Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Beware of the Blue Devil (pics)

this might sound weird but i think Gm is copying porsche.
    theyre making diff varients of the corvette just ike the 911.

GM
    regular c6 (porsche 911)
    c6 z06 (porsche 911 gt3)
    blue devil (porsche 911 GT2)

I would definately consider the corvette as an important competitor to the 911

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6050701.001

check the link above

Re: Beware of the Blue Devil (pics)

i think people are gonna get into serious trouble with the Z06 and blue devil... since they are pretty easy to obtain atleast price wise i wonder how many owners will actually be able to control that much power... seems outrageously powered! but still very nice

Excellent commentary response by Brian Potter on that link. Nevertheless, excellent vehicle

i wish we could get that car here, what a bargain for the $ tag

porsche cant play all stuborn and stuck up anymore, they will most certaintly have to either

a)drop prices
    b) increase horspower
    c)build more non sports cars (panarema or whatever they call it, the rumored 2 door cayenne..etc)

porsches needs to make a cayman rs version.... that would be very, very nice

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    this might sound weird but i think Gm is copying porsche.
    theyre making diff varients of the corvette just ike the 911.

GM
    regular c6 (porsche 911)
    c6 z06 (porsche 911 gt3)
    blue devil (porsche 911 GT2)

I would definately consider the corvette as an important competitor to the 911

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6050701.001

check the link above

GM has another "trick" to put into play.

They already have DOHC heads for that engine.

They can always add them to the next Blue Devil model
    for more power and more revs.

Quote:
    AndrewSS said:
    porsches needs to make a cayman rs version.... that would be very, very nice

and if they don't, i've heard RUF might be busy with their own version of the Cayman RS

Corvette interior is crap and looks are very questionable. If you want a fast car for cheap but don't care about anything else then go ahead.. but otherwise i'd rather pay the premium.

why is this new to everyone? the VIPER has been around for years....lots of power; cheap american car lol.

viper is actually a little pricey

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    porsche cant play all stuborn and stuck up anymore, they will most certaintly have to either

a)drop prices
    b) increase horspower
    c)build more non sports cars (panarema or whatever they call it, the rumored 2 door cayenne..etc)

Do we really believe that this will signal a change in Porsche's strategic management? Let's be serious: the majority of people who buy Porsche's, at least in the States, DO NOT TRACK THE CAR. They buy it for:

a.) Name: A recent survey of the American male population found a Porsche 911 to be the most desirable car for males 25-65. This doesn't include car junkies, just regular Joes.
    b.) Comfort/Quality: have you ever driven in a Corvette? The plastic body, the leif springs. The crappy interior? These are not exactly trademark qualities of Porsche
    c.) Prestige: Corvette's are still holding on to the prestige of non fuel-injected American Muscle. However, that breed of racing is gone, and so is the loyalty to the Corvette line. Ask 10 people with 100,000 dollars to spend on a vehicle, and I bet you they 9 of them drive imports and prefer imports for the prestige and exclusive nature they bring.

All in all, no matter how awesome these Corvettes are (which they absolutely are), I don't see them pushing the market very hard, except for true track people, and loyal American buyers, who wouldn't buy a Porsche anyways.

My 2 cents...

Gm is getting there.. you better believe it.
    by the way things are going (with all the hype theyre generating about the new vette)the 911 is going to start losing more and more market share to the corvette. in 10 years, alot of people from my generation will opt for corvettes rather than 911's. (im 20) The new corvette is like how the 911 was to you guys in the 60's and 70's. (not to me personally, but to the younger aged dudes in my university) The only thing it got going against it is the popular belief that amercan cars have low build quality (somthing they can work on).

actually GM is smart , by making an exotic priced blue devil, they will be able to market the corvette as an exotic competitor and not just an american muscle car anymore.
    so ordinary peeps will or might jump at the idea of owning a affordable corvette.

my 2 cents

I personally own a 997 and a corvette and there is no way you can compare and american car to a german. German cars are perfect and reliable compared to american. Amir u went too far comparin a porsche to a vette...a porsche is a porsche baby. Did u ever try drivin one and feelin the difference? there is no way ..absolutely no way GM is gettin close to porsche..they are already losin money ..and not to german cars but to japanese cars.. i think da battle here is between japanese and german cars.

"There is no denying this devil in a blue dress will drop jaws with amazing performance but the best and worst part is the price tag. The price is the best part in terms of having an obtainable super car for non-millionaires. However, the worst part is the absence of status and exclusivity that comes with an exotic super sports car's astronomical price tag. Price it too low and the Blue Devil will never shake that second tier reputation no matter how good it performs. Bargains are for the frugal minded and in the realm of supercars this doesn't mix. It is well known that GM has the capability to build amazing cars of such caliber but in the midst of financial difficulty the Blue Devil is a bit inappropriate. GM should stop trying to shed light on its model line by creating an artificial halo effect from an affordable super car. ."

Very true.

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    (...)
    Let's be serious: the majority of people who buy Porsche's, at least in the States, DO NOT TRACK THE CAR. They buy it for:

a.) Name: A recent survey of the American male population found a Porsche 911 to be the most desirable car for males 25-65. This doesn't include car junkies, just regular Joes.
    b.) Comfort/Quality: have you ever driven in a Corvette? The plastic body, the leif springs. The crappy interior? These are not exactly trademark qualities of Porsche
    c.) Prestige: Corvette's are still holding on to the prestige of non fuel-injected American Muscle. However, that breed of racing is gone, and so is the loyalty to the Corvette line. Ask 10 people with 100,000 dollars to spend on a vehicle, and I bet you they 9 of them drive imports and prefer imports for the prestige and exclusive nature they bring.

All in all, no matter how awesome these Corvettes are (which they absolutely are), I don't see them pushing the market very hard, except for true track people, and loyal American buyers, who wouldn't buy a Porsche anyways.

My 2 cents...

I'm with you on this.
    Like I wrote in another thread: This isn't about actual features, and probably not even about build quality etc.
    It's about picking a Vette over a Porsche.
    And if you can afford it, 99 out of 100 potentialt buyers will pick a Porsche over a Vette. Those who can't afford it or aren't very into sportscars or arent impressed with the P-factor will either get a Vette or a bigger TV.

The choice might look difficult, but let me try and make it simpler:
    You have 1 week left to live and get to pick a car to drive that last week.
    Your choice is between any 05MY Vette and any 05MY 911.
    Which do you choose?

Easy, right?

IMO thats's what this is all about. The P-factor has such a strong emotional hold on most guys, that no matter what kind of competitor data and exciting facts you try to bombard it with, it wont give.

I hear many of my american friends in here do the appropriate patritotic thing and advocate the Z06 as the can of American whoop-a55 you've all been waitning for and all the Europeans deading...but I don't see any of you driving the Z06 or even talking about putting down a deposit on one.

I don't mean this as evidence to the fatc that US cars can't compete with Euro cars - cuz the Z06 is proof they can.
    I'm simply saying a Vette will never have the appeal of a Porsche.

Just my opinion but another fatal error for the Vette is the fact that it is under the Chevy label... As some of you have mentioned, only old time Vette enthusiasts really appreciate this and the fact that Chevy's are catered for the regular joe salaryman doesn't help the Vette's brand value. Re-branding the Vette may help its market position a little but I don't foresee the Vette challenging Porsche anytime soon.

Quote:
    550 Spyder said:
    Just my opinion but another fatal error for the Vette is the fact that it is under the Chevy label... As some of you have mentioned, only old time Vette enthusiasts really appreciate this and the fact that Chevy's are catered for the regular joe salaryman doesn't help the Vette's brand value. Re-branding the Vette may help its market position a little but I don't foresee the Vette challenging Porsche anytime soon.

Profiles for New Corvette buyers are virtually the same as for Boxster S buyers. It cant be categorized as a product targeted at the sub proletariat.

Used buyers are another thing, as are used Porsche buyers.
    Ive seen both Corvette and Porsche owners who are the stars of their own white trash reality show.

Lutz is changing Chevrolet products. Corvette will have three versions for 2006 and in 2007 the new interiors appear.

Obviously nobody dislikes the precision, feel and soul of a Porsche.Times are changing and the Corvettes being improved is to everyones benefit.

Quote:

a)drop prices
    b) increase horspower

I agree. As much as I like Posrche, they seem to have a very snobby attitude and as others have posted before, make exorbitant profits on each car. Hopefully these Vettes will be a wake up call.

Quote:
    kickdown said:
    I personally own a 997 and a corvette and there is no way you can compare and american car to a german. German cars are perfect and reliable compared to american. Amir u went too far comparin a porsche to a vette...a porsche is a porsche baby. Did u ever try drivin one and feelin the difference? there is no way ..absolutely no way GM is gettin close to porsche..they are already losin money ..and not to german cars but to japanese cars.. i think da battle here is between japanese and german cars.

hey , i dint go too far buddy. im just forecasting the future. Ive lived in Miami/Dubai. ive got friends in both cities. uber rich kids who have been driving 911's since 18, and lemme tell you that i know for a fact that porsche 911 sales will be dropping most definately. This is the time of the fast and the furious, the 0-60 time. if porsche doesnt start a good marketing campaign they will only be known as the makers of the cayenne.

I dont expect you to understand, afterall, i am posting in a porsche forum.

Btw the only reason i opted for the porsche instead of the c6, is the Dubai menatality "american cars suck". if i was back in miami, i would most definately gotten the c6.

well ikk give u a big example why " american cars suck" just a few days ago clarkson ( top gear) returned a FORD GT car which is over $150,000 just because of an alarm default..what does that tell u buddy? im talkin im american car in general. No wonder by ppl stand with the c6 in miami cuz its an american car..think about da rest of da world;)

Quote:
    kickdown said:
    well ikk give u a big example why " american cars suck" just a few days ago clarkson ( top gear) returned a FORD GT car which is over $150,000 just because of an alarm default..what does that tell u buddy? im talkin im american car in general. No wonder by ppl stand with the c6 in miami cuz its an american car..think about da rest of da world;)

Get your facts right. The alarm was installed in England, by an Englishman and thats the source of his bother. You have a lot of sand in OZ, go pound more of it.

A pitty Australia-based Holden is owned by GM.
    its peoply like you that stick to old STUPID assumptions like "american cars suck"

here is the recent survey of most reliabe cars according to J.D.Power

2002-2005

Compact car: 2002 Chevrolet Prizm

Entry midsize car: 2002 Chevrolet Malibu

Premium midsized car: 2002 Buick Century

Full-size car: 2002 Buick LeSabre

Entry luxury car: 2002 Ford Thunderbird

Mid luxury car: 2002 Lincoln Town Car

Premium luxury car: 2002 Lexus LS 430

Sporty car: 2002 Mazda Miata

Premium sports car: 2002 Porsche 911

Midsized pick-up: 2002 Chevrolet S-10

Light-duty full-sized pick-up: 2002 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Entry SUV: 2002 Honda CR-V

Midsized SUV: 2002 Toyota 4Runner

Full-sized SUV: 2002 GMC Yukon/Yukon XL

Entry luxury SUV: 2002 Lexus RX 300

Premium luxury SUV: 2002 Lexus LX 470

Midsized van: 2002 Ford Windstar

Full-sized van: 2002 Ford E-series Top of page

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/29/Autos/jdpower_depend_tops/

I hardly see any germans in there yet alone ozzies.

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    A pitty Australia-based Holden is owned by GM.
    its peoply like you that stick to old STUPID assumptions like "american cars suck"

here is the recent survey of most reliabe cars according to J.D.Power

2002-2005

Compact car: 2002 Chevrolet Prizm

Entry midsize car: 2002 Chevrolet Malibu

Premium midsized car: 2002 Buick Century

Full-size car: 2002 Buick LeSabre

Entry luxury car: 2002 Ford Thunderbird

Mid luxury car: 2002 Lincoln Town Car

Premium luxury car: 2002 Lexus LS 430

Sporty car: 2002 Mazda Miata

Premium sports car: 2002 Porsche 911

Midsized pick-up: 2002 Chevrolet S-10

Light-duty full-sized pick-up: 2002 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Entry SUV: 2002 Honda CR-V

Midsized SUV: 2002 Toyota 4Runner

Full-sized SUV: 2002 GMC Yukon/Yukon XL

Entry luxury SUV: 2002 Lexus RX 300

Premium luxury SUV: 2002 Lexus LX 470

Midsized van: 2002 Ford Windstar

Full-sized van: 2002 Ford E-series Top of page

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/29/Autos/jdpower_depend_tops/

I hardly see any germans in there yet alone ozzies.

I wouldn't know if US cars suck in general or not. I would think they don't.
    But your list of reliable cars must be very american - I doubt if even half the cars are sold anywhere else than the US...and we don't buy a lot of "midsized vans" in Europe.

If I gave you a list (and the do exist, I'm sure you know) of a European test like this, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't even be a US car on it. Maybe a Jeep Cherokee or something.

American cars are very much built for Americans, and I guess the difference in tastes between Europe and the US is the reason why US cars (in general) aren't exactly the best thing Europeans know.

Europeans are biased and so are Americans.
    I think that also reflects on the not-so-objective surveys

Nicely put Dr Phil

Dr. Phil, I think the error of your reasoning is to assume that brands like "Vette" and "Porsche" have fixed meanings. If GM can manufacture a reliable, attractive car with a nice interior, good build quality, and a factory warranty that will outperform all exotics for 1/5 the cost, and win prestigious races like lemans year after year, and they call that car a "vette", then the meaning of that word changes and the value of that brand increases. Conversely, if porsche starts making cars that are unreliable, expensive, ugly, perform poorly, and can't win prestigious races, then the meaning of that word will change and the value of that brand will decrease.

And if the c6 z06 at $65k will outperform a $200k 911 GT2 on porsche's home turf, and even come close to the performance of a $450k Carrera GT, the meanings of those words and the values of those brands are already shifting. If Porsche doesn't respond by dramatically increasing the performance of their vehicles, then the value of their brand will steadily erode and eventually come to mean "the rip-off brand". Exclusivity alone does not create brand value.

Dr. Phil the strong emotional is key to this discussion. The other day I drove my 430 into a parking lot and a gentlemen in his 50's was just getting into his 996 coupe. As I drove in he walked over to my car and began admiring it and commented what a desireable car it was.

As is my wont, I complimented on his 996 and asked how long he has had it. He stated "three years and it is my fourth Porsche". I asked him whether he planned to get a new one and he stated "I am not sure why I bought this one". The distnct impression was he bought the 996 because it was a Porsche and not for any other reason.

Obviously he is very attached to the Porsche brand but his response regarding purchasing a new one leads me to believe he may analysis his future car purchases more closely.

Quote:
    kickdown said:

I actually happen to like US cars. I like the Cadillac Escalade, I like the Viper and I like a few others out there in the land of the free.
    I just think that US car manufacturers have been VERY dumb by not trying hard and good enough to penetrate European markets. It is a pitty, they could have sold a huge quantitiy of cars over here but they were too much focused on the US market. Reality bites...now most US manufacturers would love to sell their products in other countries too but 90% of their products really suck and/or are too boring.

Another problem is that the Corvette/Cadillac are usually sold over here by Opel dealers. Opel doesn't really have the best reputation over here, their quality improved but Opel is still considered to be a low budget/low income car. You can't sell a Porsche through Volkswagen dealers in Germany, one reason why Porsche seperated from Audi/VW dealerships a while ago.
    Same with GM: if they want to sell a substantial number of Corvettes, Cadillacs, etc. in Europe, they need to say good-bye to Opel and open up their own dealerships/showrooms. And the prices are too high for US cars, I would NEVER pay 62000 Euro for a C6 which is worth only half of that money one day after I put this car on my name. Depreciation of US cars is very bad over here. Only newer Jeep models somehow keep their value.

I'm sure there's some Ferrari owners who don't know why they bought their cars either...

anyway...

I don't like American cars. It's odd since there are BMWs I like, as well as Mitsubishis, Subarus, lotuses, hondas, audis, etc. Maybe it's that German and Japanese cars have always for the most part had sportier and better damped suspensions than their American counterparts. Maybe it's that in the $30k Mitsubishi Evo, they put in nice recaro seats as standard and even in the new Z06, almighty track car, the seats don't look like good track car seats. There's some common link and flavor that to me is in both the German and Japanese performance cars. So I don't want American cars to be more Japanese or more German, I just want that feeling that's common to those other cars and what I think should be common sense. (Although I haven't driven an Italian sports car, I have a feeling it will feel "right" as well). Sorry I can't describe it better I just know it's something that's not American vs. German or Japanese, it's American vs. the rest of the world.

The Z06 will be a monster and I have infinite respect for it. Porsche should make things that are just as crazy, it's what a certain very loyal breed of Porsche enthusiast desperately desire. However, I know I'll never be happy with a vette.

American cars do seem to be getting better recently in both feel and performance so I guess I should wait and see.

Quote:
    hatchback said:
    And if the c6 z06 at $65k will outperform a $200k 911 GT2 on porsche's home turf, and even come close to the performance of a $450k Carrera GT, the meanings of those words and the values of those brands are already shifting. If Porsche doesn't respond by dramatically increasing the performance of their vehicles, then the value of their brand will steadily erode and eventually come to mean "the rip-off brand". Exclusivity alone does not create brand value.

I sincerly doubt the 7:40 Ring time for a standard Z06, but I can see it happen for a "Blue Devil with 600+ bhp. So I figure a 65 k Z06 will have performca in the GT3 (perhaps the RS one as well) range and the 100k++ (supposedly) Blue Devil will be somewhat close to the 200k 997 GT2.

That said I am also confident that these "comparisons" will also have the difference referred to in the Motortrend test with Z06 versus base 997 in another thread. The Vette will be as fast, but will not have the same feel and confidence of it's more expensive competitors.

Remember the old saying, "if it sound to good to be true, it usually...."
    The new Z06 is amazing, but lets ease down the hype a bit

elysium

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804043 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448738 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266356 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90167 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6752 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886080 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834442 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM