Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Boxster coupé officially named "CAYMAN"

please check this post for details
    http://www.rennteam.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=72587&an=&page=&vc=1

btw, cayman island's mascot is "sir turtle"... a turtle pirate with a peg leg... so i suppose the porsche logo on the cayman will look something like this...

Re: Boxster coupé officially named "CAYMAN"

Pretty ridiculous name IMO.
    Why so close to "Cayenne", and why a Porsche that sounds like a mixture of a Piña Colada and a place to hide from taxes..?

Now let me see, I heard Cupster, Beatster, C7S (I like this one... ) and now Cayman. I think Porsche's marketing department has a lot of fun lately and journalists are as dumb as ever.
    Of course Cayman could be IT but I hope not. It doesn't suit this car but what do I know. Cayman reminds me too much of Karmann, it reminds me of a word which sounds great in English but probably not so great in other languages. And it reminds me of a reptile with a long mouth and sharp teeth and this isn't really how a Porsche should be defined.
    What the hell is wrong with Boxster Coupe? Or how about Boxster Sport Coupe? Or how about ONLY Sport Coupe?

Oh boy, as much as I hate Nick's comments about Porsche but if Porsche continues this way, I see myself in a Ferrari in five years.

Quote:
    Oh boy, as much as I hate Nick's comments about Porsche but if Porsche continues this way, I see myself in a Ferrari in five years.

There's always the no-cost 'delete model designation' option.....

Cayman sounds like a Kia model; Kia Cayman. For sure it doesn't fit Porsche.

I bet Dr. Ferdinand Porsche will turn in his grave if this name becomes a reality .

What's next for the 4-door sedan? Coconut, Caboose anyone?

Cayman sounds like caca to me.....

I suppose they couldn't call it boxster coupe as will then have had to justify the higher price compared to its roadster sibling. Sport coupe sounds too much like the mercedes c-class. As to cayman in english, it sounds rather close to gay man. Still at least the name debate will keep us going till its finally launched :-)

Cayman?!?!?

Cayman.....Cayman Islands, hideout for the wealthy and for the non-taxpaying, fake corporation......I'd prefer to refer to this car by its internal Porsche project number designation, whatever it is. Terrible name.

Two names that have receintly been filed for trademark (R) were:
    CAYMAN
    PANAMERA

Boxster Sport Coupé would be just fine, but shortened to Boxster SC. Porsche has tradition in the SC name (the 911 Super Carrera). Here as Sport Coupe would be simple, effective, very much Porschiche.

Quote:
    ezzie said:
    As to cayman in english, it sounds rather close to gay man .

Erm...to all of you who believe "Boxster Coupé" would be a nice name:
    Boxster is a constructed word made out of "Boxer" (as in "Boxer engine") and "Roadster" (as in "open/convertible 2-seater").
    Therefore the term "Boxster Coupé" would make very little sense, as it would mean "Boxer engined 2 seated open car with fixed roof"....

Like I usually say to my clients: "That's just a load of crap on a turnip truck!"

Quote:
    ezzie said:
    As to cayman in english, it sounds rather close to gay man.

I'm not sure Porsche's marketing department EVER thought of that, you're right, now that you say it. It may not be important to some people, it may not be a problem with gays but it definetely could be a serious problem with customers if people start to call the Cayman "gay man". This could seriously hurt sales figures, Porsche has to be aware of that. I don't remember exactly but I think it was Mitsubishi who named the Pajero differently in a certain country (Spain?) because the name meant something bad in their language (Spanish?). Gosh, I wish I could remember...

Yup, and I was told the story that there was a car (dont know which brand) that had the abbreviation "ST" behind it, which sold very bad in the UK, because there "ST" means "Sanitary Towel"...
    -Joost-

Maybe this will help, RC.
    Chevrolet once named a car NOVA, which mean "doens't go" or "doesn't work" in spanish. LOL! Bad choice.
    Electrolux once introduced their first overseas vacuumcleaner with an add saying: Try the new electrolux. It really sucks!"

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    ezzie said:

I'm not sure Porsche's marketing department EVER thought of that, you're right, now that you say it. It may not be important to some people, it may not be a problem with gays but it definetely could be a serious problem with customers if people start to call the Cayman "gay man". This could seriously hurt sales figures, Porsche has to be aware of that. I don't remember exactly but I think it was Mitsubishi who named the Pajero differently in a certain country (Spain?) because the name meant something bad in their language (Spanish?). Gosh, I wish I could remember...

Was it Mitsubishi "Pouta" or "Puta"?

I think they went the right way with "Cayenne".
    Picking the spice connection is great.

I believe they wanna stick with the "ca..."-something start of the word, like Cayenne and Carrera.

Here's the official Porsche shortlist of names.
    Dont ask where I got it..I really had to pull some strings and cash in some chips to get this.

* Ca-chiiiiing!
    * Cawabunga
    * Calorienne
    * Castrato
    * Camelion
    * Caboom
    * Caca-ling (russian market)
    * Cabana
    * Castro
    * Calabassas
    * Campero
    * Cammerado
    * Canyougetthefeckouttamywayyoumotherfecker (dropped because it didn't fit the greek market)
    * Caballero
    * Cavallo
    * Castor
    * Camparino
    * Cayollalala
    * Canadayenne
    * Caypé

Schhh...don't tell Canyone!

Kind of like a Citroen in america. Who wants a lemon?

Dr. Phil...from your list above...I like Campero.

Campero?? What is it, a new campsite car from Porsche?

How about "Canyakeepup"?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    ezzie said:

Yes, I also don't like the name of "Cayman"for the new little beast ( the boxster coupé ). Probably those customers that don't like porsche (ferrarist etc), they'll name it "gay man car.. ...and ME personally don't like this a.k.a for a porsche and even less if I drive one in the future!!!..

What RC meant by saying the Mitsubishi "Pajero". He's totally correct!. When this car was launched in Spain, me and my friends just laughed, its absolutely incredible how Mitsubishi could name that 4x4 "Pajero", which in spanish this word means "wanker"...straight and direct ..incredible!!!

I think it was Pouta but i'm not sure.Pouta or Puta means the same thing in Portuguese and Spanish.

For me i would call it Porsche Rangel or something along the lines of that

Woshhhhhhh

Alex18, I just saw on your personal bio, that you prioritize your girlfriend BEFORE Porsche cars.
    Guys...do we want people like this on our site?

Something that ends on -ster would be good ... sportster, buggster, cupster, monster, coupster, ninester, midster, flatster...I don't know, SOMETHING but NOT CAYMAN! I hear them saying already, GAY MAN PORSCHE GAY MAN HHAHAHA...please no...I had such good expectations of that car since I read the last article of autocar

Makes perfect sense. The margin on this car as so high they will send the profit straight to the Cayman's - what a laugh they must have.

I think the Porsche maketing department is on fire right now.
    They are having a big mistake on their hands
    PANAMERA is my favorit name

Maybe it's made for the Jamaican market?
    "Yo Gobbo! Ditcha see da new whitemarns Porscha? Dey cawl it da Heymarn. They just pulled it to de Island yesterday, marn. Me thinking bout selling da hutt and getting me one..."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803831 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448696 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266294 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90150 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6720 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886012 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834033 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM