Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Test of 997 turbo in july....

Today I received a phone call from my dealer to let me know that few documents were available since a while and more importantly, I will be able to try the 997 turbo the 1st of july -- to try out the tip and the manual gearbox! She said also that the test will last aorund an hour!
    Can't wait till that date to try out both gearbox

Re: Test of 997 turbo in july....

Quote:
    polo said:
    Today I received a phone call from my dealer to let me know that few documents were available since a while and more importantly, I will be able to try the 997 turbo the 1st of july -- to try out the tip and the manual gearbox! She said also that the test will last aorund an hour!
    Can't wait till that date to try out both gearbox

You're lucky that your dealer has one available. Most german dealers get only one car, maybe two if they're a large dealership. And I suspect that all cars are already sold, no testrides until the next batch comes in September.

I'm curious to hear your impressions of both since I will publish a short review around June 26th and a longer one early July. Don't forget to take pictures.

My dealer is also Porsche France that is maybe why they will have one to try out for their customers, that might have ordered it firmly, I don't know for sure, but what counts is that I am on the list... I'm very lucky as you mentioned it to try it out, as it offset the long wait of getting her. I have a confirmed september prod and I gave a deposit on Feb. 14th... But I'm glad I have a chance to see how "good" is the new tip tranny and if it is (I'm skeptical but not stupid enough to not realize my mistakes) I can still make changes because I ordered a manual+LSD.
    I will post my impressions and I will post pictures after the test ride

I will get mine in june... maby eaven before the 24th since that a holyday here Then i will def. take pictures and report on how it is.

are you sure about testrides? As far as I know my dealer will have one car for testdriving, not for selling.

AM

i have a test drive on june 26...cant wait!

my dealer just called me, they have sold their contingent for this year (4 cars). They have a much larger contingent for next year. My option could be february 2007 or I should wait to August 2007. They will have a test drive car.

He has tested the 997 tt. He said the performance of the car is awesome. You don't hear the engine when accelerating, you hear how the tyres eat the road. Accelerating with manual is not so easy like it is with tiptronic. He said you start and immediately have to switch to the second gear. Will be hectically.
    He said (as a rumour)that with MY 2008 (august 2007) PDK will be introduced instead of tiptronic.

AM

Quote:
    He said (as a rumour)that with MY 2008 (august 2007) PDK will be introduced instead of tiptronic.

if this is true, it's a slap in the face of all early turbo buyers.

Well Porsche has a big history at introducing features shortly after a model is released. Or maybe we can trust P for once and think the PDK just wasn't ready?

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

This is also my dilemma. Get a february 2007 car and a few month later all 997 tt will have PDK. Wait until august 2007 and then P decides not to introduce PDK!

AM

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

This is also my dilemma. Get a february 2007 car and a few month later all 997 tt will have PDK. Wait until august 2007 and then P decides not to introduce PDK!

AM

I'd say it's worth the wait. Porsche MAY not introduce the PDK in August 2007, but if it does and you ordered your car for February, you won't feel so good.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

Especially a slap in the face of the early tiptronic-turbo-buyers...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

An absurd conspiracy theory IMO.....if a robust PDK were available today, wouldn't any profit-seeking mfr seek ASAP release of an option that prob would command a greater (and higher margin) price than Tiptronic option????

And if PDK is as amazing as many claim, I suspect buyers of both archaic manual and Tip 997TT's will face a greater resale value hit .....esp if PDK is avail in plentiful nos. early on....but given how cheap 997TT is priced, any incremental deprec hit is rounding error anyway, esp in US, where car prices and lease terms are esp cheap.....

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

true zzboba....a big slap in the face...IMO they should annouce the release date of pdk so people make their choice .such a major change is not acceptable after 1 year of the release of a new model. this is total betrayal!

C'mon let's be real

what company announces what they are bringing to market in 2 years? why would they freeze the market like that. Best advice - early buyers should not purchase outright, but rather lease it for 2 years. I'm doing a one time upfront lease payment - no interest on the lease and I walk from the car in 2 years.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

true zzboba....a big slap in the face...IMO they should annouce the release date of pdk so people make their choice .such a major change is not acceptable after 1 year of the release of a new model. this is total betrayal!

I can't say who told me... but I heard the same rumor.
    ...And so I wait.

oh, it would be soooo like Porsche to keep PDK relatively under wrap to extract as much value as poss from their soon to be extinct tiptronics...

how many tips sell once PDK's introduced? none?

how many tips are they sitting on right now??...

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    oh, it would be soooo like Porsche to keep PDK relatively under wrap to extract as much value as poss from their soon to be extinct tiptronics...

how many tips sell once PDK's introduced? none?

how many tips are they sitting on right now??...

Right, these rumours give me a bitter taste.
    At the moment the best tranny for the 997 tt is the manual, in a couple of months it most probably will be the PDK for the technology-enthusiastic drivers and still the manual for the die-hards.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

An absurd conspiracy theory IMO.....if a robust PDK were available today, wouldn't any profit-seeking mfr seek ASAP release of an option that prob would command a greater (and higher margin) price than Tiptronic option????

And if PDK is as amazing as many claim, I suspect buyers of both archaic manual and Tip 997TT's will face a greater resale value hit .....esp if PDK is avail in plentiful nos. early on....but given how cheap 997TT is priced, any incremental deprec hit is rounding error anyway, esp in US, where car prices and lease terms are esp cheap.....

That is very logical, but another conspiracy theory might point to Porsche trying to unload obsolete tip gearboxes that would never be sold again if they infact did release PDK. Of course, I'm not familiar with their logistics...

My money is on the PDK coming with a diff model (the S or maybe the GT2/ GT2 mkII) to boost up the sales. I mean the 997TT is selling like hotcakes, why not wait?

according to contacts in PCNA

PDK is at least two years away, maybe more

Re: C'mon let's be real

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    what company announces what they are bringing to market in 2 years? why would they freeze the market like that. Best advice - early buyers should not purchase outright, but rather lease it for 2 years. I'm doing a one time upfront lease payment - no interest on the lease and I walk from the car in 2 years.

Doesn't everyone who enjoys driving fresh copies of latest tech cars in most cost- and sales tax-efficient manner simply lease $0 down/5 yrs/10K mi/yr and trade-in every 6-12 mos, paying lease balance due at trade-in (and quickly acquiring "volume" discounts/priority at one's favorite dealer...and avoiding mtce costs/downtime )????

Re: according to contacts in PCNA

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

Kudos to PCNA to try to keep their sales up. I think there'll be enough demand that they don't need to worry about this. With that being said... they were rounding up to the highest number.

Less than two.

Re: according to contacts in PCNA

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

That's sense I also get...

Need a new '08 997TT in 12 mos anyway....I suspect there will be a sports exhaust option, poss X50 option, and inevitable software debugs on such a networked first-yr produc car....besides, after 15K mis of exuberant driving, I'm sure there will be stone chips, new rattles and semi-worn brakes/tires that I'd happily trade for a new copy

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    my dealer just called me, they have sold their contingent for this year (4 cars). They have a much larger contingent for next year. My option could be february 2007 or I should wait to August 2007. They will have a test drive car.

He has tested the 997 tt. He said the performance of the car is awesome. You don't hear the engine when accelerating, you hear how the tyres eat the road. Accelerating with manual is not so easy like it is with tiptronic. He said you start and immediately have to switch to the second gear. Will be hectically.

AM

I have heard the same rumour on this side of the pond-PDK in MY2008-at the earliest.

But rather than join in the Nick-esque Porschephobic view of some on this thread that Porsche is "holding back" PDK to "milk" 997TT-TipS sales, I'll ask all those naysayers this:

Have you considered the possiblility that Porsche wants to introduce a tranny that enables the driver to shift (and thus control) the car as he would a manual with lightning-quick shift times, capable of handling prodigious torque, yet with a "smart" automatic mode that interfaces seemlessly with the complicated computer-controlled systems now installed in the current 997TT (PSM, PTM, VTG's), that would render the current offering of PDK/DSG/F1 trannies obsolete?

And that Achleitner's and Wiedeking's references to "difficulties" developing the PDK are not signs of brain cramps afflicting Porsche engineers hungover from burning the midnight oil and overdosing on caffeine attempting to make the 997TT-TipS succeed?

Guys, I don't know about you, but if I intend to buy a 911Turbo that does not use a manual stick, then I prefer that its tranny replacement to be an advance over the present technology, not merely an application from the competition's offerings to the Porsche line-up. If it takes a few years of R&D (and marketing timing), so be it. And stop crying about depreciability of the current 997TT in TipS or manual guise for when the next technological breakthrough comes around in the next version of the car-if that's why you are buying a Porsche, then you are buying the wrong car for the wrong reason, and you should not buy the car now. There is no God-given, inalienable right to life, liberty and a 911Turbo with low depreciation risk. All this depreciation talk and Porsche "baiting" 997TT buyers with Tippies instead of bringing out the PDK it has "under wraps" in Weissach sounds like it belongs on Ferrarichat.

...And sorry if I sound a little curmudgeonly tonight. But the 911Turbo is meant to be driven hard and enjoyed. Not to be fawned over with fretting about every raindrop that hits it and rubber it peels, lest it will sell for less than you bought it. Who thinks about selling it even before they buy it?

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

Doesn't everyone who enjoys driving fresh copies of latest tech cars in most cost- and sales tax-efficient manner simply lease $0 down/5 yrs/10K mi/yr and trade-in every 6-12 mos, paying lease balance due at trade-in (and quickly acquiring "volume" discounts/priority at one's favorite dealer...and avoiding mtce costs/downtime )????

VK, don't you get hit hard by turning in your lease 4 years early, every year?

To those of you who are concerned with depreciation and the possibility that PDK might be made available soon, I say cheers and by all means wait. For me, I am getting my 997 tt in July and will be enjoying every ounce of goodie fit has to offer for the next few years. Life is too short to wait for possibly two years or more for fear of depreciation or PDK coming out next year. I choose to enjoy life with all the gusto it currently has to offer ... and that would be the 997 tt! ASAP

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

VK, don't you get hit hard by turning in your lease 4 years early, every year?

I was thinking the same thing...
    Why not just buy it outright and sell it each year. I never thought to do the math on it, but do you actually come out better because of the 1st year's depreciation? (to lease rather than buy)

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:Who thinks about selling it even before they buy it?

I think his name is Nick

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803877 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448709 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266305 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90154 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6732 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886031 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834112 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM