Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

I stated my view earlier on the R8 when it was released years ago - AUDI just failed to give the R8 an image, because the problem of the R8 - IMHO - is not that it has a "bad or good" image from AUDI, but is has "no" image at all...I met a bunch of R8 spyders (audi travel experience or what Audi calls it) on my way to Austria (Salzburgring) at a petrol station on the autobahn and the cars looked stunning... But people in Germany seem to rather put their money on other sport cars than on the R8...

d997h:

I stated my view earlier on the R8 when it was released years ago - AUDI just failed to give the R8 an image, because the problem of the R8 - IMHO - is not that it has a "bad or good" image from AUDI, but is has "no" image at all...I met a bunch of R8 spyders (audi travel experience or what Audi calls it) on my way to Austria (Salzburgring) at a petrol station on the autobahn and the cars looked stunning... But people in Germany seem to rather put their money on other sport cars than on the R8...

Smiley Audi messed up big time, also they forgot to give the car a proper chassis (it is currently a mixed bag, too comfortable for a track car, too sporty for a GT). It feels nimble and direct and go-kart like and whatever but it lacks the razor sharp precision (talking about the chassis, not the steering, the steering is great) of a GT3 chassis for example. Adding the trickiness at the limit adds to the shame. Difficult to explain. Audi also did nothing to promote this car properly, only those stupid driving events which do nothing for potential customers. 

I know, I should be happy because otherwise, the R8 would be (leasing-wise) in a price range I probably wouldn't/couldn't afford but the car is so amazing and fun to drive, the engine and gearbox are one of the best (if not the best) I ever drove in a car (and I drove many) and Audi seems to give a sh.t about it. Smiley This is the car I always wanted from Porsche, as weird as this may sound.

Well, at least you can see less R8 on the road than Huracan in Germany... Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I like the subtlety (comparatively speaking) of the R8.

RC, how did you find the steering, ride and handling of the RWS compared to your V10 Plus?

Just for fun (Sophia Calate on the RWS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm4vE26DrUQ

Audi Technical Development Boss Reportedly Confirms The R8 Will Be Phased Out

In an interview with Car and Driver, Audi‘s technical development boss reportedly confirmed the company isn’t planning to offer a third-generation R8. When asked about the model, Peter Mertens said “It has a long life and it’s doing okay.” He then acknowledged there are no plans to replace the current model once it reaches the end of its lifecycle.

Despite effectively confirming the R8 will be phased out, Mertens said “Never say never.” He also added that performance cars are good for the brand.

Time to buy the last NA R8!

sfo:

RC, how did you find the steering, ride and handling of the RWS compared to your V10 Plus?

The steering of the RWS was slightly firmer vs. my R8, I have the dynamic steering (which for some people may be too sharp, too precise but I love it, you can basically pinpoint it to a centimeter accuracy, amazing).

Handling was similar to my R8, I have Magnetic Ride and drive mostly in Dynamic and Performance DRY mode (actually, I prefer Performance DRY mode but fuel consumption is always 2-3 liters higher in this mode when driving in the same way, which is weird). The RWS doesn't feel more nimble, surprisingly. The weight difference just isn't big enough.

The ride is a bit less comfortable (RWS) but I like it. You can't adjust the dampers by changing driving modes. If I switch to Comfort mode in my R8, it feels like driving a standard A6 sedan. Smiley

So to sum it up: Compared to my R8 V10 Plus, the RWS has a slightly firmer steering feel with a similar but not quite the same razor sharp precision, a slightly firmer ride (chassis/dampers) but handling-wise, it feels almost the same (I'd say). No real massive traction issues, unless you push it hard but my 991.2 Carrera GTS Cab has slightly better traction. Still, the RWS isn't even close to the C63 S for example, you won't miss the AWD, especially if you aren't used to it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

noone1:

Actually, I think this is true. The RWS could keep it's value pretty well (only 999 produced) but the truth is that Audi didn't produce many R8 anyway, so I actually think that the R8 will be a desirable used car in the future, also because maintenance and repair cost are pretty low (compared to other similar brands and models).

Even if Audi continues with the R8 (last word hasn't been spoken yet according to an Audi Sport guy I met), it won't be n/a anymore. The Huracan gets a biturbo V8, so I assume the R8 will get the same engine. Only the Aventador stays n/a...for a while.

My current R8 plans look like this:

Variant 1: I keep my current R8, I get the new Audi Sport wheels for it, maybe even the new sport chassis (still not sure since Magnetic Ride would be deactivated), I continue with the lease after 48 months (already passed 18 months) or I buy the car after the lease and I keep it as long as possible.

Probably the variant which makes most sense, especially from a cost point of view.

Variant 2: I get the R8 V10 Plus Spyder, lease cost would probably be a bit higher, I keep it for 36 months and then I can continue the lease or I buy it after the lease.

Variant 3: I get the R8 V10 Plus facelift (rumored for this year...) with rumored 640-650 hp (I do not believe this rumor, I rather think 630-635 hp because of the Huracan Performante), keep it for 36 months and then continue the lease or buy it. Unfortunately this car will have a particulate filter and will very likely loose the exhaust button, so I'm not sure...

I never considered the RWS because I really love AWD (I can do some crazy stuff in the rain and on snow, I love it and it also has some advantages in the dry)  but I get the appeal, the price and of course, probably, the attraction as a possible collectible in the future. 

--

I am afraid to say that you are / may be one of this group of individuals (which are a minority) wanting to buy / keep the R8, ok,... JP will be the other guy...Smiley... I may be alone with my opinion but one cannot just put in a resale value buying a sportscar, it is about one's individual passion ... I am the owner of a pussy porsche / the discount 911 / one of the greatest sportscars a reasonable budget can buy, so what ? ... so, let's get those R8s, those GTRs, those Caymans, those Carrera Ts...it is all about one's passion...

RC:
    sfo:

The steering of the RWS was slightly firmer vs. my R8, I have the dynamic steering (which for some people may be too sharp, too precise but I love it, you can basically pinpoint it to a centimeter accuracy, amazing).

Handling was similar to my R8, I have Magnetic Ride and drive mostly in Dynamic and Performance DRY mode (actually, I prefer Performance DRY mode but fuel consumption is always 2-3 liters higher in this mode when driving in the same way, which is weird). The RWS doesn't feel more nimble, surprisingly. The weight difference just isn't big enough.

The ride is a bit less comfortable (RWS) but I like it. You can't adjust the dampers by changing driving modes. If I switch to Comfort mode in my R8, it feels like driving a standard A6 sedan. Smiley

So to sum it up: Compared to my R8 V10 Plus, the RWS has a slightly firmer steering feel with a similar but not quite the same razor sharp precision, a slightly firmer ride (chassis/dampers) but handling-wise, it feels almost the same (I'd say). No real massive traction issues, unless you push it hard but my 991.2 Carrera GTS Cab has slightly better traction. Still, the RWS isn't even close to the C63 S for example, you won't miss the AWD, especially if you aren't used to it.

thank you very much.

the firmer steering is a big plus for me, as is the less comfortable ride (making it more raw). I drove a 991.2 GTS Cab PDK and found it a bit digital and aloof, but extremely capable.

RC:
    noone1:

Actually, I think this is true. The RWS could keep it's value pretty well (only 999 produced) but the truth is that Audi didn't produce many R8 anyway, so I actually think that the R8 will be a desirable used car in the future, also because maintenance and repair cost are pretty low (compared to other similar brands and models).

Even if Audi continues with the R8 (last word hasn't been spoken yet according to an Audi Sport guy I met), it won't be n/a anymore. The Huracan gets a biturbo V8, so I assume the R8 will get the same engine. Only the Aventador stays n/a...for a while.

My current R8 plans look like this:

Variant 1: I keep my current R8, I get the new Audi Sport wheels for it, maybe even the new sport chassis (still not sure since Magnetic Ride would be deactivated), I continue with the lease after 48 months (already passed 18 months) or I buy the car after the lease and I keep it as long as possible.

Probably the variant which makes most sense, especially from a cost point of view.

Variant 2: I get the R8 V10 Plus Spyder, lease cost would probably be a bit higher, I keep it for 36 months and then I can continue the lease or I buy it after the lease.

Variant 3: I get the R8 V10 Plus facelift (rumored for this year...) with rumored 640-650 hp (I do not believe this rumor, I rather think 630-635 hp because of the Huracan Performante), keep it for 36 months and then continue the lease or buy it. Unfortunately this car will have a particulate filter and will very likely loose the exhaust button, so I'm not sure...

I never considered the RWS because I really love AWD (I can do some crazy stuff in the rain and on snow, I love it and it also has some advantages in the dry)  but I get the appeal, the price and of course, probably, the attraction as a possible collectible in the future.

One more thing you might have to consider: Will Audi get the facelift right?

The current R8 doesn't have the most exciting design, at least not that typical Italian flamboyant extraordinariness of its competitors from Modena and St. Agatha. But it has some kind of soberness which isn't necessarily a bad thing. With the facelift Audi can improve the design and make it perhaps a little bit less sober, but they also can screw things up.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Of course they can screw things up and to be honest, I love how my R8 looks, not too extreme like the Huracan but still not as boring as an Audi A4, so in my opinion a perfect design for an envious society where too much design can sometimes attract too much unwanted negative attention.

The most important thing for me is...cost and what I get for my money. If the facelift looks good but doesn't necessarily offer any (performance) benefits, I'm not sure I will go for it. Also, I certainly won't go for it if there are no good lease offers. If the facelift is successful on the market (I still doubt it), the lease offers will be bad and I can't do it.

I just don't want to regret not getting the "last" one, meaning the last V10 n/a R8 with the "last" design change. 

Tough decision...unless Audi makes it easy for me. Smiley

--

The issue with the R8 is it looks a lot like the Audi TT. The R8 just doesn't come off looking like a high performance sport car.yes

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

nberry:

The issue with the R8 is it looks a lot like the Audi TT. The R8 just doesn't come off looking like a high performance sport car.yes

Proportions are vastly different between the two.  The primary issue is cost.  Few want to spend over $180,000 for an Audi.   The price increase with the current model over the predecessor is the cause combined with it now longer being the new thing on the block, the McLaren 570 has assumed that role. 

nberry:

It looks much more sporting than any 911. Lol. And that from a 911 lifer.  It must be the legal weed in CA. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/15/audi-r8-no-next-generation/

As expected, with Piech gone from the board, there will be no one protecting Audi and the R8 will be gone after this generation. 

Which, is actually good news. It opens the door for Porsche to have another mid engine car other than the 718.

--

noone1:

Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

been there done that

Whoopsy:

As expected, with Piech gone from the board, there will be no one protecting Audi and the R8 will be gone after this generation. 

Which, is actually good news. It opens the door for Porsche to have another mid engine car other than the 718.

Indeed, the next generation Audi R8 will be replaced by the Porsche 960 model range! Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Whoopsy:

Indeed, the next generation Audi R8 will be replaced by the Porsche 960 model range! Smiley

I truly hope this is the case since the 960 is probably the only car which can bring me back to Porsche. So far, there are mixed signals regarding a 960 but I still hope that common sense prevails.

--

nberry:

Are you serious? You need to see both next to each other, there is no way someone could confuse them.

Actually, I never heard of this comparison, not even from some of my most critical (towards R8) friends.

Maybe time to change your optician? Smiley

0A2152CF-8794-4D13-9375-BA88480850F5.jpeg
    7508F929-1F23-45EF-9148-21B0B7850E10.jpeg
    2BFA1F06-6998-43CC-91EB-C08581C75C89.jpeg
    2D814D3E-6092-405C-BC90-977595633211.jpeg
    563D95DD-23BE-475A-877F-89A1253C8B3D.jpeg

--

I'm with nberry here. I've harbored exactly the same thought since the latest TT was released. In the UK both are quite rare sights on the road.

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

Sales of R8 throw the years...

2007:

2008:

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

2013:

2014:

2015:

2016:

2017:

Total until DEC 2017, 32.276

1audiperformanceparts.jpg

--

AM

ALDO:

1audiperformanceparts.jpg

Even here, this photo is a Performance Parts brochure which intends to show some similarities between both cars (which are ZERO, they do not share a single part...oh well, maybe the Audi rings and the virtual cockpit Smiley), there is a clear difference visible. Smiley 

--

Anyone who confuses the TT with the R8 is, how should we say, retarded. There. No political correctness required in a car discussion. 

Obviously you are trying to get RC’s goat. Funny. 

Leawood911:

Anyone who confuses the TT with the R8 is, how should we say, retarded. There. No political correctness required in a car discussion. 

Obviously you are trying to get RC’s goat. Funny. 

Nah, they are just trying to pull my leg...oh wait, same thing I guess. Smiley

I do not really fall for that because I heard many stupid (and sometimes even harsh) comments regarding my R8 from some of my best buddies but never heard the words "looks like an Audi TT", "is too slow" or "it looks ugly" in the process.

Most comments were referring to the fact that these guys know me as a Porsche guy (many of them have at least a Porsche in their garage as well) and they expected me to switch maybe to Lamborghini or Ferrari or McLaren but not to...Audi. Smiley Everyone is in love with the sound and sometimes even performance (there is an Aventador in our group which can't shake me off in most speed ranges below 270 kph Smiley), most comments are basically saying "it is an Audi" or "it is a Huracan for poor people" (which I guess is a little bit true since I really appreciate the lower cost of the Audi).

--

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great engine wrapped in a conservative suit - I just find the Audi design language a bit bland. I'm sure I'd not mistake a TT for an R8 but there are a number of similarities (as you'd expect).

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

R8 looks as much like a TT as GT3 RS looks like a Boxster Coupe.

bridggar:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great engine wrapped in a conservative suit - I just find the Audi design language a bit bland. I'm sure I'd not mistake a TT for an R8 but there are a number of similarities (as you'd expect).

Of course it is a more conservative suit (vs. the Huracan) but this is what I actually like about the car, even if it isn't as stealth as if I may have hoped it to be.

I do not see any similarities to the TT but I see the same brand design language, which is not surprising of course. It is an Audi after all. If you look at the TT next to a R8, the TT is a VW Beetle, while the R8 is a 911, if you get my point. Whoever saw a R8 live would never ever mistake it for a TT (again). Smiley 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/29/24 9:42 PM
    watt
    785944 1799
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    443716 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263729 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    262578 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86586 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6085 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

882325 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    822863 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM