Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

1' 44.4" - Fastest Liana Lap on Top Gear's Track

The fastest lap ever around Top Gear's track in the famous Toyota Liana was posted by ...........the Stig.

Surprise, surprise.

Tonight's show was not one of the best, to put it mildly, in spite of saying a few kind things about the Jaguar XKR and a few unkind things about the Corvette ZO6 .

Boy, I really hope that Fifth Gear keeps to it's current format, instead of thinking that the show needs to be "dumbed down" the way Top Gear has been.

Re: 1' 44.4" - Fastest Liana Lap on Top Gear's Track

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Boy, I really hope that Fifth Gear keeps to it's current format, instead of thinking that the show needs to be "dumbed down" the way Top Gear has been.

Couldn't agree more

Spot on!!!

Isn't it a Suzuki Liana ?

yeah, ans when you think about it, the stig is going faster than F1 drivers.

Except if he's a F1 driver, wich I really doubt, the stig's perf is all BS.

Why does he bother working for topgear when he would be faster than lots of F1 guys out there.

Quote:
    amazon said:

Why does he bother working for topgear when he would be faster than lots of F1 guys out there.

Stig's performance depends on his' classic music mode

Quote:
    John H said:
    Spot on!!!

Love your avatar ..

throt...

Don't forget that the stig has been driving on that tracks countless number of times while Mansell was only a couple of 10ths slower after a few laps!
    I'm sure stig's a great driver in his own right tho.

Quote:
    amazon said:

Don't forget that it was a retired F1 driver.
    Mark Webber would have been a lot faster,if had done on a dry surface.He did a 1:47 and Clarkson said that the difference between dry and wet is about 4 seconds.

The Stig's Identity:

SPOILER ALERT:

from 2002-2003 - he was Perry McCarthy a former F1 driver.

after that, there are multiple drivers who rotate.

PS. this week's episode was very disapointing.

Didn't one of the stigs run off the road into the water and die? I am pretty sure I read that somewhere, maybe its just a rumor.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Isn't it a Suzuki Liana ?

Suzuki Liana, Toyota Liana, would anybody really care?

Re: Decline and fall of western civilisation

It is now official.

The world is going to hell in a hand basket.

Today's "Fifth Gear" was hardly much better than a typical "Top Gear" program.

Jason Plato gave track driving lessons to girl group "Girls Aloud", who left me with the impression that they could boast an IQ of maybe 150 - between five of them.

One of them managed to scrape a Ferrari against their tour manager's Chrysler Minivan's bumper just leaving the pit lane at low speed, so there must be a God after all.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    It is now official.

Today's "Fifth Gear" was hardly much better than a typical "Top Gear" program.

Jason Plato gave track driving lessons to girl group "Girls Aloud", who left me with the impression that they could boast an IQ of maybe 150 - between five of them.

One of them managed to scrape a Ferrari against their tour manager's Chrysler Minivan's bumper just leaving the pit lane at low speed, so there must be a God after all.

I hope they made her pay for the damages...

Quote:
    fritz said:

Every generation claims the next is going to Hell in a handbasket. This time I think it's serious!

Quote:
    fritz said:

I found this part mildly entertaining, and 'interesting' to see them behind the wheel of a 997. However I agree, this is not the reason I watch Fifth Gear.

What is more interesting however, is the choice of car for this kind of instruction. Does the 997 not seem like an odd choice for this kind of driving?

I thought Top Gear's second episode was an improvement on the absolutely dire first episode of this new series.

As for last night's Fifth Gear - I quite enjoyed parts of it...Maserati Quattroporte, BMW M5 vs BMW M6, watching Jason Plato drive the wheels off a 997S in an attempt to scare the girls from Girls Aloud sh*tless. I liked the donut world record too.

I must say Jason was openly rude, patronising, sexist and condescending to them. So what if they are hopeless drivers? They didn't claim to be good drivers. They were just prepared to give it a go.

I think they have already earned more in the past 3 years as second rate popstars than Jason Plato has in 15-20 years as an also ran driver and TV presenter!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I thought Top Gear's second episode was an improvement on the absolutely dire first episode of this new series.

As for last night's Fifth Gear - I quite enjoyed parts of it...Maserati Quattroporte, BMW M5 vs BMW M6, watching Jason Plato drive the wheels off a 997S in an attempt to scare the girls from Girls Aloud sh*tless. I liked the donut world record too.

I must say Jason was openly rude, patronising, sexist and condescending to them. So what if they are hopeless drivers? They didn't claim to be good drivers. They were just prepared to give it a go.

I think they have already earned more in the past 3 years as second rate popstars than Jason Plato has in 15-20 years as an also ran driver and TV presenter!

It's the last part that I have a problem with. Of course it could be classified as envy, but it's inconcievable to me that a bunch of no-talent low-IQ women, with no real ability, can earn more than a racecar driver, who also happens to be in one of the most quality car shows on TV. Of course, they will be long gone in a couple of years, but one still finds it incredible.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    It's the last part that I have a problem with. Of course it could be classified as envy, but it's inconcievable to me that a bunch of no-talent low-IQ women, with no real ability, can earn more than a racecar driver, who also happens to be in one of the most quality car shows on TV. Of course, they will be long gone in a couple of years, but one still finds it incredible.

I don't think that those girls are untalented.I'm sure they can sing and dance better than 99,9% of the world's population.
    They didn't steal the money they earned.People bought their records without being threatened.
    Of course,there re more talented people but there are also faster amateur drivers than Jason Plato.

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I don't think that those girls are untalented.I'm sure they can sing and dance better than 99,9% of the world's population.
    They didn't steal the money they earned.People bought their records without being threatened.
    Of course,there re more talented people but there are also faster amateur drivers than Jason Plato.

Of course. However, there are so many better performers, who never succeed due to bad marketing, but these girls did (of course this is just my opinion - and no, their dancing and singing skills don't seem all that spectacular to me). Of course, we should all say: "good for them", but then again, there are so many other people, who are brighter, more competent and much more valuable in the grand scheme of things, who don't earn nearly as much money as these girls do, simply because they don't have a bunch of horny, unsexed males and giggly teenagers buying their albums, that's all. There are many other male and female artists, for whom I sincerely believe that they deservedly are where they are (they actually ARE good). Being born from a TV show doesn't guarantee quality, however it does guarantee a fanatical following. Not wanting to sound too negative, this is simpky my opinion on the matter.

Quote:
    luke said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:

Every generation claims the next is going to Hell in a handbasket. This time I think it's serious!

Haha, I believe that. And who's fault is it? Mc Donalds...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Are you sure they earned the money? I thought it was their managers...

Anybody found a link to above mentioned FifthGear show? It still makes me more curious than TopGear's Liana races.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Of course. However, there are so many better performers, who never succeed due to bad marketing, but these girls did (of course this is just my opinion - and no, their dancing and singing skills don't seem all that spectacular to me). Of course, we should all say: "good for them", but then again, there are so many other people, who are brighter, more competent and much more valuable in the grand scheme of things, who don't earn nearly as much money as these girls do, simply because they don't have a bunch of horny, unsexed males and giggly teenagers buying their albums, that's all. There are many other male and female artists, for whom I sincerely believe that they deservedly are where they are (they actually ARE good). Being born from a TV show doesn't guarantee quality, however it does guarantee a fanatical following. Not wanting to sound too negative, this is simpky my opinion on the matter.

All that is true but the same thing applies to Jason Plato.I'm sure there are many people that are better for the job.

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

All that is true but the same thing applies to Jason Plato.I'm sure there are many people that are better for the job.

Perhaps, perhaps not. An automotive journalist has to be a good driver, which he certainly is, but also has to be able to present things in a clear and concise way (add humorous if you're a Top Gear fan). I believe he does all these with ease. On the other hand, a world-class F1 racer may or may not have the same qualities. That's the difference between the singing and the journalist business.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:

Perhaps, perhaps not. An automotive journalist has to be a good driver, which he certainly is, but also has to be able to present things in a clear and concise way (add humorous if you're a Top Gear fan). I believe he does all these with ease. On the other hand, a world-class F1 racer may or may not have the same qualities. That's the difference between the singing and the journalist business.

FWIW, Jason Plato is a professional race driver (touring car class) turned TV presenter, not a pro journo who happens to be able to drive.

Quote:
    luke said:
    What is more interesting however, is the choice of car for this kind of instruction. Does the 997 not seem like an odd choice for this kind of driving?

Oh, I don't know if it is such an odd choice?

Good performance and handling, plenty of informative feedback, mechanically robust, best passive safety in a serious accident, and a lot cheaper to fix than a Ferrari if somebody were to crash it into a tour manager's Chrysler Minivan.

Last point didn't seem to work out as the producer might have hoped.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Maybe that thought was what prompted him to be openly rude, patronising, sexist and condescending to them.

At the risk of also appearing to be "o. r., p., s. a. c. t. th." shouldn't we be making more of a distinction betwean "making" money and "earning" money here?

I just couldn't help myself... I've have been laughing myself silly with this bit with Plato showing the average 20 yr old girl who thinks they can drive, a lap around a track... this girl in particular says she drives at 100mph all the time on the public roads

LOL!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I just couldn't help myself... I've have been laughing myself silly with this bit with Plato showing the average 20 yr old girl who thinks they can drive, a lap around a track... this girl in particular says she drives at 100mph all the time on the public roads

LOL!

She's probably been looking at the water temperature gauge instead of the speedo!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

LOL!

LOL! Fritz is right, 100 mph my buttocks !

I'd say she sat on something on the seat that hurt really bad .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803769 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448680 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266281 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90148 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6710 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885992 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833940 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM