Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Evoluzione Version of the Modena? New infos!

1. introduction 2004
    2. power around 450 HP
    3. front air inlets oval shaped
    4. rear lights Enzo-like
    5. model name xxx Evoluzione

Little side note: this actually is supposed to be the 360 successor!

Re: Evoluzione Version of the Modena? New infos!

Well, I know its going to be light but, 450bhp?

What good is that these days? Its like "nearly" winning Le Mans or "nearly" being 6 feet tall, what good is 450bhp, when a 208mph 4 door saloon car has 500BHP?

Bilal, Ferraris are unique cars. Even with only 400hp and on a straight autobahn you have more fun than in a 600hp+ amg mercedes. Everything is unique, sound, handling, feeling

I am convinced that the modena evolutione with 450hp will be a phantastic car. Apart from that, it will also be as fast or faster in straight line acceleration as an sl55 or similar

Of course I absolutely concur, Ferrari's Porsches and Lambos are truly unique, that sensation of driving is purely unrivalled.

(just like to add, its unbelievable everyone can recognise an AMG car these days just by the top speed and Hp)

Bilal, do you have a girl friend?

Let me put it this way: there is a beautiful woman but she looks boring, beautiful but not special, perfect body but no real special things. Now imagine that beautiful woman, with a special nose, a special voice, a special body with a little bit more rear and front than a super model, that special walk and that special move of the hips and that special look and that special scent of her skin. Now here is where the difference between a AMG Mercedes and a Ferrari lies. No doubt, AMG Mercedes cars are fast and some of them are beautiful too but there is something special about Ferrari or Porsche which can't be decribed in words. You have to touch and feel it (ehmmmm...to drive and experience it... ) to understand.

I understand what you mean RC.

But sometimes, individuality and choice are very objective matters. Case in point, I like Mercedes-Benz over Porsche/Ferrai, and I know I haven't driven them, but that should change over time, and so will my opinions, we are who we are.

Sometimes its good to choose the one that no-one else picks, simply because you like it better, there are pros and cons of everything, even AMG, but thats life. We all like different things, some of us choose to express that more than others (me)

I'm gonna make you register and sort out some people over at this message board when you read this:

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1023440&mid=1023613&fid=28#M1023613

I quote from the post on that Mercedes Forum which you mentioned:

Quote:
    Well a Porsche is for the track and a SL is for the REAL world.

If you do not track at least 10% of the time then you do not need to be punished by the jarring ride, rattles, and poor driving position. Not to mention poor reliability in the long haul.
    Remember mercedes is engineered by daimler/benz and porsche gets all its basic engineering from volkswagen/audi. That should tell you everything right there.

Seems this guy never drove a Porsche.
    And another thing: since when has the 996 something in common with VW/Audi development? This guy not only never drove a Porsche, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
    The only thing a 996 and VW/Audi have in common is the A/C climate control unit and another A/C part.
    The Cayenne is a different story but this guy was talking about the Boxster and 911.
    And no, VW and Audi have NOTHING to do with Boxster/996 engineering and never had. Seems this guy needs a little bit of insight in Porsche history AND reality. Apparently his mind is clouded by the Mercedes star.

A last example: two Mercedes owners testdrove my 996 Turbo when it was for sale at my Mercedes dealer. Both commented that my car is "undriveable", one of them almost wrecked it. Not everybody is ready to take a challenge and a Porsche is a different kind of machine than a Mercedes.
    Compared to my former 996 Turbo RS-Tuning, my wife's SLK32 AMG feels like a toy car. At age 38 I don't play with toys anymore, I play with real cars.

Thank-you for the information RC:

A few questions:

1. Introduction in 2004...when spring, summer, fall, 12 months is a long time?

2. When would the car be delivered into the US, Fall 2004 or Spring/summer 2005?

3. I am waiting for an April delivery of the Stradale in the US, would you wait the extra months for the new car? My dealer would put me on the list if it were available soon.

Thanks

"A last example: two Mercedes owners testdrove my 996 Turbo when it was for sale at my Mercedes dealer. Both commented that my car is "undriveable", one of them almost wrecked it. Not everybody is ready to take a challenge and a Porsche is a different kind of machine than a Mercedes. "

Is this one of the reasons the SLR is not a supercar?

Quote:
    Is this one of the reasons the SLR is not a supercar?

Of course the SLR is a supersportscar, no doubt about it.
    It seems to feel more connected to the street than the SL according to people who drove it. I didn't have the pleasure yet to drive one but it is also no secret that I don't like it's exterior design and it's weight.
    But nethertheless, the SLR is a supersportscar, no matter what people say. It might be different compared to a Enzo, Carrera GT or even the McLaren F1 but it is a supersportscar.

Oh thank God, finally someone said it!

And I'm glad it was you RC

Gordon Murray at McLaren and his team fought hard for the SLR to be rear mid-engined but since the development bucks flowed from MBZ , they settled on front mid -engined which resulted in that long hood . The McLaren folks admit it's not a Carrera GT or Enzo but is consistant with the Mercedes tradition of being usable daily. Did anyone read Jay Leno's review of the SLR? He and several LA buyers got a chance to drive it over 200 MPH at a test track. He loves it. He has a McLaren F1 and says he will buy anything Gordon Murray designs. He has never been a Ferrari lover ( prefers Lambos ) and says the Enzo is like walking down Main Street wearing a bikini. The article also notes his car collection is worth close to $50 million USD. He's a true nuts and bolts car nut, having worked as a Bentley mechanic is his younger years. He even has hosted a technical car question and answer site on his Tonight Show site , answering questions like ring and pinion repair on '58 Jag or carb synching on a Morgan or Maserati , etc. ! Quite different from usual Hollywood celebs who own expensive sports cars but wouldn't know a brake rotor from a gas cap.
    BTW, competing late night TV host David Letterman is a big Ferrari collector and race team supporter and Jerry Seinfeld whose collection includes the first and last air-cooled 911s is getting the first Carrera GT. Can you imagine a magazine shoot out with Jay and his SLR ; David with his Enzo and Jerry with his C-GT ? The cars seem to fit their owners' personalities.

"Can you imagine a magazine shoot out with Jay and his SLR ; David with his Enzo and Jerry with his C-GT ? The cars seem to fit their owners' personalities."

I can see the porky jay/slr resemblence, and maybe even the outperforming/understated jerry/CGT, but how does the enzo fit in with david?

Quote:
    He has never been a Ferrari lover ( prefers Lambos ) and says the Enzo is like walking down Main Street wearing a bikini.

Prefers Lambos, and says the Enzo is too showy? Who can make sense of that?

Gary

Quote:
    "Can you imagine a magazine shoot out with Jay and his SLR ; David with his Enzo and Jerry with his C-GT ? The cars seem to fit their owners' personalities."

I can see the porky jay/slr resemblence, and maybe even the outperforming/understated jerry/CGT, but how does the enzo fit in with david?

The ENZO is quirky , angry ,taut and angular - like David's personality and physique. The SLR is slick, a bit corpulent, reliable and understandable to the mainstream ,like Jay and his humor. The Carrera GT is trim , avg looks and full of insider/understated car buff " stuff " not as apparant to the casual fan , like Jerry and his style of humor.

New development

One of our european Users just sent me via Fax his (preliminary) order confirmation for the 360 successor.
    The dates are actually 2005 for the coupe and 2006 for the spyder.
    Now I wonder if the Evoluzzione isn't only just a supped up 360 Modena or 360 Challenge.
    Things get more and more confusing.
    Maybe some dealers just don't want to drive away potential 360 customers by telling them the new model is around the corner.

Re: New development

Quote:
    RC said:
    1. introduction 2004
    2. power around 450 HP
    3. front air inlets oval shaped
    4. rear lights Enzo-like
    5. model name xxx Evoluzione

Little side note: this actually is supposed to be the 360 successor!

Quote:
    RC said:
    One of our european Users just sent me via Fax his (preliminary) order confirmation for the 360 successor.
    Now I wonder if the Evoluzzione isn't only just a supped up 360 Modena or 360 Challenge.
    Things get more and more confusing.
    Maybe some dealers just don't want to drive away potential 360 customers by telling them the new model is around the corner.

So what is true now??? RC, you don't seem to be as sure, as you have been some weeks ago, do you?

regards
    sr

BTW: my dealer told me something similar to statement No 2.

I have to rely on the information I get and I try to collect as much information I can. The guy who ordered the Modena successor is a friend and he's not sure his dealer knows what he's talking about or he suspects that the dealer doesn't want to leak out any information because as I said before, nobody would buy a new 360 Modena if the successor is just around the corner. As soon as this guy gets a confirmation from the factory (aprox. delivery date, etc.), I post it here on the forum.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I have to rely on the information I get and I try to collect as much information I can. The guy who ordered the Modena successor is a friend and he's not sure his dealer knows what he's talking about or he suspects that the dealer doesn't want to leak out any information because as I said before, nobody would buy a new 360 Modena if the successor is just around the corner. As soon as this guy gets a confirmation from the factory (aprox. delivery date, etc.), I post it here on the forum.

Thanks, RC, I will be very grateful.
    (Especially, when the 2004 date should be ture ).

best,
    sr

Quote:

i've got a preliminary order confirmation from a german dealer for the 360 successor since spring 2003!!

estimated delivery date is "approx spring 2004". but this says nothing, actually.

btw, hope you all enjoyed very nice christmas!!

here's my latest info on this subject:

BOTH rumours are true!

1. the "evo" version with enzo-ish rear lights, around 450 HP and slight modifications will come in 2004 for sure.

2. the "really new" 360 (probably called "420 monza") will follow 1.5 - 2 years later.

sounds to me like ferrari is adopting porsche's model strategy

btw, i changed my contract for the "next 360" to the "really new 360". with the RS in my garage there's no hurry

Quote:
    zzboba said:

I hope not.

Quote:
    zzboba said:

BOTH rumours are true!

1. the "evo" version with enzo-ish rear lights, around 450 HP and slight modifications will come in 2004 for sure.

2. the "really new" 360 (probably called "420 monza") will follow 1.5 - 2 years later.

btw, i changed my contract for the "next 360" to the "really new 360". with the RS in my garage there's no hurry

Sounds like two terribly expensive coming years...

best,
    sr

Quote:

True,but how exciting those two years will be.

Quote:
    zzboba said:

BOTH rumours are true!

BTW, if both rumours are true, I was guessing quite right on July, 15th:

Quote:
    rossi said:

Anyway, IMO in spring 2004 we will see a redesigned Modena. If it's true, that its V8 will be increased in bore and stroke, then it must be the new V8, currently used in the Maserati, as the old V8 has reached the end of its capacity.
    So I guess 460 to 475 hp are far more believable. I'm sure there also will be some recognizable changes in the design. New front bumper and different wheels are most likely.
    That car will be on the market until autumn 2005 (Frankfurt motorshow) or spring 2006 (Geneva). 2006 is more likely, as I expect the all new Maranello with around 600 hp in 2005. Then the Modena will be replaced by an all new V8-Ferrari with totally new chassis. Engine will basically remain the same, most probably with small displacement increase from 4.2 to 4.3, then called 430 ... (Monza ?) with close to 500 hp.

regards,
    sr

Quote:
    CF said:
    Quote:

Yep, very interesting to see, how Ferrari will react to Gallardo & Co.

sr

I'm on "the list" for a 360 spider, due next year. Do you think I should hold out for the new spider?

Quote:
    rijk365gtb4 said:
    I'm on "the list" for a 360 spider, due next year. Do you think I should hold out for the new spider?

If there will be a Evoluzione version of the current Modena, then I assume that the Spider will get the changes at the same time (so that would be 2004). So I guess your Spider will be modificated.
    My dealer offered me an "old" Spider for right away (December). I rejected.
    IMO the date, when the all-new Spider arrives will be about 2007 (Berlinetta first, Spider one year later).
    So there's plenty of time for you and your modificated Spider until the all-new one arrives.

best,
    sr

Quote:
    zzboba said:

IMO the horsepower-war, introduced by DC and Audi, seems to force Ferrari to modify their model strategy. Without that, I think the Modena would have stayed untouched, with a Challenge Stradale on top of the range, until its end of production in 2006.

best,
    sr

Quote:

Expensive for the new Ferraris definently, but hopefully, this will drive down the prices for the older Ferraris, with everyone who wants to get a new car, selling their old one, and hopefully, at a lower price.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/29/24 9:42 PM
    watt
    784924 1799
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    443530 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263683 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    262415 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86474 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6079 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

882175 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    822121 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM