Forum - Thread

Re: 4Car: Ferrari 430 Scuderia Review

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    It may be faster than the Enzo around the Ferrari track but highly unlikely it would beat it on any other venue.

So, the scud will be "near" enzo territory, yes?

The scud is less than half the price of the original enzo price. You should be complaining then, right?

Your comments about the GT2 being at CGT territory should relate quite nicely here too, don't you think?

The difference is the Enzo sells for about $500,000 over its MSRP. The CGT sells for about $100,000 LESS than its MSRP. Porsche by introducing a car with about the same performance parameters for $250,000 less while the CGT resale values are continuing to decline is treating their best customers rather shabbily.

+1

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    I think people need to keep the Scud in perspective. It may be faster than the Enzo around the Ferrari track but highly unlikely it would beat it on any other venue. Additionally, I suspect the Scud will not break 7.40 at the Ring.

Finally, in my opinion the car is over priced and totally useless for street driving. I frequently drove the 360 Stradale and after awhile behind the wheel, I would have a headache because of its rawness.

Just not my type of car.

You're getting too old Nick. The difference in the CS vs the 430 is not that big at all especially since the 430's exhaust is much louder than the Modena. I never had a problem driving my CS all day and still ready for more. And now find my 430 very similair to my CS.

The differences CS vs 430 in terms of comfort/everyday use are very small, matter of fact you couldn't find 2 cars that are more alike.

It doesn't matter to Nick. The thing that matters to Nick is the Scuderia is better than his precious F430. Therefore he will criticize it, just like he criticizes every other car that's better than his, whether real or perceived, by sports car fans. Just read this forum, the Sports Car forum, the Porsche forums. He does nothing but criticize cars that are better than his "child" (F430), and leaves lessor sports cars alone. BTW, I agree with you, Nick is getting too old (senile, early dementia?).

David

Do me a favor - Don't agree w/ me okay? My comment was made in a funning with Nick way (I hope it sounded that way, anyway), the way friends talk with one another.. Also think your comments in your next message are un-called for , nobody acts like that to others here.

Stradale, I always accept your comments as constructive and friendly even when we disagree.

David get a grip. Disagree with me all you want but keep the discourse above personal attacks.

I'm surprised to read many mixed comments when this car seems to be a Home Run. What more can anyone ask for? Twenty or so more hp, 100 less kg, and basically an F1 transmission. Almost forgot, it can still be driven everyday on public roads - fairly comfortably.

If it does lap Fiorano as fast as an Enzo (not faster, as others have said), isn't that a great achievement?

While the 997Gt3 RS is a great car, IMO Porsche fell well short - same power and sadly, the same weight.

The only thing I don't like about the Scuderia are the stripes. Nothing is perfect!!

As for how it compares to the GT2? If I were in the market for a Gallardo SL/Scud/GT2, the last thing on my mind would be how fast they lap the Ring (or what SA says for that matter! I wouldn't be using it primarily as a track vehicle). IMO, the most important thing at this level is how much you enjoy driving it - period.

I believe that performance wise, in the hands of a really good driver, the GT2 is the best out of this trio (Gallardo SL, Scud and GT2). But personally when I am paying 200K+ on a car I also want exclusivity. Here, I believe 430 Scud has the edge. Then G-SL and then GT2.

PS Also I am not a big fan of turbo's or AWD so for me really it's the only choice. Next year's target: 430 Scud.

Funny, I still didn't got delivery of my 430F1 and I am already #1 on the 430 Scud waiting list ... am I going nuts? Well, we all have only one life they say ...

Quote:
    mp said:
    I'm surprised to read many mixed comments when this car seems to be a Home Run. What more can anyone ask for? Twenty or so more hp, 100 less kg, and basically an F1 transmission. Almost forgot, it can still be driven everyday on public roads - fairly comfortably.

The only thing I don't like about the Scuderia are the stripes. Nothing is perfect!!

Stripes are optional (but unfortunately, F1 tranny is not)

Quote:
    mp said:

If it does lap Fiorano as fast as an Enzo (not faster, as others have said), isn't that a great achievement?

While the 997Gt3 RS is a great car, IMO Porsche fell well short - same power and sadly, the same weight.

As for how it compares to the GT2? If I were in the market for a Gallardo SL/Scud/GT2, the last thing on my mind would be how fast they lap the Ring (or what SA says for that matter! I wouldn't be using it primarily as a track vehicle). IMO, the most important thing at this level is how much you enjoy driving it - period.

If Scud proves similar (vs 430) as 360CS vs 360, would actually argue Scud will be more daily-useable in CA than even 997TT (better ground clearance; bigger fuel tank; Bluetooth; iPod; bigger trunk)....and more actively safe than PSM-less GT3 (though Scud lacks GT3's track-relevant sunroof )....

Scud's biggest limit for daily use on public roads will likely be dubious passive safety...a trait it shares w/599....

Chk out 4car.com's review of GT2....interesting comments re: turbo lag/nonlinearity, muffled exhaust note....and I'm not sure that GT2's PASM/PSM set-up is very advcd (esp w/a Luddite gearbox) for optimal active safety/stability/precision in bumpy mtn twisties....though US-spec GT2s may include a track-oriented sunroof....

BTW, can spec Scud w/o stripe...or w/o gold wheels....advantage of F vs P is F allows much freedom re: bespoke-spec options....

I think you can spec the gold, gun metal, and white as rim color options. As for the stripe, I think it looks ace.

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Quote:
    mp said:

If Scud proves similar (vs 430) as 360CS vs 360, would actually argue Scud will be more daily-useable in CA than even 997TT (better ground clearance; bigger fuel tank; Bluetooth; iPod; bigger trunk)....and more actively safe than PSM-less GT3 (though Scud lacks GT3's track-relevant sunroof )....

Scud's biggest limit for daily use on public roads will likely be dubious passive safety...a trait it shares w/599....

Chk out 4car.com's review of GT2....interesting comments re: turbo lag/nonlinearity, muffled exhaust note....and I'm not sure that GT2's PASM/PSM set-up is very advcd (esp w/a Luddite gearbox) for optimal active safety/stability/precision in bumpy mtn twisties....though US-spec GT2s may include a track-oriented sunroof....

BTW, can spec Scud w/o stripe...or w/o gold wheels....advantage of F vs P is F allows much freedom re: bespoke-spec options....

A few more comments:

1. Forgot to acknowledge Porsche's Home Run with the GT2 - 50+ hp and 145 less kg!! Job well done.
    2. Good news about the stripes being optional.
    3. Wouldn't buy a Scud, with the new F450 due out - which should be something very special.
    4. IMO, as much as I love my Turbo, the overall driving experience/pleasure offered by Ferraris is hard to beat.
    5. Again, IMO, manual transmissions are old news compared to F1 style ones. I even prefer my tiptronic (yeah, I will get hammered for this one). Too bad Porsche is way behind in this department.

mp, IMO, wouldn't ever wait for allegedly phenomenal future new cars....most importantly, one's life is too short and unpredictable....and every mfr has had disappointments (e.g., just passed on rather underwhelming (but long awaited) '08 CL65 after driving it; keeping my much-enjoyed CL63 as both daily commuter and wkend mtn twisties car until allegedly-latest/greatest SL63BS or new CLxx V12 is launched in Spr08)....

Besides, know couple of guys who got new 599 (as a daily commuter car) at mkt price at launch (b/c couldn't wait 6-12mos for their slot@MSRP), and, upon trade-in, they actually incurred less deprec vs guys who daily-drove for 6-12mos new 997TT/65 obtained@MSRP....

BTW, am a huge fan of fast, smart autoboxes (like AMG/P's)....suspect in era of faster/smarter chassis/drivetrain networks, esp w/high-tq cars, such boxes are more the future (within next 2yrs) than even the fastest placeboshifters....errr, paddleshifters....

Agreed- CL63 is THE car for the twisties-especially those curvy drive throughs at Burger Kings.

Best buy on latest phenom car menue likely to be new Benz
    CL-CJ: Carls Jr edition. Has latest drink and frys holder networked to smart autobox/distance control/GPS to not miss apre sweet 16 party Saks shopping fests. Base CL AMG or CJ upgrade ideal first car for teen girls or spydery ageing rockers wives. Seen AMG CL endorsed by Sharon Osbourn on TV - is now THE must have in CA.

Also no doubt latest Scud more practical than 997TT for daily use. AWD not needed in snow/rain. Scuds' GPS/Rain Sensor activates LEDs under hood stripes that alert driver to turn around in case of snow, creditors or Paparazzi. No doubt Scud also soon top choice for personal admins of tier 1 celebrities to make stealth runs to Payless Shoe Store/take boss to rehab/or stop at ATM for bail money.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Agreed- CL63 is THE car for the twisties-especially those curvy drive throughs at Burger Kings.

CL-CJ: Carls Jr edition. Has latest drink and frys holder networked to smart autobox/distance control/GPS to not miss apre sweet 16 party Saks shopping fests. Base CL AMG or CJ upgrade ideal first car for teen girls or spydery ageing rockers wives. Seen AMG CL endorsed by Sharon Osbourn on TV - is now THE must have in CA.

Also no doubt latest Scud more practical than 997TT for daily use. AWD not needed in snow/rain. Scuds' GPS/Rain Sensor activates LEDs under hood stripes that alert driver to turn around in case of snow, creditors or Paparazzi. No doubt Scud also soon top choice for personal admins of tier 1 celebrities to make stealth runs to Payless Shoe Store/take boss to rehab/or stop at ATM for bail money.

ROFL Back on top form...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

ROFL Back on top form...

Finally yet another Rennteamer sees the light

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Now I've heard of identity theft, but this is ridiculous .

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Quote:
    mp said:

"Scud will be more daily-useable in CA than even 997TT"?
    Huh?

Scud will have "better ground clearance" than the Turbo? Huh?

The 997TT has better clearance than my 430 forget the Scud which will be even lower than the 430. Plus using the car everyday has a lot to do w/ how good the seating position/vision is for driving when other people are on the road & in traffic or parking etc. In a Scud you're basically sitting very low to the ground, almost in a hole, it's going to be very similair to the position of my 430 which has racing seats so I'll tell you first hand because I own both a 997 & a 430 the Scud is going to be nowhere near as everyday friendly as a 997 turbo nevermind being more so, it's actually the other way around. Besides the above there's the Scud's suspension (going to be similair to the Stradale I had) which is much stiffer than a 997 turbo, the sound level of both cars, what it's like to get in and out of both cars etc. etc. Bigger fuel tank means nothing, it's the range on each tank that matters which is just another small reason the 997 turbo is more everyday freindly gas mileage, the list goes on. Love the concept of the Scud, I'm even considering buying one but no way is it more "daily-useable" than a Turbo, that's the Turbo's world....... And we haven't even touched on the driving in the wet of a Scud VS. All wheel drive Turbo... The 430 isn't even as "daily-useable" as the Turbo, the Scud will be even more track focused than the 430.

I agree completely with Stradale on this one. I was about to post a very similar answer but he was faster ...

Quote:
    mp said:
    3. Wouldn't buy a Scud, with the new F450 due out - which should be something very special.

This is a very important point!

But it's only valid if you aleady got a F430 (or a 599 GTB if you like). If so, you really have to think if the Scuderia is worth the extra money with the successor on the horizon. If you don't have an F-car, Scuderia will be a great choice, as it gives the most thrilling driving experience of all F-cars at the moment and as it is something special.

Even with the 450 out and a 430 in the garage, Scud is a great choice. Ferrari will simply not have enought time to sell a lot of Scud cars (compared with the total number of 430 cars). And with 450 out, someone who wants to buy a used 430 (because he can't get his hands on a 450) will be more tempted to get the fastest and most exclusive version aka Scud.

That's why I decided to switch my soon to be delivered 430 for a Scuderia, one year from now.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    I think people need to keep the Scud in perspective. It may be faster than the Enzo around the Ferrari track but highly unlikely it would beat it on any other venue. Additionally, I suspect the Scud will not break 7.40 at the Ring.

Finally, in my opinion the car is over priced and totally useless for street driving. I frequently drove the 360 Stradale and after awhile behind the wheel, I would have a headache because of its rawness.

Just not my type of car.

You're getting too old Nick. The difference in the CS vs the 430 is not that big at all especially since the 430's exhaust is much louder than the Modena. I never had a problem driving my CS all day and still ready for more. And now find my 430 very similair to my CS.

The differences CS vs 430 in terms of comfort/everyday use are very small, matter of fact you couldn't find 2 cars that are more alike.

It doesn't matter to Nick. The thing that matters to Nick is the Scuderia is better than his precious F430. Therefore he will criticize it, just like he criticizes every other car that's better than his, whether real or perceived, by sports car fans. Just read this forum, the Sports Car forum, the Porsche forums. He does nothing but criticize cars that are better than his "child" (F430), and leaves lessor sports cars alone. BTW, I agree with you, Nick is getting too old (senile, early dementia?).

David

Do me a favor - Don't agree w/ me okay? My comment was made in a funning with Nick way (I hope it sounded that way, anyway), the way friends talk with one another.. Also think your comments in your next message are un-called for , nobody acts like that to others here.

Who are you to tell me I can't agree with you? Do me a favor, don't respond to my posts.

David

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Stradale, I always accept your comments as constructive and friendly even when we disagree.

David get a grip. Disagree with me all you want but keep the discourse above personal attacks.

Yes it's personal, but it's not an attack if it's true. Judging from the fact that you haven't responded to my retorts to your ridiculous posts, I sincerely think you're lacking in mental facility. Senility, the beginning of dementia, call it what you want, but until you can start backing up your posts that I'm going to continue to challenge, I think I may have a point! So let's you and I engage in a logical dialogue and we'll let the audience decide who is nuts! You can begin with my posts to you on this thread.

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Just not my type of car.

David

Who are you to tell me I can't agree with you? Do me a favor, don't respond to my posts.

David

Do us all a favour and keep away from the F-board.

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    Even with the 450 out and a 430 in the garage, Scud is a great choice. Ferrari will simply not have enought time to sell a lot of Scud cars (compared with the total number of 430 cars). And with 450 out, someone who wants to buy a used 430 (because he can't get his hands on a 450) will be more tempted to get the fastest and most exclusive version aka Scud.

That's why I decided to switch my soon to be delivered 430 for a Scuderia, one year from now.

Exactly what I said, Pentium. You don't have a F430, so switching to the Scuderia is the logical choice.

Rossi, you bad boy! Just kidding!

Rossi maybe I didn't made myself clear: I am going to take delivery of my ordered F430 (to become official customer #1 at my recently opened F dealer) and keep it until the first Scud comes here (one was allocated for the next year's end).
    Being #1 customer will put me in a position to switch cars when the Scud comes(I am already #1 on the Scud waiting list).

But I grant you that this is may be a very special situation generated by the opening of the first official F dealer in my country. I jumped to get one thinking more at the future than the present. Still, personally, I believe that even if I had a 430 for a year or so I would still want the Scud. I intend to keep my Ferraris as weekend cars (because of roads quality around here) so I don't care how extreme are. I am not going to use them as much as I wanted so if the ride is too harsh or they are too loud, I really don't care.

Anyway Rossi, when do you switch to Scud? R Come on ...

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    Rossi, you bad boy! Just kidding!

Rossi maybe I didn't made myself clear: I am going to take delivery of my ordered F430 (to become official customer #1 at my recently opened F dealer) and keep it until the first Scud comes here (one was allocated for the next year's end).
    Being #1 customer will put me in a position to switch cars when the Scud comes(I am already #1 on the Scud waiting list).

But I grant you that this is may be a very special situation generated by the opening of the first official F dealer in my country. I jumped to get one thinking more at the future than the present. Still, personally, I believe that even if I had a 430 for a year or so I would still want the Scud. I intend to keep my Ferraris as weekend cars (because of roads quality around here) so I don't care how extreme are. I am not going to use them as much as I wanted so if the ride is too harsh or they are too loud, I really don't care.

Anyway Rossi, when do you switch to Scud? R Come on ...

Ahhh, I see.

IF I switch to the Scuderia, it won't be before the end of 2008 (just as in your case). I don't think I could get one earlier if I don't want to pay a premium of 50k or so. So delivery would be most likely early 2009. And that's where the problem starts: I still expect the F430-successor to be presented in Geneva 2009, so between a hypothetical Scuderia and an early F430-successor (which I should get) there would only be a couple of months. So this is my dilemma, what to do?
    As I said earlier, I expect the F430 to become a quantum leap in the V8-range, which will lead to similar prices as for the Scuderia BTW. So what do I want? A fantastic racecar for the road, which is basically twenty years old or a totally new design with the newest high tech Ferrari offers (and which should include the benefits of the Scuderia like F1 Superfast and - I hope - weight reduction). I tend to prefer the latter.

Rossi, first of all, everything I talked about took as granted the idea that I am not paying any premium price. No matter what I order or buy I should be now in a position to do it at the normal price. Nothing extra. That's something I am not willing to do, same as you.

Now on F450: I had the same dilemma but as I said before I believe people will be more interested in buying a used Scud than a used 430 when 450 will appear. The Scud will be closer to 450 in performance than the standard 430. And in the end less of them will be made therefore more exclusive.
    And Rossi, if they announce the car at Geneva 2009 (as I suspect too) 450 delivery will start at the end of 2009 (as usual with Ferrari they like to let build a certain hype around the car first). And there is another big if: if you are going to get your hands on one of the first made, you will get it at the end of 2009 (which I am not sure it's a good idea but I would end up doing it too ).

Plenty of time to sell the 430 Scud I believe ... well, just my two cents

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Just not my type of car.

David

David

Do us all a favour and keep away from the F-board.

Amen~ I had igg'd him prior for personal attacks on someone so I was surprised actually to see his messages the other day, not sure what happened, maybe I iggy'd him at home & not the work computer, dun no but I'll give it another shot.

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    Rossi, first of all, everything I talked about took as granted the idea that I am not paying any premium price. No matter what I order or buy I should be now in a position to do it at the normal price. Nothing extra. That's something I am not willing to do, same as you.

Now on F450: I had the same dilemma but as I said before I believe people will be more interested in buying a used Scud than a used 430 when 450 will appear. The Scud will be closer to 450 in performance than the standard 430. And in the end less of them will be made therefore more exclusive.
    And Rossi, if they announce the car at Geneva 2009 (as I suspect too) 450 delivery will start at the end of 2009 (as usual with Ferrari they like to let build a certain hype around the car first). And there is another big if: if you are going to get your hands on one of the first made, you will get it at the end of 2009 (which I am not sure it's a good idea but I would end up doing it too ).

Plenty of time to sell the 430 Scud I believe ... well, just my two cents

So when are you going to take delivery of the F430? I would do the same thing probably if I was getting a F430 very soon & was also able to take delivery of the 1st Scud at my dealer as long as it didnt push the delivery of the 430's replacement back any. Also not sure how the prices work where you live but here in NY you could easily make money doing that very thing. On the F430 & on the Scud.

The Scud vs the 430 is very similair to the Challenge Stradale vs the Modena imo. If I didn't already have a Stradale I'd probably be more interested in a Scud then I am right now. Now that I have a 430 I honestly enjoy the car a little more than I did my CS so I'm not that focused on getting a Scud, haven't even asked my dealer for one. My thinking is a lot like Rossi's & it's harder for me to be excited about the Scud knowing by the time I would take delivery the pictures of the replacement will probably be around. If I didnt really love the way my 430 came out optioned wise and wasnt a trouble free car than I'd maybe focus on the Scud but the car is not different enough (for my own tastes) to want a change. Plus I'm waiting for a Turbo Cabrio. to be delivered in a few months and dont know why this is but I enjoy focusing on one new car at a time.

Good luck! You're probably going to love the 430, its a great car.. What does your colors/ options look like for your 430 & Scud?

I was supposed to take delivery of the car at the end of this month but after Frankfurt I changed my ext color from Corsa Red to Mugello Red, so I am going to get the car in December. Giving the fact that in Romania December it's a very busy month for custom, I would bet on January instead. But I really don't mind. I bought this car just to become their #1 official client and until now it paid off. As I said before I am now also #1 on the Scud list and more than that, only one Scud will come next year here. I bet on Scud exclusivity so I will go for it and most probably (if nothing horrible happens to my bussiness meantime) I will exchange it for the first 450 that comes here.
    In my mind it all makes sense.

Per your request Stradale, here is my 430 config:
    - mugello red exterior;
    - nero interior;
    - F1 coupe;
    - Carbon Ceramic brakes;
    - fender shields;
    - rosso corsa red calipers;
    - yellow tachometer;
    - grigio scuro stiching (grey);
    - black leathered roof (thanks Rossi for the advice);
    - Tire pressure monitor (still not likeing the idea but let's try the sucker);
    - pirelli tires, no runflats;
    - 3M clear bra;
    - "plancia centrale" in carbon fibre (the trimming surounding the airvents, both sides and central console).

Here are the codes: CCMD, LOGO, CALR, RUF1, STC1, TPM0.

On the Scud I still have some time to think about but in general I want the same Rosso Mugello with black and grey seats, shields and red calipers.

I know I want the changing gear light on the steering wheel and I hate the way the car looks without some alcantara insertion especially on the door sills so I will go with that for sure (you can see the welding and it doesn't look nice at all when you see it in person, or at least not to me). There were two cars at Frankfurt, one blue and one red. The blue one had no insertions but the red one had and it was looking much better.

For the rest of the options ... I really don't care.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778105 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442042 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262948 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261200 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85464 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5701 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880866 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816466 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM