Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Exit 458 Italia.... enter MP4-12C

Here are some very personal, and hopefully reasonably objective observations on the whole MP4-12C versus 458 Italia debate. First of all the looks question. The McLaren has been criticised for lacking supercar wow factor, and looking like a 90’s car rather than something launched in the 21st century. I do think the car is unusually colour sensitive to becoming run of the mill in terms of supercar visual appeal in the silver and light greys, but this is certainly not the case with my McLaren Orange ( I would say that wouldn’t I Smiley) and a number of the other colours. One gets just as much attention in the McLaren as with the 458 Italia ( not the reason for buying either though). Approaching the car does give that essential supercar tingle down the spine, and there is undoubted drama (as well as hassles) with the scissor doors as anyone who has had them will attest. Looks are subjective as ever, but I think this whole “it doesn’t look like a modern supercar” assertion is well and truly debunked.

Once one is in the car, I would take the sports seats in the 458 Italia over any other car I have ever driven. They look fabulous, and are extremely comfortable even over longer distances. The McLaren’s seats are visually much less appealing, but still comfortable. The seating position is equally good in both cars, but the road view from the McLaren is far superior to the 458 Italia’s. One can see right over the bonnet, and there is a great feeling of being right on top of the road ahead, and the field of view both left and right feels much greater. Rear view is similarly limited in both cars.

Now for the steering wheel and paddles debate. I prefer a thicker steering wheel so the 458 wins, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the thinner and slightly smaller one on the MP4-12C. I have always thought the indicator functions etc  being on the wheel was more than a gimmick in Ferraris, but the McLaren’s stalks do give a real feeling of quality. The biggest difficulty was getting used to the paddles moving with the steering wheel in the McLaren whilst having driven Ferraris for a long time where the paddles remain stationary.  Initially, I thought this was a pain, but the more (and faster) I have driven the MP4-12C I can completely see the logic of having them on the wheel. In addition, the slightly stiffer click of the McLaren is much more involving than the much softer one on the Ferrari. You are a better driver than me if you can drive really fast and still have the time to think about the pre-cog function that the McLaren has! The push/ pull function for up and down gear changes on either the left or right side paddle has proved to be useful. So, a win for the McLaren on the paddle debate. I would take the manettino on the steering wheel versus the McLaren’s centrally mounted buttons for suspension and engine mapping functions (both are way safer than the silly location of the sport button on a Porsche). As I have commented previously, the McLaren’s dash and selection of car settings etc are the finest on any car I have owned. They are study in clarity whist still having significant visual appeal. Manettino apart, the Ferrari’s functions are much more fiddly and a whole lot more difficult to alter if you are anything but stationary. The touch screen for the Iris system in the McLaren will trump the Ferrari once it eventually works! It’s a disgrace that it does not this long after launch of the vehicle Smiley. Although I do have a lot of sympathy for McLaren as they have been let down by suppliers.

Now for the things that matter most like speed, handling, and sound. In the case of the engine sound and exhaust note, this really is a no contest. The 458 wins hands down in all situations in my view. Don’t get me wrong, the McLaren is not bad, it’s just that there is no substitute for a high revving naturally aspirated engine linked to an appropriate exhaust. McLaren have tweaked the cabin noise sound for the Sport and Track settings since launch, but the result really does have a strong element of synthesis, and “The lady doth protest too much, methinks" about it. Moreover, there is no getting away from the turbo whine. The McLaren has its own distinctive hum / V8 throbbing at start up that changes appropriately to more of a growl/ roar at higher revs rather than the howl of a Ferrari, but it never satisfies in the way a Ferrari does.

There isn’t a shadow of doubt in my mind, that in all normal road driving situations the MP4-12C is not just a bit, but really discernibly faster than the 458 Italia. But there is no getting away from the fact that it is quite easy to tell that the delivery of the power/ speed is from a turbo charged engine rather that a natural aspirated one – personal choice as to which is your preferred “drug”. The low speed performance of the dual clutch system in the McLaren is poor – it’s far too jerky.  McLaren need to do a software upgrade here urgently. Out of first and second gears the dual clutch performs well, but the Ferrari system is the best on the market as far as I, and many others I know are concerned. From a handling point of view I find the McLaren’s clever suspension and brake steering systems engender a great sense of confidence and reassurance. Allied to the carbon monocoque which quite clearly gives much better rigidity than the 458, this means I am taking corners I know well near my home up to 10 miles faster in the McLaren. All this moaning by motoring journalists who like to make tails wiggle etc is much less relevant in day to day life Smiley. The”‘floaty” feeling of the McLaren suspension is easy to get used to and really is not that noticeable in the Sport/ Sport setting that I use most of the time. I’d say a win for the McLaren on roads, and a win for the 458 on tracks.

The MP4-12C really should come with ceramic brakes at the price point it has been introduced at like the 458 Italia. I refused on principle to pay the extra for the ceramics and am now regretting it. I find I am really stamping on the steel brakes to get the same level of feel and confidence that I did with the 458 Italia. This may be a steel versus ceramics issue or a genuine difference brake performance between the two manufacturers – I suspect it is the former Smiley.

These are both truly outstanding vehicles in their own right with their own peculiar characteristics Smiley. If I were to have only one, it would be the 458 Italia. Do I regret selling it for the MP4-12C?  - not for a second Smiley.

Fantastic review. Very informative and gives anyone interested in the two cars a frame of reference in deciding which to buy. 

--

As requested here are some more pics after detailing:

DSC_0159.JPGDSC_0238.JPGDSC_0184.JPGDSC_0212.JPGDSC_0289.JPG

Wow - very informative, especially as there are few on this earth that can compare the ownership experience of both cars. It occurred to me as the McLaren emerged that it was intended to completely dominate the Ferrari F430, which would have been the known target during development, but that at the same time they did not anticipate the greatness of the F458 as a competitor.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Thanks for the review, it's great to hear the insights of someone whose actually lived with both. Another question, do you use the cars as daily drivers or more of weekend toys? if you do how do they compare against the normal everyday things like traffic or going to the shop or parking around the city and things like that? after all making amazing lap times and impressive weight figures is great but IMO a great car also has to be able to do all the simple things. 

Great review and pictureskiss

Which is better to drive at night? Anything noticable about that?

Thank you very much for this first hand  and real life review.

The MP4 looks far better in real life then on pics. I way always skeptic about it until I saw it in the flesh . Then I loved it as it is  a small car with a clean design  . 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Fantastic review, thank you so much. cool

Seems as if a combination of 458 and MP4-12C would be the ideal sportscar, perhaps with a bit of the stealth factor of a Porsche Turbo. indecision

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Terrific write-up from one of the very few who would really know what they are talking about... kiss

You should try selling the comparison review to Motoring Magazines/ Journalists.  It would be a scoop for one of them.. Smiley Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Enmanuel:

Thanks for the review, it's great to hear the insights of someone whose actually lived with both. Another question, do you use the cars as daily drivers or more of weekend toys? if you do how do they compare against the normal everyday things like traffic or going to the shop or parking around the city and things like that? after all making amazing lap times and impressive weight figures is great but IMO a great car also has to be able to do all the simple things. 

I did use the 458 regularly and it was absolutely fine with shopping runs etc. -a real quantum leap in terms of smoothness and reliability from my F430. The McLaren is similarly practical in day to day driving, but does have two issues  - the jerkiness of the gearbox at low speeds , and if someone parks too close  - you can't open the scissor door!Smiley  . However, for the most part my daily driver is now the FF - what a revelation that car has been.

JimFlat6:

Great review and pictureskiss

Which is better to drive at night? Anything noticable about that?

I haven't noticed any differences - both have excellent lights etc. In the wet, I would much rather be in the McLaren.

Thanks a lot for this insightful summary. Highly appreciate that you took the effort to share your impressions with us. I agree that the McLaren has a very innocent yet technical appearance in those silver colors, that orange definitely fits to it. 

After a few weeks of ownership, how do you rate the reviews that preceded your purchase, especially the one from Fifth Gear?

Thank you for your first hand review. Your MP4 looks great in orange Smiley

From your review the McLaren comes across as an excellent sportscar and even faster than Ferrari on the road but in some areas the fact that McLaren is not a complete road car manufacturer (yet?) seems to be apparent. Things like the touch screen and the DCT programming you mention are serious omissions at this level.

Could you comment on the comparative ride quality and any differences in wet handling, please?

--

"Form follows function"

Ferdie:

After a few weeks of ownership, how do you rate the reviews that preceded your purchase, especially the one from Fifth Gear?

This was the issue I was referring to regarding journos wanting to make the tail wiggle and do power slides - fine for racing drivers like the Fifth Gear crew - but of very little relevance to everyday enthusiastic , but safe driving on roads.

kiss

reginos:

Thank you for your first hand review. Your MP4 looks great in orange Smiley

From your review the McLaren comes across as an excellent sportscar and even faster than Ferrari on the road but in some areas the fact that McLaren is not a complete road car manufacturer (yet?) seems to be apparent. Things like the touch screen and the DCT programming you mention are serious omissions at this level.

Could you comment on the comparative ride quality and any differences in wet handling, please?

--

"Form follows function"

The McLaren suspension system means that on virtually all road surfaces it is very compliant and not harsh and bumpy in the way super cars were even 10 years ago. The 458 is also a real leap forward from older Ferraris and very civilised on the road. In the wet, the Ferrari is much more" tail happy" than the McLaren and far more care is required if driving aggressively.

Thank you for your reply wink

--

"Form follows function"

crayphile:

... and if someone parks too close  - you can't open the scissor door!Smiley  . However, for the most part my daily driver is now the FF - what a revelation that car has been.

Can you imagine having to wait at a parking lot until the owner of the car next to you gets out just so you can get in your car. Guess you'd have to thing about leaving enough space every time you park. 

Enmanuel:
    crayphile:

... and if someone parks too close  - you can't open the scissor door!Smiley  . However, for the most part my daily driver is now the FF - what a revelation that car has been.

Can you imagine having to wait at a parking lot until the owner of the car next to you gets out just so you can get in your car. Guess you'd have to thing about leaving enough space every time you park. 

IMO these silly doors are the most unnecessary gadget of the whole car. Smiley

A fantastic car like the MP4-12C could easily do without. Smiley

--

Fantastic real-life comparison, thanks for sharing!! wink

Great review, thanks! wink

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Seems like McLaren is taking the same route as Nissan with the GT-R, with upgrades coming with every model year.

MY2013 MP4-12C  will get 625hp and a few other upgrades. Current owners will get this upgrade as well.

Great spec btw Smiley

mv:

Seems like McLaren is taking the same route as Nissan with the GT-R, with upgrades coming with every model year.

MY2013 MP4-12C  will get 625hp and a few other upgrades. Current owners will get this upgrade as well.

Well,

therein lies the difference. Smiley

mv:

Great spec btw Smiley

Very interesting that they already raise the power after such a short time, although I think that the MP4-12C really doesn't need a power upgrade. Any information why McLaren did that? Smiley

--

Rossi:

Very interesting that they already raise the power after such a short time, although I think that the MP4-12C really doesn't need a power upgrade. Any information why McLaren did that? Smiley

1. Being unable to deliver promised performance ? (MP4-12C press cars are hardly able to reach performance claims)

2. Compensate current owners all the initiate problems with reliability and sat-nav, which is still not available after 12+ months of production and numerous unfulfilled promises regarding its delivery date ?

Thank you for this wonderful and rare report Smiley Glad you´re happy with your MP4, it looks agressive in this color, but after reading all your post, everything you say about 458 is what I´m looking on an exotic sports car, specialy engine sound, V8 power and the tail happy remark. Love to have a wild beast under my hands. I do swicth off PSM on my 911 many times, the rear becomes more alive & wild , so much fun to drive like that.

J.Seven

bluelines:

Great review, thanks! wink

+1 ... it's great to read perceptive first hand impressions from someone who has actually owned both cars - thanks again :)

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Crayphile,

Excellent stuff, are you still happy with the car? You comments on taking your daily corners ten mph faster is very telling to me, and your comment about its greater stability in the rain.  I drive my cars five days per week and on long runs in wet, gravel and dirt so I find your comments quite comforting as I prepare to order a mcl spider, any updates appreciated.

Cheers watt

watt:

Crayphile,

Excellent stuff, are you still happy with the car? You comments on taking your daily corners ten mph faster is very telling to me, and your comment about its greater stability in the rain.  I drive my cars five days per week and on long runs in wet, gravel and dirt so I find your comments quite comforting as I prepare to order a mcl spider, any updates appreciated.

Cheers watt

Watt  - you will not be disappointed  - it is a consummate all round performer that you can use every day eitther in a relaxed or aggresive fashion depending on your mood / road conditions. I have had no mechanical reliability issues so far. McLaren might actually get round to fixing the IRIS system in the mext month or so  along wiht the free power upgrade. I suspect I will get the Spider in due course as well. Be careful with the colour choice as I think the light greys etc do not work well on it at all.

crayphile:
    watt:

Crayphile,

Cheers watt

Watt  - you will not be disappointed  - it is a consummate all round performer that you can use every day eitther in a relaxed or aggresive fashion depending on your mood / road conditions. I have had no mechanical reliability issues so far. McLaren might actually get round to fixing the IRIS system in the mext month or so  along wiht the free power upgrade. I suspect I will get the Spider in due course as well. Be careful with the colour choice as I think the light greys etc do not work well on it at all.

Thanks,

normally I would order silver since the car will be dirty even washed once a week. I can see that black and perhaps white work well, maybe dark blue. What colours would you recommend? The orange makes me too visible when ignoring speed limits by large margins:)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803405 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448619 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266194 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90101 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885829 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833440 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM