts too much stress on the drivetrain, causing a nasty behaviour at let's say top speed?
    3. what about resale value?
    4. what about high speed reliability?

I saw many tuned Cayenne Turbo sitting around for repairs, most of them with broken engines. When I went to Zuffenhausen for some talks, two tuned Cayenne Turbo with broken engines were there for repairs too.
    I'm also sure that you added the better brake to your tuned Cayenne because, like I reported in some earlier posts, the standard Cayenne Turbo brake is crap when driven hard. It is hardly capable of handling the standard power.

I had my 996 Turbo tuned at RS-Tuning because I know what they were doing and it proved to be right, no problems.
    With the Cayenne Turbo, things are a little bit different. The engine is new and since it is pretty similar in design with Audi V8 engines (some even say that it is a highly modded V8 Audi base design because of the engine software mapping and codes), mostly Audi/VW tuners offered kits for the Cayenne Turbo, even the ones from Porsche tuners may be bought from them. The Porsche powerkit is not cheap, I agree. But looking at the parts involved, it is a package you get, not just a simple tuning. When driving through a narrow Autobahn curve at 282 kph on the speedo, you'll understand what it means to "trust" factory setups.

No one here mentioned anything about just a simple tuning. I was talking about a package, one that duplicates the perfomance Kit package, actually "bests it" at a fraction of the cost. Intakes, intercoolers, blow-offs, brakes, full exhaust, computer DME tuning etc.

1. New engine -Porsche Pays (Why, because many MANY dealers in the U.S. mod these cars for their patrons. They are the ones that suggest it. If a problem arises they got your back. They have used Evolution/GIAC for the past two and a half years without an incident to date).
    2. No answer for this question, you would be sh^t out of luck! But that is why you have to find an established, reputable company focused on Porsche with a tested product - hence GIAC, Techart, Hamann for instance. Many guys that I know who have mods, whatever they may be, track their Cayenne Ss and Turbos without any issues either.
    3. Resale should be unaffected. Return the Car to stock (keep all the original parts). Alex for one just sold his back to the dealer without a problem. I am going to drive mine until it falls apart. This will be a pretty long time because it will get rest through each summer when I rotate it with a Carrera 4.
    4. is really related to #2.

Like I said before agree to disagree here, but Love your car and the other people in the Porsche community

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803319 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448601 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266162 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90085 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6639 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885779 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833389 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM