Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster - 987 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster S or Audi S5

Hi friends,

it is time to buy a new car for my wife. 

We have narrowed to few models:

Boxster S 

Audi S5 cabriolet

Audi A5 3.0 TDI cabriolet

BMW Z4 35s

Cayman S

All are around 80.000 € (Audi A5, BMW) to 90.000 € (Boxster S)

What do you think about this cars? Which one would you buy and why?

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Re: Boxster S or Audi S5

Adnan, prvo pozdrav iz hladnog i maglovitog Zagreba. Nadam se da ste familija i ti dobro?

Second, rear seats-a must for your wife? If not, then the choice is easy-either Boxster S or forthcoming Cayman S(I am pressuming that she want new Cayman S?).  In drive dynamics Porsche's are clearly in their own class. They are also pretty suited for daily use.

On the other hand if she plans to use it all year/all weather then Audi S5 Cabrio do make sense IMHO.

Price wise you know situation in Germany far better then I do-ragarding which one is better for rebate etc.

ALDO:

Hi friends,

Boxster S 

Audi S5 cabriolet

BMW Z4 35s

Cayman S

Would you rather have apples or oranges? Smiley

Different cars for different folks. Open top or fixed head? Sports car or more hard core coupe? Two seats or 2 + 2?

All good cars - try 'em all and see which is most liked......

--

Accountants are like fire and water, good servants but bad masters.

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

I changed my 987.1 Boxster S for an S5 cabrio. Both are great cars with good performance and handling. The S5 offers (a lot) more comfort than the Boxster. On the other hand, few cars can enter a corner as precise and quick as the Boxster.

With the top up the S5 feels more like a coupe with a metal roof, while the Boxster still feels like a cabrio. With the top up the windnoise at higher speeds (+200km/h) is a lot louder in the Boxster. With the top down there is less wind in S5. Last weekend we were in Germany and did 220km/h with the top down. Could hardly notice any wind or noise. With the Boxster that would look like you spent a night sleeping in a wind tunnel indecision

For more spirited driving the Boxster certainly wins. While the straightline performance feel equal, the cornering capabilities and balance of the Boxster is superior. In this sense the S5 feels more like an oil tanker. Serious amount of understeer (as with most Audi quattro cars).

If you don't need the rear seats and don't intend to use the car every day all-year-round then I would take the Boxster. Otherwise the S5.

I am very happy with the change and don't miss the Boxster (but I have a 911 to make up for the loss). The supercharged V6 in the S5 is a sweet engine. Plenty of low-end torque and revving freely to the redline. The S-tronic gearbox in the S5 is the same design as the PDK (it was specifically designed by Audi for the S5). It is very, very quick and suits the engine well. Downshifts with the paddles will cause a stupid grin on your face indecision Four adults sit well without feeling cramped. The ability to fold the rear seats makes it very functional if you need to transport stuff, e.g. skis or snowboards.

So, it all comes down to what you want kiss

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

Audi S5 cabrio in Ibis White with black leather interior.

Ok Cayman is different  story and the car which I would buy as last.

All other cars a woman cars. My wife will drive it the whole year. To be honest - my wife would be satisfied with 250 hp. It is me who would like to have >300 hp.

I think that the S5 is the best:
    - two rear seats - even if we don´t need them so often
    - better luggage space - golf bag will fit in - Boxster no chance
    - more silent when driving longer
    - better equipment

The A5 has a better value in terms of resale and less consumption - I hate the diesel sound but I love the torque

Boxster - looks so nice - white with red interior
    - better sound - with sport exhaust
    - better handling - do we need this in a city?
    - more sporty and faster 

BMW Z4 - I am not sure about this car.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

For a wife out of the 5 options,  I'd get the Audi TDI cabrio.

More passenger and shopping space than the 2-seaters, significantly less fuel consumption than the S5, but still sufficiently speedy in any environment and stylish too. Get one in white.

The S5 is AWD which could be an advantage but it is still not a go-anywhere SUV. Front WD and winters tyres should work perfectly I suppose, unless your route is very treacherous.

Anyway, no matter what we say the wife's opinion and taste would count for most.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

For a wife out of the 5 options,  I'd get the Audi TDI cabrio.

SWMBO would have the Boxster.......Smiley

--

Accountants are like fire and water, good servants but bad masters.

Porsche 997 Carrera S PDK Aqua Blue / Black - Toyota Yaris D4D  "Clockwork Rat"

reginos:

Anyway, no matter what we say the wife's opinion and taste would count for most.

Happy wife, husband at peace Smiley

By the way, the S5 if used as daily commuter by my girlfriend. We test drove the A5 2.0 FSI back to back with the S5. She was in favor of the S5 after that Smiley

Fuel consumption is very much down to driving style. If you drive the S5 normal it is not too bad. If you drive it like a man, then it gets pretty thirsty...

--

Porsche 997 Carrera S in Carrara White with black leather interior. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

The 3.0 TDI offers stronger performance than the 2.0 FSI and it goes like a train on the motorway

Also you could order quattro AWD or FWD, so there is a choice. The drawback of FWD is traction in some geographical areas AND the Multitronic transmission, which for me is not good at all. The quattro models come with DCT.

--

"Form follows function"

I have a problem with a diesel cabrio angry

--

My take on this:

YES: Boxster S / Audi S5 cabriolet depends on what she wants.

NO: Audi A5 3.0 TDI cabriolet, BMW Z4 35s, Cayman S because the other two cars are much better IMO.

--

There is no try. Just do.

Our rankig for now:

1. Audi S5, glacier white metallic and ???

2. Boxster S, white and red leather

3. Audi A5 3.0 TDI 245 hp

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

It's for you and the wife= S5 all the way. I also think its a good priced car.

Good luck.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

If you will go with the S5 route, I have only one advice:  order it with the sports seat because the standard seats (that I unfortunately have on my S4) are rubbish, the worst seats I have ever had in a car. (I did not have the chance to test drive the car before i ordered it). Otherwise I believe it is a very fine and understated car but not really special compared to the Boxster. 

--

911 Club Coupe, 72' 911 Targa 2.4 S, 12' Audi S4 Avant

m4ever:

If you will go with the S5 route, I have only one advice:  order it with the sports seat because the standard seats (that I unfortunately have on my S4) are rubbish, the worst seats I have ever had in a car. (I did not have the chance to test drive the car before i ordered it). Otherwise I believe it is a very fine and understated car but not really special compared to the Boxster. 

--

The sports seats seams to be good enough.

I think it will be the S5. With the Boxster you can´t take your golf bag with you. All of us 4 a playing golf. My first son has his own car, so my wife needs to drive our second son sometimes with his and sometimes with even two golf bags. That´s only possible with the Audi.

Also I think I have to order all the Audi performance packages: sport differantial, dumper control,drive select, ... 

I don´t know about the dynamic steering option. Is this a must have option?

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

ALDO:

Hi friends,

Boxster S 

Audi S5 cabriolet

BMW Z4 35s

Cayman S

My wife always loved the Boxster, she owned a Boxster S for three years and just recently drove the new Boxster S again and loved it. The only downside of the Boxster: Only two seats. This is why this car is a no-go for us.

The fact that you are throwing in the A5 3.0TDi Cab actually confuses me. Either your wife likes powerful cars or not.

The BMW Z4 35s is a nice roadster but I never had the feeling that women appreciated it, I see mainly male drivers.

The Cayman S is not really a car for a woman, women love cabs and the Boxster is a Cayman without a roof. Smiley

I guess the BMW dealer offers the best deal but I would go with the Boxster.

Golf bags? Better golf clubs offer a storage. Why not use it?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

ALDO:
    m4ever:

--

The sports seats seams to be good enough.

I think it will be the S5. With the Boxster you can´t take your golf bag with you. All of us 4 a playing golf. My first son has his own car, so my wife needs to drive our second son sometimes with his and sometimes with even two golf bags. That´s only possible with the Audi.

Also I think I have to order all the Audi performance packages: sport differantial, dumper control,drive select, ... 

I don´t know about the dynamic steering option. Is this a must have option?

I cannot comment on the dynamic steering since I don`t have this option. I do have the drive select with the adaptive damping  and sport differential. The first one is more useful than the second one unless you drive often in a sportive manner on winding roads (which I don`t do so often) . I say this because if you happen to drive on less than perfect roads then it is useful to have the possibility to adjust the damping and have a more confortable ride. Drive Select also leaves you the chance to influence the gearbox selection speed and response to the accelerator which changes quite sharply based on the setting you select. 

The S4/S5 engine is very very good and enjoyable, I used to have as a daily driver a 335i and while that was a good engine , this one I believe is superior in terms of low end torque and sound. I always have the impression I have an 8 cylinder engine in the hood such is the low end push. The S-tronic gearbox also works well both in confort mode and very fast in sport mode.  Hope this helps (a little bit) Smiley

--

RC:
    ALDO:

Hi friends,

Boxster S 

Audi S5 cabriolet

BMW Z4 35s

Cayman S

My wife always loved the Boxster, she owned a Boxster S for three years and just recently drove the new Boxster S again and loved it. The only downside of the Boxster: Only two seats. This is why this car is a no-go for us.

The fact that you are throwing in the A5 3.0TDi Cab actually confuses me. Either your wife likes powerful cars or not.

The BMW Z4 35s is a nice roadster but I never had the feeling that women appreciated it, I see mainly male drivers.

The Cayman S is not really a car for a woman, women love cabs and the Boxster is a Cayman without a roof. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC,

a bag storage isn´t a problem - we have one. But there are other courses around us :)

The TDI 3.0 with 245 hp is a powerful car with a lot of torque - the only problem is the "D" - for me.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

The TDI 3.0 with 245 hp has a lot of torque, indeed but it only feels powerful, especially over 140 kph. Same illusion the Cayenne Diesel provides. However, my wife just got herself the X3 35d, so I shouldn't judge. 

I understand the issues with the golf bags, maybe you should check out this training video. indecision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5KT01b-YCA

--

RC:

The TDI 3.0 with 245 hp has a lot of torque, indeed but it only feels powerful, especially over 140 kph. Same illusion the Cayenne Diesel provides. However, my wife just got herself the X3 35d, so I shouldn't judge. 

I understand the issues with the golf bags, maybe you should check out this training video. indecision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5KT01b-YCA

OK - never have tried it this way Smiley

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

RC:

--

Word!

My exwife loved her Boxster (and looked lovely in it). Awesome car for women, IMHO. If rear seats are not needed, I would go for it.

With rear seats... maybe it's a little bit oversized, but have you thought about a BMW 6 series convertible? In Germany I've seen lease rates way below Boxster offerings from Porsche Financial...

Having driven the BoxsterS recently I think it the most complete sports car on offer. Serious fun with the sports exhaust option. Here in the USA a well optioned Boxster S is the same price ($75,000 ) as an Audi RS5 . It also has a nice song but a little heavy for  for handling and hard suspension and irritating drive select options. But what an engine engine  (8000 + rpm ) !

Both cars with full options cost nearly the same over 3 years calculated.

Boxtser S around 90.000 €

Audi S5 around 81.000 €.

Audi RS5 cabrio would be over 100.000 € with the same options. 

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

While the RS5 engine is sweet I don't think the V8's high revving character fits the car. It is too heavy and comfortable to be paired with such a sporty engine. The supercharged V6 with low rpm torque fits better and is more practical for city driving.

--

You can over rationalize the decision. My advice is to let her drive the cars and choose which she like best. Feeding her all these other considerations could lead to disenchantment if she buys something she ends up not liking.

THis much I know. My wife would not give up her Boxster S for any other car.

--

bluelines:

While the RS5 engine is sweet I don't think the V8's high revving character fits the car. It is too heavy and comfortable to be paired with such a sporty engine. 

This is exactly what a deceived owner of the RS5 told me last week 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    bluelines:

While the RS5 engine is sweet I don't think the V8's high revving character fits the car. It is too heavy and comfortable to be paired with such a sporty engine. 

But surely this is what some buyers will look for. I love those Audi engine growls.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:
    Gnil:
    bluelines:

But surely this is what some buyers will look for. I love those Audi engine growls.

Yes, I am sure it is, but... firstly I think the character suits the R8 platform a lot better than the A5 platform. Secondly, I expected more from the RS5 cabrio. Sure, it has 117 HP more than the S5, but it is also down 10 Nm torque compared to the S5. The straightline performance is not hugely different. With factory claimed numbers the RS5 is half a second quicker to 100 km/h. I have only read one test of the RS5 cabrio and the conclusion was pretty much the same as what I wrote above - An unfortunate pairing of car and engine.

For everyday driving it is a lot more useful with low-end torque rather than redline power... and for redline power the car is too heavy at 1.9 ton. It is not a car that you throw at the curves like a 911, Boxster or R8. Too soft and too much understeer to enjoy.

...but of course I totally agree that naturally aspirated V8 growl is intoxicating and a lot more impressive than the supercharged V6 blower Smiley

Side note, I read that the Swiss official Audi importer AMAG is cooperating with the German ABT tuning (they even moved into the same building here in Zürich). This means AMAG can modify your car with ABT parts without voiding the warranty. The ABT S5 cabrio is rated at 435 HP and 520 Nm torque. It is a whole second faster to 100 km/h than the standard S5 and the top speed is 280+ km/h. The new RS5 cannot keep up with those numbers. 

--

throt:
    Gnil:
    bluelines:

The problem is that you have to look for the HP very high in the revs  .... So when do you actually do that with a car aimed to drive on public roads.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Good points guys.

@ ALDO, have you considered the M3. Should pick up a bargain on the last run of the v8 before the new 6 cylinder comes out. Here in the UK there doing some nice deals at the moment and that's on all M3 models, 500 edition, frozen edition etc etc..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803355 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448612 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266183 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90092 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6643 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885798 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833415 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM