Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ordering a new 991

Hello fellow porsche loversSmiley

Hope this won't sound ridiculous but i am seriously struggling placing an order!

My first dilemma is choosing a colour

i have been driving black on black porsches since 2008 and its time to change

so white , silver or grey??

privacy tinted glass? has any one seen the factory tinted glass?

porsche dynamic lights with black rims? 

sport suspention 20 mm lower?

i know for sure that i am ordering pdk with sports chrono  and sport exhaust with  full leather 

i am getting the glossy trim around side windows

Help help help

Re: Ordering a new 991

This is what some people refer to as "a nice problem to have" indecision

Personally I am a bit tired of both black and silver. Here in Switzerland most dealer cars tend to be one of those two. I would go for white if you prefer a flat color, grey if you prefer a metallic. White definitely requires a lot more effort on the washing, but I guess you are used to that coming from a black car.

Dynamic lights, maybe. Sport suspension, yes.

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

OG911, I was in the same boat over two years ago and I can feel the situation you are in. Back then I googled and youtubed the hell out of my computer to get as many comparisons as possible.

I think silver fits the new 991 very well and makes it an elegant looking 911. kiss  As far as the options go, if money is no object, I recommend that you pick the stuff that makes sense and will make you really happy in the long run. Don't buy for others or resale considerations. At least that is what worked for me. Good luck configuring your dream Porsche!

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

go for something different, try mahogany metallic, or anthracite brown metallic

PASM Sport Plus is amazing. Steering feel with it is outstanding- rock solid and totally communicative. Not in the old "wheel dance" way.  I have had a 74 S and a 78 SC and a Boxter S. I know the traditional feel. This is way better when pushing fast. 

I suspect the 991 just likes being in a lower stiffer configuration. The amazing thing is that the suspension remains so supple that you can use the Sport + setting without shaking loose your fillings.

Mine is Platinum Silver over black  full l leather.  It was at the dealer and has no PSE. It has a LOT of exhaust character (and in Sport the intake sound is piped in to add to the grins. I have been telling myself  it is the adult version. And I have been thinking about getting PSE fitted every time I get on it!!!

I was in the same boat, I had the idea of the 911 Only as a sporty and agressive car but never owned one before, so I ordered a white, manual, black wheels, red seatbelts and none comfort options.
    Now that the honeymoon is over after driving it every day for the past couple of months, I am getting tired of rowing gears and keeping it in the proper power rev range which is unusually high BTW. My car looks too plain and in no way looks like a +$100k car to me, I realized that my 991, even though it is a very radical fast sport car, it can also be a comfortable and luxurious GT daily driver, so I needed all the bells and whistles I could afford.
    I just placed a new order for a highly optioned PDK 991 in platinum silver, which looks fantastic in this car, very sporty and elegant at the same time. Carrera classic wheels and a Burmester stereo.

Having tried most colour options over the past 30 years, I have to say that white is my favourite with black wheels and definitely now with PDK...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

sfo:

We call it sh.tty brown or rust brown... Smiley

Seriously: I can't imagine something more saying "I'm old" than a brown(ish) car color.

One of our friends bought a met. brown colored Mini and my son always calls the color "sh.t brown". Nothing more to add.

I love black, this is no secret but many other colors suit the new 991 just fine. Depending on your neighborhood and whether you take the car to work or not, I would choose a more neutral color like black, white or maybe red. Silver tones are also nice but do not take the regular platinum silver color, my father had a similar color on his last car...and he is 88. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Thats it! i am placing an order tomorrow morning 

Platinum silver. Carrera classic wheels with coloured crests. chrome trim around windows. pdk. sports chrono. sport exhaust. sport suspension and dynamic cornering lights.folding mirrors. parking sensors. sun roof not the glass one.

Black leather interior with sport seats plus.

I am not sure yet about tinted factory privacy windows and burmeister sound system.. will make a decision at the dealers.

I really wish that i wake up tomorrow morning without changing my mind to white car!

Good choice! Go for it!

dxpetrov:

Good choice! Go for it!

+1 kiss

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

I think you may well do....

Silver 911's can be classy, given the right wheels, but there are so many of them around - maybe not in Australia though..

--

order done!

Thanks for your comments.. wasn't an easy decision.

My porsche dealer is going to go nuts 

I asked him to change my order into white colour with glass sun roof all other options remain the same.

I put the initial order on the 30/5/2012 so hope he will accept the change 

So white with full black leather 

folding mirror parking sensors

20 mms lower, pdk, sports exhaust.sports chrono

porsche crests on head rests, heated seats, led interior package

OG911:

I asked him to change my order into white colour with glass sun roof all other options remain the same.

white cars look great in the sun, which is plentiful in Oz. great choice!

White looks very good with carrera classic wheels. I regret everyday not getting those.

sfo:

Must admit, metallic dung wouldn't be my first choice of colour! angry  Much like the awful macadamia of the 997 range. If we were in the privileged position of ordering a new Porsche sports car, 981 or 991, white would be our choice, with either red or blue leather. Saw a fantastic 991 at Swindon when we were collecting our 997, nearly perfect, white with ocean blue, Carrera wheels in black, the only missing choice was the rear of the sports seats were grey and really looked unfinished, had they been finished in exterior colour then the car would have been spot on. blush Except for one small detail - we couldn't afford it! surprise

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

I've noticed that the on the 991, the  lower rear bumper in black is made of rough finish unpainted plastic. This variety of plastic tends to easily become discoloured (a white hue) very quickly after exposure to road dirt, mud etc. It will be PITA to keep it in its original shade by using plastic conditioners etc. Porsche offer as extra cost option the whole bumper to be painted in body colour, but this spoils the contrast and might make the rear look fatter.

BMW (M Paket) and Audi (S Line)  apply black or grey paint on the lower bumper for the darker finish, in order to avoid the problem as above. Why don't PAG do that very simple thing too on a car costing so much more cheeky

--

"Form follows function"

Hey guys 

My dealer agreed this morning to change my order!

Production November 2012

Delivery January 2013

White 

black leather interior,heated seats, porsche crest on head rests, led interior light package.

PDK, SPORT EXHAUST,SPORTS CHRONO .. i canceled sport PASM .. didn't like the look of front spoiler.

I odered a new option that will be available from november productionPorsche dynamic lights in black , i think it will look cool with white 

parking sensors.folding mirrors.slide roof

911 on the back not 911 carrera s 

sport classic wheels with coloured porsche crests

Paid  a further deposit and will site waiting for 6 months!

@reginos

There are plenty of "back to black" vinyl restorers that should quickly restore discolouration of plastics - disappointing that such material should be used on a quality product like the new 991 though!

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

Hey

You were on the spot

I changed my mind and got a new order in white!

I think you made the right decision   but that's one hell of a long time to wait for it...surprise

--

John H:

I think you made the right decision   but that's one hell of a long time to wait for it...surprise

Congratulations on the order! You made the right choice, the 991 is an absolute stunner and complete beast.

John - you think that's a long wait? 991s in Kuwait are backordered all the way through to mid-2013; if you were to place an order for one today, you'd have to wait 14 months from your order date for delivery!

rulesdontapply

IHello!

I put an order on my car with a reasonable deposit. the car is scheduled for november production and will be delivered in january 2013. 

My dealer mentioned that i could still change the order until locking it in September.

these are the specs on the car

White. 911 on the back. parking sensors. porsche classic wheels with coloured porsche crests.folding mirrors. 

Dynamic lights in black( its an option available for australian market)

PDK. SPORTS CHRONO. SPORT EXHAUST. POWER STEERING PLUS.

Black leather interior 14 way seats. porsche crest on head rests. paddle shifters

Bose system( no cost option on australia)

I am thinking of the following changes and would appreciate any input and advise 

1. changing the colour to platinum silver and deleting the black dynamic head lights just dynamic lights in their factory colour .

2.getting the steering wheel with multifunctions. i sold my carrera 4s 2010 to the dealer and it has multifunction steering wheel and currently i got a golf gti with multifunction steering wheel. i am so used to it and starred getting worried about loosing that functionality. how do you change menus on the screen in front  of you ? is it worth keeping paddle shifters and adding voice control?

i really like the look of the steering wheel with paddle shifters . if i have to change it multifunction then i might choose the steering wheel with carbon ( its an option combined with heated steering wheel)

3. SPASM.... is it worth adding the 20 mm lower suspension . my dealer is not encouraging me to add it.

4. having the whole lot on the back 911 carrera s . i wish there is an option of only carrera s.

5. Is it worth adding adaptive  18 way seats ?

Any feedback would be much appreciated 

Once i lock the order in September there will be no room for me to change anything .

I have never been so undecisive like this before!!

Hello!

I put an order on my car with a reasonable deposit. the car is scheduled for november production and will be delivered in january 2013. 

My dealer mentioned that i could still change the order until locking it in September.

these are the specs on the car

White. 911 on the back. parking sensors. porsche classic wheels with coloured porsche crests.folding mirrors. 

Dynamic lights in black( its an option available for australian market)

PDK. SPORTS CHRONO. SPORT EXHAUST. POWER STEERING PLUS.

Black leather interior 14 way seats. porsche crest on head rests. paddle shifters

Bose system( no cost option on australia)

Metal sunroof not glass

I am thinking of the following changes and would appreciate any input and advise 

1. changing the colour to platinum silver and deleting the black dynamic head lights just dynamic lights in their factory colour .

2.getting the steering wheel with multifunctions. i sold my carrera 4s 2010 to the dealer and it has multifunction steering wheel and currently i got a golf gti with multifunction steering wheel. i am so used to it and starred getting worried about loosing that functionality. how do you change menus on the screen in front  of you ? is it worth keeping paddle shifters and adding voice control?

i really like the look of the steering wheel with paddle shifters . if i have to change it multifunction then i might choose the steering wheel with carbon ( its an option combined with heated steering wheel)

3. SPASM.... is it worth adding the 20 mm lower suspension . my dealer is not encouraging me to add it.

4. having the whole lot on the back 911 carrera s . i wish there is an option of only carrera s.

5. Is it worth adding adaptive  18 way seats ?

6. I really like the idea of glass sunroof but every time i build the car on the configurator it doesn't look right with either white or platinum silver

Any feedback would be much appreciated 

Once i lock the order in September there will be no room for me to change anything .

I have never been so undeceive like this before!

OG, firstly congratulations for at least deciding on a great car and for getting this far down the speccing phase without driving yourself bonkers! I was in that phase until last friday when I finalized my spec. That wasn't until I had been threatened, by the wife, to call the men in white coats bearing straight jackets. I made so many changes after my order had gone from the dealer to Porsche that my salesperson had to take an extra couple of days off! I'm convinced that I've even driven his replacement around the bend! So as far as you being undecisive... I've taken it to a whole new level mate!

Ah well onto your dilemma. Lie down on the couch my down under friend. I guess it's worth mentioning my spec on my  991S to include the following add-ons to the standard US models:

• Platinum Silver Metallic
    • 20-inch Carrera S wheel
    • Wheels painted Platinum (semi-gloss)
    • Black standard interior
    • Sunroof (steel)
    • Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
    • Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) with PASM sport suspension
    • Sport Chrono Package
    • Sport Exhaust System
    • SportDesign steering wheel
    • Packages P37 BOSE(R) Audio Package
    • Premium Package*
    • *Interior P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way)
    • *Interior Leather 840 
    • *Automatically dimming mirrors
    • *Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
    • *Seat Heating (front)

Your point:

1. I had ordered white, then agate gray, and then finally switched to Silver because i think it's a color that really accentuates the lines of the 991. I also love the subtle change in tone of the silver depending on the light. I also wanted contrasts with the rest of the car i.e. Silver and Black. Hence standard black bits and interior.

2. The wheel is such a personal choice and depends on whether the car is a daily driver or not. My reason for going with the Sport Design was functionality and minimal. I like its design and simplicity. The car it not going to be my DD.

3. SPASM - without going into the technicality of the issue, anything that aids handling is not going to hurt. My last P car was a 997.2 GT3 and I loved (and miss) its handling. I think that even for the occasional bout of spirited driving anything that brings the extra wide grin on my face would be worth it. Hence my rec of going for it.

5. 18 way adaptives - sure if they suit your body better. I have a shoulder issue thats taking a while to heal and decided to go for the 14 way sport seats.

6. Ahh to glass or not to glass? I spent a whole 2 weeks on this one! Two reasons I dumped the glass roof for a steel one. a) I don't think the dark glass roof will look good on a silver car. b) I'm not convinced about the amount of light it will let through. I have not seen one for real. Have a look at this thread  http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20409511/Sunroof_or_not/page1.html

Well I hope this long winded post helps. I know your dilemma and feel for you! ;-) The order will soon be locked in the system and there will be changes no more!

--

Incoming - 991 2S
    Fond memories: 997.2 GT3 - 997.2 C4S PDK - 997 TT - 997.1 C4S

Talking about back order in Kuwait.

A lot of the things they said are not becoming true. I had access to buy many 991 S's & 4S's since Mar 13. Either allocation increased or cars are diverting from outside.

I am putting an order for the 991T, but I am timid to firm it up.

I think we will get very good prices at time of delivery.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806207 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449430 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267004 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90423 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7150 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887075 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835729 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM