Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Extracts of fantastic interview!!!!

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

both. the protocal was drive to side by side (appx 40 mph) until you get to the tire wall and hit it until you get to the flag stand. the two runs each which yielded the same results also illustrated the correctness of the proceedure

That's fine, but, you did'nt say whether you were in the passenger seat as you were last time.

i was in the driver seat during some of the runs! and, there were no passengers

Also, you don't mention whether or not the F430 was fully broken in yet.

yes

And was the Gt3 stock or modified?

stock save for the r compound tires and alignment which had nothing to do with the 40 mph on drag race

So, as you can see there are many variables you haven't fully explained for me to accept this as scientific. Just my opinion.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

this simply isn't true. one can easily misshift, fail to shift at the optimal RPM - or maybe even hit the wrong gear - with a real manual

While this is true, the chances of that are slim. I mean, come on, I can teach a 16yrs. old kid to shift properly in a straight and have he/she perfect it in two weeks. I mean really in a straight line it doesn't take skill. Hell, from 40 to 120mph, you could do that with one hand tied behind your back.

interesting since even the SLR (automatic!) driver experienced a misshift. don't know about this particular GT3, but my CGT has been tough to get into 3rd on more than one occasion

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

The gap between CGT and Gallardo will grow from beginning to end. By the end of a mile, the diff would be so huge you'd swear the Gallardo wasn't even participating

I don't know about that. As I said, above 150 mph, the CGT's very high coefficent of drag (.39) comes into play and that's where the gallardo starts to catch up a bit.

i can assure you - again from direct experience, the speeds at which anything starts to slow the rate of CGT acceleration are above at least 180!. the cgt would be so far in front of the gallardo by 180, batmobile thrust jets wouldn't help it get into the same zip code

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

interesting since even the SLR (automatic!) driver experienced a misshift. don't know about this particular GT3, but my CGT has been tough to get into 3rd on more than one occasion

Yes, but is that the driver's fault or is that a mechanical failure, the car's fault?

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

i can assure you - again from direct experience, the speeds at which anything starts to slow the rate of CGT acceleration are above at least 180!. the cgt would be so far in front of the gallardo by 180, batmobile thrust jets wouldn't help it get into the same zip code

Ha ha very good! MotorTrend has an annual 1 mile test. Maybe, they'll be able to get their hands on a CGT next time. I know, MotorTrends just another rag...

The gallardo wouldn't even be close by 150 and farther back by 180. The CGT is in a totally different league. Thus it's $425,000 compared to $150,000 In this case you do get what you pay for.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    the 430 with steel brakes is not a proper track car as all you can smell is burning fluid.

Jeez Ben, do you really not believe that a fluid and pad change would cure the problem? Good grief.

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    the 430 with steel brakes is not a proper track car as all you can smell is burning fluid.

Jeez Ben, do you really not believe that a fluid and pad change would cure the problem? Good grief.

Gary

i've no idea. i'm just reporting what i've seen on two seperate track days after a mere couple of laps each time. changing street pads for squeaky ones which don't work well cold everytime you wanna go to the track is not something that is necessary everytime you wanna take a ceramic equipped fcar to the track though.

FWIW

I don't know why the pseudo physicists on this board think that a car (Lambo) with 100hp less than a CGT and weighs about the same (within 30 pounds according to the curb weights published on the web) would out accelerate the Porsche. I've always been baffled at the acceleration differences between other Audi products and their respective competitors (BMW always manages to put a half second or more over the equivalent Audi model and it's not always due to curb weight differences).

Nonetheless, let the record stand that R&T (another 'rag' as some might say but possessing test equipment that no one on this board has) recorded a 2.1 second difference in favor of the CGT over the Gallardo and that was just to 100mph. Gallardo = 9.1 and CGT = 7.0. There's too much driveline friction & other stuff going on with the Gallardo to offer up a serious challenge to the Porsche. On wet roads however, I'm sure the AWD would be an obvious advantage.

Re: FWIW

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    I don't know why the pseudo physicists on this board think that a car (Lambo) with 100hp less than a CGT and weighs about the same (within 30 pounds according to the curb weights published on the web) would out accelerate the Porsche.

You must be a functional illiterate, because, no one here has said or implied a gallardo would out accelerate a CGT!

Perhaps, you could try and make better sense next time.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

i've no idea. i'm just reporting what i've seen on two seperate track days after a mere couple of laps each time. changing street pads for squeaky ones which don't work well cold everytime you wanna go to the track is not something that is necessary everytime you wanna take a ceramic equipped fcar to the track though.

I have zero problems with my iron brakes at the track, and they don't squeak on the road. Just choose a good dual purpose pad rather than an all-out race pad. IMO, a good part of the problem is the fluid rather than the pad anyway, flush the factory stuff that is designed to last a long time, put in Motul 600 and flush every six months or year. I know it shouldn't bother me, but I really would not enjoy track days as much with a ceramic-equpped car knowing the cost of pads and rotors is so insane.

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

I have zero problems with my iron brakes at the track, and they don't squeak on the road. Just choose a good dual purpose pad rather than an all-out race pad. IMO, a good part of the problem is the fluid rather than the pad anyway, flush the factory stuff that is designed to last a long time, put in Motul 600 and flush every six months or year. I know it shouldn't bother me, but I really would not enjoy track days as much with a ceramic-equpped car knowing the cost of pads and rotors is so insane.

Gary

yeah ceramic consumbles aren't cheap though the rotors should last a very long time if you take care of replacing pads well before you "have" to. ferrari's ceramic consumables are much more $ than porsche's but anecdotal evidence suggests ferrari's stuff is lasting longer - different manufacturers for each.

i'm fairly certain the 430 owner won't wanna switch pads but i will bring up the fluid (again). as i said earlier, he claims the 430 comes with proper track fluid from the factory.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    i'm fairly certain the 430 owner won't wanna switch pads but i will bring up the fluid (again). as i said earlier, he claims the 430 comes with proper track fluid from the factory.

If it does, it's the first time. Seriously, manufacturers of road cars, even Ferraris and Porsches, have a lot of factors to consider when they spec their brake fluid, and high on the list is longevity...and low on the list is track capability. I'd be amazed if he didn't see a big improvement with a fluid upgrade.

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

If it does, it's the first time. Seriously, manufacturers of road cars, even Ferraris and Porsches, have a lot of factors to consider when they spec their brake fluid, and high on the list is longevity...and low on the list is track capability. I'd be amazed if he didn't see a big improvement with a fluid upgrade.

Gary

i'm with you on this one gary

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    I don't know why the pseudo physicists on this board think that a car (Lambo) with 100hp less than a CGT and weighs about the same (within 30 pounds according to the curb weights published on the web) would out accelerate the Porsche.

You must be a functional illiterate, because, no one here has said or implied a gallardo would out accelerate a CGT!

Blah blah blah. Name calling?!? How old are you? Wasn't it you svtrader who typed the following?

Quote:
    Btw, I saw and I'm sure you did too, a video where a gallardo and the CGT and another Porsche "dragged race" and the CGT was only a few car length ahead of the gallardo. If anything, I would take these spur of the moment street races with a grain of salt.

Ok maybe I misread it but there's no need to get all uppity and pretend that nothing was posted on this board referencing a race between a CGT and Gallardo.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:

Blah blah blah. Name calling?!? How old are you? Wasn't it you svtrader who typed the following?

Quote:
    Btw, I saw and I'm sure you did too, a video where a gallardo and the CGT and another Porsche "dragged race" and the CGT was only a few car length ahead of the gallardo. If anything, I would take these spur of the moment street races with a grain of salt.

Ok maybe I misread it but there's no need to get all uppity and pretend that nothing was posted on this board referencing a race between a CGT and Gallardo.

Jeff,

Sounds to me like the pot calling the kettle black. Exactly, what do you think "pseudo physicists" is? If not name calling. hmmmm?

Secondly, I didn't pretend anything. You're making things up. You admit to misreading...that's a mistake and fine by me. No big deal. But, don't start twisting what I said. Looks like you need some growing up to do yourself.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:

Quote:

Jeff,

Sounds to me like the pot calling the kettle black. Exactly, what do you think "pseudo physicists" is? If not name calling. hmmmm?

Secondly, I didn't pretend anything. You're making things up. You admit to misreading...that's a mistake and fine by me. No big deal. But, don't start twisting what I said. Looks like you need some growing up to do yourself.

Shields up!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777186 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441684 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262777 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260944 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85216 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880651 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815930 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM