Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Need help with an Dilemma.............Boxster S or Cayman S?

I currently have an 05 Acura NSX, 05 Honda S2000, and an 05 Acura RL.

I'm thinking of trading in my S2000 and getting either an 07 Porsche Cayman S or Boxster S in White/Tan. If I go with the Cayman S they have one that just came off the truck yesterday that I can get tomorrow. For the Boxster S in that color it would be December or January before they could get me one. That's not a big deal either way.

Here's my problem: I love the rear look of the Cayman S better than the rear look of the Boxster S. It looks more masculine and mean to me than the Boxster.

However, I'm worried that maybe I would miss having a convertible if I trade my S2000 on the Cayman S instead of the Boxster S. At the same time, my NSX does have the Targa top.........but would that be the same???? Also, I can't just push a button and just drop the top with my Targa.........that's more complicated and I probably wouldn't take out the top as much as I would otherwise. At the same time.......I don't drop the top on my S2000 at all in the summer because it's soo hot......but it is great to do in the fall and winter here.

If you were me.......would you get the Cayman S or the Boxster S and why???????????

Or would you just get rid of the Yellow S2000 and get an 07 White S2000?? That's the other thing I was thinking of doing before today......because I want a white car and I like the red/black seat combo that's on the 07 white S2000's.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Re: Need help with an Dilemma.............Boxster S or Cayman S?

Get the Boxster, more car for less money AND you can't see your ass when you have the top down and cruising around. Also, the Boxster boot is more practical than the Cayman,

And lastly your friends won't tease with you silly names because of the Cayman.

IMO, Boxster S. It now has the same engine (3.4L 295bhp) as a Cayman S plus it's a convertible for LESS money. I don't understand Porsche's pricing (since convertibles usually cost more than the coupe) but make the most of it! I think it's the best deal Porsche offers.

If you believe the argument that the Cayman offers a better handling chassis etc because it is stiffer etc, then good luck with that - I just feel that you'll find that the better chassis simply exposes the shortcomings of the Cayman S i.e. that it would be even better with a rear LSD and that it could even do with more power. Me? I still think of the Cayman as a Boxster coupe. OK, it has some minor styling differences, but it's basically a Boxster with a roof. I know Porsche has tried very hard to promote it as a completely separate range but I just don't buy that.

Don't worry about looks and the 'silly' name if you do decide to get a Cayman. If people say stuff like 'Gayman' etc, they're just being childish. The Cayman is an exceptionally good car and doesn't deserve such silly remarks. Looks-wise, it's a pretty car. I first didn't like it when I saw the photos. I actually hated the rear view. However, it's a car that grows on you. I now quite like the Cayman.

With all due respect, you'll enjoy a Boxster S more than a S2000. Japanese cars have their strengths and the S2000 is a great car no doubt BUT Japanese cars just feel very different to a German car particularly a Porsche.

Plus, if you are prepared to spend Cayman S money anyway, why not put the money you save by choosing a Boxster S into some really good options so that you enhance your experience even further.

I would want a convertible if I lived in Florida not just for the Autumn, Winter or Spring but also for night time when it's cooler....great car for cruising at night! Did I say I absolutely adore Miami?!

Anyway, good luck with your decision. I think it boils down to (1) value for money (2) how badly you want a convertible. Like I said, for me, it's a no brainer...Boxster S.

get the boxster S 2007, you'll save some thousand bucks compared to the basic price of the cayman S, plus you will also have a roadster car....

The new 3.4liter 295bhp of the new Boxster S is going to be so much fun, I would say more than a 997

Definately i'll go with the boxster S , the main and only reason is because it has the same engine as the cayman S for less money....

We are considering buying a 2007 boxster S

Bosxter S for sure,you live in Florida, roadster is made for the road and wheater like this.
    If you like the Caymen S end, get the sport pack and search the old forum their is Cayman S top to buy at the markt.

PS. White/Tan is good comb, but will you conside with Terracotta., they used to have some white/red car for Porsche exclusive, look stund

For me the Porsche equation is:
    if you want a coupe:997
    if you want a conv: boxster
    But that's just me :-)

Agree with Jeannot's equation. I still find a 911 convertible awkward looking; the Boxster is by far the better styled convertible. And for a coupe, nothing beats the roofline of the 911. The Cayman is interesting but looks to futzy (tiree par les cheveux). Perhaps they were trying too hard to differentiate the rooflines, with that depression in the middle and the pontoonish rear fenders. A touch too far on the wrong side of retro in my mind.

What they should have done is to make it into a notchback like the Dino or the 914. Or go with a larger volume on the hatchback, like the F430 or the Audi R8, preferably with a visible motor. That would have been something...
    Instead, we have a flawed hatchback, with the noise boom and low frequency sound pressure issues that come with that, but without the praticality of the 944, e.g.

Kamal (MA)
    They should

Quote:
    tbck2793 said:
    Here's my problem: I love the rear look of the Cayman S better than the rear look of the Boxster S. It looks more masculine and mean to me than the Boxster.

However, I'm worried that maybe I would miss having a convertible if I trade my S2000 on the Cayman S instead of the Boxster S.

Maybe a Cayman Targa would be the perfect car for you
    To be serious: in the first place you have to decide whether you want a cab or a coupé. It's the same dilemma for the Carrera guys: I guess most 997 cab owners admit that the roofline of the 997 coupé is much nicer compared to the cab, but they wouldn't trade the cab experience "just" for the better look of the coupé.
    As for the 987 platform I'm not so sure which car is the winner in the looks department. If it's the "mean look" thing you're after, the Cayman may have a small edge, but IMO only if you get the Cayman in black colour (but that's just me ).
    Yes, on paper and maybe also in the real world the Cayman has (again an IMO small) edge when carving through those twisties. But after having tested the Cayman S I was happy to jump into my 987 S again (even with the tiny 3.2 engine), simply because the open car feels more like a raw, tossable kart-like funster, whereas the Cayman felt just perfect, but less inspiring to me. Of course this judgement is more driven by the emotional sensation in the first place and not so much by objective data (like 0-100 times, NBR-laptime), but this emotional factor always comes first in my book when buying a sportscar
    Hence I totally agree with Jeannot's equation. If garage space and silly cash would allow I'd see two P-cars in my garage : 987 S as I could never live without the kart-like visceral roadster-fun anymore and 997 S X51 -20mm as a sports-coupé providing both a lot of comfort for long Autobahn legs and enough muscle for some sporty ambitions. Talking about sporty ambitions: both Cayman S and Boxster S show just amazing performance on winding backroads due to their neutral handling - I already had some interesting encounters with the "big brothers" on such kind of roads (my permagrin grew even bigger than normal.. ).
    Bottom line: you may collect a lot of valuable pro/con arguments from other Rennteamers (of course dependent on the Board you're posting at ), but a Porsche-purchase should be driven by the heart (and not all Rennteamers' hearts are beating in the same tact). Hence drive them both (cab & coupé) and after the testdrive you're heart will tell you...

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Hence I totally agree with Jeannot's equation. If garage space and silly cash would allow I'd see two P-cars in my garage : 987 S as I could never live without the kart-like visceral roadster-fun anymore and 997 S X51 -20mm as a sports-coupé providing both a lot of comfort for long Autobahn legs and enough muscle for some sporty ambitions.

I agree even more with your equation: boxster S + 997S = perfect (ok you still need a proper 4 seater etc, but that is an independent variable not to be factored in

Re: Need help with an Dilemma.............Boxster S or Cayma

No dilemma, a no brainer.
    Boxster S 3.4, mine will only come late in Jan because of the PSE (which I actually never heard even on a different P), and I would never think of sth else but a convertible. Sun is up, roof is down - period (actually, roof is down as long it does not rain too hard, or traffic is too slow).
    The Cayman is a wonderful car, but if you want to buy a coupe, get the beatiful 997.
    By the way, my PZ had a white Boxster with black leather and roof, looked spectacular - especially the back.
    But I must say I had a white Toyota Corolla some decade ago and it looked always dirty with Germany's raining dust from the sky, so no option for me.

A classic question in here.
    And my answer will be the same as long as the Cayman and Boxster is sharing engine: Get the Boxster.
    Unless u plan to beat track records and really need that extra 0.3 second that the Cayman's stiffness provides, there is no point in getting a more expensive closed car.
    Yes, I know Florida is hot - but still. IMO it's a no-brainer.

Good luck!

Boxster S, especially in Florida.

The Cayman S has a stiffer front end, and a bit better grip, but anywhere near legal U.S. speeds the Boxster S will do all of that and be cheaper, plus you can enjoy the open top.

Jim

Re: Need help with an Dilemma.............Boxster

Boxster S. Owning a Boxster, I just drove a Cayman S: although much powerful, experience would is in favour of the Boxster. It's more alive and less perfect. You'll get more pleasure with a Boxster.

Boxster S definitly over the Cayman. I drive a Boxster and over the weekend I got an opportunity to drive the Cayman. It is a really great car with slick lines although I am not that crazy about the rooflines especially over the cockpit, it is a bit too contoured and bubble like. From a handling perspective it is actually quite difficult to compare the two, comparing a coupe to a convertible is not really comparing apples with apples, each has their pros and cons. From a performance point of view the 07 987S has the same engine now as the Cayman S so that is not really a discussion anymore. Pricing is a no-brainer for obvious reasons. IMO, it comes down to whether you want a convertible or not. I live in Johannesburg South Africa where the sun always shines, like in Florida and there is nothing better than cruising on a sunny sunday afternoon (or Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat ) with the top down....something to think about. Good luck with the decision and remember at the end of the day you will be driving a Porsche and that in itself is just a fantastic experience.

The only thing that you should decide is: Cab or Coupe? I'm biased, my last three fun cars have all been Cabs (325i/986/997S). Nothing better than driving on a warm evening with the top down. And while the Honda is a fine car, it's not a Boxster.

this might solve your problem.. www.zeintec.com

The problem with the Cayman is that I had heard a few laymen pointing at the CAYMAN saying that it is the new AUDI TT. Another friend did say that (so he chose C4s brand new over the CAYMAN) he found CAYMAN to look like the new TT... sortta bubble like.

Get the Boxster and put a Zeintop on it; you get the best of both worlds

You have a NSX already... why a Cayman S?
    wouldn't they be similar? haha

Quote:
    RPVBoxster said:
    Get the Boxster and put a Zeintop on it; you get the best of both worlds

No, NO Zeintop! It's uglier than a Chevy Nova on 18" chrome wheels.

You want a roadster, get the Box, a coupe, get the Cayman, pretty simple.

Get a 911 if you don't like the look of the rear of the Boxster. Just kidding: get the Boxster S. Performance is the same and you get a retractable roof for less money.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Get a 911 if you don't like the look of the rear of the Boxster. Just kidding: get the Boxster S. Performance is the same and you get a retractable roof for less money.

voilá

Follor Rc point of view, I would do the same, and well in fact we did !

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782186 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442926 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261972 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86029 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6038 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881713 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819913 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM