Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Here We Go Again - Ferrari Spontaneous Combustion. This Time It's An Enzo

I'm seriously considering never getting a Ferarri. The incidences of spontaneous combustion or combustion after accidents is just too high.

Oh, and the value of Enzo's just went up again thanks to one less in existence.

We rolled past and walked back to the scene. Jodie stopped and asked a man walking along the road if he knew what happened. He said "Yeah a guy was driving his Enzo Ferrari, it caught on fire and he jumped out." Jodie said "We saw that Ferrari drive by us in OK Falls, is the guy OK?" He said "Yeah, I'm the guy!" Then Jodie was struck speechless and said "I'm sorry"

The whole time he's not really looking at Jodie just texting furiously on his phone. He then went and sat down on the side of the road beside his duffel bag, all that he had left.

--

...the only thing stopping you in all likelihood, is you!

Re: Here We Go Again - Ferrari Spontaneous Combustion. This Time It's An Enzo

What a shame... I wonder what was in the duffel bag, lighter fluid and matches?

At a minimum there should a uniform there keeping those other vehicles from getting so close to that inferno. Had he been going 100 mph he would have found 1. 

Its still a hot looking car though..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

His car insurance will not be amused about this.

--

lol pretty chill area... guy is just filming.. cars passing by without a make fuzz and meanwhile the roof of that building seem to be smoking as well...

Good everyone is ok and the driver had time to pull over safely :S

Ferrari recall maybe?

--

2005 Ford Focus S, 5spd
    1986 Porsche 944, 5spd

What a terrible loss!!!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Italian cars have been notorious for their electrics since the beginning of time.

Enzo or Fiat Uno same thing

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

this is just so so sad, I can't imagine how the owner feels, must be a very tough day for him, even if insurance covers everything (which I am sure it will, when talking about an Enzo of $1.500.000)....

What a sad day indeed !!!!, what is the matter with Ferraris??, how can a car that is drived very rarely, in other words, a garage queen, and with a price tag so high that you could buy instead several houses and some cars, and still finish into flames SO SO EASY?????......

If I was an Enzo owner, or cgt owner, etc.....my first thing to install in the car would be at least TWO fire-extinguisers, both below the drivers seat to react as quick as possible !!!

--

Highly strung super exoticas tend to be temperamental. I will have to disagree with Reginos, as all manufacturers use the same electrics and electronics (Magneti Marelli, Bosch et al) so it's got more to do with overheating if anything else. These very high-power engines require huge amounts of cooling and driving slowly does not provide it. 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

Highly strung super exoticas tend to be temperamental. I will have to disagree with Reginos, as all manufacturers use the same electrics and electronics (Magneti Marelli, Bosch et al) so it's got more to do with overheating if anything else. These very high-power engines require huge amounts of cooling and driving slowly does not provide it. 

My comment was meant as a joke really!

However, the hardware maybe the same but the actual electrical installations are a matter for the individual car manufacturer to design. Things like the  routing and insulation of the wiring are  very important. Equally, important is the safety of the fuel lines in the proximity of high temperature parts like the exhaust.

Another possible cause is that because most of these cars don't see normal use and they sit most of the time, critical components like fuel hoses etc. might corrode more easily than in running cars leading to leakages.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Fuel lines and tranny cooling lines near heat can be a problem and have created some fire in 928's because of age related issues. But on an enzo and other relatively new vehicles old rubber should not be an issue. Un burnt fuel from a mis-firing engine into hot cats another cause but again probably not here.

There is something else going on with these cars, not very comforting considering the cost. and everyone should carry an extinguisher, one 928 owner even has a halon injection system for his engine compartment. 

True, very true Reginos...

RacerX... we have a similar system installed in our MBTs... I find this rather amusing.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

928's are built like panzers 

reginos:

Italian cars have been notorious for their electrics since the beginning of time.

Enzo or Fiat Uno same thing

hahahaha true!!Smiley

--
    997 TT, what a car/che'mmmmmaghena!!!

REALZEUS:

Nice, but no excuse in the modern age with endless hours of computer modeling testing and air flow simulations before bolt one is even driven. 

Dealing with heat output is something they've had decades to figure out - and frankly with these cars, there's no real excuse given the kind of $$$ heat insulation and expensive piping they're using.

--

racerx:

Too bad then... Those T34s had Panzers and Tigers for breakfast... Smiley

Heist: I am sure siniore di Montezemelo will be devastated by your decision not to buy a Ferrari. (just cracking some fun mate).

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:
    racerx:

Too bad then... Those T34s had Panzers and Tigers for breakfast... Smiley

Too bad you got your facts backward. Tigers were untouchable by T-34's, T 34-85's had a little better chance but still no luck head on. The combination of thick frontal armor and the marvelous german 88 was no match for russian armor. 

In fact during Kursk, in the southern salient the russians resorted to ramming their t-34's full blast into the tigers in desperation. Most amazing battle of all modern warfare.

I have stood inside the turret of the last functioning Tiger in the world and looked down and over that 88's barrell, quite a feeling.

Here is the King Tiger, one of these took out an entire column of soviet tanks including stalin heavy tanks in one battle. 26 soviet tanks destroyed and 1 unscathed king tiger. Their problem was lack of volume and air cover.

some say the best looking tank of all time;

RacerX I am an ex Lieutenant (Armourded Forces), Commander of a MBT Column and Trainer in Strategy, Tactics and Armour Usage. I am glad to elaborate on the subject.

I stand by my statements.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I have read in German the daily after action reports of the divisions invloved in the fighting at kursk including LAH and DR from the bundesarchiv. I know that battle like the back of my hand where Tigers went up against columns of hundreds of T-34's.  

Examined the maps with the handwriting of german staff noting this and that, seen the daily reports from the german mechanics servicing the Tigers, panzer 3's and 4's and even captured T-34's being used by the germans there.

So unless you participated in the battle of Kursk yourself, you have no knowledge that I have not seen.

I have also seen all the tables of armor penetration at what distance etc........

I have been to Bovington and aberdeen and climbed all over these machines.

but thanks for the offer. you could probably tell me something about M-60's and Leopards.

Racer-X I like you cause you make me think of my Officer's School days. I really like this! The T-34s had a huge mobility advantage compared to the Panzers II and III and also the Tiger I and II. The Panzer was a medium tank, while the Tiger was a heavy tank countered by the JS1 and JS2 Heavy Tanks which remained the heaviest tanks till the 80s. The main problem of the german tanks was their forward engine configuration. Enemy rounds would easily detonate a petrol powered Tiger 2, whereas a T34 was immune to German munition below the 88mm gun configuration. The JS2 was so heavily equipped that it would (as stationary check point due to its huge bulk) penetrate 2 german tanks at once with a single round of its 120mm main gun. The T34s on the other hand would overcome a batallion of Panzers with their superior speed and armour. I am glad to elaborate on the aiming system also if that is needed.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Welcome to Rennteam's Armored Divisioned Tank Forces Forum ....

--

It's been a few years since i read that stuff but if I remember correctly each of the 3 divisions that spearheaded the southern pincer - LAH, DR, and T only had about 12 Tigers each. The majority of their force were panzer IV's.  

These 3 divisions made very good progress through the massive defences and the panzer IV with its 75 mm main gun did take out quite a few T-34's. The soviets were down to resreves at this part of the battle.

The struggle these divisions went through there was super human. It would be amazing to have seen color footage of this part of history.

The doomed attack started with waves of Stukas hitting the forward soviet lines around 3:00 am, then artillery then the Tigers and panzers advanved through miles of ditches, traps, anti-tank gun fire and minefields before encountering 100's of T-34's advancing in waves.

The Tigers repelled all that was thrown at them. Only to withdraw when ordered by the high command when the Northern pincer failed to gain any ground. That's the History 30+ Tigers plus some 300 or so panzer IV's against near 1500 soviet T-34 and other tanks.

Tigers were phenomenal in open country. Not perfect though.

This is a fact though and noted by the Tiger commander in his after action report, T-34's were actually ramming when they could not stop the tigers with their main gun.

enough for now, but very amazing stuff to read. BTW this ferocious battle lasted a couple weeks day and night. not some 1 day deal.

Racer... I am glad you like your historical facts... I am also glad you know know what Kursk is (other than the sunken sub... another long discussion there... I am glad to elaborate also). Truth be told, the Soviets had a huge numerical advantage but that was far from the truth when in came to the actual fighting. I was a British soldier mate, but I cannot hide from the truth. You must be familiar with Stalin's Organs and the JS2 aka T10s. The T10s in particular were the most devastating tracked vehicles of the WW2. But this is getting out of control, please PM me.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I think its a good advice to use a firesave jacket while driving a F-Car.

I can't believe Ferrari can get away with building cars that just catch fire

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

I can't believe Ferrari can get away with building cars that just catch fire

Ferrari owners will tell you it's part of the unique character of owning a super car of this caliber and adds to the excitment and thrill! 

I mean who doesn't want be tooling along down the street and suddenly have to play Chinese fire drill. Smiley

--

The King Tiger was not very reliable but when working was the best. A little too heavy for russian wooden bridges though Smiley

T34 was easy to build and easy to "drive" but suffered from having a team of only 4 people instead of 5.

To each it's own.

Smiley

--
    There is no try. Just do.

Honestly once it starts burning, you are better off letting it go all the way. Insurance will pick up the tab...

SciFrog:

Honestly once it starts burning, you are better off letting it go all the way. Insurance will pick up the tab...

Co-sign. You can only pray that it's a complete catostrophic loss rather than just a few burnt panels and what not because you'll never get the value back out of it when it comes time to sell.

Oh, and for gods's sakes - should we start a Rennteam Tank Forum as well Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776957 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262738 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85147 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880593 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815781 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM