Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Le Mans 2013

Porsche looking pretty good on the first day of the fortnight!  I thought I'd open a thread to cover the race this year...

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Re: Le Mans 2013

I have heard that they have the new engine in the car. I'm trying to find confirmation.

Also- SuperSports will be covering it again this year. (SS6)

LMTest2013_2_46.jpg1370779115430LMTest2013_2_87.jpg

Smiley

Spyderidol:

I have heard that they have the new engine in the car. I'm trying to find confirmation.

What do you mind with 'new engine'? Still the Mezger, right?

What network will transmit this race in the USA?

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

Porker:
    Spyderidol:

No - There is tremendous confusion around this, and I am still trying to get to the bottom of this, If it does prove to be true , then Porsche are running the new GT3 based engine. (non-Mezger)

Porsche 991 RSR at Le Mans test...

Porsche 991 RSR at Le Mans test -- Gallery Link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Seems likely as apart from the AMR cars, the Porsches are firmly entrenched in 2nd place in both the Pro and Am classes - with the Ferraris at the bottom in both.   Which kinda suggests how this all doesn't work, but at least it's the turn of the leaping horse this time!

--

Don't read too much into these times (except for Aston , which will be the fastest in both GT classes) The Ferrari's will be right up at the front in 2 weeks.

Spyderidol:
    Porker:
    Spyderidol:

No - There is tremendous confusion around this, and I am still trying to get to the bottom of this, If it does prove to be true , then Porsche are running the new GT3 based engine. (non-Mezger)

That is interesting! Let me know if you have any news!

LE MANS: Audi Sets Pace In LM24 Test...

Date: 06/09/2013

Audi kicked off its 24 Hours of Le Mans title defense in dominant fashion, sweeping the three quickest times in Sunday’s official test day.

After crashing his Audi R18 e-tron quattro under wet conditions in the morning, Loic Duval redeemed himself by topping the overall time sheets by the end of the day.

Duval reeled off a 3:22.583 in his repaired No. 2 Audi, with just minutes remaining on the clock in the eight-hour wet-turned-dry test.

The Frenchman, who shares the wheel with eight-time Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen and Scotland’s Allan McNish, outpaced the No. 3 Audi of Lucas Di Grassi by a considerable 2.775 seconds. Di Grassi also recorded his time late in the session.

Duval’s accident, which came at the exit of Tetre Rouge, occured mid-morning and took the diesel-powered LMP1 contender out of action until the start of the second session in the afternoon.

Despite the incident, it was a banner day for the German manufacturer, which showed its pace over rival Toyota in both in wet and dry conditions.

The quickest of the Toyota TS030 Hybrids was the No. 8 machine of Stephane Sarrazin, who set a 3:27.581 in his gasoline-powered prototype, which has gained 3 liters of additional fuel capacity.

Sarrazin split the Audi brigade, as the No. 4 R18 of Marco Bonanomi, running to a tire development program, was fifth overall with a 3:27.894.

Both Toyotas, however, showed considerably less speed than the R18s. Sarrazin’s entry was nearly five seconds slower than Duval’s pace-setting time. The No. 8 Toyota completed more laps (73) than the No. 2 Audi (51 laps) over the day.

LMP2 was led by OAK Racing’s Olivier Pla, who put up a 3:38.801 lap time late in the session. The Frenchman, piloting the No. 24 Morgan-Nissan, denied the pair of Signatech Alpine-Nissans from a 1-2 result in class.

Nelson Panciatici recorded the best time of the Alpines with a 3:39.642, ahead of the sister No. 37 car, which sits as the remaining reserve entrant for this year’s race.

Quickest of the non-French efforts was the No. 36 G-Drive Racing by Delta-ADR Oreca 03 Nissan of John Martin with 3:41.259. Martin’s co-driver, Detroit IndyCar winner Mike Conway, was one of nearly two-dozen Le Mans rookies to record their 10 minimum laps needed to qualify for the race.

In addition to Duval’s crash, a number of other drivers were caught out by the changing track conditions.

Most notably was Giancarlo Fisichella, who binned his No. 51 AF Corse Ferrari F458 Italia at Mulsanne Corner just moments after topping the time charts in GTE-Pro.

Fisichella’s Prancing Horse, nor the No. 32 Lotus T128 of Dominik Kraihamer or No. 57 Krohn Racing Ferrari of Tracy Krohn, returned to action after suffering accidents of their own in the afternoon, which all brought out red flags.

Aston Martin Racing led the way in both GTE-Pro and GTE-Am, with a dominant 1-2 performance in both categories for its factory Vantage V8s.

A late 3:58.806 lap time by Peter Dumbreck put the No. 97 entry atop the sheets in GTE-Pro, while Jamie Campbell-Walter’s 4:00.867 in the No. 96 Aston, running to 2012 specification, paced GTE-Am.

While it may have appeared to be an Aston whitewash, the four-hour afternoon session saw cars from Ferrari, Corvette and Porsche top the time sheets at one point in GTE-Pro.

The two Porsche AG Team Manthey Porsche 911 RSRs were 3rd and 4th quickest in class, with the No. 73 Corvette Racing C6.R the best of the American contingent, completing the top-5.

The debuting SRT Motorsports Viper GTS-Rs wound up 9th and 10th, respectively, with the No. 93 entry ending up just shy of three seconds slower than the leading Aston’s time.

Weather conditions during the day were challenging at times, with most teams not achieving their objectives during the one-and-only testing opportunity on the 8.5-mile Circuit de la Sarthe.

Nonetheless, with the test in the books, all focus turns to the start of race week activities, beginning with scrutineering on June 16-17, followed by practice and qualifying on June 19-20.

The 90th anniversary 24 Hours of Le Mans takes the green light on Saturday June 22.

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Nothing much in this photo that looks like my 911 (or anyone's 991s'?)!

--

Budster:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Nothing much in this photo that looks like my 911 (or anyone's 991s'?)!

I believe that it is fair for all gt cars;)

--

sportcars-history.com

Why the dominance in the times for Aston Martin?  Less restrictions??

--

2011 Porsche Carrera 4S Platinum Silver (sold)
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS Basalt Black

2013 Porsche Carrera S GT Silver

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” 
    ― Bob Marley

Porker:
    Spyderidol:
    Porker:
    Spyderidol:

I'd be very surprised if it is a different engine but I can ask.

I'm driving in car 75, 991 GT3 RSR, today was important as I had to do my 10 mandatory laps to cary on next week, mission accomplished despite the difficult conditions. It got dryer towards the end of the day and we put on slicks, awesome track. The 991 is the quickest GT which is surprising, 291 kmh I think or something like that.

Porker, text me when you get there, we'll hang out during qualifying, I'll get you in our box, the race will be too hectic. We are in box 56.

The atmosphere is epic, and this is only the test day. 

Living the dream, drove the McLaren F1 GTR to Le Mans, lent it to the museum because they wanted some artcars for the presentation of the New OAK racing car and then it will stay at the musee des 24h for the summer. 

EPIC, to drive to Le Mans in a car that did 24h in 1995... to take part in the 24h of 2013. I need a reality check.

PS: The P1s, Audis, Toyotas and Rebellion and F... Fast! And you can't see shit once they overtake you in the rain with their massive diffuser. So impressive!

Now that's a proper way to participate!

You never cease to amase me. Have a good race.

Very curious about that engine too...

Futch:

I'm driving in car 75, 991 GT3 RSR, today was important as I had to do my 10 mandatory laps to cary on next week, mission accomplished despite the difficult conditions. It got dryer towards the end of the day and we put on slicks, awesome track. The 991 is the quickest GT which is surprising, 291 kmh I think or something like that.

Porker, text me when you get there, we'll hang out during qualifying, I'll get you in our box, the race will be too hectic. We are in box 56.

Living the dream, drove the McLaren F1 GTR to Le Mans, lent it to the museum because they wanted some artcars for the presentation of the New OAK racing car and then it will stay at the musee des 24h for the summer. 

EPIC, to drive to Le Mans in a car that did 24h in 1995... to take part in the 24h of 2013. I need a reality check.

Porsche 911 RSR number 75 looking good at Le Mans! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Spyderidol:
    Porker:

When they use the 9A1 for the RSR, I sure hope they keep using the individual throttle body fuel injection (six velocity stacks with six separate throttles).  And I would LOVE to see this system on the next 991 RS road car!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Futch:

PS: The P1s, Audis, Toyotas and Rebellion and F... Fast! And you can't see shit once they overtake you in the rain with their massive diffuser. So impressive!

So happy for you to be able to drive the F1 to Le Mans. About the only way to top it is to drive a lap of the circuit in the F1 :) 

ag23:

Why the dominance in the times for Aston Martin?  Less restrictions??

In one word: Yes.

Futch:
    Porker:
    Spyderidol:
    Porker:
    Spyderidol:

Futch- I agree. I'm having a hard time believing this, but the source of the information was The editor of Racecar Engineering (Sam Collins), and in theory he should know what he's talking about. However,  Porsche engines and car designations are very confusion to others (non Porschephiles) and mistakes are common and general confusion usually erupts. I suspect that the waiver he is talking about was the one that allowed Porsche to run the car with a "old" Mezger  engine (albeit re-worked) . I think he thinks that a road going version of this engine will be in the GT3Smiley. However, he did go on to say that it looks like Porsche will re-homologate the entire car for next year. Please let us know what you manage to find out.

Futch:

I'm driving in car 75, 991 GT3 RSR

That´s great news - I wish you all the best for a good result on raceday. Smiley

BlueflameSmiley

Futch:

Very impressive !!!! So happy for you ! You are indeed living the dream . Thank you for sharing . It gets us closer to the ' real thing ' Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Congrats Futch,i will follow you during the race!

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

Amazing news Futch! Wish you everything the best in the race! Will follow you! Are you going to race in Le Mans the next year too?

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

Amazing news Futch! Wish you everything the best in the race! Will follow you! Are you going to race in Le Mans the next year too?

Hopefully yes.

Thanks everyone,

This year is my first time, the objective is to finish the race, make no mistake and improve throughout the 24 hours. If everything goes well, we have a good chance to finish well, Manu is incredibly fast and Seb is a fast learner and quick for an AM.

Will keep you posted.Smiley

Futch:
    kudryavchik:

Hopefully yes.

Thanks everyone,

This year is my first time, the objective is to finish the race, make no mistake and improve throughout the 24 hours. If everything goes well, we have a good chance to finish well, Manu is incredibly fast and Seb is a fast learner and quick for an AM.

I'll be following you guys every step of the way. Best of luck Futch! (racing with Manu must be out of this world!)

Congratulations Futch, and gook luck for the race

Futch:
    kudryavchik:

Hopefully yes.

Thanks everyone,

Fantastic news Futch! Smiley  I'll be watching for you in the race.   Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803594 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448647 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90130 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6673 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885946 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833652 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM