Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What do you think of the requirement that before buying a

Z06 or 600hp Blue Devil you must attend a driving school? That point was lost in my thread regarding GM. They delayed the Blue Devil because of their concern that buyers would not be able handle the power. One option they are seriously considering is you must attend a driving school BEFORE you can buy the car.

Though I can think of many issues, I believe it is terrific step forward in controlling the exploding power of these cars.

Re: What do you think of the requirement that before buying a

I really think it's a good idea. So many people buy these cars not knowing what they're capable of. I remember seeing pics of a brand new Ford GT that was crashed because the driver didn't know how to handle the power.
    It would give new owners a chance to see what their sportscars are able to do in a controlled environment. Even for an experienced driver, 600hp isn't something to be taken lightly.

Quote:
    nberry said:One option they are seriously considering is you must attend a driving school BEFORE you can buy the car.

This is not really a new idea in the performance-car industry.

Ferrari already requires that first-time buyers attend a "bend-over" school, run by their dealers.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:One option they are seriously considering is you must attend a driving school BEFORE you can buy the car.

Ferrari already requires that first-time buyers attend a "bend-over" school, run by their dealers.

LOL... indeed! I believe it's called Brokeback Institute... only this time the guy falls in love with your wallet.

I think it would be farce.

What would dealers do? Withold delivery of the vehicle until the "course" was completed? And whom would decide the course contents, testing levels and student certification? And would the owner of the vehicle have to sign a pledge to never let non "certified" drivers drive the car? And to whom would dispute reolution fall upon if students of such courses fail? Details please - if you have any.

It smacks of a idea to appeal to those who feel it is their duty to interfere with other peoples lives and make them as complex as possible for the sake of touting their ineffectual, but "feel good" and useless solutions.

Ask me how I really feel.

Warning, This post contains gratuitous sarcasm and irony. It may be objectionable to those without a sense of humor, those with only a literal comprehension of the English language, or those who reside in the Peoples Republik Of Kalifornia.

LOL to the ferrari comments, i experienced the red tape first hand, long story that i won't get into...

it is a very good idea to include a driving course, i have heard of porsche dealers in the UK giving their customers porsche driver experience invitations as part of the delivery process.

as cars get more and more powerful and the margin for error is reduced for the more hardcore models, certain buyers who are less experienced may be putting themselves at risk.

Quote:
    W8MM said:

What about overseas customers? How are they planing to send them to driving schools?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:

Mike,

Ferrari distribution issues are difficult but I cannot think of a better way to change it.

The idea of a driving school is a terrific concept and should be pursued.

I'm almost under the impression that ALL drivers should be forced to take extensive driver training and those that don't do well shouldn't get their license. Its to the point here where we have TV ads showing how to properly put on a seat belt!!!!

To relate this to the topic at hand I think far too many people have licenses that shouldn't. the same goes for sports cars and their owners- some of them just can't drive. So i'd support mandatory driver's school for these cars or at least a common sense test-we don't need another "I didn't know my car could go that fast-its the manufacturer's fault for not warning me" lawsuit.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:

Mike,

Ferrari distribution issues are difficult but I cannot think of a better way to change it.

The idea of a driving school is a terrific concept and should be pursued.

A terrific concept for whom? And what does your "concept" have to say for the secondary market. You may have heard of those things called.... "used" cars?

Are buyers of pre owned exotics gifted with more skill than those who buy new ones?

Maybe you should also propose a drivers course for illegal aliens who put 16 people into a 150hp Toyota van and then crash on the San Diego freeway killing them all. Are their lives less dear than that of new Ferrari purchaser?

Think it all the way through Nick.

Warning, This post contains gratuitous sarcasm and irony. It may be objectionable to those without a sense of humor, those with only a literal comprehension of the English language, or those reside in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

Don't you think a soccer mom driving a 6,500 SUV like a maniac during winter should have a mandatory class too? She is probably way more dangerous and there are many more...

Jim, Jim i recognize there are issues but how can a driving school in handling a 5-600hp car be anything but good for the buyer and the public?

I saw the secondary market issue immediately and I do not believe there is a simple solution.

It is often stated on this board as well as others that these cars deserve respect. Yet no one articulates what is meant by the term. Is it just awareness of the potential or is it more? To respect a car and what it can do is to know how to drive it. Not all cars are alike.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Jim, Jim i recognize there are issues but how can a driving school in handling a 5-600hp car be anything but good for the buyer and the public?

I saw the secondary market issue immediately and I do not believe there is a simple solution.

It is often stated on this board as well as others that these cars deserve respect. Yet no one articulates what is meant by the term. Is it just awareness of the potential or is it more? To respect a car and what it can do is to know how to drive it. Not all cars are alike.

We'll 650hp and 2800 lbs is better hp/weight ratio than many race cars on the sports car ciruits today. It think the C6R has almost the same power/weight ratio, and to think you will be able to have one for around $100k. Driving a 600HP Mercedes that weights 4000lbs is one thing, but 2800lbs? People are definately getting hurt.

Re: What do you think of the requirement that before buying

What about making crazy kids who buy crotch-rockets take motorcycle drivers training as well? I mean power to weight they are just as crazy as the proposed Blue Devil and even the current Z06 and the hot shots who buy them never know what they are doing with them.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, its well intentioned but useless. Point us to any projected results for your mandatory course for new owners. I doubt if you can.

I am more concerned about the high percentage of accidents and fatalaties caused by unlicensed drivers. In some states they are biggest single group that causes automobile crash injuries and deaths.

The odds of being killed by a speeding Enzo or while in a Corvette or a Porsche are way lower than the chance of being killed by a meth head or drunk driver with a suspended license that is behind the wheel of a 90's Toyota Camry.

I suggest if you want to make a impact when it comes to saving lives, that you figure out a way to solve that problem first. Sort your priorities please.

Warning, This post contains gratuitous sarcasm and irony. It may be objectionable to those without a sense of humor, those with only a literal comprehension of the English language, or those have visited or live in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

Quote:
    harryo2b said:
    What about making crazy kids who buy crotch-rockets take motorcycle drivers training as well? I mean power to weight they are just as crazy as the proposed Blue Devil and even the current Z06 and the hot shots who buy them never know what they are doing with them.

Well at least in the process of killing themselves they will not hurt others on the road. In a car, we all are at risk.

Jim, I know we cannot solve all the problems of the road but we certainly can address those which we created. If we are going to sell missiles to anyone who has money we can prequalify them. If we avoid one accident/injury the effort is worth it.

BTW, driver ed programs have proven to be very effective. Driver ed regarding the use of powerful automobiles would be just as effective. Don't let your Libertarian philosophy blind you.

I think that more should be taught to teens who are just getting their licence..more than just how to use your blinkers & the rules of the road. Teach them accident avoidence techniques, panic breaking (without actually panicing) and other advance forms of driving that are otherwise not taught. Our current licensing program in the US is way to easy. Also, i believe some states offer a discount on your insurance if you take some advanced driving courses. I think if more states adopted this and promoted it, then more people would take these courses & we'd (hopefully) get some better drivers on the roads.

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    I think that more should be taught to teens who are just getting their licence..more than just how to use your blinkers & the rules of the road. Teach them accident avoidence techniques, panic breaking (without actually panicing) and other advance forms of driving that are otherwise not taught. Our current licensing program in the US is way to easy. Also, i believe some states offer a discount on your insurance if you take some advanced driving courses. I think if more states adopted this and promoted it, then more people would take these courses & we'd (hopefully) get some better drivers on the roads.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE should be forced to complete a driver safety school, before ever being allowed to drive as a licensed driver. I see way too many people driving without having the slightest idea what the heck is going on around them, much less about what's going on with their car.
    Performance driving school completion should be a prerequisite for any person, trying to REGISTER a car for which the manufacturer specified obligatory performance driving school attendance.
    That's the way I see it.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    harryo2b said:

Well at least in the process of killing themselves they will not hurt others on the road. In a car, we all are at risk.

Jim, I know we cannot solve all the problems of the road but we certainly can address those which we created. If we are going to sell missiles to anyone who has money we can prequalify them. If we avoid one accident/injury the effort is worth it.

BTW, driver ed programs have proven to be very effective. Driver ed regarding the use of powerful automobiles would be just as effective. Don't let your Libertarian philosophy blind you.

Nick, I cant tell if you are endorsing that the state should require the courses, that they be dealer optional,
    or purely voluntary.

If you think that the state should regulate this, why not take your idea to Lt Govenor Bustamante? Im sure he would find it perfect for theme dinners with lobbyists.

I also suggest you define just what a "performance car" is
    before you seek to add additional financial burden onto buyers.

While you are developing this, figure out a way to include used car owners and those who modify cars - like
    2000lb honda cars supercharged and nitroused that run 11 sec quartermile times - and put it all into nice language that doesnt imply that expensive sports car buyers lack respect or common sense.

I would love to have the west coast franchise for the Kennedy School of Performance Driving, Bridge Crossing,
    and Mobile Rehab for the Rich. They do need all the help they can get. Perhaps the rich really do need extra common sense and respect lessons when it comes to cars?

But even more effective and rewarding would be to form a non profit corp dedicated to achieving a outright ban on these types of vehicles.

Why do people need them anyway? Let the State establish needs criteria for cars and owners and ban potential hazardous vehicles like these "missiles" as you call them. Im sure there are plenty of mailing lists of people who would donate money to the cause to help pay for executive salaries and consultants fees.

Warning, This post contains gratuitous sarcasm and irony. It may be objectionable to those without a sense of humor, those with only a literal comprehension of the English language, or those have visited or live in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

I think what would be more apt would be to force the dealers to impress upon their clientel the severity of the machines they yeild, rather than trying to pinch off as many sales as possible.

An optional driver's course would be awesome, but mandatory would be flagarantly unacceptable...

------------

What would be interesting would be different tiers of drivers liscenses. Of course, all the red-tape and beauracratic mumbo-jumbo would never facilitate this...

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    I think what would be more apt would be to force the dealers to impress upon their clientel the severity of the machines they yeild, rather than trying to pinch off as many sales as possible.

An optional driver's course would be awesome, but mandatory would be flagarantly unacceptable...

------------

What would be interesting would be different tiers of drivers liscenses. Of course, all the red-tape and beauracratic mumbo-jumbo would never facilitate this...

I don't know about that... Any time a high-performance sports car is wrecked, the entire traffic lobby roars up in rage and demands an end to the tyrrany of fast vehicles. Usually, the driver is an incompetent prick, who had no business driving such a car in the first place.
    It would probably do good to the image of sports cars, if people driving them were actually capable of handling such power.

I think you guys over estimate the problem and the actual carnage.

The insurance companies put pressure on the big 3 during the muscle car era because young adult males were crashing
    performance cars. Younger guys(under 25)could afford them and its that age group that had the most accidents.

The performace cars of today are way quicker, faster and have a lower accident rate than the muscle cars of the past.
    Mainly because todays high performabnce car buyers are older, more mature and todays new Corvette, Porsche and Ferrari prices are out of the reach of young adult buyers.

There is no push inside the Insurance Industry to make a move against todays crop of Porsche, Corvettes, Ferraris
    like there was in the early 70's.

There is no spike in insurance industry death and injury statistics to motivate them to do so.

Take a course if you want to, complain that some posers cant drive, blah blah, but there is nothing in insurance actuarial tables that points to todays "missile" cars,
    as Nick calls them, to be any more of a problem than Uncle Festus in a Ford Focus.

IMO, absurd to require addtl training for buyers of upscale, high-powered cars

Based upon the relatively cheap premiums major ins cos. charge to insure $150K+ new cars, I suspect the vast majority of buyers of these new cars (used car buyers tend to be a "different" demographic ) actually have much cleaner driving records/claims hx than many ostensibly "normal", safe middle-class (or below) drivers.....

Have rarely seen new $150K+ cars being driven irresponsibly (briskly, yes, but in a very safe, alert manner)....I suspect Darwinian selection is reasonably efficient....most guys who can afford these cars have decent risk-reward judgement...and, if they don't, and have a crash vs someone w/fewer bucks, at least in US, plenty of hungry personal injury lawyers will release them of a chunk of their assets (after all, most ambitious ambulance chasers want to move up from mere F's to NetJets )....and risk of vehicular manslaughter charges in any accid involving excess speed is another poss deterrant to most....

More worrisome are those with "less to lose"....the guy tailgating/weaving in/out of lanes at 100MPH+ in a rusty SUV/pickup, perhaps late to work at McD's/WalMart/BestBuy...or the drunk guy in the mere 150hp car....likely far more dangerous (and prevalent) scenarios than the typical 40yo tech guy/hedge fund mgr driving to office in his 65/driving his 430Spider on wkend w/wife to dinner....

Lets just ban Subarus and Volvos. That would increase traffic speeds, reduce congestion and improve road safety
    by removing many inattentive, slow and obviously confused drivers.

Warning, This post contains gratuitous sarcasm and irony. It may be objectionable to those without a sense of humor, those with only a literal comprehension of the English language, or those live in Seattle.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Lets just ban Subarus and Volvos. That would increase traffic speeds, reduce congestion and improve road safety

Warning, This post contains gratuitous sarcasm and irony. It may be objectionable to those without a sense of humor, those with only a literal comprehension of the English language, or those live in Seattle.

Add SUVs/pickups to the banned list....and roads will be much safer/faster (or make more select fwys toll roads like NwptCoast's 73 Fwy to "stratify" the traffic flow a bit or charge robust amts for pkg at office garages, ala NYC).....shouldn't those people who can't afford $8/gall fuel or $800/mo office pkg garages be riding trains/buses anyway, like they do in NYC region/London/Euro????

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    harryo2b said:

Actually, I've seen more dangerous drivers driving non-sports cars than the the opposite. How about we require a more stingent driver training for everybody in general, in order to renew one's driver's license?

I agree that there are potentially many issues that could render this requirement ineffective. Are you testing for aptitute in car control, self-restraint, or some combination of both? This may be an instance of trial and error.

The driver's decision making and discretion in real world situations are what is most important in handling such a car. These situations would include handling the car when needing to take evasive maneuvers, managing safe speed for the road/conditions, handling in poor weather, and knowing one's own personal limits.

On the flip side, there are plenty of people of new-Elise owners who did not know how to handle a mid-engined platform with a short wheelbase and subsequently crashed their cars. So some demonstration of what happens with sudden lifting of the throttle (or in this Blue Devil case, sudden or improper use of the throttle).

Seems like this would get into a sticky situation of trying to "babysit" the customer base if people can fail the course. I suspect everyone who have to pass in order to make this fly with the customer base. This also means that its up to the students to take away any lessons to be learned.

- Justin

VK, dont run for office any time soon!

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Add SUVs/pickups to the banned list....and roads will be much safer/faster (or make more select fwys toll roads like NwptCoast's 73 Fwy to "stratify" the traffic flow a bit or charge robust amts for pkg at office garages, ala NYC).....shouldn't those people who can't afford $8/gall fuel or $800/mo office pkg garages be riding trains/buses anyway, like they do in NYC region/London/Euro????

Very true. But don't even try to tell people that, not even here in Europe. It's their right to drive cars, drive them irresponsibly and with hardly any regard for traffic laws other than speed, and to cheer for the police to catch dangerous speeders in their environmentally damaging sports cars.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Very true. But don't even try to tell people that, not even here in Europe. It's their right to drive cars, drive them irresponsibly and with hardly any regard for traffic laws other than speed, and to cheer for the police to catch dangerous speeders in their environmentally damaging sports cars.

Obviously, views of guys who enjoy their high-end cars are by definition those of a small, much-envied/reviled minority...but, generally, guys who can afford $150K+ cars know how to cleverly work around most illogical/real-world situations....

In NYC region (and I suspect London as well), vast majority of those w/resources simply get an S-Class and driver to follow them around town for daily commuting....avoiding hassles of awful traffic and (at least in US) litig risk in event of accid....and those who are car fanatics have wkend houses in places (CA or Munich, etc) where roads (and regional amenities/attractions/weather) are more appropriate anyway....

In SF, have some of fastest urban fwys in world ...and most of guys who can afford to commute in $150K+ cars are workaholics (or 30/40-something yo retirees) anyway....so one often sees very interesting cars being "exercised" in wee hrs of AM as guys blitz into SilicVy offices before the clock-punching crowd..... ....and early wkend AM's offer essentially empty fwys and mtn twisties to "exercise" wkend cars as desired, before the SUV crowd wakes up and takes to the roads.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803836 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266295 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90150 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886019 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834050 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM