Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: ROAD-TEST: New 991 CarreraS

Then tell me one thing-why all 991S press cars that are equiped with -20mm PASM/PDCC are also eqiuped with PS Plus?

BTW, according to what I hear Porsche PS Plus is different in setup then Audi or Mercedes systems that are designed for maximal comfort.

KresoF1:

Then tell me one thing-why all 991S press cars that are equiped with -20mm PASM/PDCC are also eqiuped with PS Plus?

BTW, according to what I hear Porsche PS Plus is different in setup then Audi or Mercedes systems that are designed for maximal comfort.

Perhaps, the steering effort at low speeds is much heavier with the -20 SPASM and given the bigger 991 wheels, so Porsche thought to add PS Plus to their Press cars Smiley

But there is no point arguing about it. The PS Plus is a comfort option (in the 911sense not the S class sense) not a performance option. If someone doesn't need it for ease and comfort at low speeds,  then he'd better follow Achleitner's advice IMO. If for example someone's wife also drives the car she might need PS Plus for easier parking or moving in tight streets even on a normal suspension car.

--

"Form follows function"

Truly outstanding Carlos!

Thank you

From what I hear and the research I've done the standard C2S chassis is great. You can go faster with all the extra kit but fundamentally the base car is very good indeed especially as you get the diff as standard with 7 speeds. I tried the demo with all the extras and now I've booked a drive with a standard chassis in a couple of weeks to see if what I've heard is true. 

PS Plus is awful!  What you want is PASM Sport to get the 991 feeling like a 911 should feel.

I can confirm that - the 991 Cabriolet had PASM and without the button pressed - even with 20' - the car felt to soft...

BjoernB:

I can confirm that - the 991 Cabriolet had PASM and without the button pressed - even with 20' - the car felt to soft...

Yes, the Cab has a softer base setup. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (June 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

That is an amazing review of the car

I read every word ! thanks a lot

I sold a Carrera 4S gen 2 and will place an order for 991 Carrera s next week.

I have been very undeceive about colors!  its driving me nuts 

What do you think. white, silver or gray?

I have been driving black porsches since 2008 so time to change 

Look forward for your thoughts 

Thanks OG911 and welcome to Rennteam wink

I have a black/black 997S but IMO the 991 looks amazing in white ext with black interior kiss

--

I think white is great, but somehow the metallic colors suit this car better, enhancing details, curves etc. Front bumper   looks best in silver, or lime gold (which is my favorite ATM)...

you are right i think

Silver is a good colour

agreed,
    White looks great in the 997, not so good in the 991
    A bright metallic colour suits the 991 better, enhances the bulbous lines just perfect.
    Said that, my 991 is white, and for some reason it doesnt look like a +$100k car, on the other hand, saw a Platinum silver in the dealers lot and it looked fantastic.

OG911:

you are right i think

Silver is a good colour

+1 on the Platinum Silver. Looks (and feels) like it carved out of solid aluminum billet. Mine has black full leather - the aluminum trim looks great. I will eventually stop going to the garage to sit in the car, but..

chuckb:

...I will eventually stop going to the garage to sit in the car, but..

Smiley Smiley

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

This is a real good review of the car, i totally agree with every point mentioned. I really appreciate : ) Thanks a lot 2!

I therfore have a question about:

Stop and Start System

you wrote ....in real life it’s really annoying to me, especially in city driving, which ironically it’s what it was intended for, in which you need to stop and start will agility and immediately..... ... the problem is that it comes back on again after you turn off and on the car again, but I suppose that could be disengaged permanently someway… it better...

The PC told me it is not possible to "permanently disengage" the function, i mean i'd rather prefer it not to be "switsched on" by default when starting the engine instead of pressing every time this buttom.....

Did someone find out anything about switching it off ?

It is indeed "on" in its default position when driving in the "normal" mode. It goes off when sport mode is selected.

I tend to switch it off when in "heavy traffic commuting", that is , in stop and go driving as it is both annoying and seems like it just has to be a stress on the starter. 

In normal driving in town, it is less annoying as it happens at more occasional intervals- like traffic lights and stop signs. Like the "coasting" feature on the highway, it feels to me to be a "high performance" optional element of the car, where performance is gas milage. 

Then again I don't find it to be a lot of trouble to push the button to turn it off, or to push the button to be in sport mode and to shift for myself for the entertainment value. I truly hate to admit it, but for maximum performance, the PDK algorithms are at least as good as I am and likely better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mIBt7ECqnk

Got dizzy watching the upside down exhaust angle at high speed.  This has to be the worst camera angle ever (and silly looking exhaust pipe).

The PDK shifting sounds SOOOOO boring.  Is it just me?  Monotonous - and it sounds like it hits the next gear at the wrong revs - like 'clunk, no torque'.  Just sounds like a boring computer is shifting.

For me, left to shift for itself, in normal mode, it is as boring as the traffic jam you are in, the solution being to turn up the radio; in Sport, mode it is mildly entertaining to feel perfect up and downshifts with rev matching; in Sport Plus it does an automated imitation of a cup car which is very entertaining In all cases the shifting is at peaks defined by throttle position.  

Shifting it manually with the lever or even those idiotic buttons now that I understand them, it is entertaining in normal mode,  exhilarating in Sport mode going up or down, and maniacally grin inducing overreaching perfection in Sport Plus mode. 

In a Carrera S , left to its own or shifting manually, believe me, that is anything but monotonous anywhere from half pedal to  astounding from there on down to the floor.

Takes some getting used to how satisfying it is. 

Yes, the upside down thing makes me want to chuck: but the PDK (this is version 2) I hadn't really listened to careflully before.  It convinces me that a qualified manual tranaxle driver will outperform PDK.

Let's wait until we can get the same number of gear ratios in the same car with the same setup on the same track on the same day: and then we can all see.

chuckb:

For me, left to shift for itself, in normal mode, it is as boring as the traffic jam you are in, the solution being to turn up the radio; in Sport, mode it is mildly entertaining to feel perfect up and downshifts with rev matching; in Sport Plus it does an automated imitation of a cup car which is very entertaining In all cases the shifting is at peaks defined by throttle position.  

Shifting it manually with the lever or even those idiotic buttons now that I understand them, it is entertaining in normal mode,  exhilarating in Sport mode going up or down, and maniacally grin inducing overreaching perfection in Sport Plus mode. 

In a Carrera S , left to its own or shifting manually, believe me, that is anything but monotonous anywhere from half pedal to  astounding from there on down to the floor.

Exactly.  You need to DRIVE  PDK for a few days in order to make a valid opinion.

chuckb: Why don't you change your steering wheel for the one with the paddles ? ( I did that on mine and it was worth every cent of it )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gladstone:

Yes, the upside down thing makes me want to chuck: but the PDK (this is version 2) I hadn't really listened to careflully before.  It convinces me that a qualified manual tranaxle driver will outperform PDK.

Let's wait until we can get the same number of gear ratios in the same car with the same setup on the same track on the same day: and then we can all see.

No professional driver has been faster with the manual then with PDK. It is impossible to shift as fast as the computer does .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:
    Gladstone:

No professional driver has been faster with the manual then with PDK. It is impossible to shift as fast as the computer does .

It is even mechanically "impossible" due to the PDK design with dual clutches and alternating gears. A traditional manual gearbox and clutch need to perform more steps to change gear (even if it was controlled by a computer). The PDK only needs to move the clutch plates (disengage/engage) which it can do in parallel and hence shifting is instantaneous. Only Superman could be that quick with a manual Smiley

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, IPD Plenum, GT3 Throttle Body, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE, Alpine Head Unit and Amplifier, Focal Speakers

Many people are saying that PDK (2) in the 991 is much improved over PDK (1) in a 997.2.

I noticed no difference in PDK between the 991 tester I drove and my current GTS...yes

Is it possible that the newer PDK was used in the GTS... being the last 997's to leave the production line? 

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Trusting your judgement, what you say could be true.

I noticed a lot of difference between my Dec 2008 built PDK and the 991 test car. The intervening 3 years up to the GTS is a long time for Porsche because they continuously develop their products.

--

"Form follows function"

Reginos - could you be specific about the "lot of difference" you noticed.... thanks..wink

--

Changes, up and down, were smoother and the occasional jerkiness when downchanging to 1st gear (coming to a series of stops or having to slow down when in town after a period of spirited driving) was not present. PDK was subjectively more pleasing in its operation. Someone who drives the older model would have noticed it.

In all modes the response was more immediate to throttle inputs or application of brakes.

The blip on downchanges was more pronounced which added a pleasing sportiness to the system.

--

"Form follows function"

Many thanks for the description...kiss

I don't get any jerkiness with the GTS, even into1st gear.  The changes are smooth...both up & down and I don't think the responses could be any more immediate...yes 

Maybe the other GTS owners on here could comment as to whether or not they noticed any improvements if they've tried the 991 PDK?

--

My experience (GTS): I think it's fair to say that it's jerky when you're crawling along, especially when it changes down from 2nd to 1st, and especially in sports mode.  I.e., when you'd normally have your foot on the clutch in a manual...

You get used to it, and you forgive it because it's a sportscar - do I want it to drive like a family sedan?  No: it's got to be a bit raw...

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Gnil:
    chuckb:

Exactly.  You need to DRIVE  PDK for a few days in order to make a valid opinion.

chuckb: Why don't you change your steering wheel for the one with the paddles ? ( I did that on mine and it was worth every cent of it )

Gnil, I am likely to get the sport wheel- it is also much better looking, Also may go for PSE.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779092 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442217 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263092 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261374 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85601 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5794 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881069 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817417 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM