Quote:
mumbasic said:
my dealer just called me, they have sold their contingent for this year (4 cars). They have a much larger contingent for next year. My option could be february 2007 or I should wait to August 2007. They will have a test drive car.

He has tested the 997 tt. He said the performance of the car is awesome. You don't hear the engine when accelerating, you hear how the tyres eat the road. Accelerating with manual is not so easy like it is with tiptronic. He said you start and immediately have to switch to the second gear. Will be hectically.
He said (as a rumour)that with MY 2008 (august 2007) PDK will be introduced instead of tiptronic.

AM

I have heard the same rumour on this side of the pond-PDK in MY2008-at the earliest.

But rather than join in the Nick-esque Porschephobic view of some on this thread that Porsche is "holding back" PDK to "milk" 997TT-TipS sales, I'll ask all those naysayers this:

Have you considered the possiblility that Porsche wants to introduce a tranny that enables the driver to shift (and thus control) the car as he would a manual with lightning-quick shift times, capable of handling prodigious torque, yet with a "smart" automatic mode that interfaces seemlessly with the complicated computer-controlled systems now installed in the current 997TT (PSM, PTM, VTG's), that would render the current offering of PDK/DSG/F1 trannies obsolete?

And that Achleitner's and Wiedeking's references to "difficulties" developing the PDK are not signs of brain cramps afflicting Porsche engineers hungover from burning the midnight oil and overdosing on caffeine attempting to make the 997TT-TipS succeed?

Guys, I don't know about you, but if I intend to buy a 911Turbo that does not use a manual stick, then I prefer that its tranny replacement to be an advance over the present technology, not merely an application from the competition's offerings to the Porsche line-up. If it takes a few years of R&D (and marketing timing), so be it. And stop crying about depreciability of the current 997TT in TipS or manual guise for when the next technological breakthrough comes around in the next version of the car-if that's why you are buying a Porsche, then you are buying the wrong car for the wrong reason, and you should not buy the car now. There is no God-given, inalienable right to life, liberty and a 911Turbo with low depreciation risk. All this depreciation talk and Porsche "baiting" 997TT buyers with Tippies instead of bringing out the PDK it has "under wraps" in Weissach sounds like it belongs on Ferrarichat.