Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Are these repairable?

Hey guys,

A couple of years ago my dad got run off the road in his 1991 Mercedes 500SL. We had AMG wheels on there and now have the factory ones on the car but the wheels have just been sitting in the garage for a while. Today he asked me to find out of they are fixable or what wheels to put on the car. So, here are some pictures...and the question is...are they repairable? If so, at what cost? Thanks guys!

Thanks again! All 4 wheels are like this pretty much.

Re: Are these repairable?

1. there are specialized companies who offer repairs for damaged alloy rims.
    2. personally, I would throw the rims away, they pose a safety risk, even if "repaired".
    If your dad just wants to use his car for the city at lower speeds, he may be happy with "repaired" rims.
    If he wants to be 100% sure that the rims are safe, get rid of them.

Over here in Germany, repairing alloy rims is not recommended and companies who offer such services are criticized for doing this. I also remember there was a test in a magazine once about such repairs and they weren't happy with the results.
    In other countries where speed isn't that important, repairing such rims may be a cheap solution but I really wouldn't repair alloy rims. Just a personal opinion.

1. there are specialized companies who offer repairs for damaged alloy rims.
    2. personally, I would throw the rims away, they pose a safety risk, even if "repaired".
    If your dad just wants to use his car for the city at lower speeds, he may be happy with "repaired" rims.
    If he wants to be 100% sure that the rims are safe, get rid of them.

Over here in Germany, repairing alloy rims is not recommended and companies who offer such services are criticized for doing this. I also remember there was a test in a magazine once about such repairs and they weren't happy with the results.
    In other countries where speed isn't that important, repairing such rims may be a cheap solution but I really wouldn't repair alloy rims. Just a personal opinion.

Alrighty. The Safety issue seems like a big problem so I am taking your advise. Thanks man!

So I am changing the topic here instead of posting another thread and clogging up the forums...He said he wants some new wheels on the SL, so any recomendations? Here is a pic of the car, sorry I wish I had a better one.

any suggestions?

Alrighty. The Safety issue seems like a big problem so I am taking your advise. Thanks man!

So I am changing the topic here instead of posting another thread and clogging up the forums...He said he wants some new wheels on the SL, so any recomendations? Here is a pic of the car, sorry I wish I had a better one.

any suggestions?

ah we used to have a W220 S class. solid as a tank. they don't make mercs like they used to

ah we used to have a W220 S class. solid as a tank. they don't make mercs like they used to

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Is W220 the generation code?

Quote:
    Moogle said:

oops i meant W140, yes its the code and it refers to the S class from 1991 - 1998

oops i meant W140, yes its the code and it refers to the S class from 1991 - 1998

Quote:
    Porsche930S said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:

It is. The W220 is the (still) current S-class. Curious how the new one will hit the market, I bet they work massively on their quality issue right now, Moogle!

Regarding the wheels, if they are 3-piece you can exchange the outer part (the damaged one) and keep the inside piece. I would NOT repair the outer rim part since this would definately reduce rigidity and doesn't save you from having some inner damage (capillary cracks e.g.).

There are ways to control the rim's strength - I believe by using x-ray. Anyways, you might be easier of to get some new ones.

Nice car, by the way. Judging by the S-class' wheels you don't want to keep the stock ones, do you?

Quote:
    Porsche930S said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:

It is. The W220 is the (still) current S-class. Curious how the new one will hit the market, I bet they work massively on their quality issue right now, Moogle!

Regarding the wheels, if they are 3-piece you can exchange the outer part (the damaged one) and keep the inside piece. I would NOT repair the outer rim part since this would definately reduce rigidity and doesn't save you from having some inner damage (capillary cracks e.g.).

There are ways to control the rim's strength - I believe by using x-ray. Anyways, you might be easier of to get some new ones.

Nice car, by the way. Judging by the S-class' wheels you don't want to keep the stock ones, do you?

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    Porsche930S said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:

Thanks guys so far for the info. Any wheel suggestions for the SL? I don't know if the wheels on the 600SEL are factory, We got it when I was really young so...those arent the factory ones on the SEL?

What wheels companies should I check out for the 500SL?

Heres a pic of the 600 SEL to show the wheels...

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    Porsche930S said:
    Quote:
    Moogle said:

Thanks guys so far for the info. Any wheel suggestions for the SL? I don't know if the wheels on the 600SEL are factory, We got it when I was really young so...those arent the factory ones on the SEL?

What wheels companies should I check out for the 500SL?

Heres a pic of the 600 SEL to show the wheels...

AMG alone makes a variety of wheels for the SL (which are also used for other models). Just check the web and google around.

Brabus, Lorinser or Carlsson make some decent ones with assumeable quality. Others than that I can't make big suggestions, I suppose you guys can check at TireRack and find some nice ones. It in fact depends what you are looking for, I can only recommend that you don't get extreme wheels sizes, up to 18" on the SL (manufacturer's code R109, since this has several disadvantages!

AMG alone makes a variety of wheels for the SL (which are also used for other models). Just check the web and google around.

Brabus, Lorinser or Carlsson make some decent ones with assumeable quality. Others than that I can't make big suggestions, I suppose you guys can check at TireRack and find some nice ones. It in fact depends what you are looking for, I can only recommend that you don't get extreme wheels sizes, up to 18" on the SL (manufacturer's code R109, since this has several disadvantages!

Here is an example of the 600's standard wheels, they are also delivered with the ones you have on the SL (different size though, I suppose):

Here is an example of the 600's standard wheels, they are also delivered with the ones you have on the SL (different size though, I suppose):

Hey thanks guys. I will look around on the AMG website and such. So are the wheels on our 600 Mercedes wheels or no?

Hey thanks guys. I will look around on the AMG website and such. So are the wheels on our 600 Mercedes wheels or no?

Quote:
    Porsche930S said:
    ...So are the wheels on our 600 Mercedes wheels or no?

No!

Quote:
    Porsche930S said:

No!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    Porsche930S said:

No!

Oh. So any idea what they are? Sorry for all the questions

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    Porsche930S said:

No!

Oh. So any idea what they are? Sorry for all the questions

No clue, they seem to be deriven from the original alloys' design, I am not sure how it works out but maybe there are any signs or indications on the rim itself to figure this out!

No clue, they seem to be deriven from the original alloys' design, I am not sure how it works out but maybe there are any signs or indications on the rim itself to figure this out!

I looked into it and the wheels on the 600 SEL are the original MB alloys that are just chromed.

We were at the MB delaer today and we asked about the wheels. New AMG wheels like the ones on the 500 that are damaged are now priced at $1200...a peice!

I looked into it and the wheels on the 600 SEL are the original MB alloys that are just chromed.

We were at the MB delaer today and we asked about the wheels. New AMG wheels like the ones on the 500 that are damaged are now priced at $1200...a peice!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777566 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441834 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262825 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261034 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85306 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5603 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880718 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816129 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM