Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Pictures of my new car and my old car

I will post a few of both now and some of the new car later.

Phil

And the fronts.......

One more of the front view.....

Re: And the fronts.......

seeing those 996 lights next to the 997's really make you wonder what Porsche was thinking

Congrats.... guess we wont be seeing as much of you for a while

Re: Pictures of my new car and my old car

And what I saw at the dealer when I picking up my car.....
    Phil

Re: And the fronts.......

Congratulations, the new car looks fantastic. And I agree with 2k5c2scab, the 996 mk1 headlights look horrible compared to the 997 or even the 996 mk2.

Last picture for the night......
    Phil

Congrats! Much better looking than the 996 IMHO. I've got the same color cab. on order, Sept/Oct delivery. Which dealer you use?

Quote:
    TerryR said:
    Congrats! Much better looking than the 996 IMHO. I've got the same color cab. on order, Sept/Oct delivery. Which dealer you use?

Newport Auto Center (Newport Beach Porsche). I have purchased 6 cars from them and they have always treated me fairly. I found a salesman who will tolerate me, Elden Lauterbach. He kept me informed thru each step of the process....ordering, manufacturing, on ship, off ship, PDI, delivery.

Phil

Phil,
    Looking good !!!! Congratulations. I bet you can't stop smiling. I know I can't

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Phil,
    Looking good !!!! Congratulations. I bet you can't stop smiling. I know I can't

So, did you get your car yet??? If so, what are your first impressions?

Phil

Phil, Yes I did and I can't stop going to garage. It is like an addiction. You were absolutly right about the PSE on cab. Stock exhaust is more than I can handle. It is very loud. Color Red with black is something on cab. The hard top is a pain to put on and take out but gives the car another look. I took it off already. You actually have to screw two bolts to the body and very funny how it is designed. I was told they used this design as the 996 had a lot of ratteling with their hard top. The sport shifter is pretty nice but the best thing so far is the sound of the engine with the top down. It's like you are playing video game. I will post picture probably tomorrow. I been up since 5:00 AM as I could not sleep. You know what I mean
    These cars are amazing. They could not make it any better IMHO. Take care and lots of fun.

Congrats and thanks for the pictures. Guess you dont get to much traffic on your street.

silverrules,
    I had the hardtop with my 996 since it came with it. The only time it was on the car was for the trip home from the dealer. I put it on a rack and didn't use it again until I sold the car last week. It was somewhat of a pain to install it on the car. Then I got stuck helping take it off when the car got to its new home. Since my car is a garage queen and I live in Southern California, the soft top is all I need.

So, are you going to cancel your PSE order?

Phil

Quote:
    Raptor said:
    Congrats and thanks for the pictures. Guess you dont get to much traffic on your street.

Thanks! The pictures were actually taken at my sister's house. They live on an island and the traffic isn't too bad.

Phil

Congrats, great choice

Yes, those early 996 headlights where horrible

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Since my car is a garage queen and I live in Southern California, the soft top is all I need.

I thought I would only use my 997S on weekends. Then, weekends became just one day a week of driving. After a couple months, I only had a few hundred miles on it and I was thinking "What the hell did I buy this car for? To sit inside my garage?" At the rate I was going, I would have been lucky to reach the break-in point within two years. So I decided to take my car to work one or two days a week. Now I drive the car to work everyday. After a long day at work, I look forward to getting in the 997S and taking it home. Anyways, my advice is to enjoy the new-ness of the car for a while and then afterwards, drive it as much as you can .

Very nice. Front is a big improvement over the 996, although I liked the MK1 lights better than the MK2. MK2 were a bit strangly shaped in my opinion. The back doesn't look that much different. Looked at a 997 convertible next to a 996 conv at my dealer. Kinda "hoped" it looked a bit wider.

But that's not that important, the 997 is a great drive

Congrats, me too am enjoying the 997S cabrio for 1500km now...It's really fantastic and makes the 996 (wich was a wonderful car too) old .It's almost unbelievable that porsche made such progress in drivingfun in this car...
    It combines yhe looks and directness off the 993 and the comfort and "easyness" off the 996

Yes..the 996 looks now so old.. It makes the 997 even more perfect

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    I will post a few of both now and some of the new car later.

Phil

Really very , very nice! Thanks for the pics. I'm looking forward to the other pics of your car. Enjoy it!

Congratulations Night and day between the front ends. 996 lights look like runny eggs Enjoy in good health

very nice combo congrads!!! nice pics also~!I got arctic also:!

Very nice 997Scabriolet

I've always loved 996 300bhp design, specially the front headlights, don't tell me why but its like this

Congrats

Yeah, the new pointy tail lights and the quads. Totally unnecessary embellishments that will date the car. Bummer.

It seems the only thing that saved the car from pointy triangle headlights is the earlier once-piece "micky mouse" ear versions. Thank God for those.

Porsche wants the 997 to reference the earlier 911s. Do you see anyplace on those original 911s that have pointy triangles? WHY did they bring in that Nissan Z pointy stuff?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    After a couple months, I only had a few hundred miles on it and I was thinking "What the hell did I buy this car for? To sit inside my garage?"

My car is a "garage queen" because my office is in my home. It is not as if I drive another car to the office while the Porsche is sitting here. I do have a SUV as an "extra" car (that does get used for some chores), but I take the Porsche whenever possible. Because of this I had a guards red '99 (that would have been 7 years old in July) that had not faded at all. The hardtop that had been in a bag hanging on my garage wall since the day I purchased the car color matched the car perfectly when I reattached it to sell the car.

Phil

Phil,
    The car looks GREAT !
    Cool to see pics of it next to your 996.
    I was going to buy the top but then I read in some PORSCHE literature about how much better the 997's top was for year round driving then the 996 and heard even the 996's wasn't bad.

Question : Which options did you get again ?

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    The back doesn't look that much different. Looked at a 997 convertible next to a 996 conv at my dealer. Kinda "hoped" it looked a bit wider.

I wished I had taken a picture of the rear ends from a little different angle. The 997 does appear to be quite a bit wider when compared to the 996. The biggest difference in the rear is the roof hump. It appears to be MUCH smaller on the 997. Everyone who saw the two cars together noticed the considerable difference. So, for those who hate the cab hump, it is much less on the 997. For a really big hump compare the 997 with the 993's which had a roof that folded to this big lump on the back of the car.
    Phil

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Phil,
    The car looks GREAT !
    Cool to see pics of it next to your 996.
    I was going to buy the top but then I read in some PORSCHE literature about how much better the 997's top was for year round driving then the 996 and heard even the 996's wasn't bad.

Question : Which options did you get again ?

Thanks!!!!

The soft top on the 997 is better than the top on the 996. It is fairly quiet on the highway. It operates faster. And because it has been redesigned it folds smaller which allows the car to have a smaller roof hump (the panel that covers the roof) than the 996. You can notice a considerable difference when you see them side by side. The 997 roof cover appears to be flatter and lower.

My options were:
    997 S Cabriolet in artic silver
    Black full leather
    Power seat package
    Heated front seats
    Sport Chrono package
    Navigation
    Porsche crest in headrest
    Colored center wheel caps

I passed on the Bose sound system since I try to use the car topless as much as possible and in that situation there is no such thing as high fidelity. I appreciate good sound and have some pretty trick stuff at home, but I felt that since I didn't need or desire it in the previous cab I could live without it in this car. And after hearing the standard 997 system I think it sounds MUCH better than the Hi-Fi option on my 996. I would opt for a better system in coupe, but didn't feel the need in a cab. I enjoy the sound of the engine so much that even when my sound system is on I keep it low to enjoy what is going on behind me. Once I get on the highway in 6th gear I might start to raise the volume a bit. Each to their own......

Phil

Obviously I LOVE the Artic/ Black.
    I just got a message my car was completed Monday 4-25. It's scheduled for Check point 8 on 5-2 whatever that means. What does that mean Phil ?

Congrats! Now go drive it!

Cheers!
    Ray

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777516 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441816 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262820 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85297 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5600 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816108 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM