reginos:
fritz:
reginos:

Porsche could at least run a single series championship based on the Cayman R to give some motorsport credibility. Instead of the Carrera Cup, run the Cayman Cup and use the 911 for Supercup, GT2, VLN etc.

If they did, then the race version of the Cayman R would need to be quite different to the one now being introduced as a road version, otherwise it would not really be up to track use.
And this fact is basically the root of this discussion. 

I envisage the Cayman R as a GT3 Cayman and the Cayman Cup version as the equivalent of the GT3 Cup.I'm sure engineers could do that in a weekend, exaggerating a bit. I just don't understand the fear of Porsche management in fully developing other sports models besides 911. IMO it's totally wrong. A credible Cayman will not affect 911 sales but it will bring customers from rival brands. How can PAG be so stubborn and narrow-minded?

I don't want to get tied up in semantics  -  and suspect that you will agree with my view anyway  -  but I do think that the Cayman is already supremely credible as a road car

I just object to the use of the "R" suffix for a "road" version of a car when its use by Porsche in the past was reserved for models much more closely related to "race" versions. 

The fact that it has now already been (mis)used can only mean that there is nothing more to come in terms of a "real" Cayman R.

--

fritz