Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PSE Question

Hi
    I have just picked up my new 997s - PSE installed and no Chrono.

Its my first porsche and sounds great what ever setting I set the PSE to.

However, what is the default setting PSE on or off. It to seems to sound louder with the orange light off. As I accelerate it orange light comes on then goes off - I presume this is in active mode?

I have only had 30 mins in the car so far !. I am now off out again !!

Re: PSE Question

Dambox - I'm in the same position as you. I don't have Sport Chrono, but will be installing the switch on the center console for the PSE. The PSE is at my dealer right now, pending receipt of the switch. Is there any way you can take a picture of the switch for me/us?

Thanks

Patriot

yes i have also not come across a 997 with pse but without sport chrono, would be interesting to see the outcome!

There is a fix to have the PSE on all the time that has been spelled out in these forums. do a search.

lol how bout just going to the top of the page, it's a sticky thread.. PSE LOUDNESS FIX

I am aware of the loudness fix, what i was asking is clear guidance on use the switch on the console - sometimes i start the car and it is on (ie loud) sometimes not. Also, if the orange light is on - is the PSE on or off etc. This is not in the manual.

Dambox, if its like the PSM switch on the center console, when the LED on the switch is on, that means PSM is off - I remember my salesman saying it seemed backwards but that's the way it was. Perhaps b/c the default position (with the LED off) is PSM on, and to change away from the default you have to push the switch. This seems to match up with your experience, that your PSE is louder when the LED on the switch is off. Hope this helps.

Do tell us how you like the PSE.

Patriot

Hi

Thanks for replies. Here is a post of the switches (no Chrono on the car). I had an M3 before and found the exhaust OK. However with the PSE, I just have no interest at in listening to music. I put the window down and just listen. I have listened to a few sound files posted and have to say in the flesh it is better - a deep growl. I have not disabled the cut off yet, I will live with the car for a little first.

I left it alone for 600 miles before switching to ON all the time. I'm glad I did. You will be too.
    I don't know how to help you because I have Chrono.

lol, they couldn't make the button any more obvious i think the most logical assumption is when the light is on it means the PSE is on... ?

Quote:
    Patriot said:
    Dambox, if its like the PSM switch on the center console, when the LED on the switch is on, that means PSM is off - I remember my salesman saying it seemed backwards but that's the way it was. Perhaps b/c the default position (with the LED off) is PSM on, and to change away from the default you have to push the switch. This seems to match up with your experience, that your PSE is louder when the LED on the switch is off. Hope this helps.

Do tell us how you like the PSE.

Patriot

Per Installation Instructions for PSE:

"For vehicles without the Sport Chrono Package, the deactivated state of the"Sport Exhaust System" is displayed in the new replacement switch, part number, 997.613.129.00.FMH.

For vehicles with the Sport Chrono Package, the active state is displayed by the light-emitting diode in the new button illumination, part number, 997.613.131.00.FMH."

Having played with it now - when the light is off PSE is ON, when the light is ON PSE is off. Just not very intuitive.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I left it alone for 600 miles before switching to ON all the time. I'm glad I did. You will be too.

So, with the new "Sport" button, is there now 2 leds on this switch? And if so, if you press it, both leds will turn on? If you press it again, both leds will turn off?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

So, with the new "Sport" button, is there now 2 leds on this switch? And if so, if you press it, both leds will turn on? If you press it again, both leds will turn off?

For cars WITH Sport Chrono there is only one LED. This LED is ON when PSE is active and OFF when PSE is inactive. Image on button is changed from SPORT to picture of exhaust outlet. I may be wrong, but I think the only change in this button is the image on the face of the button from the word SPORT to the picture of the exhaust outlet. The replacement part, P/N 997.613.131.00.FMH, is the entire "Button Module", which contains the buttons for the Rear Spoiler, PASM, Sport Chrono/PSE and for PSM OFF. This module has a connector on the back that has 11 pins that plug into a mating connector in the center console under the A/C Control Module.

Quote:
    DD694 said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

For cars WITH Sport Chrono there is only one LED. This LED is ON when PSE is active and OFF when PSE is inactive. Image on button is changed from SPORT to picture of exhaust outlet. I may be wrong, but I think the only change in this button is the image on the face of the button from the word SPORT to the picture of the exhaust outlet. The replacement part, P/N 997.613.131.00.FMH, is the entire "Button Module", which contains the buttons for the Rear Spoiler, PASM, Sport Chrono/PSE and for PSM OFF. This module has a connector on the back that has 11 pins that plug into a mating connector in the center console under the A/C Control Module.

I see... Thanks.

This is the switch (Part no. 997.613.129.00.FMH) for PSE in cars without Sport Chrono:

Patriot
    '05 Carrera (Arctic Silver/Black)

Cars without sport chrono AND without PASM (for example 997 Carrera or 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis).

Quote:
    dambox said:
    Having played with it now - when the light is off PSE is ON, when the light is ON PSE is off. Just not very intuitive.

Yes,
    but the 996's PSE works at the same mode.

Here is switch for cars WITH Sport Chrono and PASM.

That one would be for cars WITHOUT Sport-Chrono but with PASM and

Does the PSE give you power along with the sound? cuz it doesnt i think its a really bad investment!...with a GEMBALLA exhaust u get 23 hp and the sound too;)

Quote:
    kickdown said:
    Does the PSE give you power along with the sound? cuz it doesnt i think its a really bad investment!...with a GEMBALLA exhaust u get 23 hp and the sound too;)

No it doesn't give any additonal power at all, but it's still worth it IMHO.
    Also, if it's only the exhaust, then I found the value of 23 hp more very dubious from Gemballa.
    And finally, with the Gemballa exhaust, you void the warranty.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    That one would be for cars WITHOUT Sport-Chrono but with PASM and

Carlos:
    Th button module pictured in my post is P/N 997.613.131.00.FMH, which is called out in the Installation Instructions as the button replacement required for cars WITH Sport Chrono and PASM. This part number is molded into the button module.

I believe those instalation instruction have an error cause I have PSE and Sport Chrono "from factory" and the Sport button remains there and its activates the PSE. The Sport button is not substituted by the PSE ("tail pipes") button like the one on your picture and lacking the sport chrono button.

So I believe that picture is for non-sport chrono cars since there is no sport button, since in sport-chrono cars, the sport button remains and is used for the PSE, not changed for a PSE-specific button.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I believe those instalation instruction have an error cause I have PSE and Sport Chrono "from factory" and the Sport button remains there and its activates the PSE. The Sport button is not substituted by the PSE ("tail pipes") button like the one on your picture and lacking the sport chrono button.

So I believe that picture is for non-sport chrono cars since there is no sport button, since in sport-chrono cars, the sport button remains and is used for the PSE, not changed for a PSE-specific button.

Carlos:

I think you are correct about the Installation Instructions being in error. My dealer told me that they have installed the PSE on cars with Sport Chrono and replaced no buttons. The existing input from the Sport Button to the DME activates the PSE at the same time the Sport function is activated. On cars without Sport Chrono this input to the DME is added via an additional button and the wiring harness that adds a connection at D-6.

Actually, I am re-reading the Installation Instructions as I write this and in another place in the instructions there is this statement:
    "Only for vehicles without sport chrono pakage (I No. 639/640):
    997.613.129.00 FMH Switch ->Vehicles without Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM - I No. 475)
    997.613.131.00 FMH Button ->Vehicles with I no. 475"

With this bit of verbage, it would seem that for cars with Sport Chrono, no change in the buttons is required. Obviously, with your PSE factory installed and Sport Chrono using just the Sport button, it is hard to argue that some change is necessary. I just had a conversation with the service department at my dealer, they are installing my PSE as I write this. They are aware that no additional button change is needed on my car with Sport Chrono. Thanks for the clarification.

Bill, maybe they could add that extra PSE button on yours still and not connect the PSE to the Sport button? that way you could turn on the PSE with its own switch without having to necesarily turn on the Sport mode as well I would rather have it this way intead

How yours going Carlos ,, pleased ??

throt.

PSE or the car in general? actually very pleased with both. The more I get used to the car the more I enjoy it.
    The only strange thing I find is the gas milage which is significantly higher than my 996. With the 997S I average 15liters/100km and with the 996 I used to get 13liters/100km. But who cares, and now that I'm used to the PSE I can's be without it, the stock sound just sounds so decafinated. So the PSE is ON all the time now without the cutoff

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    PSE or the car in general? actually very pleased with both. The more I get used to the car the more I enjoy it.
    The only strange thing I find is the gas milage which is significantly higher than my 996. With the 997S I average 15liters/100km and with the 996 I used to get 13liters/100km. But who cares, and now that I'm used to the PSE I can's be without it, the stock sound just sounds so decafinated. So the PSE is ON all the time now without the cutoff

Slappy Handies

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776736 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441521 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262683 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85097 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5500 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880529 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815663 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM