Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

X6M Exhaust & Engine Sound (driving report)

am now at 600 km and started to drive a bit more spirited. no kickdown and no rvs past 5500 rpm yet.

when mdm active and lever in s position, the exhaust actually does make some nice sounds.

burbling and gargling when lifting off the gas and rather trumpety when stepping on it.....

not bad at all i find. a million times better than the 997 turbo for example.

what surprises me is that there is very little to be heard from the engine.

in the 50i the engine sounded really nice. good 8 cylinder growl to be heard from the front.

in the M it really does sound like a 4-cylinder. i find that the very strange as i believe it's exactly the same engine setup with higher boost ?

all in all i am happy with the exhaust sound.

as for acceleration, even without kickdown or revving above 5.5k the car is a rocket.

huge power between 1000 and 4500 rpm.

furthermore the car has by far the best auto transmission i have ever felt of any car. incredible shifting. somehow always in the 'right gear'. shifts down 2 gears in a row when slowing down. amazing.

upshifts are absilutely seamless in comfort mode.

2 cars in 1 really. 

the only major gripe I have so far is wínd noise. above 140 km/h you have to turn up the setereo not to be annoyed.....

EDC works great. the car hardly leans in fast bends and traction is great.

mdm also allows for wheel slip....and that's with not exceeding 4,500 rpm.

great car ! much more involving than the cayenne, where you could step on the pedal and go for coffee until something would happen.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Re: X6M Exhaust & Engine Sound (driving report)

intouch1:

great car ! much more involving than the cayenne, where you could step on the pedal and go for coffee until something would happen.

That was on the pre-FL Cayenne FYI, not as bad now unless you have been driven very softly for a while (this is by design).

I was very nicely surprised how many improvements were made between the 04 and the 09...

intouch1:

Smiley....  +1

Can underline your write up in every single point and yes, the car is Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.
    For the exhaust:
    Its not the typical V8 growl but for me the sound in M-sport mode and/or manual shifting is quite satisfying

--
    Kind regards, Conny 
    More pics: http://www.dayboox.com/group/Connys%20Galerie
    Porsche 997 Turbo * Porsche Cayenne GTS * BMW X5M

intouch1:

in the 50i the engine sounded really nice. good 8 cylinder growl to be heard from the front.

in the M it really does sound like a 4-cylinder. i find that the very strange as i believe it's exactly the same engine setup with higher boost ?

As much as people might think that this is the same engine, it isn't, I was surprised myself.

The "M" engine uses only the same engine block but more than 90% of the parts are different. Smiley

Just in case you didn't read the X6 M Supertest on the Nordschleife, here is a link to the .pdf File:

X6 M Supertest

Btw: the tested car still had the 250 kph limit. With the M Driver's Package, the time is 8:22. Not bad at all for a SUV. Smiley

It is also incredible that in Hockenheim, the X6 M is only 0.6 seconds behind the M5.
    --

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

that's interesting news about the engine......had no clue about it...

RC, any news about the software thingy for the engine sound ? i doubt it's doable but who knows......

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

that's interesting news about the engine......had no clue about it...

RC, any news about the software thingy for the engine sound ? i doubt it's doable but who knows......

Should be doable, my wife's M3 Cab just got the engine software update and it is much louder/aggressive now in certain rev ranges. Talking of electronics... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

hey RC, just checked your post in the M-forum and found out that the engine is called S63. here's what I could dig up:

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0908_bmw_x6_x_replacing_turbo_lag_with_turbo_brag/index.html

--

more:

http://www.bimmertoday.de/2009/05/05/technische-details-zum-motor-von-bmw-x5-m-x6-m/

--

english version:

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/05/01/exclusive-the-new-m-motor-in-depth/

--

Very interesting, thanks for posting. 

Many people think that BMW just uses a different DME programming and different turbo chargers on the X5/X6 M compared to the X5/X6 50i (X5 available soon) but this is completely wrong. Maybe they confuse the "M" version of the engine with the Performance Package with 450 HP for the 50i engine. Smiley

--

RC, just found another of your questions on th M-forum concerning music import.

when I downloaded music files from a usb stick onto the idrive harddisk the sound became horrendous. i kept playing around with the equalizer settings but nothing made it better, thn a bell rang and i suspected the culprit.

the imported files are obviously compressed further and sound really horrible. why they did that is beyond me.  when i switched back to usb it was far better. i usually set compression to 320kbs. unfortunately the idrive does not play flac or wav.

--

If true, this really sucks. 

Btw: do you have the DVD changer ? I forgot to ask my dealer if this changer plays also MP3 CDs.  I even don't know if the rear DVD entertainment system can play DVDs in the DVD changer. It would make sense but...again... 

--

i had the dvd changer in the 50i. i have not tried mp3 discs in it though. no use for mp3 cd's when you can use a usb stick really.

i plugged a 16GB  usb in the ´center console and that should provide for lifetime music.

and about the imported music quality...well in fact it sucks. what the heck individual sound system when the output from the harddisk is utter garbage. trust me it sounds worse than a laptop.

files with medium compression sound reasonable. will try a cd for comparison tomorrow and report if it further improves sound.

just to explain: 320 kbs compression is what i used for the files on my usb stick. idrive compresses further. might be 128 or even lower from the sound of it.

--

just checked my manual. yes, the dvd changer plays mp3, wma, ogg and aac files.

rear dvd seems to be standalone unit and not linked to changer.

--

intouch1:

just checked my manual. yes, the dvd changer plays mp3, wma, ogg and aac files.

rear dvd seems to be standalone unit and not linked to changer.

Thanks. It has now been confirmed by various sources that the rear entertainment DVD system does not play DVDs from the DVD changer. What a shame. Smiley

--

RC:

Many people think that BMW just uses a different DME programming and different turbo chargers on the X5/X6 M compared to the X5/X6 50i (X5 available soon) but this is completely wrong. Maybe they confuse the "M" version of the engine with the Performance Package with 450 HP for the 50i engine. Smiley

--

Thank you both for the info.

So is the firing order different (from the 50i engine), or is it just the pairing of exhaust manifolds that makes the X5/6M engine sound so different?

--

10 PRINT "997.2 Carrera S rules"

20 GOTO 10

30 RUN

temm:
    RC:

--

Thank you both for the info.

So is the firing order different (from the 50i engine), or is it just the pairing of exhaust manifolds that makes the X5/6M engine sound so different?

The crankshaft layout, maybe, one being a "flat-crank" and the óther having cranks at 90° angles to each other?  Smiley 

--

fritz

To be honest: I don't have a clue, I'm no engineer. 

--

from what i understood, it's the way the exhaust gases are funelled into the turbos. 2x4.

basically like running an cylinder with dual exhaust and no crosspipe. will sound like a 4 cylinder on each side as well.

as said above, the 50i had the full-on v8 sound from th engine bay. the M does not have this at all. basically what you hear is the exhaust at the back.

luckily it's warm enough here to drive with the windows open

with mdm and lever is sport, the exhaust sounds truly like a sportscar exhibiting different sounds all the time.

--

I wish the X5/X6 M sounded more like the 50i but I suppose BMW wanted a different (sportier ?) sound for their M SAV/SUV. 

The V8 growl will come to the X5/X6 M, it is only a question if it is going to be retrofittable. I also have my doubts that BMW is going to issue a simple software upgrade, I'm afraid they go for the hardware change for better results. Time will tell, the source at the Salzburg Ring said something about April/May 2010, so I suppose the new sound will be introduced with the X5/X6 LCI/Technical Updates.

--

look at the positive side.......it just amplifies the 'wolf in sheeps' clothing attitude.

in general the X6M is a very subtle looking car, which is a good thing.

almost no one noticed that i changed the car. even most car guys hadn't noticed.

they asked if I changed the wheels again.....

i replied that i changed what's on top of the wheels

i just hope no one thinks i added an M badge to my 50 i

--

I would not call the X6M subtle looking...

you only see the 'souped up' parts at a second look. the front intakes, exhaust and rear valance are really not that 'in your face'

--

I was talking about the car as a whole, the design is quite striking wether you like it or not

I have done over 1000km on my X5M now.  One thing is for sure, the sound is much better than when I first got it!  I still find taking off from stand still presents a throttle lag, but otherwise the engine is so tractible in any gear in any rev range!  The car rocks as my family hauler.  Still wish it could sound like my C63 (well nothing else does anyway), but it is living up to my expectations and doing absolutely everything I want in a family car.  Loving it!  (until my Boxster Spyder shows up anyway lol)

SciFrog:

I was talking about the car as a whole, the design is quite striking wether you like it or not

In Germany, the X6 gets the same attention level as the Cayenne, which isn't really a good thing. One of the reasons I went for the X5 instead.

Subtle ? I wouldn't use this word describing the X6. Smiley

--

WAY:

I have done over 1000km on my X5M now.  One thing is for sure, the sound is much better than when I first got it! 

...thats what I'm talking about in almost every post regarding the X5M exhaust.

After 1.500 km done the exhaust note in M-Sportmode is that severe in a deep adolescent manner that I sometimes switched it back in normal particularly with passengers in the rear

--
    Kind regards, Conny 
    More pics: http://www.dayboox.com/group/Connys%20Galerie
    Porsche 997 Turbo * Porsche Cayenne GTS * BMW X5M

Very cool articles, thanks Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

Conny997:
    WAY:

I have done over 1000km on my X5M now.  One thing is for sure, the sound is much better than when I first got it! 

...thats what I'm talking about in almost every post regarding the X5M exhaust.

After 1.500 km done the exhaust note in M-Sportmode is that severe in a deep adolescent manner that I sometimes switched it back in normal particularly with passengers in the rear

And you are so right! Smiley

Why does the sound of the exhaust change after some km/miles?

An exhaust is a complex part of engineering. it is used to design a sound. What is happening inside the exhaust that this sound is changing after (in comparison to the lifespan) a short time?  Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779005 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442198 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263078 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261357 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85591 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5786 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881057 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817353 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM