Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S

mc3744:

When I bought the Cayenne and the 911 I also got a full insurance coverage (from Porsche) and the Car service agreement (full maintenance coverage). Mostly because I didn't want to have to bother anymore with car issues.

Last week a stone hit my windshield (on the Cayenne) and I called Porsche to arrange for the replacement. I discovered that Porsche's insurance covers up to 1k Euro for "crystals", but the windshield change costs 1,5k. While it's pretty obvious that anyone who spends this kind of money will be able to afford the extra 500 euro, I stil find it quite annoying in principle.
    Don't they know the cost for their own windshields?!? They issue the insurance and then they call me to tell me the cost is higher than their insurance! It's a pretty poor service performance. Wouldn't you say?

On top of that, some of you may remember that after my new TTS got stuck 2 weeks for an unknown problem, they gave me a Porsche watch to apologize for the discomfort.
    I haven't been able to use it since! The watch has a long rubber band that needs to be properly cut.
    Porsche told me to take it to a jeweler. I took it to a jeweler and to a watch shop. The first wasn't able, the second told me they knew the watch, that it was complicated and to take it back to Porsche.
    As you can imagine I can devote only so much time to the watch ;) I took it back to Porsche and asked them to kindly find a way or to keep it. It's been two months since I "got it", Porsche is still "working on it" :D

They don't really seem to grasp the concept of luxury service, do they?
    But maybe I'm just too spoiled :)

Sorry to hear about the annoyances regarding the windshield and the watch. The watch story is actually funny...and sad at the same time. They give you a gift and then you are on your own. Nice. Smiley This is Porsche Italy, trust me. I couldn't be happier with Porsche Germany and since they read this stuff here, maybe it helps your problem(s) a little bit too.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

SuzyF:
    Cocodrilo:

I personally disagree. I saw an orange 12C and a white 991TT side by side at the dealer and mostly everybody (surprise!) concurred the 991TT is the prettier one.  I was even offered a good deal for the 12C but it doesn't bring me any emotion to be honest. Far from a 458 too. You need a PhD just to get in and out of the car. Sorry.

+991!

Two completely different cars for completely different people. Personally, i would be embarresed driving a McLaren. Smiley

thats kind of a bit rude, but you are forgivenSmiley

--

2011 CTT, 2013 12C Spider, 2013 A5 cab, 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

RC:
    Hank:

RC, I know of at least one, very reputable, tuner that is building an exhaust for the 991 TTS that should improve, dramatically, the exhaust note as well as add HP gains.  Given you geographic location, are you working with or know of other, experienced - credible, tuners working on the same?  

As far as I know (and heard), a tuner could not only achieve a better sound but also raise power by aprox. 20 hp (torque of course would be increased too) without any ECU mods. The problem for Porsche seems to be based on legal grounds, not technical issues. Due to the unique VTG charger characteristics, the sound would be too loud for certification. Porsche is not a very small manufacturer, so they have to fully meet the legal noise emissions standards.

So from a technical point of view, nothing speaks against a sport exhaust from a reputable exhaust manufacturer but you still need to be aware that the warranty for the car could be voided.

I would go with Akrapovic if they decide to offer one. I heard a rumor that they actually were participating in the testing of a titan exhaust for the 991 Turbo S without the necessary (legal certification) result. However, they could offer one as a third party supplier, which unfortunately still affects the warranty.

You usually get what you pay for, just keep that in mind. A 991 Turbo S sport exhaust won't be cheap, especially if it uses a flap system.

True, you do get what you pay for. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'll keep you informed of what I'm seeing on this side of the pond. 

SuzyF:
    Cocodrilo:

I personally disagree. I saw an orange 12C and a white 991TT side by side at the dealer and mostly everybody (surprise!) concurred the 991TT is the prettier one.  I was even offered a good deal for the 12C but it doesn't bring me any emotion to be honest. Far from a 458 too. You need a PhD just to get in and out of the car. Sorry.

+991!

Two completely different cars for completely different people. Personally, i would be embarresed driving a McLaren. Smiley

interesting suzy. would you also be embarrassed to be seen in designer clothes instead of H&M stuff? just wondering...

andyFE:
    SuzyF:
    Cocodrilo:

+991!

interesting suzy. would you also be embarrassed to be seen in designer clothes instead of H&M stuff? just wondering...

So, the choice is between this ("designer clothes"),

or this ("H&M stuff")?

andyFE:
    SuzyF:
    Cocodrilo:

+991!

So you compare the McLaren with designer clothes?  Also interesting. Smiley

But yes, there are some designer clother that I would also be embarrassed to wear. BTW, with embarrassed I mean "not being comfortable". Not sure if you did understand it the way I intended it... Or maybe I didn't say it in correct english. Smiley It's too flashy for me, just like some designer clothes Smiley

The exact same goes for a GT3. Great car, but I wouldn't want to drive it here in town.  Difference is that I like the looks of the GT3, but I don 't like the looks if the McLaren, but that's a different story. That's a matter of taste... But in general, I don't like the brand McLaren, in the same way that I also don't like most japanese or french brands. Just a personal preference I guess. 

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

@apias: LOL! That's a very good point you make there!!  That's exactly the kind of designer clothes I would feel embarrassed to wear!! (Besides the fact that I had to get up half an hour early to draw myself a mustache!)  

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basaltblack metallic
    2012 Audi SQ5 TDI | Lavagrey metallic

nice H&M stuff. porsche should hire their designer. even if he knowns nothing about cars, he might do better than the TTS design team.

andyFE:

nice H&M stuff. porsche should hire their designer. even if he knowns nothing about cars, he might do better than the TTS design team.

The H&M stuff is by Versace. The TTS design team did a fine job, too.

But, just as you think the TTS is 'ugly', some may find the McLaren equally unattractive to them. It, obviously, really comes down to a matter of taste.

However, you may notice in the above example, the "designer" outfit is garishly outlandish, while the H&M stuff is classic but sexy.

. BTW, with embarrassed I mean "not being comfortable". Not sure if you did understand it the way I intended it... Or maybe I didn't say it in correct english. Smiley It's too flashy for me, just like some designer clothes

I already figured that and thats why you were forgivenSmiley

--

2011 CTT, 2013 12C Spider, 2013 A5 cab, 2014 4Runner Trail Edition

I am sorry but I do not find the 991 Turbo S to be ugly. On the contrary. the 991 Turbo S actually carries on the typical 911 Turbo look and it does it with a much cleaner design language than the 997 Turbo S for example.

Those who don't like the 991 Turbo S look usually also don't like the 911 too much, so why bother?!

The 12C design also follows a certain tradition (F1) but it is too exotic for many people, including myself. This is the same reason I would never go for a 458 for example but I could imagine driving a FF or the F12. If I would want an exotic, there is nothing more beautiful than the Aventador in my opinion. Even the new Huracan cannot keep up but apparently I'm the only one thinking that. 

So while we can argue about tastes and personal preferences, I don't think the word ugly can be used for a 991 Turbo S. My wife and her girlfriends are very design oriented and all of them actually think the Turbo S is quite good looking. Surprisingly, they love the "big butt" most and I always thought this is a men thing. indecision

Regarding designers and their clothes: Many clothes used in cat walk runs are usually not clothes you can really buy and wear, they are supposed to send a message to potential buyers, the final products usually look a little bit more civil. Not that you cannot buy the extreme stuff too...if you really want to make an ass out of yourself. angry

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

The 12C design also follows a certain tradition (F1) but it is too exotic for many people, including myself. This is the same reason I would never go for a 458 for example but I could imagine driving a FF or the F12. If I would want an exotic, there is nothing more beautiful than the Aventador in my opinion. Even the new Huracan cannot keep up but apparently I'm the only one thinking that. 

I agree 100%. I'm actually surprised given that we are discussing taste angel

andyFE:

Taste is subjective.

Your constant bashing of the Turbo and its design is borderline offensive.

You're free not to like the TTS; but this is your own subjective view. I, for one, love how the 991 TT looks.

Coming to the 991TT thread within a Porsche forum to repeatedly post derisive and unconstructive comments on the TT is trolling.

No one forces you to buy a TT or any 911 if you don't like them. Please stop polluting this thread.

FlatSix911:
    andyFE:

Taste is subjective.

You're free not to like the TTS; but this is your own subjective view. I, for one, love how the 991 TT looks.

Coming to the 991TT thread within a Porsche forum to repeatedly post derisive and unconstructive comments on the TT is trolling.

No one forces you to buy a TT or any 911 if you don't like them. Please stop polluting this thread.

If you wouldn't have said it, I would have soon. Thank you. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    FlatSix911:
    andyFE:

Taste is subjective.

c'mon guys, a little bit of Porsche bashing is good for the forum. It would other wise get too boring and , in a democracy,  you need to hear the minorities too .

andyFE is not letting go, I agree, and it is very constant, but at the same time he has not been insulting . Just ignore and don't respond to the comments that ''get you '' .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Cargraphic have announced their performance exhaust offerings for the 991 turbo/S. I have one of their flap exhausts (albeit with 100 cell cats) and they are excellent quality.

http://www.cargraphicts.com/index.php?id=160909&L=1

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over

TB993tt:

Cargraphic have announced their performance exhaust offerings for the 991 turbo/S. I have one of their flap exhausts (albeit with 100 cell cats) and they are excellent quality.

I agree, my experience with a Cargraphic exhaust on two different Turbo models has been very positive. Smiley

Not sure about how their flap system works, if it works together with the OEM flap control or not. This is something I didn't really get but I will find out.

--

Gnil:

c'mon guys, a little bit of Porsche bashing is good for the forum. It would other wise get too boring and , in a democracy,  you need to hear the minorities too .

andyFE is not letting go, I agree, and it is very constant, but at the same time he has not been insulting . Just ignore and don't respond to the comments that ''get you '' .

There is criticism, there is bashing and there is trolling. I can accept one and two (up to a limit) but in no way can I accept number three. So if the bashing gets border line to trolling, the fun is over.  Smiley

--

some 1 called me from porsche germany asking for my address .. they told me there is surprise gift for me !!

any ideas ?? what is it going to be .. coz they didnt wanna tell me on phone :) 

sulaiman:

some 1 called me from porsche germany asking for my address .. they told me there is surprise gift for me !!

This is weird. Why would someone from Porsche Germany call you? Smiley Or is this some sort of special thingie for Kuwait customers? Smiley I don't have a clue. Have you asked your dealer?

Regarding the Cargraphic exhaust: I just got the information that they received test units, the development apparently isn't finished, TÜV certification isn't finished either. It may take a little while longer but this is valid for German systems only. Export versions could be already available (no information here).

--

sulaiman:

Sounds like some sort of possible scam to me. Yes, I'm the suspicious type, but your dealer must have your address, so, if Porsche Germany got your phone number from them, why couldn't they get the address at the same time?

Then again, scams like this happen all the time in the US, maybe not so much in Kuwait.

apias:
    sulaiman:

Sounds like some sort of possible scam to me. Yes, I'm the suspicious type, but your dealer must have your address, so, if Porsche Germany got your phone number from them, why couldn't they get the address at the same time?

Then again, scams like this happen all the time in the US, maybe not so much in Kuwait.

That was also my first thought, but I assume that Sulaiman has already done some kind of mental "plausibility check" and not passed on any sensitive information.  Smiley 

--

fritz

TB993tt:

Porsche warranty concerns?

actually they  asked for my address to confirm it  .... hmmm what kind of scam ?? they lost the call charge international charge plus they didnt get any info new to them 

sulaiman:

actually they  asked for my address to confirm it  .... hmmm what kind of scam ?? they lost the call charge international charge plus they didnt get any info new to them 

Well, it could well be legit, after all, who would know that you have a Porsche and know your phone number. And, your address is not the most sensitive piece of data. Probably nothing to worry about.

But, in the US, at least, these kinds of things happen frequently. People will call claiming to be calling from your bank, insurance company, etc., asking you to "confirm" your date of birth, social security number, etc. Usually, in these instances, "confirm" actually means they want you to tell it to them, and, sometimes, these calls are even automated. And, the caller IDs on these calls are usually either garbage or forged.

I make it a habit not to give out any personal information over the phone unless I initiate the call to a known number (My CC company drives me crazy with "Fraud Alert" calls where they ask me to call some number I've never heard of. I always ignore that and call the number on the card.) or can positively identify the caller (by recognizing their voice).

lets just wait and see 

1 promise i will post a picture of what ever i get ..so lets make it surprise for rennteam :P 

Gnil:
    RC:
    FlatSix911:
    andyFE:

Taste is subjective.

thanks. i have never purposely insulted anybody in this forum. instead i have said repeatedly that the TTS is a great car and a wonderful technological achievement. i just react - maybe too strongly - when people discuss its esthetics and do comparisons with supercars. i am still young ( < 100 ::::)))) and have time to learn::::)))

smileyThe TTS is a supercar by all means. If you look closely, it's not the "beefed up beetle" anymore. Far from it. It's longer, flatter, and wider. Many reviews I read do mention the word supercar when referring to the TT.  I even asked around my office, 9 out of 10 said a supercar best describes it. Just because the TT does not have scissors doors doesn't mean it's not a supercar. Just my .02.

--

2014 991 Turbo (on order, Nov Prod)
    2012 991 C2S w/Fabspeed SOLD
    2011 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Mondiale / cuoio
    2011 Turbo S Cab SOLD
    2010 BMW AH7 
    2010 Caddy Escalade
    2006 Cayman S First P car, SOLD

To me, the "squashed beetle" look of the 911 is an inherent part of the car's long, fascinating and wonderful history.

I think it is part of the 911's timeless charm.

That the 991 TTS may be considered the "ultimate squashed beetle" only adds to this charm for mewink

Luckily the 911 almost completely lost its squashed beetle look with the switch to the 991!

For me it's a design masterpiece in all its variations , normal, turbo, gt3 or targa. The 991 version added an aestetic finesse and 'design independence' that the previous versions simply didn't have.

i am quite horrified though at the idea that the 991.2 we are seeing on the spy pics is probably reverting back to the droopy look of the backlights (Tränensäcke!) . Hope it doesnt turn out too bad....

--

turbolite

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690435 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409719 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255942 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858378 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774646 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM