Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Cayman R - now official

Another 7000 euros for +10bhp, aluminium doors and less kit doesn't seem very good value to me somehow. If the uplift was to 350bhp then maybe it would be good value and I would be sore taking delivery of my 320hp Cayman S tomorrow.  But 350bhp isn't going to happen because the Cayman RS would then threaten the 997 C2S performance wise. Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10 delivery) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

dreamcar:

Another 7000 euros for +10bhp, aluminium doors and less kit doesn't seem very good value to me somehow. If the uplift was to 350bhp then maybe it would be good value and I would be sore taking delivery of my 320hp Cayman S tomorrow.  But 350bhp isn't going to happen because the Cayman RS would then threaten the 997 C2S performance wise. Smiley

The Carrera S has over 400HP now (powerkit made standard on GTS) so there is room for the 3.6 340-350HP special edition Cayman without touching Carrera S sales at all.

The people who like the Cayman are usually younger (as your choice demonstrates ) or lovers of the ME car.  Similarly someone who buys the entry level Mercedes 350 SL wouldn't be tempted by the AMG SLK. Moreover, the Carrera 3.6 is bought in small numbers anyway so even a slight loss to the Cayman wouldn't hurt PAG.

--

"Form follows function"

I love it in the Peridot Green with the wheels in black. This is seriously tempting ...... which will come as no surprise based upon my previous form for green cars

Cayman R.JPG no

reginos:

The people who like the Cayman are usually younger (as your choice demonstrates )

You are too kind -sadly untrue as I am looking for a Porsche tequipment  zimmer frame that will fit the Cayman boot....Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10 delivery) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

Woolfe:

Like the green but it looks like Marketing has usurped engineering.

My thoughts exactly. Smiley 

--

fritz

dreamcar:
    reginos:

The people who like the Cayman are usually younger (as your choice demonstrates )

You are too kind -sadly untrue as I am looking for a Porsche tequipment  zimmer frame that will fit the Cayman boot....Smiley

You are giving Porsche marketing ideas for a folding zimmer frame colour coded to the car exterior with CF accents Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

LA show

12901036460001.JPG12901036534952.JPG12901036617063.JPG12901036708144.JPG12901036786155.JPG

Spyder- Awesome in every way.

Cayman "R"- a pathetic lazy-ass parts bin exercise. Why bother? Porsche what the hell are you thinking?

fritz:
    Woolfe:

Like the green but it looks like Marketing has usurped engineering.

My thoughts exactly. Smiley 

--

fritz

Just as a "PS", I find it particularly disappointing that the use of the "R" model suffix was approved for this variant, since no feature has been added which would justify it.  Smiley

--

fritz

Chris Harris had a rant about it on Twitter yesterday and in addition, blogged about the history of the "R" badge on Evo. The former quite entertaining, the later quite informative.

Twitter: twitter.com/#!/harrismonkey (Nov 17th)
    Blog: tinyurl.com/32wwjx5

--

Matt C
    2009 997 GT3 Mk2  / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

Matt C:

Chris Harris had a rant about it on Twitter yesterday and in addition, blogged about the history of the "R" badge on Evo. The former quite entertaining, the later quite informative.

It is (slightly) reassuring to see that I wasn't the only to think like that.  Smiley

I'd hate to think that the change in "ownership" of the company will lead to a speeding up of the "dumbing-down" of the products.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Matt C:

It is (slightly) reassuring to see that I wasn't the only to think like that.  Smiley

But this is just a little consolation, isn't it? 

--

Matt C
    2009 997 GT3 Mk2  / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

As I am disappointed as well and especially regard the "Cayman R" as a step backwards concerning styling and considering, what Porsche was able to come up with the Spyder, perhaps, let's simply say, that for somebody in the market looking for a green Cayman with the most sporty set-up you can currently get from a Cayman - well, then, it's THE car...

Matt C:
    fritz:
    Matt C:

But this is just a little consolation, isn't it? 

Of course it is, at this stage.
    But if enough people feel that way  -  and articulate their thoughts  -  then the message might eventually get forcibly put across to the philistines who think of model designations with a long heritage and a deeper meaning for true fans as just being another name they can use to justify printing a different sales brochure for effectively the same product. 

--

fritz

Correct about the R fritz, Smiley this should be reserved for something special as the 911R was a brilliant, politically incorrect, vehicle!

d997h:

As I am disappointed as well and especially regard the "Cayman R" as a step backwards concerning styling and considering, what Porsche was able to come up with the Spyder, perhaps, let's simply say, that for somebody in the market looking for a green Cayman with the most sporty set-up you can currently get from a Cayman - well, then, it's THE car...

As someone (with wife....) who was considering a Cayman S, or even waiting for this version to be announced, are we ever happy we went with our slightly used 997S... after 5000 fantastic km in our 911 in October, we have zero interest in this Cayman.   Smiley

--

2010 Audi S5,  2009 Porsche 911S

I have to agree about the inappropriate use of the  "R" designation. One definitely gets the impression that marketing was looking for a historical designation for this model even if it is devoid of historical susbstance.  As others have stated this could be the harbinger of a rather unfortunate trend, which is surprising given that Porsche protects its "brand image" quite zealously.  How can posting an order guide on the internet be more problematic for Porsche than marketing a souffle R? 

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

Porsche could at least run a single series championship based on the Cayman R to give some motorsport credibility. Instead of the Carrera Cup, run the Cayman Cup and use the 911 for Supercup, GT2, VLN etc.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Porsche could at least run a single series championship based on the Cayman R to give some motorsport credibility. Instead of the Carrera Cup, run the Cayman Cup and use the 911 for Supercup, GT2, VLN etc.

If they did, then the race version of the Cayman R would need to be quite different to the one now being introduced as a road version, otherwise it would not really be up to track use.
    And this fact is basically the root of this discussion. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    reginos:

If they did, then the race version of the Cayman R would need to be quite different to the one now being introduced as a road version, otherwise it would not really be up to track use.

I envisage the Cayman R as a GT3 Cayman and the Cayman Cup version as the equivalent of the GT3 Cup.I'm sure engineers could do that in a weekend, exaggerating a bit. I just don't understand the fear of Porsche management in fully developing other sports models besides 911. IMO it's totally wrong. A credible Cayman will not affect 911 sales but it will bring customers from rival brands. How can PAG be so stubborn and narrow-minded?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    fritz:
    reginos:

I envisage the Cayman R as a GT3 Cayman and the Cayman Cup version as the equivalent of the GT3 Cup.I'm sure engineers could do that in a weekend, exaggerating a bit. I just don't understand the fear of Porsche management in fully developing other sports models besides 911. IMO it's totally wrong. A credible Cayman will not affect 911 sales but it will bring customers from rival brands. How can PAG be so stubborn and narrow-minded?

I don't want to get tied up in semantics  -  and suspect that you will agree with my view anyway  -  but I do think that the Cayman is already supremely credible as a road car

I just object to the use of the "R" suffix for a "road" version of a car when its use by Porsche in the past was reserved for models much more closely related to "race" versions. 

The fact that it has now already been (mis)used can only mean that there is nothing more to come in terms of a "real" Cayman R.

--

fritz

DaveGordon:

...essentially a lighter, stiffer, slightly more powerful Spyder

With 1295kg DIN it is actually 20kg heavier than the Spyder (1275kg DIN) Smiley 

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver with 'Martini Racing' design. H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

fritz:
    reginos:
    fritz:
    reginos:

I don't want to get tied up in semantics  -  and suspect that you will agree with my view anyway  -  but I do think that the Cayman is already supremely credible as a road car

I just object to the use of the "R" suffix for a "road" version of a car when its use by Porsche in the past was reserved for models much more closely related to "race" versions. 

The fact that it has now already been (mis)used can only mean that there is nothing more to come in terms of a "real" Cayman R.

I am furious by the use of R for the Cayman.  It is utterly unacceptible!  If the 4.0L GT3 RS is called GT3R, then fine.  But this Cayman does not have the race components required to justify the R suffix!  Come on Porsche, what the hell are you thinking?  What next, a Carrera Cup edition 911 based on the C2S?  Oh wait, that has already been done too. 

As a funny side note: a customer of mine, we talked about the Cayman R on Monday, went to his local Porsche dealer to check out on this car (delivery time, rebate, lease offers, etc.).

Just half an hour ago he left my office and told me that he is going for something else. He was very surprised to learn that the Cayman R lacks the A/C but costs more than the regular Cayman. He is even thinking of getting a slightly used Cayman S for over 20000 EUR less.

I'm still missing a Carrera RS from Porsche and I honestly hoped that we might see one but my hope has actually vanished over the past few months.

Just imagine: a Carrera RS with 1250 kg weight, 408 HP, LSD, 20 mm sport chassis for less money. They can even leave away the PCM, A/C and other comfort goodies.

Remember the 911 RS America ? Something similar.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Cayman R is 11% more expensive than Cayman S; yet only has 10 hp more.

It is 55 kg lighter without A/C, CD and necessary speakers. So when you put them back + spec GT2 bucket seats for a regular Cayman S, you'll get almost the same weight.

So what is special about this car? Color? fuzzy rear spoiler? the "R" badge?

911 Carrera GTS is the best package Porsche ever offered in the past few years (also Turbo S)

This Cayman R is only a joke from Porsche. You don't even get an LSD

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:
    This Cayman R is only a joke from Porsche. You don't even get an LSD

LSD (along with sport chrono ans sport suspension) is standard equipment but I agree that the R is not a good package.

--

"Form follows function"

Even better, get a Boxster S...

C'mon - it is certainly not the biggest deal you may get (and I am disappointed too in a way - ie., no clubsport package), but for someone in the market for a Cayman with a desire to have an aerokit, bucket seats, sportiest suspension (you can currently get) and the Spyder wheels, it is not that bad...ok, my 2 cts only...

+1

If you want the options fitted then its not bad value.  It is almost certainly going to be great to drive.  But it is a pathetic effort on the part of Porsche when they could have created something spectacular.  Then they shot themselves in the foot by using such a hallowed name on such  mild upgrade.

Scanning comments on other websites, the reaction has been lukewarm to say the least.  Yet the 997 GTS uses the same recipe and really seems to have struck a chord

d997h:

C'mon - it is certainly not the biggest deal you may get (and I am disappointed too in a way - ie., no clubsport package), but for someone in the market for a Cayman with a desire to have an aerokit, bucket seats, sportiest suspension (you can currently get) and the Spyder wheels, it is not that bad...ok, my 2 cts only...

It could be a Cayman S "Sport Package". That would have been fine.

But to announce it as a special and lightweight model AND with the historical "R" denomination  is too much IMO.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803489 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448631 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266216 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90115 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6662 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885874 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833495 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM