Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Rennteam's tribute to the Ferrari 458...lots of photos, videos, etc.

Rossi:
    Didn't I tell you from the very beginning? Smiley 

You did Stefan Smiley

I visited the Atelier and production line yesterday and had a fantastic time. Two things really struck home for me. Firstly I really now don't like the standard wheel in either silver or RICS finish. It's funny but in photo's it looks better than the optional sports rim as it seems to have better proportions but in real life it's the complete reverse. The spokes of the standard wheel look too wide and "heavy" against the car IMHO whereas the sports wheel looks perfectly suited to the car.

The second surprise was the carbon fibre interior trim. There was a rosso corsa car in the Atelier with sports seats in black leather with black alcantara centres, black alcantara upper cabin and headlining, black alacantara strip running around the central sections of the doors, red stitch, red stripe up the centre of the seats. The dash insert trim, centre console, driving zone and door kick plates wera all in carbon fibre. It looked stunning. The carbon trim options are stupidly expensive but having seen so many cars with just the standard trim on the production line and final despatch area I can honestly say that the carbon fibre completely changes the look of the interior making the car feel far more special.

The majority of cars I saw were Rosso Corsa followed by Nero then Rosso Scuderia, a few in Giallo Modena, three in Bianco Fuji, a few in Bianco Avus, one in Silverstone one in Rosso Fuoco and one in matt black (didn't like this one at all). Interestingly there were no cars in blue of any shade to be seen.

I also visted the V12 production line to see a few additional colours and got a viewing of the new 599 GTO.... what a fantastic car Smiley The interior looks superb with the choice of technical fabric, satin carbon fibre and alcantara. It really transorms the look. I heard a couple running ad the noise is sublime. Anyone buying one of these is in for a real treat IMHO.

ISUK, I saw the atelier too one week ago, and confirm what you said. The red car in atelier was important for me to choose the red calliper with dark grey sport wheels, looks good! 

About the options I choose the standard seat beacause are sportly and more confortable at the same time than the races ones.

Red callipers wuth silver wheels are a crime!! With red ones you have to choose the dark grey sport wheels

ISUK at the end what was your choice? 

berfes:

I guess in the end, Ian adds another 20.000 Euro to his 458 option list (sports wheels and full carbon trim that is)  Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

I'm considering two spec's at the moment -

Option 1

Rosso Corsa with full carbon options (dash, upper and lower driving zones, centre console, door pulls and door sill covers), PEXS, sports seats with red leather centre stripe, dual leather and alcantara interior in nero, alcantara carpet in nero (this looks great, isn't too expensive and takes away the rather cheap looking standard carpet), red stitch, red belts, red thumb grips on steering wheel, sports wheels in special order grigio and rosso callipers (saw both aluminium and black on RC cars and rosso looks far better IMHO, sorry Stefan)., Nav, TPMS, IPOD, and front & rear parking sensors. The cost of the carbon options is just stupid but they make a huge difference to a Rosso Corsa car. The interior looks a million dollars (just as wll considering it costs a small fortune to do!).

Option 2

Giallo Triplo Strato with standard interior trim, PEXS, sports seats, dual leather and alcantara interior in nero, alcantara carpet in nero, white stitch, black belts, sports wheels in special order grigio and nero callipers plus other options (Nav etc) as car above. I'm really tempted to go for the satin black roof option with this car but as I'll only keep it a year I don't know if I'd bother. I saw a Bianco Avus car being built with a gloss black roof and agree with the Atelier advisor that the dual colour works best if the body is metallic and the roof the satin finish. Two standfard gloss colours don't work well beside each other IMHO.

pride355:
    berfes:

I guess in the end, Ian adds another 20.000 Euro to his 458 option list (sports wheels and full carbon trim that is)  Smiley

I think the quoted 20.000 are not enough. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

berfes:

ISUK, I saw the atelier too one week ago, and confirm what you said. The red car in atelier was important for me to choose the red calliper with dark grey sport wheels, looks good! 

About the options I choose the standard seat beacause are sportly and more confortable at the same time than the races ones.

Red callipers wuth silver wheels are a crime!! With red ones you have to choose the dark grey sport wheels

So you chose red callipers then? Haven't you been telling us all the time that silver callipers are the way to go? Smiley

--

ISUK:

... saw both aluminium and black on RC cars and rosso looks far better IMHO, sorry Stefan ...

No problem, Iain, I would never order red callipers with a red car, that just doesn't do it for me. But then I would also go with the standard wheel any time. Smiley

--

Rossi:

I think the quoted 20.000 are not enough. Smiley

Yep, I wish full carbon was "only" 20.000 Euros Smiley Smiley

Pictures really don't do this option justice though. Trouble is once you start fitting carbon you either have to do it all IMHO or none at all. Trying to mix some carbon and allumium trim items to save cost doesn't work very well.

ISUK:
    Pictures really don't do this option justice though. Trouble is once you start fitting carbon you either have to do it all IMHO or none at all. Trying to mix some carbon and allumium trim items to save cost doesn't work very well.

That's the main point, either CF all the way or none at all. That's also the problem of the LED steering wheel, which comes in CF only. Smiley

--

I asked if the LED top could be put onto a standard aluminium steering wheel Stefan. They haven't done one as yet but the Atelier guy said it was possible. I hope to have a price later today Smiley

I think the LED section would still be CF but as it's such a small piece I think it would look ok.

Yes Rossi, I repeat: I chose in the end red callipers with dark grey wheels after having seen the 458 in the atelier!!  Looks very good!!!

Forgot to say that I saw a Grigio Medio car driving around the factory. It looked

Great options you are considering ISUK, i think the carbon look would look amazing in any of the cars either the yellow one or the red one. That said i do believe that the yellow car with carbon interior will be more special in time as more red cars start coming out of the factory. Every time i see a yellow 430 in the streets it pops out a lot more that when i spot a red one, it would also give your stable more variety since you already have a red Scud. Thanks for clearing up the looks of the optional wheels in real life, the standard ones look great in some pics and not so good in others, now we know for sure 

ISUK:
    Rossi:
    Didn't I tell you from the very beginning? Smiley 

You did Stefan Smiley

I visited the Atelier and production line yesterday and had a fantastic time. Two things really struck home for me. Firstly I really now don't like the standard wheel in either silver or RICS finish. It's funny but in photo's it looks better than the optional sports rim as it seems to have better proportions but in real life it's the complete reverse. The spokes of the standard wheel look too wide and "heavy" against the car IMHO whereas the sports wheel looks perfectly suited to the car.

The second surprise was the carbon fibre interior trim. There was a rosso corsa car in the Atelier with sports seats in black leather with black alcantara centres, black alcantara upper cabin and headlining, black alacantara strip running around the central sections of the doors, red stitch, red stripe up the centre of the seats. The dash insert trim, centre console, driving zone and door kick plates wera all in carbon fibre. It looked stunning. The carbon trim options are stupidly expensive but having seen so many cars with just the standard trim on the production line and final despatch area I can honestly say that the carbon fibre completely changes the look of the interior making the car feel far more special.

The majority of cars I saw were Rosso Corsa followed by Nero then Rosso Scuderia, a few in Giallo Modena, three in Bianco Fuji, a few in Bianco Avus, one in Silverstone one in Rosso Fuoco and one in matt black (didn't like this one at all). Interestingly there were no cars in blue of any shade to be seen.

I also visted the V12 production line to see a few additional colours and got a viewing of the new 599 GTO.... what a fantastic car Smiley The interior looks superb with the choice of technical fabric, satin carbon fibre and alcantara. It really transorms the look. I heard a couple running ad the noise is sublime. Anyone buying one of these is in for a real treat IMHO.

that was exactly what i felt. I said it before, the standard wheels looks really bad in the flesh. the sport wheels are not that amazing but they look much better!

Enmanuel, I think the wheel choice is just like the colour choice: highly personal. Smiley

I've seen the optional wheels in silver, dark/polished and the standard rims in dark chrome optics (RICS). Out of these three for me the RICS looks best.  My order would be the following:

1. standard wheels dark chrome
    2. sport wheels special order grigio
    3. sport wheels silver
    4. standard wheels silver
    5. sport wheels dark/polished

--

koko:

that was exactly what i felt. I said it before, the standard wheels looks really bad in the flesh. the sport wheels are not that amazing but they look much better!

I've seen all the wheels before koko - at the official factory launch last year and at Geneva at the start of this month. Up until my latest factory trip I was still going to opt for the standard wheels in RICS finish but after you see lots of cars at the factory it may/can change your mind about which wheel looks best. There were no cars with the grey painted sports wheels unfortunately. I was told there was an issue with the finish from the supplier which was delaying deliveries.

Rossi:

Enmanuel, I think the wheel choice is just like the colour choice: highly personal. Smiley

I've seen the optional wheels in silver, dark/polished and the standard rims in dark chrome optics (RICS). Out of these three for me the RICS looks best.  My order would be the following:

3. sport wheels silver

--

Actually, I will narrow your list even more:

-standard wheels with RICS

or

-optional sport wheels in normal finish

Recently, I start to get tired of titanium/dark grey/black wheels. They lack class IMHO and look to boy racer like.

Specially they(Grigio Opaco or Nero wheels) look strange on 458 since rear wheels on it are not too wide(10.5" with also strange offset) and rear tires are with too high sidewalls(295/35-20)...

The high rear sidewalls are precisely what make the standard wheels look clumsy kreso. The spokes look too heavy in relation to the pared back look of the rest of the car. This isn't so pronounced with the sports wheels and further hidden by the grigio finish. It's good that we all have a choice though

Rossi:

3. sport wheels silver

--

Thats true the wheel option is very personal but it helps to have a real life impression of how it works with the car, pictures rarely convey the real life emotion. I pay close attention to all your comments cause i still haven't seen the car in the metal and would like to know what design elements to look out for. Smiley

In the real the sport race wheels in dark grey are the best choice you can do!! In the atelier also told me that the 458 was born to have dark/grey wheels...!!  

Gentlemen, the last thing you want in ordering options is for the car to look tricked out. I have always felt simplicity is the cornerstone of elegance. Color wheels and carbon fiber galore tend to detract rather than enhance the look of the car.

Generally speaking, if a car lack styling you beef it up with many of the options I am reading about in this thread. The 458 speaks for itself and does not need makeup. 

--

Are there any plans by euro mags on testing this car this summer or late 2010 ?

0 - 100 - 200 - 300.... ? HH ? NBR ? etc.....

--

http://i28.tinypic.com/166k5zo.png

nberry:

Gentlemen, the last thing you want in ordering options is for the car to look tricked out. I have always felt simplicity is the cornerstone of elegance. Color wheels and carbon fiber galore tend to detract rather than enhance the look of the car.

Generally speaking, if a car lack styling you beef it up with many of the options I am reading about in this thread. The 458 speaks for itself and does not need makeup. 

--

Very true Nick, keep it simple. Smiley

--

Nick,

You may change your mind once you see a few cars in person. I saw lots of cars at the factory and the basic interior looks very unappealing IMHO and not worthy of a car of this price. I saw the standard seat option, daytona option, diamond stitch option and race seat option. For me there is no question that the race seats suit the character of the car perfectly.

Prior to my Atelier visit I'd have tended to agree on the carbon fibre trim being unecessary but having now seen a car with full CF options it looks fantastic - far, far better than pictures convey and worthy of serious consideration. Like Stefan I agree that a mix of CF and aluminium doesn't look great so it's best to go fully one way or the other. The full CF package is very costly but looks fantastic especially on a black interior with red stitch. It really needs option DAAL to set it off though (leather and alcantara mix). If going for this option I'd recommend that the interior door handles and door sill kick plates are special ordered in carbon fibre as well.

I received some welcome news on the LEDS option this morning. It is possible to special order the standard aluminium steering wheel with the upper section LEDs. I believe these will still be inlaid in the small carbon fibre section but think that will look good. It looks like this is going to cost around 1.550 euros (excl tax) versus 2.685 euros for the carbon fibre option. I'm the first person to request this apparently.

Another point worth making is that the grey painted sports wheels option blends in better with the PEXS option which is finished in Grigio Ghisa on most exterior colours. The regular silver finish on the wheels gives you three exterior colours making the car looked more "tricked out" to use Nick's expression.

You mean something like this?

Despite my love for Grigio Ferrari's this one looks too much f/n/f like...

I was thinking more on contrasting colours kreso like Rosso Corsa or Giallo Modena/Triplo Strato. On grey paint finishes the PEXS option is less noticeable.

So, like 458 that you saw in Atelier?

It will look good.

BTW, On all Grigios and Giallos PEXS is in Nero.

ISUK:

Nick,

You may change your mind once you see a few cars in person. I saw lots of cars at the factory and the basic interior looks very unappealing IMHO and not worthy of a car of this price. I saw the standard seat option, daytona option, diamond stitch option and race seat option. For me there is no question that the race seats suit the character of the car perfectly.

Prior to my Atelier visit I'd have tended to agree on the carbon fibre trim being unecessary but having now seen a car with full CF options it looks fantastic - far, far better than pictures convey and worthy of serious consideration. Like Stefan I agree that a mix of CF and aluminium doesn't look great so it's best to go fully one way or the other. The full CF package is very costly but looks fantastic especially on a black interior with red stitch. It really needs option DAAL to set it off though (leather and alcantara mix). If going for this option I'd recommend that the interior door handles and door sill kick plates are special ordered in carbon fibre as well.

I received some welcome news on the LEDS option this morning. It is possible to special order the standard aluminium steering wheel with the upper section LEDs. I believe these will still be inlaid in the small carbon fibre section but think that will look good. It looks like this is going to cost around 1.550 euros (excl tax) versus 2.685 euros for the carbon fibre option. I'm the first person to request this apparently.

Hows the Daytona seats look like?? i never saw pics of them till now Smiley

Lain, I am surprised to hear that the basic interior package is not worthy of the price of the car. In the past the only upgrades I have ordered on my Ferrari's were upgraded seats and some minor leather trimmings. I did splurge with my last one getting the entire engine compartment in CB as well as the door sills. I am not sure these upgrades did anything more to approve the appearance of the car.

That said, I must defer to your judgment since you have seen several 458s and I none. I wrote the post as a cautionary note. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802496 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448327 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265884 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89891 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6368 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885267 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831796 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM