Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: You've talked me out of it

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Also, spend time on ANY German car board and it's populated with threads of problems as that's where you look for help. Few post about nice drives with pics - these days they'll get flamed as a " pollyanna ".

Hey, my '02 Turbo has been flat bedded 4 times, but I'm getting the second 997 Turbo at my dealer !

What were the cause for your problems? The 996 Turbo seems to be the most reliable Porsche ever made.
    Look at Pierre Turbo, with more than 200.000Km with lots of track time on the engine/chassi is still running strong on the same clucth and with very minor problems

Quote:
    anotheruser said:
    ...3) Opinions
    Maybe it is just me, but it seems that most of the subjects and posts on these forums are from people who are (much) less than thrilled with their cars. Few posts rave about the driving experience. The car magazines make the 911 car of the year over and over again, but the competition is usually some American sedan or an S2000 costing far less. The only people who seem really passionate about their Porsches are people driving older models, or who have always owned the things, or who own a stable of high end cars. Where are the comments from guys like me? People who've owned a number of different cars looking for a better driving experience and able to pay for it?

I guess you had not read any of my threads. This car was my dream car and I have had it for 5 months now. It has exceed all my expectations. Even today, five months afterwards, I can not wait to go home to drive it. I look forward to weekends because my wife and I go on these long trips with it. Its been pure pleasure to drive it and the joy of driving it has not diminished at all.

The maintenance, it is German, what I can say. But the dealer I bought mine from said that as long as I maintain the car properly, they will take car of any RMS issue in or out of warranty. And as so can see from my signature, I keep my Porsches a long time. So I am not worried. And my car has been trouble free so far. And I too was concerned about the cost of maintaining it especially since I have three kids in college right now.

I cannot think of any car which makes driving more pleasurable than my 997.

Dude, you are way off base...Most of your reasons are wrong and I am glad to see you are not getting one, just one more person we dont have to hear bitch and moan about a problem here or there.

I know plenty of people with problems on the Japanese cars as well.

I can see you have a lot of posts here and are a regular contributer as well.

Goodbye!

Ben,

My Escalade of 2 years has had the front differential replaced and the steering column as well. The interior is cheap and plasticy too!

It rides like a dream and the engine has been reliable so far but Caddy products are still heavy bulky crap just like most things made today!

Quote:
    rss996 said:
    Ben,

My Escalade of 2 years has had the front differential replaced and the steering column as well.

at least they replaced them and corrected the problem. heck those items may be the reason for our cayenne's vibration in the steering wheel the dealer says is "normal". does your escalade go through a qt+ of oil/month? a full set of 4 tires every 6 months? does your escalade get 11 mpg no matter how or where you drive it? when you floor it, does it go or does it wait at least a full second like our cayenne? curb weight on an AWD escalade is 5571 lbs vs. 5200 lbs for the CT (gross weight diff is barely over 200 lbs). does that extra 371 lbs on a 5k+ truck really qualify it as bulkier?

So, go get yourself a POS jap car and stay out of the fast lane.
    My 996 is clearly the best car I've ever owned!! Very reliable, and fast as sh#t. I would never let an internet chat forum make a decision for me, damn.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    My 997 Turbo will be my 6th 911 since 1987. There is a certain metaphysical " zone " I get into when I'm zipping along a winding road , with that humming " sewing machine on steriods " sound from over the shoulders.
    My Turbo has so much mid-range TQ and has such a quiet stock exhaust , that I can stay in third gear between 2500-4000 rpm and just twitch the big toe on my right foot an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch to move swiftly and silently ( almost no engine sound with so little throttle opening ) with that shove in the back along these roads . It's almost eerie in a magnetic-lev train sort of way !

MKW, interesting comments re: your 996TT experience.....have both 996TTS and 997S, and IMO these are the 2 best all-in-one commuter/mtn twisties cars on the planet . That being said, my only 2 gripes w/996TTS are turbo lag in mid-range (esp for those accustomed to SL55's no-lag grunt...though once turbos kick-in, 996TTS seems to launch like an even faster missle than 55) and lack of a charismatic exhaust note.....very notable deficiencies vs SL55 and DB9 for the sound addicts amongst us....hopefully, P remedies these issues on 997TTS (and avoids incorporating 997S' nonlinear steering ratio)...

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    Damian said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

RMS is an issue since the 97 986 and 98 996! 03 cayenne vibraton and hesitation problems are still present in 05s. i'm well aware of the "1st year" excuse german manufacturers have gotten away with for years, but they seem to be stretching that 1st year out into many years these days. german cars are becomming the american ones of old (and resales are plummeting accordingly) while the american cars are overtaking the german ones. i guess that's good for us with the dollar taking such a dump vs. the euro.

Ben, you remain the King of Negativity. Precisely which American makes and models does 'American Cars taking over the German ones' refer? I can think of one potential contender--the C6 Z06 Corvette...bravo GM on that. Which others?

Assuming five years and 75k miles, here are the top 10 from Edmunds with the percentage of retained value:

BMW Z8 54 percent
    Mercedes Benz C class 54 percent
    Mini Cooper 53 percent
    Porsche 911 53 percent
    Porsche Boxster 53 percent
    Lexus SC430 52 percent
    Acura TL 52 percent
    Honda s2000 52 percent
    Dodge Viper 52 percent
    Lexus GS300 52 percent

For lack of better comparison, a 2000 Corvette sold as new for around $45K with some options, and with 75K miles on the clock would now sell for low $20's...even RMS bedeviled 996 does better.

Strictly anecdotal this, but 3 friends have sold their '99-'02 996's within the last 6 months on the private market.
    Their original MSRP's ranged from $60K to $75K,
    sale price here in late 2004/early 2005 ranged from $39K to $57.5K. I maintain that the above Edmunds stats understate true resale if anything.

My only point is, if you want to slam Porsche for resale values, please provide some actual data supporting your assertion.

Hope you're having fun with that GT. Put me on the list for a hellride.

i've seen several surveys of late showing american car makers to be rising above german ones in quality (everytime i read one i'm even more surprised they've risen from the rubble of their reputations while germans are going into the crapper from such a lofty perch). since i don't care about status, i'd be thrilled to get what i want from american cars for a change. my wife isn't thrilled about the idea and i can't help but thinking maybe i'm turning into an old fart, but some of the latest caddie products are looking very interesting. the crap arse quality of our cayenne could very well put us in a caddie 4 door down the road instead of porsche's future 4 door offering. the caddie couldn't be any worse.

i wasn't suggesting that american car makers resales were getting BETTER just that german ones are getting worse likely owing to their lack of quality of late. fwiw, 98 (and older) 993s are selling for more than (99 if not 00 even) 996s with similar mileage! wow! incidentally, there hasn't been a 996 911 delivered to america ever with a $60k MSRP (base strippers started closer to $70k - 04 stripper with ZERO options will run you over $70k w/destination charge). as well, porsche benefits mightily in these studies because of the rape charges for options which aren't added to the stripper base used for these reports. as well, edmunds used car pricing is a joke (HIGH).

i'd love to take you for a scare anytime in the "hellride".

I'm a big fan of statistically sound surveys/data rather than anecdotal info....but I'd be very skeptical re: any surveys of car buyers...stop and think about who that can afford a $100K+ car wants to spend (the opportunity cost of) his time filling out a dubious survey from some inane marketing organization...whether one is satisfied w/car or not.....

Unfortunately, much of the more useful reliability data on cars may ultimately be anecdotal from guys who are sophisticated, serial buyers of new, high-end cars....though the car cos. clearly have the very closely-guarded data on their actual warranty repair costs, perhaps the truest measure of reliability (and making these owner surveys an insulting farce).....

For all the bitching about modern German cars, I recall a few savvy guys who got new, '98ish Lexus GS400's (when those were favored by some of the engineering-types in SF/Seattle)...and the complaints about electrical gremlins and fuel line failures were fairly similar to some of the modern-day Merc/BMW/P complaints....don't know if these allegedly all-knowing surveys ever picked up those experiences.....

And IMO dealer service is very much case-specific....I know Lexus owners who view their dealers as fairly unremarkable to useless and (self included) know guys w/fairly positive experiences at their P/F/Merc dealers....like most country clubs/co-op boards/hot restaurants/nightclubs, have to figure out which dealer wants to run a competitive business (remember that car dealers are often some of the wealthier dudes in smaller cities and essentially print money w/limited competition in many mkts...so cust svc is sometimes not a priority)...and direct purchasing power and referrals (i.e., dollars in right direction) and stuff seems to work out just fine.....aaah, good ole capitalism.....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    My 997 Turbo will be my 6th 911 since 1987. There is a certain metaphysical " zone " I get into when I'm zipping along a winding road , with that humming " sewing machine on steriods " sound from over the shoulders.
    My Turbo has so much mid-range TQ and has such a quiet stock exhaust , that I can stay in third gear between 2500-4000 rpm and just twitch the big toe on my right foot an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch to move swiftly and silently ( almost no engine sound with so little throttle opening ) with that shove in the back along these roads . It's almost eerie in a magnetic-lev train sort of way !

MKW, interesting comments re: your 996TT experience.....have both 996TTS and 997S, and IMO these are the 2 best all-in-one commuter/mtn twisties cars on the planet . That being said, my only 2 gripes w/996TTS are turbo lag in mid-range (esp for those accustomed to SL55's no-lag grunt...though once turbos kick-in, 996TTS seems to launch like an even faster missle than 55) and lack of a charismatic exhaust note.....very notable deficiencies vs SL55 and DB9 for the sound addicts amongst us....hopefully, P remedies these issues on 997TTS (and avoids incorporating 997S' nonlinear steering ratio)...

My car is chipped and the throttle response with an extra 0.3 bar of boost with the smaller K16 turbos is immediate in the driving conditions I related. Turbo " S" has laggier bigger K24 turbos. Never have been interested in putting on a Europipe-type exhaust on this car. A turbo 911 engine is not a very good sounding motor to begin with ( the turbos muffle all the music ) and making it louder is not really pleasant to my ears, and I've listened to about 6 sport exhausts. If I wanted point A to point B "sturm and drang", I would have an 8200 rpm redlined GT3 with Europipe exhaust . The Turbo has a certain "harmony" about it that I accept and relish.

Leong
    I'm beginning to think you work for the New Zealand tourist board
    Who needs 'Lord of the Rings' when you've got a car and countryside like that!!

Leong: how do you manage with all that TRAFFIC!?!?!

My last 2 cars have been German (BMW and Audi) and have had no issues whatsoever with reliability. I now own a 997 (800 Miles in 3 weeks) and I think it is fantastic, everytime I put my foot down I can't help but smile at the power the car has. That in my opinion is priceless! I can't help it but I just love the driving experiance, it is great value for money.

Leong very nice pic with this 997!!! Congrads

Guys you really are amazing!!One comment from a "stranger" and you all jump to prove Porsche is the Best!!!!

Where are all negative comments gone?
    It seems that with some fire you all go united to defend Porsche!!
    Well that's not bad ,but i m afraid that our friend "anotherstranger"just threw on post and left us;)
    I dont see any replys from his part,but anything said in this post seems right to me,you all said correct arguments.
    Well in forums MOST of the time we seek help from others in matters of DECISSIONS of PROBLEMS or DILEMMAS,so its absolutely natural to govern these forum with dilemmas problems and some negative issues.\
    I mean i would never post to say "oh God!! i m really happy with the stock 997 wheels,are you happy too? please tell me that you are happy!!!!)
    We are always going to post about help for our decissions and problems that come to our heads.

So its a matter of perception,for someone to conceive this forum's attitude and judge by this for the matter of his potential 997 asquisition.

I m sure many people decide not to buy a 911, after all its shape is not new is renewed. Dont judge with our eyes that now details ,the average car owner(not Porsche) that is not addicted to Porsche cannot understand differences even between 993,996,997!!!

So ti his eyes its just an impoved car.

Bottom line, it needs some Porsche passion to buy one.otherwise you can always buy a Mercedes SL in the same money.

But Porsche is just Porsche!

Quote:
    C4S Surgeon said:
    So, go get yourself a POS jap car and stay out of the fast lane.
    My 996 is clearly the best car I've ever owned!! Very reliable, and fast as sh#t. I would never let an internet chat forum make a decision for me, damn.

LOL! I love it. Great comment. Porsche should drop their romance and emotion angle of their advertisements and include stuff like this!

Quote:
    anotheruser said:
    I want to assure anyone reading my original post that I respect your car choices and am envious of every Porsche owner. They are great cars, IMHO. But for the reasons I listed perhaps not the car for me. I say perhaps because I really appreciate all of your comments and you've given me some things to think about.

In response to a couple of specific questions:

Yes, I did test drive the car and loved it. That's why I put down the non-refundable deposit on the car when I ordered in January.

If the car were $30K then yes I would buy it. Most of the alternatives I've looked at are things like a used Esprit which falls in that price range. Sure it's unreliable but I know that so will only treat it as a toy. Does that mean I can't afford it? It means I can't justify it in my own mind.

I don't know of a better balance of performance, value, etc. than the Porsche, which is I why I plunked my money down in January. I'm now wondering if there is a better balance, though.

To those who flamed me, no offense was intended.

All that said, I do wish you all well and do hope you enjoy your cars. If I owned one I'm sure I would.

Ouch. Non refundable deposit??? Dude, unless your purchasing a Carerra GT or a F-car...run away from dealers charging non-refundable deposits. I'm sure this is making your dilemma even worse...

FWIW, my 997S has been flawless and is truly the most unique driving experience I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing...

Good luck finding a sportscar that speaks to you and that you feel comfortable with.

I haven't left. I've been reading all the responses with great interest.

I never expected to see a forum full of "Gee this is fun", but in reading these forums over the past few months I've found that most of the posts deal with "what should I get for my new car", "I'm so excited my car is/has arrived", and "this car had X problem and I'm unhappy with the purchase".

I do understand that there is a bias in these forums towards the negative. It just seems that it is "great" before you buy, and "diasspointment" after you buy.

AS for not letting forums make my decision, I haven't. But I do value the opinions of the posters in them.

Quote:
    anotheruser said:
    I haven't left. I've been reading all the responses with great interest.

I never expected to see a forum full of "Gee this is fun", but in reading these forums over the past few months I've found that most of the posts deal with "what should I get for my new car", "I'm so excited my car is/has arrived", and "this car had X problem and I'm unhappy with the purchase".

I do understand that there is a bias in these forums towards the negative. It just seems that it is "great" before you buy, and "diasspointment" after you buy.

AS for not letting forums make my decision, I haven't. But I do value the opinions of the posters in them.

I believe you outlined your reasons for cancelling very well. There are those on this board who would buy a Porsche even if it meant they would have to go on welfare.

Despite what many would say, Porsche resale values in the US are abysmal. Buy a 997, drive it out of the showroom and you have lost $10,000 and will NEVER get it back. Le Chef is right. Wait and see what happens with the 997 market. In another year they can be had for substantially less. Additionally, the 2006 997 will be out and Porsche will tout it has the best thing since sliced bread.

Recall what they said about the 996 when it was first introduced; evolutionary a car with 50 years of sport car heritage etc.. Later Porsche acknowledged the 996 was only a transitional vehicle and deviated from the true spirit of the 911.The 997 is the true 911. WTF?????

What car can the average person buy and not lose money the minute they drive off the lot?

Thats a great argument against Porsche, I should have thought of that one!

Quote:
    Later Porsche acknowledged the 996 was only a transitional vehicle and deviated from the true spirit of the 911.The 997 is the true 911. WTF?????

When and where did Porsche say that Nick?
    Do you have a copy of the article please?
    It would indeed be outrageous. I've never heard that before but would be extremely disappointed.

Nick, I knew all this show of appreciation of Porsche and the 997 would really rufle your feathers, how annoying it must be for someone set on an eternal anti-Porsche mission ... so I was wondering when you would step in to throw one of your repetitive unsustantiated campaign slogans

Actually, I'm eagerly waiting to see you go into a posting frenzy when Porsche rolls out mighty 480HP/PDK/PSK 997TT and you read the comparisons to the F430 in the mags should be fun!!

I frequent an array of different forums, as I own 140+ cars of different makes and models. You'll observe the same mix of posts EVERYWHERE you go. You're just letting paranoia get the best of you, or you've got other "forces" tugging you in a different direction (wife, finances, etc...). I don't recall seeing a single poster here where somebody is unhappy with their purchase. Poo poo happens with ANY make of automobile, and when it happens, you can bet your bottom euro that it'll be posted on a forum. I've had my 997S for 3 weeks now, and I'm absolutely on cloud nine. I've got a passenger sunvisor pivot that doesn't want to stay put when you flip the visor down. That's it. Hardly a reason to cry the blues, and go shopping for something more safe and thoroughly boring. You get what you pay for. Pay less, you'll get less. Yes, the 997 is pricey on paper. But there's nothing to compare with it at a lesser price. If you've got some cars in mind, toss them up for discussion. I like EVERYTHING, so I'm not biased and I'm not a screaming-hair-on-fire Porsche fanatic/lunatic.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Porsche acknowledged the 996 was only a transitional vehicle and deviated from the true spirit of the 911.The 997 is the true 911. WTF?????

Nick - you have an F430 coming to replace previous 360. If you have half a brain, you must acknowledge that it's transitional . Like the 348/355 and now 360/430 - each more refined in the second half with more power , tweaked susp and new front/rear caps , but EASY to distinguish by it's silhouette and basic layout inside and out.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I frequent an array of different forums, as I own 140+ cars of different makes and models. You'll observe the same mix of posts EVERYWHERE you go. You're just letting paranoia get the best of you, or you've got other "forces" tugging you in a different direction (wife, finances, etc...). I don't recall seeing a single poster here where somebody is unhappy with their purchase. Poo poo happens with ANY make of automobile, and when it happens, you can bet your bottom euro that it'll be posted on a forum. I've had my 997S for 3 weeks now, and I'm absolutely on cloud nine. I've got a passenger sunvisor pivot that doesn't want to stay put when you flip the visor down. That's it. Hardly a reason to cry the blues, and go shopping for something more safe and thoroughly boring. You get what you pay for. Pay less, you'll get less. Yes, the 997 is pricey on paper. But there's nothing to compare with it at a lesser price. If you've got some cars in mind, toss them up for discussion. I like EVERYTHING, so I'm not biased and I'm not a screaming-hair-on-fire Porsche fanatic/lunatic.

Extremely well said, I agree with you 100%.
    There's always something better out there, but even though the 997 is expensive, you get a lot for your money.
    You should buy a Ferrari anotherstranger, maybe you expect too much from a Porsche?
    The Ferrari will stir your soul more judging from you post.
    And to sum up, I quote 69bossnine,
    "if you have an issue, have a tissue!"
    69bossnine, you have over 140 cars!!! Care to describe?

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Later Porsche acknowledged the 996 was only a transitional vehicle and deviated from the true spirit of the 911.The 997 is the true 911. WTF?????

It would indeed be outrageous. I've never heard that before but would be extremely disappointed.

Francoise, the retired head engineer for the 996 acknowledged that the 996 was cobbled together to deal with cost issue and deviated from the usual hardcore driveability of the 911. He claimed because Porsche got over the financial hump the 997 was more in the spirit of the Porsche 911.

Carlos the 997TT will no doubt be an excellent performer and may even outperform the 430. So what? They will be produced en mass and if I wanted one I could have it by flashing two nickels to any Porsche sales person. However, once I have it what am I going to do with it? It will look like every other Porsche and drop like a rock in value as did the 996 TT.

As far as losing money driving it off the showroom floor, any time someone pays $100,000 or more for a purchase and it loses at least 10% in value once possession changes hands, it speaks volumes regarding the purchase.

Don't buy a car if you don' t want to loose money! ( Unless it's an Enzo) It is very normal that the price drops once a car has been used,or once a new one comes out!!! If you look for investment try shares!
    I do not understand this search for a car that doesn' t loose value!!!! I know some loose more than others, but buying a car like a Porsche is more about pasion, desire, emotions, wibes and pleasure. Caviar is over priced: if you buy some it' s because you like to eat it, not because you made a good deal!
    Now I can understand that one thinks it' s too much money for a car... then they are cheaper ones, that are great. For some it would make no difference from a Porsche, ther's can 'feel' the difference and want the 'real stuff'. It' s like wine: does everyone apreciate an expensive wine? Some can' t drink anything else, some are happy with cheap ones..

Quote:
    69bossnine, you have over 140 cars!!! Care to describe?

My father and I collect american cars, with a focus on low-mileage unrestored examples. 75% of our collection is unrestored. A car with 30,000 original miles would be high-mile in our collection. Many are "in the wrapper", like a '64 Galaxie 500XL 390-4V 4-speed with only 14 miles on it, or a 1968 Torino GT with 8 miles, or a 1963 Chevy Impala SS 409 with 102 miles. And a large number of them are just really low-mile such as a 4,900 mile 1970 Mustang Mach 1, or a 11,000 mile 1967 Buick Riviera, or a 3,800 mile 1968 Lincoln Continental Mark III, or a 14,000 mile 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. Pretty much all wonderful, good old American iron!! A 1911 White Touring is the oldest, and we've got alot of speculative newer cars hanging out, like my 506 h.p. '97 Saleen S351 Speedster, and 1995 and 1993 Cobra R models, 1996 Impala SS, etc...

I've got THREE, count 'em, THREE "imports" LOL!!! (not counting my 997 ) a fully optioned-out 17,000 mile 1993 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo (really a Mitsubishi), a 1990 Chrysler/Maserati TC (A lousy car, but it's only got 6,000 miles, one of 500 Maser-powered built, #498 to be exact. The last three built were the only triple black cars built, our car #498 was built for Henry Carlini, who was the head of Chrysler's Performance group at the time, #499 still belongs to Lee Iacocca, and #500 resides in the Chrysler museum), and a 1979 Porsche 928 5-speed with 6,600 miles.

My favorite is the basis for my username, my 28,000 original mile Raven Black 1969 Mustang Boss 429. Thank God I bought it back in 1997 when the prices were relatively low, as they've gone through the roof lately, with another black '69 like mine selling at auction for $256K three months ago!! American muscle car values are absolutely silly right now.

Think of it this way: Most owners who buy their first Porsche end up buying a second and a third and so on.... I'm taking delivery of my second one and I know this wont be my last Porsche car

If they had that much problems we would not see this kind of loyalty. Well, the driving please also takes a great part on the deciding factor :P

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Carlos the 997TT will no doubt be an excellent performer and may even outperform the 430. So what? They will be produced en mass ,

As opposed to an exclusive limited run of " ONLY " 20,000 like the 360 and probably same for the " RARE " F430 . Just like the 250 GTO.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:

Francoise, the retired head engineer for the 996 acknowledged that the 996 was cobbled together to deal with cost issue and deviated from the usual hardcore driveability of the 911. He claimed because Porsche got over the financial hump the 997 was more in the spirit of the Porsche 911.

Carlos the 997TT will no doubt be an excellent performer and may even outperform the 430. So what? They will be produced en mass and if I wanted one I could have it by flashing two nickels to any Porsche sales person. However, once I have it what am I going to do with it? It will look like every other Porsche and drop like a rock in value as did the 996 TT.

As far as losing money driving it off the showroom floor, any time someone pays $100,000 or more for a purchase and it loses at least 10% in value once possession changes hands, it speaks volumes regarding the purchase.

I think saying that the 996 was "cobbled together" is out of context. So I will attempt to clarify it a bit.

Prior to the 996, the 993 and 964's cars were essentially each built TWICE! Once during assembly and then again AFTER
    assembly, the latter due to QC in an attempt to make everything WORK and FIT right. Cars would literally come off the line and be stripped and rebuilt !

During the 993 cycle Porsche realized that they had to assemble cars differently if they were every going to make any money again! So they called in consultants from Toyota Supply Chain Management Services. Now those fellows did reorganize Porsche fcatory assembly,QC methodology,parts storage and delivery. I do not know how much of an impact they had on the design of the M96 engine design, but it had to be substantial, because the mantra then was "lean engineering"and "lean production."

Porsche managed to not only reduce assemble costs on a very complex car, but also managed to reduce hard parts costs while producing a sports car that met all of its performance targets. Most buyers simple have no clue as to
    what a dry sump is, as most Ferrari buyers probably have no clue as where the Fiorano test track is either. But Porsche did choose to continue the 996 and GT3's with the older, more robust motor for those who do know and care.(and if that really matters at all is pure speculation)

All of this hand wringing about defects here and there being any causus belli to denounce Porsche in total is pretty much forum trash talk and hand wringing. Porsche has never built the "perfect" mechanical example of the 911 and to expect zero flaws and warts is ludicrous.

As for the people who moan like cows that the idea of spending a 100k on a sports car and whining that it better be 100% mechanically perfect, those guys are just spoiled brats with no real knowledge of hi performance engineering, small production automobile manufacturing, and likely have no real appreciation for useing the capabilities of the sports car they lust after anyway. Let them impress valets and parkling lot ogglers with something else.

I have watched a brand new Ferrari start up, catch fire and burn itself into the parking lot, does that mean I would ever say, "Oooohh Ferrari, dont ever get one of those, there no good!!!" No. These are specialty cars,
    not taxis meant for Roumania !!!

So, to all who complain about Porsche, Ferrari and Maserati having dubious build quality, I say go cry a river about it all!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781032 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442594 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263362 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261681 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85821 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5915 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881442 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818957 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM