Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Litttle rattle here, there and not quite everywhere!!!

About 4,800 miles and my only real bltch so far is rattles. There are about 4 spots; front left speaker, center console, drivers side rear window area and drivers door. Took it in a while ago to have them looked at(sure enough, the worst rattle stopped within about 4 miles of the dealer) and to my surprise the car was back the same day and supposedly fixed. Currently, pretty much every spot is still rattling

My question is this. What is the best way to tackle this problem? Ask to take a technician along the next time to point out the areas? Hopefully this is not going to be a fruitless process.(just thought of an idea; place colored stickers where I think the noises are coming from)

Anybody else have these rattle areas? My car is a very early build BTW.

Re: Litttle rattle here, there and not quite everywhere!!!

For whatever reason my 993 coupe always had rattles that I could never eliminate. The rear window always creaked. The dash would buzz sometimes.

My 996 cab on the other hand has been relatively free of rattles. I remember when I bought my 996 cab there was a test in one of the magazines that showed the 996 cab was quieter inside at highway speeds than the 993 coupe. That of course is with the top up....a condition that my car is seldom in. If it is over 69 degrees the top comes down.

As far as how to get the dealer to find rattles.....I haven't a clue since I have not had a lot of success in this area.

Phil

WHen I first got my car, I had maybe 4 different rattles, but only on coarse chip roads. Now, 4000km, they seem to have disappeared..... (fingers crossed!!)

Park the car, find a song with some consistent bass (make sure you have the bose's bass turned up)....that should help induce the rattling. Then localise where you hear the noise......press your hand on various pieces of trim until the rattling stops....Also turn off the stereo, and tap various pieces of trim in the area where you think there are rattles. If you can isolate it, then you can fix it.

Some areas in the 997 that seem a little 'suspect'....On the door panel, despite the fact that it has rubber feet, the door bin cover seems to pick up rattles pretty easily...The door speaker covers have a little too much play in them, so make sure they are securely in place. The L & R dash vents also have a little movement, so make sure they are nice & secure. Center console (and door bin)...these are containers, make sure what's inside isn't rattling....
    The only one that's a little tricky is if the rattle is inside the dash....suggest a dealership visit for that

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    Park the car, find a song with some consistent bass (make sure you have the bose's bass turned up)....that should help induce the rattling. Then localise where you hear the noise......press your hand on various pieces of trim until the rattling stops....Also turn off the stereo, and tap various pieces of trim in the area where you think there are rattles. If you can isolate it, then you can fix it.

Some areas in the 997 that seem a little 'suspect'....On the door panel, despite the fact that it has rubber feet, the door bin cover seems to pick up rattles pretty easily...The door speaker covers have a little too much play in them, so make sure they are securely in place. The L & R dash vents also have a little movement, so make sure they are nice & secure. Center console (and door bin)...these are containers, make sure what's inside isn't rattling....
    The only one that's a little tricky is if the rattle is inside the dash....suggest a dealership visit for that

Great ideas. Anyone know if you can just pop out the vents and or speaker cover on the dash? The left speaker appears to have a vibration and I'm guessing it's the plastic covering. A little felt would probably do the trick if I can easily get it off.

I could probably handle getting at most of them but not at the expense of screwing something up.

go to the dealer dont try it alone

I've got a "rattle list" that I'm compiling on my car. a tinny rattle behind the speedo that's easy to duplicate just by smacking the top of the dash with your hand, a chassis rattle somewhere outside of the cabin (duh), and a little rattle that seems to eminate out of the passenger side 1/4 trim area, in the rear. That, and my passenger side visor pivot falls out of place in the roof when you flip the visor down. I figure that I'll endure it all until 2,000 miles, so that everything that is going to rattle or fall off will, and then drop her at the dealer with my list. I am NOT excited about the prospect of interior items being removed and reinstalled, as I am about as obsessive/compulsive as they come, and I notice every last little finger-print or slight mark.

I am about as obsessive/compulsive as they come, and I notice every last little finger-print or slight mark.

69bossnine
    I hear ya....I even drive myself crazy, I find it difficult to walk away from the car without a little wipe here or polish there

Let's just say the cup holders don't get much use

Curious to know what's happened with all these rattles and noises.

-SB

I hate rattles as well. On my car, i cut up little bits of rubber to help insilate the spots that rattle and also lessen the vibration of the rattle spots. The spots that rattled on my car were in between to bits of plastic so the rubber could be hidden. Dont know if this helps any, but it worked for my car.

I haven't noticed any rattles on my 997S cab yet. It wouldn't surprise me to get some, but so far so good.

Phil

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Curious to know what's happened with all these rattles and noises.

-SB

Thanks for asking. Brought the car in for a second go at it and many are still there. I understand that they spent considerable time trying to figure them out. It looks as if they sprayed something(maybe a silicone) in between possible problem areas. I used the colored sticker idea to try to pinpoint where they are coming from. One of the worst is what appears to be a creaking in the rear glass area(Any ideas guys?) It's a little maddening as it is the only thing that bugs me about the car. I may just have to try and figure it out myself.

Quote:
    SrfCity said
    One of the worst is what appears to be a creaking in the rear glass area(Any ideas guys?) It's a little maddening as it is the only thing that bugs me about the car. I may just have to try and figure it out myself.

My 993 coupe always had a squeeking noise from the rear window. Never managed to get rid of it. I was told at the time that it was common. I figured they got rid of that particular problem with the 996/997.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    SrfCity said
    One of the worst is what appears to be a creaking in the rear glass area(Any ideas guys?)

Do you mean a stress creak that you only hear when driving slowly, turning into a drive way for instance?

I had brought by Targa in for some rattles and squeaks, and they did lubricate many rubber seals with a silicone apray (they even gave me the bottle to use myself), and it was only AFTER that visit that I also got a stress creak seeming to come from the passsenger rear corner of the car.

Are we supposed to just live with this?

The tech section of the PCA website has plenty of questions about rattles and noises and all that's ever said as advice is to take the car in to the dealership.

Sheesh.

-SB

Actually, my intitial rattles seem to have subsided for the most parts. At least, I don't believe I've got anything that currently justifies allowing a Porsche tech pulling panels apart in my interior to chase it down. As with anything, you've really got to ask yourself if the ends justify the means. You can chase your tail with these things 'til you're dizzy.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said
    Do you mean a stress creak that you only hear when driving slowly, turning into a drive way for instance?

-SB

That was exactly the sound I had with the 993. It was almost something that showed up when the car was flexing. I believe I heard at the time that they could remove the rubber from the window and lubricate it or something. I just never bothered to atttempt that repair.

Phil

Could be the weather warming up is relieving some rattles.

yes that holdes true as metals warm up they tend to develop some form of "lubrication".Just a metaphor also

No, but I get that too when coming up the driveway As your driving it's a noise that originates inside at the back and it sounds like it could be the glass or something vibrating/creeking. I thought it was the rear plate that is bolted with 3 bolts that is on the outside between the glass and the retractable spoiler. I removed those bolts and put some felt between the part and still have it.

Does the noise you have in your right rear sound as if a couple of 2x4's were being dropped on 2 or 3 others, but kind of muffled, over sharp bumps?

Patriot

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777868 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441952 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262899 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261129 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85387 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5662 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880804 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816322 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM