Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Which supercar would you like to own and drive until the...

Interesting poll on Autoweek.com:
    Which one of the following modern-day supercars would you most like to own and drive until the wheels fell off?
    Maserati MC12
    Ferrari Enzo
    Porsche Carrera GT
    Lamborghini Murcielago
    Mercedes McLaren SLR

As of Saturday, April 23, 7:19 PM PDT, the Porsche CGT had 40.4% of the votes (2258). The next highest was the Ferrari Enzo with 27.6% (1541 votes).

Re: Which supercar would you like to own and drive until the...

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Interesting poll on Autoweek.com:
    Which one of the following modern-day supercars would you most like to own and drive until the wheels fell off?
    Maserati MC12
    Ferrari Enzo
    Porsche Carrera GT
    Lamborghini Murcielago
    Mercedes McLaren SLR

As of Saturday, April 23, 7:19 PM PDT, the Porsche CGT had 40.4% of the votes (2258). The next highest was the Ferrari Enzo with 27.6% (1541 votes).

yeah, but you might as well lump the MC12 and Enzo together for purposes of the poll since they're both basically the same car. if you do that, the enzo/mc12 is near 35% while the CGT is 41%. i couldn't figure out why the CGT has been maintaining a lead over those two until i realized it was "to drive until the wheels fell off" and it looks like the participants have been voting for the porsche to insure mroe than a few weeks of driving fun

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    yeah, but you might as well lump the MC12 and Enzo together for purposes of the poll since they're both basically the same car.

I shared the same opinion until I read an article a week ago. One of the Ferrari test-drivers said the Enzo was developed -- if I remember the percentages correctly -- 30% on track and 70% on road, opposite of the MC12.

Psst, here is the secret as to why. THE CGT IS A CONVERTIBLE!

It would be my pick(it really is a fabulous car) but for its plummeting new and resale value. I just saw a NEW CGT advertised for $400,000 in Autoweek. It reminds me of the stockmarket.

Re: Which supercar would you like to own and drive until the

What? Reason #1 to choose a supercar: "BECUASE ITS A CONVERTIBLE!"???... I don't think so Nick that may be the reason you may choose but not for the rest of the wrold.

Well, I think Nick has a point... It is diverse... the CGT can be seen as a coupe, but also as a cab, because of it's hard top... I think that that is important to people who spand half a million dollars on a car. I myself would rather have a coupe, but my prio's: porsche, coue, and then the rest... so if the enzo would have been a hardtop, I still would buy ten CGT;s before I'd spend any dollar on a ferrari... but hey... I'm strange
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    What? Reason #1 to choose a supercar: "BECUASE ITS A CONVERTIBLE!"???... I don't think so Nick that may be the reason you may choose but not for the rest of the world.

Hnmm then why did 996 Cabs out sell 996 coupes? Why were more 360 Spiders sold tham 360 coupes? Convertibles are always more desireable.I would wager 90% of the poll participants have no idea regarding the respective performance of any of these cars.

Carlos, stick to motorcycles.

Would've gone for the Zonda

....if they'd bothered to include that 600hp devil

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Psst, here is the secret as to why. THE CGT IS A CONVERTIBLE!

It would be my pick(it really is a fabulous car) but for its plummeting new and resale value. I just saw a NEW CGT advertised for $400,000 in Autoweek. It reminds me of the stockmarket.

that and the fact it doesn't have a granny tranny. besides, the poll was which one to drive the wheels off rather than garage. given a front brake job on an enzo is 2X the price it is on the CGT despite the fact they both use the same technology and size of brakes, this is a fairly good example of the maintenance (why it's 2X i don't know) - as is the racket they have running with Shell for the $60/qt oil. ferraris also have to have fairly expensive service intervals relative to the once/year oil changes of the porsche. and, the CGT comes with a 1/3 longer warranty than the ferrari - likely for a reason. again, this poll was about which one to drive the wheels off - rather than some exclusitivity based poll.

lastly, anyone who has paid "market" for the enzo (ie: any one other than the 400 MSRP buyers) WILL lose more on their enzo (especially if driven) than will CGT buyers.

btw, if it's because the CGT is a convertible, how come the convertible enzo (er: MC12 which is much more exclusive than the original enzo) did so poorly in the poll at 7% and way last place? this is the same magazine who had a single journalist do a 430 review which you reposted excerps under the heading "it looks like they (the single journalist) like it". they is one guy in that case while 6k and counting are saying in the same magazine what they like.

truth is nick, i agree with a lot of what you have to say about porsche when it comes to the non-enthusiast models. however, the enthusiast models (GT2,GT3,CGT) run with or beat their fcar counterparts for performance (and exclusitivity) for often 2/3rds or less than the dough. i know, i know, "how can they be exclusive if they there are so many different 911 models". that silliness doesn't keep you from bagging on the CGT despite it's vast departure from 911 style. bottomline is, if it ain't an fcar, you're gonna bash it.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Hnmm then why did 996 Cabs out sell 996 coupes? Why were more 360 Spiders sold tham 360 coupes? Convertibles are always more desireable.I would wager 90% of the poll participants have no idea regarding the respective performance of any of these cars.

Carlos, stick to motorcycles.

Simple, they are not SUPERCARS when you are into the market for a supercar, its a nice plus if its open top, but not the main reason you buy it. You are paying tons of $$$ for a realively small performance increase compared to the price increase, all that for that extra performance and feel that separates those supercars from the mere mortal regular sportcars like the F360 Spider or 911 Cab.

BTW, what do motocycles have to do with it

Ben, am I biased against Porsche? Yes, but not against their cars. You get good performnce. Having said that, I must point out that for considerably less money you could tune a number of cars and out perform any Porsche (including your CGT) or Ferrari. I criticise the CGT only with respect to value which is directly related to Porsche as a company and not the car.

So what is important? Performance? Styling? Reliability? Cost? Resale? Or does it matter? If someone offered to trade your CGT for an Enzo what would you do? (I think I know but I would you have you receive extensive therapy)

To some like you, Mike and other CGT owners, cost and resale does not matter. To a person like myself, knowing I am taking a 10-20% depreciation hit when I take ownership is something I will not accept. I learned my lesson with my 996. Never again! Porsche needs to hear from its owners that it does matter to them and the fact the car performs well and is a Porsche is not enough.

Carlos, I was facetiously implying your knowledge base is motorcycles and not sport cars.

So if the cost equasion is paramount to you, why didn't you get a Ford????

The Gt 40 has the best upside resale wise. Maybe you missed the boat on that.

Or better yet, you could have gotten a new Ford Ranger pick up truck for $9999.95 and put the other $200K into Google stock.

Quote:
    nberry said: If someone offered to trade your CGT for an Enzo what would you do? (I think I know but I would you have you receive extensive therapy)

yes, you know what i would do if someone offered a $1 mil+ market value enzo for my sub $400k market value car (exactly what anyone would do if offered $2.50 for their $1). of course i'd immediately dump the enzo, and buy another CGT with the proceeds. i might even buy two: one for absolute thrashing and one to keep nice - and pocket the remaining $200k. if both cars were the same money, i'd tell em to keep the enzo as my car is much more fun for me (convertible without granny tranny) and the way ferrari has set up customers for consumables, maintenance and out of warranty repairs sucks a##.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    nberry said: If someone offered to trade your CGT for an Enzo what would you do? (I think I know but I would you have you receive extensive therapy)

yes, you know what i would do if someone offered a $1 mil+ market value enzo for my sub $400k market value car (exactly what anyone would do if offered $2.50 for their $1). of course i'd immediately dump the enzo, and buy another CGT with the proceeds. i might even buy two: one for absolute thrashing and one to keep nice - and pocket the remaining $200k. if both cars were the same money, i'd tell em to keep the enzo as my car is much more fun for me (convertible without granny tranny) and the way ferrari has set up customers for consumables, maintenance and out of warranty repairs sucks a##.

WHew! I was worried you would not think that through. I should have know better.

James, Ford depreciate just like Porsche's but not as much. However I do like your Google strategy.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:

WHew! I was worried you would not think that through. I should have know better.

James, Ford depreciate just like Porsche's but not as much. However I do like your Google strategy.

No, Fords do appreciate. The GT has a msrp of 130K. They are changing hands for 235-250K, which is way better ROI
    than any recent or new Ferrari.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:

No, Fords do appreciate. The GT has a msrp of 130K. They are changing hands for 235-250K, which is way better ROI

think the GT MSRP just got bumped to $185 from appx $145. 430s run about $195 and are changing hands at $300 (of course you'll have to pay your dealer a $21k commission if you want another at MSRP but still)!

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:

think the GT MSRP just got bumped to $185 from appx $145. 430s run about $195 and are changing hands at $300 (of course you'll have to pay your dealer a $21k commission if you want another at MSRP but still)!

Is a Ferrari 430 worth 300K ?

No doubt its a great car, but is it worth more than a
    Lambo Murcielegro?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:

Is a Ferrari 430 worth 300K ?

it most certainly isn't to me, but it obviously is to others.

It would be a toss.. between the 1988 CTR yellowbird or the 959... either or both are GREAT all rounders and have the performance, to match most anything out today even.

-Eric

Quote:
    Porsche Fan said:
    ... or the 959 ... ... the performance to match most anything out today even.

-Eric

Just curious.

Wouldn't an X50 996TT keep up with or out-run a 959?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Porsche Fan said:

-Eric

Just curious.

It would, but Porsche Fan said it would "match most anything out today" which I think is true. And it would sure look good doing it too

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Porsche Fan said:

-Eric

Just curious.

It would certainly be cheaper to maintain.

Quote:
    Porsche Fan said:
    It would be a toss.. between the 1988 CTR yellowbird or the 959... either or both are GREAT all rounders and have the performance, to match most anything out today even.

-Eric

If only the CGT and X50 996TT included this superb 959 feature:

The basic suspensions were nothing other than predictable: double wishbones in the front as well as the back. What amazed us were the adjustable ride height as well as the adjustable damping.
    The adjustable ride height function was designed to achieve high speed stability without hurting low speed ride. The driver could select a ride height of 12 cm, 15 cm or 18 cm according to need. For example, if the car was traveling off-road, he might need the largest ride height to prevent the car from bottom out or damaging by rocks. If he was just traveling at ease, he might also expect a comfortable ride which was only achievable by the longest suspension travel. However, if he was going to have a 300 km/h excitement in Autobahn highway, he must want the lowest ride height which lowered the center of gravity and stiffened the suspensions (by the shorter suspension travel as well as the adjustable damping) thus enhanced cornering stability.

The 3 ride height settings could be selected manually in the dashboard, or it could be done automatically by the computer. According to Porsche, FOR SAFETY REASON, no matter in what setting the computer would lower the ride height to at most 15 cm when speed exceeded 50 mph and further lowered to 12 cm when exceeding 100 mph. Well, it seemed that Porsche was either regarding its customers as ordinary drivers or it wanted to add another gimmick for advertising purpose.

And here's an exciting description of hitting 200 MPH in a Yellowbird approximately two years ago:

As seen at 212mph on the History Channel - Modern Marvels: Autobahn

James M. Clash
    Forbes Global
    Adventurer

There are few places on earth where you can drive a passenger car as fast as you want. The Autobahn is one of them.

When Alois Ruf, owner of Ruf Automobile, invited me to Germany to attempt 200mph (322kmh) on the Autobahn in his historic Yellowbird, I was skeptical. Okay, the Yellowbird is capable of such speeds--it was the first production car ever to shatter the elusive 322kmh barrier, in 1987. And yes, I had driven that fast before, twice--in a Lamborghini Murcielago and in an open-wheel Indy race car owned by Sam Schmidt--on large oval tracks with no other cars around. But on the Autobahn, with traffic, in a 16-year-old relic?

"I'm not joking," Ruf repeated. "Come see." So I did.

For the unaware, Ruf enjoys a cult following of sports-car purists even though it has produced only about 400 cars since its inception in 1963. In addition to souping up stock Porsches--911s, Boxsters--Ruf builds its own cars which run at mind-boggling speeds that marvel even Porsche. The Ruf R Turbo, for example, with 520 horsepower, tops out at 350kmh--faster than Porsche's new 10-cylinder Carrera GT. In its designs, though, Ruf is careful to preserve a car's understated lines and integrity. No nitro-burning, flashy muscle cars here. You could pull up to that 350kmh R Turbo at a stoplight and think it was a normal car. [One of Ruf's customer cars, a yellow homebrew Porsche 911 (520 bhp) with computer-controlled rear spoiler and leather-clad roll cage, was featured at 212mph on History Channel's Modern Marvels: Autobahn - at night, in the rain.]

It's no surprise then, that when I first spied the Yellowbird at Ruf's Pfaffenhausen, Germany, headquarters, I mistook it for a customer's car. Far from it. With twin turbos producing 470 horsepower, and weighing just 1,150 kilograms, the Yellowbird clocked a blistering 340kmh in 1987 with Le Mans winner Paul Frère behind the wheel in a famous speed shootout at Volkswagon's Ehra-Lessien proving ground, leaving Ferrari and Lamborghini in the dust. Recently the car has been refurbished, and I was to be given the honor of taking it back to speed.

More than half of the 11,000-kilometer German Autobahn system has no speed limit. It is perfectly legal there, for example, to pass a police car at 210kmh. In fact, according to Mark Rask, author of American Autobahn, the average speed for cars is 130kmh; at any given moment, 15% are traveling 155kmh or faster. Surprisingly, the Autobahn is safer than U.S. highways. In 2001, the death rate there was 27% lower (0.59 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled versus 0.81 for the U.S Interstates).

Why? Drivers in Germany must be at least 18 years old and fork over more than $1,000 to undergo 24 hours of rigorous private instruction, including training on the Autobahn, and pass a comprehensive written test, before obtaining a license. (Compare the U.S. with no required training and a minimum age of 16 in many states.) Also, unlike in the U.S., Germans use the left lane only for passing. Roads over there are built better, too (a 70-centimeter roadbed versus 28 centimeters in the U.S.)--and are better maintained. So are German cars made by BMW and Mercedes, which handle easier at high speed and sustain less collision damage.

But extreme speeds, even on the Autobahn, present their own problems. A slight curve that, at 160kmh seems like a straight, becomes quite challenging at twice that speed. Second, no matter how well-behaved German drivers are, there is traffic. Slower cars in the right lane have trouble judging closing speeds of really fast-moving cars because they have not experienced them (240kmh maybe, but not 320). A driver may glance in his rearview mirror, see you as a dot in the distance, then leisurely pull into your lane to pass the car in front of him--thinking he has ample time. Truth is when approaching at 320kmh, you close on a car traveling 160kmh as if you're doing 160kmh and he's standing still!

Our plan was to try at night on the A96 between Mindelheim and Munich, when few vehicles prowl the road. That is when Alois--and Wolfgang Weber, Ruf's professional driver--occasionally test at top speed to ensure their cars have 100% of the power and performance finicky customers are promised. At 11:30 p.m. the night we tried, the roads were still damp from a day of Bavarian downpours.

The Yellowbird is like a missile, and I'm not the first to describe it that way. The rapid acceleration and accompanying noise is akin to having a jet engine strapped to your back. Each gear shift feels like jettisoning stages of a rocket. After "getting used" to it, I managed to hit 305kmh, but night-blindness and an unfamiliarity with the road made me increasingly tense. Tense isn't good at those speeds. Sensing my discomfort, Alois--an incredibly gracious host--announced a change of plans. We would try again the next morning on the A81 Autobahn between Würzburg and Heilbronn after rush-hour but before lunch.

Sure enough, the next day the roads were dry and I could see a lot better. But there was traffic. Not a lot, but enough to make me pause. Test driver Weber, who would act as my copilot in the passenger seat, assured me we wouldn't try unless we found a proper break. So out onto the A81 we went. I would build up to 225kmh in fourth gear and try to maintain it in the left lane, picking off scattered cars and trucks while awaiting a long, clear stretch of road. Often we found what we thought was one and accelerate, only to see more traffic and immediately have to back off. At 290kmh, it doesn't matter whether traffic is in the right or left lane--we just couldn't take a chance.

After several nail-biting attempts, we found a promising gap between the Mockmuhl and Neuenstadt exits. I shifted into fifth, flipped on the high beams and matted the throttle. The rocket was launched. Weber began calling out numbers: "275, 290, 300." I was too busy to look at anything but the road, now reduced to a long, thinning string. I straddled the two lanes to see better ahead, and for stability (we were in a gentle left-hander). "Still okay," shouted Weber, "305, 310, 315." The front of the car suddenly felt very light, as if we were about to take off, and all that was peripheral--trees, guardrail, signs--became a blur. "Go for it, go, go," screamed Weber maniacally, with his thick German accent--then suddenly, "Yeah, you did it!" I immediately eased off the gas, and none too soon. A quarter-mile ahead a truck lumbered along in the right lane. I carefully moved all the way into the left lane and, for the first time in what seemed like hours, took a breath.

When we returned to the shop Alois and his wife, Estonia, like proud parents, were there to congratulate me. I had done 324kmh. Estonia gave me a Ruf windbreaker, signifying my initiation into their speed club. On a roll, we decided to take the R Turbo out. I managed to push it even further--to 336kmh, a personal best for me. But the newer car, with 50 more horsepower and ABS brakes, runs a lot smoother and while I got a speed rush, it wasn't as intense as in the Yellowbird.

Ruf is building a new prototype nicknamed "Godzilla" capable of speeds approaching 360kmh. If you see Alois, tell him I want to test it--but on a track this time, not the Autobahn. I have no more nails left to bite.

Columnist Clash is the author of To The Limits: Pushing Yourself to the Edge--In Adventure and in Business (John Wiley & Sons, 2003).

Sidebar - But If You Really Must . . .

To run at speeds above 240kmh, a driver should have some training. Then you'll have to find the right car and road. You can rent a top-end BMW or Mercedes from Hertz or Avis in Germany. The Germans, in their wisdom, put governors on most of their own cars, limiting top speeds to 250kmh--not too shabby. Unless you're night-blind like me, try in the wee hours of the morning, when there's light traffic, and on a dry road. Preferably the day before, find a stretch between two exits with a long straightaway, then traverse it several times to become familiar with the terrain. The Bavarian Autobahns offer many such areas. Work up to top speed gradually, and be smooth. Jerky movements at high speed easily unsettle a car. Also your vision becomes tunnel-like, and this takes a while to get comfortable with. How about elsewhere in the world? Japan has a surplus of well-built roads, but this is not a land geared for legal speed. Australia has thousands of kilometers of pavement in the barren bush, but you can't be sure it's in shape for this kind of driving. As for going all the way up to 322kmh, it is difficult and dangerous, even with training. You would have to bring your own Lamborghini or Ferrari into Germany, or get Alois Ruf to lend you one of his cars.

Sources:
    http://www.911turbo.com/turboclub/history/959/959.php
    http://www.geocities.com/american_autobahn/americanautobahnreviews.html

Quote:
    Porsche Fan said:
    It would be a toss.. between the 1988 CTR yellowbird or the 959... either or both are GREAT all rounders

If I'm not mistaken, the Ruf CTR Yellowbird pumped out 470 bhp in RWD without traction control and possessed 1988 suspension and tires. Siiiiiingin' in the rain....la la... la la la...

Dr. Phil's crooning seems to be infectious.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778834 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442177 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263045 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261331 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85564 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5774 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881013 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817154 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM