Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

TPM and Dynamic Cornering Lights

Anyone has had any good inputs on those 2 options? TPM and Dynamic Cornering Lights? Is the TPM worth the money or is it oversensitive. Furthermore, does anyone know anything about this other feature called DCL on the lights?

Re: TPM and Dynamic Cornering Lights

Quote:
    cookie monster said:
    Anyone has had any good inputs on those 2 options? TPM and Dynamic Cornering Lights? Is the TPM worth the money or is it oversensitive. Furthermore, does anyone know anything about this other feature called DCL on the lights?

The light turns with the car when cornering. They seem to look nice, but I don't know that they are worth any additional cost. Nor, do I think that you would miss them.

TPM, you mean TPMS, right?

Tire Pressure Monitoring System is __INDISPENSABLE__. Just get it.

While driving there's no warning otherwise; you basically ruin your tire first (crushing sidewalls on interior) and _then_ you know by feel that you have low air.

Dynamic cornering lights? It's been 50 years since they were invented. Why have they suddenly become a "must have?" More marketing BS? Good for gadget lovers. Got the ca$h: $pend it!

TPMS is a pain if you live in a city like manhattan

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:

Is it because it gives warning too often due to its high sensitivity?

Quote:
    cookie monster said:
    Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:

Is it because it gives warning too often due to its high sensitivity?

TPMS is a good safety feature. A few people have a problem with it because they do not read the manual diligently and do not use the system as intended. Just use the second display level (called something like "TPM info" or something like that (I forget), giving +/- deviation from standard pressure for each wheel) to check and adjust tire pressures. Then forget about it while driving unless you get a warning telling you that one tire has lost pressure.

The "TPM info" reading mentioned above is only available to you when the car is stationary, and compensates for air temperature variations. The actual air pressure readings you can see while the car is in motion are not temperature-corrected, so can vary with driving conditions and this confuses a lot of people.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Isn't TPMS standard equipment on 2009 US spec C2/C2S?

Quote:
    AZ911S said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

US spec yes, but thread was initiated by Cookie Monster, who lives in Hong Kong.

Come to think of it, I guess his full title would be Fortune Cookie Monster?

US spec yes, but thread was initiated by Cookie Monster, who lives in Hong Kong.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion. Just placed my 2009 997S order and didn't want to overlook anything important.

Dynamic cornering lights are useful if depending on where you drive. Here in the US Pacific Northwest, there are lots of highways and roads through forested areas where having the lights illuminate ahead around the bend as the car is turning would be a great safety feature. I'm getting it. These turning light technology are very old.. I remember a few models of sedan in Europe had such lights back in at least the 70's.

Yes, there are some old Citroen models that have it.
    -Joost-

The 1935 Czech Tatra had turning headlights.....

I don't get the turning lights. I'm not saying they are bogus. Just saying they don't do much when you're going fast because you tend to be going straight when going fast!

When they would be useful, you'd be going very slow, like turning into a driveway or stop sign in a neighborhood.

Since the the amount of time spent actually turning is very small, your interval of "danger" is very small too.

How are they a significant improvement in safety? I don't get it.

Will be interesting if I ever get a chance to personally try them out and evaluate, however, the chances of that happening -before purchasing/ordering- are about a million to one.

Gee..., maybe that's the "beauty" of offering them as a typically expensive option. Gonna be very rare for a guy to come back to the dealership at night and test drive the lights for himself. It's easier to "be safe" (haha) and just order them. You know: "Safety is 'priceless' might as well get the [stuupid] things."

Since option really doesn't count towards resale, I think I will skip DCL and TPMS. However, it looks like I am not gonna skimp on the BOSE (which a few suggested for me to skip it). Finally, when going through the spec., my gf found the ventilated/heated seats to be good and it looks like kudos to those and mostly for hers. I really don't see why I would order those on a sports car... it's a bit silly as I am really not buying a SL 500 or something asking for airscarf... paying so much having air blown up my buttocks simply means excessive weight and one more potential electronic gizmo problem... I am thinking hard about skipping the ventilated seats. However, the bluetooth and ipod connections are gonna stay. I wonder if skipping Bose would make that much of a difference anyway since I am getting the PSE which is already music to my ears...

Quote:
    cookie monster said:
    Since option really doesn't count towards resale, I think I will skip DCL and TPMS.

Hey cm: IM_H_O: do NOT skip TPMS!

When I drive, tire pressure is _always_ on my Tach display. I want to know the second that there's a problem with my tires. You can have a very costly repair or an accident with these low profile sidewalls. Again: you have very little time to figure out you've lost pressure before the tire is destroyed and your day is ruined.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I don't get the turning lights. I'm not saying they are bogus. Just saying they don't do much when you're going fast because you tend to be going straight when going fast!

If that were the case - that is, all of my turns at night were at 20 mph or less, then skipping the lights is probably ok. But where you live/drive, the terrain must be drastically different than where I live.

I've got uphill and downhill roads in the foothills of the Cascade mountains here where there are bends in the road that you will be able to see much further into the bend with the cornering lights. The degree of the turn determines what 'fast' is. Its drivable at 45-50mph in a turn during the day, but would I take it at that speed at night if my lights only point straight (and thus off of the road into the trees at the bend)? No way... so being able to see a bit further 'around' the bend, will allow me to be safer and take the bend without letting off the throttle as much.

To each his own.

I personally find the Bose sound system (or any expensive sound system) a waste of money in a car, given all the other sounds one gets from the wind, road , engine, traffic. A factory 2 or 4 speaker system works just fine. I'll spend the $800 savings to color the washer nozzels on the front the color of the exterior.

Definately each to their own as with all options.

In my opionion

Get BOSE - the standard audio is shocking. BOSE is good enough without going to all the hassle of aftermarket ICE which many find daunting and certainly the in the UK market would harm resale where aftermarket ICE can be seen as for the max-power crew only. Seriously if you are adding IPOD then I gather you want to listen to music. You need BOSE - go listen to both in the showroom at a decent volume. I did and BOSE is fine (its not amazing but its good), the integrated standard audio is so dreadful that I was 100% sure I couldnt live with it on a daily basis.

Get PSE - it makes the car sound like it should (and unplug it for that bonus soundtrack)! Without PSE you are missing the audio thrill of the drive, its a crime that it doesnt come as standard to be honest. No Pounds80k sports car should sound as tame as a non-PSE car does. And yes you still need BOSE in addition!

Dont get TPMS - Ive had two punctures in the last month and I just dont see what TPMS would have done to change things. I had TPMS on my last M3 and yes, ok you find out a few hours earlier but so what??? If its a bad puncture it will go down fast enough for you to know about it pretty soon and even slow ones are quite obvious when driving - the handling changes noticebly when you have a soft tyre even before its visible to the eye. I dont even see TPMS as a safety feature - adds nothing to me Im afraid.

DCL - Well Im sure its handy here in the UK where we have lots of corners and we tend to drive at them at high speed! I agreed that in the US (the land of only long staights and X-roads) that DCL would be of less value! /poke MMD - I know I for one go round corners very fast indeed mate!

Heat / Vent Seats - Again both good in my book. This is a luxury sports car and needs such things for both you and the Mrs. Dont scrimp on the luxury items otherwise you risk turning your beloved 911 into something no more interesting to be in than a ford fiesta! Add luxury, make it feel as special to be in as it is to drive!

All IMHO of course so dont flame me. As always there is no right and wrong answers from anybody else other than you. Go to the showroom and demand to see the options in a car and test them, then decide if which ones you want. You cannot find YOUR answers on a forum!

And last but not least - enjoy the specification process, take your time and make sure you build that perfect car for you - its all part of the fun of buying a new 911.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Speak for yourself, MMD. When are you going to get out to a track? Learn how curves work!

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Speak for yourself, MMD. When are you going to get out to a track? Learn how curves work!

Track? Me? I fear I'm getting bored with cars. I'm just on this board because I'm getting _paid_ to post.

BTW, should have specified endurance racing on a track at night would make the lights a good idea.

In my "public roads" world, I can't imagine going _fast_ enough at night to need them. At night it's too easy to get _killed_ or worse: nailed by cops for speeding.

Get it? Other than 20mph stop signs in residential neighborhoods at night, seeing around curves seems like a "speeding" thing or an autobahn issue. I dunno.

BTW, please read my post carefully, there's no annoying pontification. I'm not saying anything other than stuff that would pose questions and get guys to think about and discuss them.

Watch..., in a few years I'll get a TT S _with_ these gadgety headlights!

For me, its important to avoid wildlife, such as deer and other critters that may be running across the road. They are highly non-reflective, and tend to dart out into the roadway at really inopportune times. Being able to spot them a fraction of a second sooner, even when going speed limit in some terrain, can mean the difference between a sudden slowdown, or a sudden slowdown plus front-end damage.

You guys will definitely be surprised. In HKG, the dealership is fairly small and there's no lot. Actually, we don't get to have a test drive at least not for the first batch.

From experience...

If the DCL is anything like the DCL system on my Cayenne it is simply an extra bulb and reflector that points out at the corner and turns on when the steering wheel is turned a certain amount. Nothing swivels thank God - it would be something else to go wrong and more weight to lug around. It's handy when parking or manoeuvring but not much use at speed and I don't think that it will be of any use in preventing deer, antelope, alligator, tiger or any other critter related prangs.

TPS is ok if you are a bit lazy but I don't have it on the 997, and I do have it on the Cayenne Turbo. I don't miss it on the 997. I wouldn't bother speccing it again.

Bose is crap in the 997 noisy cockpit and I won't bother with it next time, and the same goes for the telephone module which is all but useless above 30mph.

For Dynamic Cornering Lights, see this Porsche article, which includes pictures. Its more than just the stationary light that comes on.

http://www.porsche.com/filestore.aspx/de...iletype=default

Quote:

As soon as the Cayenne exceeds 3 km/h (nearly 2 mph), and
    until it reaches 130 km/h (80 mph), motors swivel the headlights
    toward the inside of the curve. The inner dynamic cornering
    headlight turns a maximum of 15 degrees, while the outer
    cornering light turns up to 7.5 degrees. "That way, the steered
    headlight illuminates the entire course of a curve cleanly, including
    the area into which the driver is looking," says Jürgen
    Bortolazzi, director of electronics and bodywork development
    at Porsche's Weissach Development Center. The dynamic cornering
    light operates whenever the headlights are on, even when
    the high beams are used.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    812683 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    452845 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    272940 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91984 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9109 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891292 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    850072 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM