Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne

noone1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Cayenne-S-E-Hybrid-/111881520348?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a0ca884dc:g:0bQAAOSwqYBWoQK5&...

2015 w/ 6K miles. MSRP $125K. Asking price is $89K.

30% under MSRP, save $36K.

You'd have to be crazy to buy a new Porsche these days. They drop like a rock within the first year.

Depends on the car but I agree: If you want to buy, a completely new one may be not the best idea.

Most (facelift) S eHybrids over here in Germany cost around 110-115k EUR with low mileage. The example you gave is a bargain you won't find here.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Just out of curiosity: Do you like how the Bentley Continental GT coupe looks? I like this car a lot, especially the convertible. I don't know if I would buy it but I like it. The Bentayga is kind of weird looking, I think they tried too hard and they also may have had a (design) problem with the platform they are using (just a wild guess though).

Never like the Bentley styling inside and out. Almost seems like they are designed for really old people with bad eye sights who can't see the design. Quality of the material is top notch but the design is just bad.

Bentley needs to get out of the stone age and come to the 21st century in designs. Rolls Royce did.

--

Whoopsy:
    crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

I was debating whether to buy a Cayenne now. Either a Cayenne e-Hybrid or a Cayenne Turbo S.

The Turbo S is peerless in terms of power/ torque/practicality/ reliability combination. Have you driven a Bentayga yet - that may match it for all I know but at an even higher price point and worse looks?

Not driven but I have seen the Bentayga in person for their local launch. One of the ugliest car I have seem, perhaps a step up from the Pontiac Aztec.

Interior also put me off. It's still that typical extremely dated Bentley from 10 centuries ago, all the wood trim doesn't help either. Smiley

Really? I didn't think it looked too bad though I think it will be very very colour dependent. Was it the coppery coloured one they had in Vancouver? In their dark greens/greys/blues it should look pretty good, same with the interior. I"ve always had a hard time with the washed out lighter leathers (especially the browns) which look pastel coloured... But black exterior with black & red interior and ebony wood or Cumbrian Green or BRG maybe

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Bentleys are for rich people from China.  They don't care about design, handling, look, etc.  Give them any cars in brands of Bentley, Range Rover and Ferrari and they will buy them all.

Driven a friend's Continental GT coupe once.  Looks is OK as they all look the same (same apply to Porsche I guess), interior has nice material, but the car is super heavy.  You don't even talk handling about these cars.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Targa Tim:

Bentleys are for rich people from China.  They don't care about design, handling, look, etc.  Give them any cars in brands of Bentley, Range Rover and Ferrari and they will buy them all.

Driven a friend's Continental GT coupe once.  Looks is OK as they all look the same (same apply to Porsche I guess), interior has nice material, but the car is super heavy.  You don't even talk handling about these cars.

Bentleys have a design style that is unique, much like Porsche or Aston Martin or Lamborghini. I think the quality is certainly top notch. 

My brother in law has a GT Coupe, he's 6'6" and weighs about 250-260. It fits him well. But it doesn't compete with a Porsche, it competes with a MB S Coupe, so of course it doesn't handle like a Porsche. It's a fast, 4-seater, year-round, summer or snow coupe for someone that doesn't mind people knowing they have money. 

--

I've has my Cayenne S diesel for over a year now and it's a remarquable car. Really fast, really economical, really practical, handles decently too for a 3T pig, well, not quite, but she's heavy. And considering it's a Turbo engine, it's pretty easy to get out 450hp out of the standard 380hp engine, that shall be the next step.

But it's a really good all round family car.

Futch:

Agree, just got back from a ski vacation. Even fully packed it's still a lot of fun to drive on a twisty snow covered mountain road. Plus I love the sound of the V8.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Futch:

I've has my Cayenne S diesel for over a year now and it's a remarquable car. Really fast, really economical, really practical, handles decently too for a 3T pig, well, not quite, but she's heavy. And considering it's a Turbo engine, it's pretty easy to get out 450hp out of the standard 380hp engine, that shall be the next step.

Never thought I would read this words from you, business must be really bad. Smiley Smiley

Kidding aside, I love the Cayenne. I miss my GTS a lot but if I had the money, I would get a Turbo S with all the bells and whistles.

I'm not a Diesel fan (great in the city, crappy on the Autobahn) but if I had to choose between the new Cayenne S or GTS with biturbo charged V6, I would get the S Diesel instead.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

993Targa:
    Futch:

Agree, just got back from a ski vacation. Even fully packed it's still a lot of fun to drive on a twisty snow covered mountain road. Plus I love the sound of the V8.

The Cayenne with V8 is an amazing family car, as weird as this may sound to many. My kids always loved the Cayenne and I always loved the V8 engine. Even now, I regret getting rid of my Cayenne GTS, it was the best handling SUV I ever owned and the sound was amazing too.

I deeply regret that I couldn't convince my wife to get a Cayenne Turbo instead of the Macan Turbo she chose, the dealer had a white Cayenne Turbo facelift in the showroom and lease cost was basically the same (only 3k EUR more initial payment). The Macan Turbo was in extremely high demand at that time, the Cayenne Turbo not, so... Now it is too late. My wife kind of regrets it too a little bit but not really. She loves her Macan in the city but whenever we travel with the kids, she misses the Cayenne (the Jeep SRT is a bit too loud for her taste...sport exhaust system...and all).

--

RC:
    Futch:

Never thought I would read this words from you, business must be really bad. Smiley Smiley

Crude's at $30 a barrel, give the poor guy a break! indecision Than again Western Canadian Select is at $15/barrel and Alberta is dying a very fast and very violent death.Smiley

--

Mithras:
    RC:
    Futch:

Crude's at $30 a barrel, give the poor guy a break! indecision Than again Western Canadian Select is at $15/barrel and Alberta is dying a very fast and very violent death.Smiley

Exactly thank you!

seriously though, I swapped the V8 GTS for the S Diesel and the diesel is far better suited to the Cayenne IMO. 250kmh on the motorway, but driven cool, it'll do up to 1000km on one tank, I'm not really into fuel economy but it's pretty impressive for such a big girl...

RS 991:

http://m.autoevolution.com/2018-porsche-cayenne-mule-spied-for-the-first-time-104229.html

Actually I like what I see. It looks that new thing will have some more edges and looks a bit more sturdy than the current Cayenne. Smiley

Lars997:
    RS 991:

http://m.autoevolution.com/2018-porsche-cayenne-mule-spied-for-the-first-time-104229.html

Actually I like what I see. It looks that new thing will have some more edges and looks a bit more sturdy than the current Cayenne. Smiley

There's no new design language evident here yet - this is just a modified body of the current/facelifted Cayenne. They're probably testing engines and platform components but this is a good sign - the actual mules might be around the corner.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

Looks like a grown up Macan, I like it.

--

J.Seven

rulesdontapply:
    Lars997:
    RS 991:

There's no new design language evident here yet - this is just a modified body of the current/facelifted Cayenne. They're probably testing engines and platform components but this is a good sign - the actual mules might be around the corner.

rulesdontapply

There won't be a new design language for various reasons. The platform is used for other manufacturers as well. Also, the feedback on the Macan has been so great, why not use the design language for the Cayenne? (tail lights will be different though, not really similar to Macan but more a mix between 911 and Macan, it is difficult to describe).

--

I am not sure the wheel arch design, copied and pasted from the old Mercedes S-Class, is such a wonderful idea...

olli:

I am not sure the wheel arch design, copied and pasted from the old Mercedes S-Class, is such a wonderful idea...

You are aware that the car on the photos is heavily camouflaged? Smiley

--

Sure, I just hope that the wheel arch design is art of the camouflageyes

olli:

Sure, I just hope that the wheel arch design is art of the camouflageyes

Actually, I think it looks that way because they kind of used the new chassis with a camouflaged old body. Smiley Not even sure if this is a Cayenne since it shares the platform with other brands in the VW Group.

--

As an owner of the new Q7 i can only hope that the step from old to new Cayenne will be the same as with the Audi. That new chassis is damn good, you wouldnt believe how lightfootedly the new Q7 drives, not only compare to its predecessor (which admittedly wasnt too difficult)  but to any other full size SUV! 

--

turbolite

How they'll have the boost turned up on the Turbo... it'll need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l19X6xrlJc

0-100 in 7.98 is pretty damn fast for an SUV, now?

turbolite:

. That new chassis is damn good, you wouldnt believe how lightfootedly the new Q7 drives, not only compare to its predecessor (which admittedly wasnt too difficult)  but to any other full size SUV! 

That was exactly my impression when I test drove all the main SUV around in the last two weeks.

This week I am placing my order . All my specs are nearly done .

Did you go for the diesel engine or petrol ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil, i took the Diesel 272PS and i must say i am very happy with it and would recommend it.

I thought about the TFSi briefly because of the Dieselgate problems but as the Q7 in Europe is not touched by it this is not an issue anymore.  Additionally the TFSI costs Fr 4000 more than the Diesel which is certainly the more expensive engine to produce, that means the margin for Audi must be enourmous on that engine. Last but not least i would have considered the fuel version if they had put the new 3.0 biturbo powerplant into the Q7 as they did with the new S4. But they didnt, so i dont see why one should pay extra money for a good but thirsty and old engine.  

On the positive side of the Diesel i have to add that the throttle response in this version is really excellent! And i say this coming from the Audi Biturbo tdi (313ps). and the x6 40d (306ps biturbo). Both those engines had a much sloppier throttle response than the Q7! The bad throttle response is the single most unnerving feature of a Diesel engine in my opinion. Consumption is good at an average of about 9.5 liters.

so what are the downsides of the Diesel?

1. lack of sound! I mean we will have to get used to electric engines but as long as there is some fire under the bonnet it would be nice to hear that! The Audi biturbo had a great sound synthesizer that really gave it a bit of a V8 baritone (or almost). At least you could drive just listening to the engine, with the new one it is so silent its almost ridiculous. I know there are some aftermarket options but they are not MfK conform, which disturbs me.  I hope Audi will offer something in that direction soon. 

2. At high revs its limited, so a second or third turbo would be great. ABT offers a tuning to 335 hp but i am afraid that might kill the great throttle response. Solution? go for the SQ7, order books should open in march and that will certainly be a bombshell if what is being speculated is true..👍 (4.0 V8, 430 PS)

--

turbolite

turbolite:

Gnil, i took the Diesel 272PS and i must say i am very happy with it and would recommend it.

I thought about the TFSi briefly because of the Dieselgate problems but as the Q7 in Europe is not touched by it this is not an issue anymore.  Additionally the TFSI costs Fr 4000 more than the Diesel which is certainly the more expensive engine to produce, that means the margin for Audi must be enourmous on that engine. Last but not least i would have considered the fuel version if they had put the new 3.0 biturbo powerplant into the Q7 as they did with the new S4. But they didnt, so i dont see why one should pay extra money for a good but thirsty and old engine.  

On the positive side of the Diesel i have to add that the throttle response in this version is really excellent! And i say this coming from the Audi Biturbo tdi (313ps). and the x6 40d (306ps biturbo). Both those engines had a much sloppier throttle response than the Q7! The bad throttle response is the single most unnerving feature of a Diesel engine in my opinion. Consumption is good at an average of about 9.5 liters.

so what are the downsides of the Diesel?

1. lack of sound! I mean we will have to get used to electric engines but as long as there is some fire under the bonnet it would be nice to hear that! The Audi biturbo had a great sound synthesizer that really gave it a bit of a V8 baritone (or almost). At least you could drive just listening to the engine, with the new one it is so silent its almost ridiculous. I know there are some aftermarket options but they are not MfK conform, which disturbs me.  I hope Audi will offer something in that direction soon. 

2. At high revs its limited, so a second or third turbo would be great. ABT offers a tuning to 335 hp but i am afraid that might kill the great throttle response. Solution? go for the SQ7, order books should open in march and that will certainly be a bombshell if what is being speculated is true..👍 (4.0 V8, 430 PS)

I tried the diesel and I must say, it was the most impressive ' normal ' diesel I have ever tried . I agree that that throttle response makes the difference . But I remain a non fan of diesels because of the low reving .  I saw a test that praised the petrol engine, but as it is impossible for me to try it, I will go with the diesel . I had planed to have the ABT chip put in immediately but had not thought it would affect the throttle ....

The SQ7 would be great, but for the use I will make of it, it would be over kill for me .

--

Gnil, if i may suggest dont forget to order the all wheel steering. I was kind of sceptic but wouldnt want to miss it now, it really works well. And if you like music order the Bose system, dont stick with the normal one. Unlike my S5, where the Audi sound system was great and far superior to the Bose of my 911 turbo, the standard system here is just too weak in the Q7. Not terrible but It lacks punch and definition. 

And if you you take the additional heating (Standheizung) make sure yountick the box of the Emergency Call, because that Is what you will need to be able to steer it via the phone app (very practical when u are out of reach of the remote).

I ordered a second Q7 because the dealer forgot to put in the RSE preparation and now am actually looking at the option to getting another one because i am still not completely happy with the specs - so if u have questions about them just ask, i have done my share of studying them ..:-)

turbolite

turbolite:

Gnil, if i may suggest dont forget to order the all wheel steering. I was kind of sceptic but wouldnt want to miss it now, it really works well. And if you like music order the Bose system, dont stick with the normal one. Unlike my S5, where the Audi sound system was great and far superior to the Bose of my 911 turbo, the standard system here is just too weak in the Q7. Not terrible but It lacks punch and definition. 

And if you you take the additional heating (Standheizung) make sure yountick the box of the Emergency Call, because that Is what you will need to be able to steer it via the phone app (very practical when u are out of reach of the remote).

I ordered a second Q7 because the dealer forgot to put in the RSE preparation and now am actually looking at the option to getting another one because i am still not completely happy with the specs - so if u have questions about them just ask, i have done my share of studying them ..:-)

turbolite

Thanks Turbolite , the car has been ordered Monday . Delivery July .  I loaded the car with options , ticked nearly all of them Smiley  The RWS is , I agree , a must . When I tried the car it had it and it makes the Q7 so ' nimble' . One of the reason I choose the Q7 over the dinosaur GL .  I went a bit overboard with the options ....... all the driving aids have been ticked, Matrix LED, sound proof privacy windows , etc..... Audi is now as bad as Porsche for options . I had to add more then 50% of the value of the car in options Smiley    But I did not take the distance heating , had to draw the line somewhere .  I took the Bose .What else do you feel is very important and what can be left aside ? Do you use the automatic door and boot opening ? ( I was hesitating with this one but ticked it at the end ) 

What color ? I ordered the metallic white but was tempted by the pearl white ( but as I am not able to see it in real , skipped it . I still have about 10 days to change the order )

Will you be a able to sell ( or trade in ) easily your ' old' Q7 ? There are  already 120 for sale on Auto scout 

--

Hi Gnil, i agree the options list is endless! 

At least a part of it is covered by the ' Aussattungspakete'. I guess you took the S line interior, the premium package,and the infotainment one you cover quite some ground and it also includes the door closing aid and the electric boot if i remember correctly. I would take the glass roof as it is really big (my kids love it). I did not take the head up display as it is redundant in my opinion and expensive. All data already get displayed on the central display and the virtual dashboard, so there is no need for a third one. I did not take the sound proof glass as i felt the car is silent already and people who took it and had the glassroof said it defies the purpose cause the glass roof can be heard then. I'd take the towing hook if you ever want to transport some bikes or so (i love that). If u have a 5 seater make sure you take the back bench 'plus' which allows it to slide. It is standard on the 7 seater. Do order carplay (you cant add it later) as well as smartphone connection and the Rse preparation. When looking at the various electronics packages (tour etc). make sure you dont miss out on the assistance for parking and the side or back collision (dont remember how its called exactly). Best is to have the Audi guy go through his ordering program with you as their program is different from the configurator. Mine is daytona grey with f51 21 inch summer wheels (the ones that look a bit like Fuchs wheels).  There is also a new option to blacken out the chrome parts, particularly the grill which i have not seen live but it could look good (had that combined with my moonshineblue Audi and it looked great). Dont know the differences in white but there is a white one standing in my garage and it looks really good (privacy glass is another must imo) with sulver f50 wheels (thar are the ones like the RS6 has). Other two options i ordered and like is the garage opener and the 4 zone climate. 

As per mine i dont know what the dealer will offer me, he called me today and mentioned that the leasing rates might go down soon and after that he would come back to me . vedremo... as they say in this part of CH!

--

turbolite

Turbolite, 

Yes, I took s-line inside and out and all the other packs , also infotainment . The extra option for the boot is called '' confort key'' , not included in any pack, and it allows you to open the boot by sliding your foot underneath the bumper + it opens the front doors when you approach ( no need to press anything ) . A bit silly, but I fell for it indecision

I did not take the glass roof , but did hesitate a lot . My wife does not like the sun on her head, even trough a tinted glass as she is also sensitive to glare. She has it on the mini, but always keeps the blind closed . Also we are both tall, so not having it will give us extra head room ( 2 good cm ) . I would of been lice for the extra light , specially that we did take the privacy windows . I took the 7 seater ( i have 3 kids ) , but did not take the towing hook .  Took the 4 zone climate .

I did take the smartphone connection and the RSE preparation . As to the parking and other aids, I think I took everything that was possible . Some were in the pack but some had to be added . I did not go for 21 inch rims as I do not want to have to be careful with the wheels and want to be able to drive over any street hole or side walk . 

I also hesitated with the front black frame but as I could no find one single photo showing it , I skipped it . I am afraid it could look too much as the front frame is huge on the Q7 .

Have you tried the Matrix LED ? I have ordered them but was unsure if it is really a plus ?

All the best in lovely Ticino .... !

--

Hi Gnil, yes i guess its a question of preferences with the glassroof but i am 187cm tall and do not mind the 2 cm at all (in this car!). Then there is a dark curtain below it which repairs well from the light when u dont use it, but of course if you dont intend to use it at all its not worth buying! I also have comfort acces but never tried the boot trick. Had that on a Bmw 335 and it really never worked properly (u look and feel like a fool standing on a parking lot kicking repeatedly without succes under the car!). but maybe its good here. The comfort access for the doors is a must for me and i also got used to the automatic door closing mechanism (i mean the tight  'suction'). Problem is when u use other cars u dont close doors properly anymore as you expect the car to do it for yourself! I also like the design of the sport steering wheel and added the heating, that is a must imo. Once u have that you never want to miss it again! The ambientelighting is nice but more of a gimmick, my 6 year ol loves it though and has me change colours regularly. More practical are the rails in the boot and the protections to slide into it. This because otherwise shopping bags fly around (exactly the contrary of the 911 boot!). Also useful is the Cargo net (netztrennwand) as it allows you to pack under the roof without having stuff flying forward. I ordered the leather/alcantara interior and it is very nice, but the full leather one looks more upscale in my opinion. Oh well, option, options! When are you expecting delivery? best

--

turbolite

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802454 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448315 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265870 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89879 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6347 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885242 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831676 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM