Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Infiniti FX45...any thoughts?

Does somebody already own an Infiniti FX45?

I saw one on my last US trip and I liked how it looked. I also heard that the performance of the 315 HP V8 engine is pretty spectacular.
    I know this is no real fullsize SUV but anyway...

Re: Infiniti FX45...any thoughts?

I checked it out in person couple weeks ago. Looks real nice and very well equipped but the interior was really tight and small however the cargo space was tremendous .

Nice car though if there are two of you only, no kids

Exterior looks great IMO (NT)

Fanch.

the price

is the most attractive point of the car.

I sat in it once, the build quality is really not as good as the European SUV. Its seem a little flimsy IMO. Also, it doesn't have as much room as the X5. But I assume it is a very good seller consider the price and whay you get.

You should try the FX45 with technology package. I liked the rearview video on the navigation screen as well as 'THX' equipped TFT LCD DVD player in the rear.

They are extremely popular here in New York. I see about 20 a day during my commute to/from work. I think they look cool, but only because the design is so fresh.

The purpose of an SUV, in particular, one that cannont offroad still escapes me. A nice looker though.

I had a short test drive of the Cayenne S when it launch March 15th, but traffic prevented any speed or acceleration. Under those conditions, it seemed heavy and slow (but my wife pointed out that I'm used to driving my Lexus SC430 every day). The ride was fine, but again that is because of what I'm used to, but it also seemed fine compared to my Previa minivan. The wife drives a Lexus LS400, so everything seems firm.

Anyway, this last weekend I test drove the FX45 under ideal conditions of clear, dry, new roads. Kept it under 90, but hit some corners hard and it was pretty good, with some expected understeer. The brakes were also very good in feel and stopping power. As it is much lighter than the Cayenne, it had more spunk, but when winding the engine up, the exhaust sound could use some tuning to match the sound quality that Porsche has achieved. The interior looks excellent, but I'm not sure it will take normal daily use without looking worse for wear. The center console seemed like it would scratch up over time and show dust/dirt more than other finishes. The black dashboard showed finger print streaks readily. I didn't think is was any more spacious than the Cayenne, particularly at the back hatch area where it seems to neck down with the FX45. I drove the Technology Package and it was a very well equipted car. To get the same options on the Cayenne is expensive, considering the usual Porsche approach of charging premium prices for options. Which is exacerbated by the fact you can't get the options you would like when you are willing to pay for it, like air suspension in my case. It would have been nice to be able to drive a Cayenne with air suspension, but this wasn't possible as the only unit on the lot with it was a sold TT.

The same day, I also drove the new Lexus RX330 and the GX470. Both nice cars with superior interior fit and finish, but in a lower league in the handling department, but better in the ride, without being floaty. I'd like to think the Cayenne with air suspension would be similar, but needs to be tested to know for sure.

I'm waiting for the Touareg to come out before making a final decision to compare it with the Cayenne, FX45, etc. Also, I'll test drive the Cayenne again before buying to get a better sense of how it accelerates, turns and stops with more aggressive driving. I may have to go to another city to test drive the TT, but that may be what the Doctor ordered to cure boredom with driving a multipurpose vehicle.

A comment about 20" wheels - they look great on both the Cayenne TT and the FX45, but in either case, I'd buy an extra set of 17" wheels with snow tires for winter conditions so I don't have to pay a premium for the larger diameter snow tires (if you can find them) and have clearance for worst case conditions when snow chains are needed.

The Cayenne will qualify for the tax break as its GVW exceeds 6000 pounds and the FX45 doesn't. That helps in the value department to offset the higher Porsche price. The FX45 may have the edge for reliability and dealer service, and value if you don't have a business to get the tax deduction. I'm starting to watch the Boards like this to see owner experieince for both vehicles to find problem areas and to see how much better Porsche dealers are going to support the SUV platform. Based on this same type of info., I have scratched the X5 off my list of contenders. It seems BMW's US plant has made too many lemons to take the chance....too bad because it think it is a very attractive vehicle.

i like this one, really.

the roof at the rear looks like a merc CL, the rear lights remind me of audi's pikes peak show car (or vice versa )

...it seems that the FX is also a danger to the cayenne:

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000142084.cfm

What I like about the FX45 is not only the fresh design but also the price tag.

Quote:
    The purpose of an SUV, in particular, one that cannont offroad still escapes me.

Well, yes! Those are my thoughts exactly! Once you decide to give up on the off-road capability a whole world of design possibilities open up because you now only have to "look" like you might be able to go off-road. So what is the purpose of that?

Quote:
    Quote:
    The purpose of an SUV, in particular, one that cannont offroad still escapes me.

Well, yes! Those are my thoughts exactly! Once you decide to give up on the off-road capability a whole world of design possibilities open up because you now only have to "look" like you might be able to go off-road. So what is the purpose of that?

Maybe it is about more space? We rented a Lincoln Navigator during our US vacation last month and I loved the space and room, especially because we had a lot of luggage and the kid with us.
    I didn't care much about the Navigator's Off-Road capabilities, although I'm pretty sure that they're good.

How many Cayenne Turbo owners will actually take their car off-road? I own my ML 55 AMG for almost two years now and it never saw serious off-roading.
    The only advantage I see on the off-road capabilities of a SUV like the Cayenne or Navigator is during winter time or when living somewhere in the mountains, having to tow a trailer or if you live in the desert.
    I know so many people driving a SUV with off-road capabilities but usually the wife is driving the SUV with the kids and these SUVs never saw off-roading, not even some off-road pavement.

I think the FX45 is a product of a new generation of small SUVs with high power engines but almost non-existant off-road capabilities. And to be serious: if I want to do serious off-roading, I don't use a Cayenne Turbo but a Toyota Landcruiser, Landrover or a Mercedes G-class.

Last week, 3 buddies and myself went out for a night in the town, and we took an SUV. Comfortable and roomy, it made cruising around at a sedate pace quite enjoyable. Seeing the town from a higher viewpoint is also nice. Throughout the night we had to load some large items on and off into the back storage area. Perhaps I am starting to see the appeal?

For actual off-roading adventures, my friend takes me around in his Jeep Wrangler. Hard working little car that is!

Quote:
    And to be serious: if I want to do serious off-roading, I don't use a Cayenne Turbo but a Toyota Landcruiser, Landrover or a Mercedes G-class.

I think the Cayenne S with air suspension is excellent competition off-road for any of these vehicles. Why not take a Porsche off-road? It is in the same price range as the others so there is no more or less of a risk to your investment as you tackle more rugged terrain.

I keep forgeting about winter weather and snow. We almost never see it where I live. Snow is a good reason for an SUV that doesn't involve off-road use. Otherwise why not use a station wagon or a minivan for the extra room. If you don't need the ground clearance why raise your center of gravity unnecessarily?

Quote:
    I think the Cayenne S with air suspension is excellent competition off-road for any of these vehicles. Why not take a Porsche off-road? It is in the same price range as the others so there is no more or less of a risk to your investment as you tackle more rugged terrain.

I keep forgeting about winter weather and snow. We almost never see it where I live. Snow is a good reason for an SUV that doesn't involve off-road use. Otherwise why not use a station wagon or a minivan for the extra room. If you don't need the ground clearance why raise your center of gravity unnecessarily?

Too much electronics? Especially the Landcruiser and the G-class are considered to be bullet proof. Not to forget about their superior off-road capabilities.

Regarding a Minivan or stationwagon: a SUV gives a certain feel of safety because of it's size and especially because of the high seating position. On the other hand, a lot of SUV require an experienced hand to drive them fast. One reason why so many accidents happen: soccer moms usually aren't used to the raised center of gravity, the weight and the difficult steering in curves. If you think a SUV is unsafe because of the raised center of gravity, you're welcomed to take a ride with me in my ML 55. I have friends with "so called" sportscars who have problems following me and I don't talk about straight streets.
    It is all about experience: driving a SUV fast is more difficult but still possible. Ever took a sharp highway exit in a Lincoln Navigator at 75 mph...FULLY loaded? I'm still alive and the Navigator has been returned to Hertz in one piece.

Drive a SUV for a few months and you'll understand. Before I owned the ML 55, I was pretty concerned with SUVs too.
    The ML made me a believer...

I'm driving an X-5 now and had an Explorer Limited previously and a 4-wheel drive pickup before that and I agree with what you say about handling and safety. If everything else is equal a lower center of gravity is more desireable, that is my main point. The weight and solidity characteristic of an SUV are a byproduct of off-road ruggedness for this class of vehicle, even if some in the class can't go off-road.

OT ... Quote from my Mom: "If they didn't intend for you to use all the numbers on the speedometer they wouldn't have put them there."

Your mother is full of common sense, wise woman
    Fanch.

Quote:
    Quote from my Mom: "If they didn't intend for you to use all the numbers on the speedometer they wouldn't have put them there."

Your mother should work for the car industry as a PR consultant. Love it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776931 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441608 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262729 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260879 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85144 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5531 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880590 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815766 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM