Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2020] Formula 1

schmoell:

Amazing safety tech at work and a lot of luck, I'd say. 

Pretty neat for someone to do the simulation there.

But he forgot to mention that a good chunk of energy was taken away by the breakaway of the chassis on the engine side. So the full energy content of the moving car wasn't apply to the front driver compartment. It takes energy to break the bolts, and the engine compartment keep on moving after the breakaway, that alone reduced the full impact force by at least half. Every piece of the car that broke and and fly away takes energy away from Grojean. It all adds up. 

--

How can he test negative so quickly? 

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gauss:

I think I remember someone mentioning he needed to return four negative test before being cleared. Or am I imagining that? 

Gauss:

He is a young fit healthy individual. Quite possibly his immune system is stronger as a result and can extinguish the virus quicker. 

It's like someone could go years without getting the flu, while others suffer every year.

Or someone getting the HIV virus but stay healthy for decades, while others developed synths and complications right away.

People don't get sick right away after getting the virus, it's a pretty mild thing for some people and they can recover very quickly. See Lance Stroll for example, he was the other driver that got it. 

--

Oh! ..so I guess that there will be no "mistakes" in the Mercedes box this weekend.

If you are suggesting that it was on purpose I think you are wrong. Doesn’t make sense as GR is the actual winner of the race in the minds of all I think. This also creates even bigger Sympathie for him. 

Each one is free to believe what he/she believes....for the time being.

BTW - It makes perfect sense: They were protecting their substantial investment in their World Champion driver. The narrative that he is so much faster/better than all the others is very important to protect. It is worth a lot of money

I think that Lewis is much faster than Bottas (GR was faster but not by a big margain... at least in the beginning f the race), if we look at recent races, he would also have been faster than Russel IMO that weekend, but again that is how it should be... Who know its all up for speculations... everything is ossible but I dont belive that they would care that much... GR is a fututre Merecedes driver at the end of the day it was a mistake to renew Bottas contract, they should have had signed GR.

IMG_8044.JPG

I  don't have much respect for Günter Steiner at the moment.

He had a verbal agreement with Jean-Louis Deletraz ( a young Swiss talented and promising F2 driver who had 4 podiums this year ) . This year Deletraz agreed to be also a test pilot for Haas F1 with no salary  but with the promise to be given a chance to drive the F1 when possible.  

When the window opened , Günter chose a paying spoiled brad that has no results .Go figure yes

I hope the decision bites him in the ass . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Shaich:

I think that Lewis is much faster than Bottas (GR was faster but not by a big margain... at least in the beginning f the race), if we look at recent races, he would also have been faster than Russel IMO that weekend, but again that is how it should be... Who know its all up for speculations... everything is ossible but I dont belive that they would care that much... GR is a fututre Merecedes driver at the end of the day it was a mistake to renew Bottas contract, they should have had signed GR.

Lewis is much faster than Bottas, and that's why Bottas is still there. GR was also faster. He may not have been faster by a big margin, but GR was in a new car that was not designed or built around him. In time, he would dominate Bottas just as Hamilton does.

Hamilton is fast. He now has tons of experience. He has the power of Mercedes behind him and has a dominant car that is built to suit him. A winning combination. However, to think that other drivers cannot be as quick as he is given the same conditions is naive in my opinion. My apologies, but after a life time of being an ardent racing fan I'm a little cynical.

Gnil:

I  don't have much respect for Günter Steiner at the moment.

He had a verbal agreement with Jean-Louis Deletraz ( a young Swiss talented and promising F2 driver who had 4 podiums this year ) . This year Deletraz agreed to be also a test pilot for Haas F1 with no salary  but with the promise to be given a chance to drive the F1 when possible.  

When the window opened , Günter chose a paying spoiled brad that has no results .Go figure yes

I hope the decision bites him in the ass . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

well F1 is long time not about respect anymore - but Daddies paying a huge chunk of the team costs. We've also seen no matter how fast yr friend is it's pretty pointless in the wrong car. Seeing F1 Pay-drivers kneeling down against racism in a country like Bahrain is cynical beyond belief - I actually had to laugh out loud......(btw : Gunter is a very very funny man with his heart on the tongue )

Spyderidol:
    Shaich:

Lewis is much faster than Bottas, and that's why Bottas is still there. GR was also faster. He may not have been faster by a big margin, but GR was in a new car that was not designed or built around him. In time, he would dominate Bottas just as Hamilton does.

Hamilton is fast. He now has tons of experience. He has the power of Mercedes behind him and has a dominant car that is built to suit him. A winning combination. However, to think that other drivers cannot be as quick as he is given the same conditions is naive in my opinion. My apologies, but after a life time of being an ardent racing fan I'm a little cynical.

Lewis' advantage is that besides natural talent, he has years of experiences on race craft and such, something Russell is still in the process of learning. Same can be said of every young guns right now on the grid, Leclerc, Max, etc. Someone else may be faster on a one lap pace, see the occasional Bottas pole, but on long runs it's hard to match up with Lewis. 

Russell and Bottas both still have one year left on their respective contracts, unless something drastic happens, Russell will be in the Mercedes 2022 while Bottas will be looking for a seat somewhere else. Will Lewis still be around in 2022 to partner up with Russell? That all depends on how long a contract he signs. 

Not quite sure if Mercedes had released Ocon fully, if they didn't, it would be quite possible that Mercedes will pair up Ocon with Russell once Lewis retires. 

--

kiss

A reminder that current F1 cars and their engines are a joke...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Naturally aspirated is just so much more engaging...

1B8A20DA-8C7E-4AE3-8628-A94CD6B470C2.jpeg

Carlos from Spain:

A reminder that current F1 cars and their engines are a joke...

--

I don’t really agree on that, sure the V8 era was better IMO too, but the current cars are great... it’s quite an achievement to get that much of a performance out of that engines. F1 is at the end of the day the experimental field of the car companies... I was very skeptical myself when they announced those rules back in that time... but those cars are crazy fast in every possible way!

No, F1 was the pinnacle of motorsport racing, and amazing sport engines is part of that, engines that were like the ones you see in supercars but a whole level higher, screaming down the straight. Making a hatchback's sized 1.6L 6-pot engine fast is just a PR stunt for the green movent. If they were using diesel engines would that also be great if they were able to extract a lot of performance out of those too? These mini turbo engines are fast sure, but so is an electric engine. Those glorious V10's and V8's were the real deal, these even sound like a joke.

--

Carlos from Spain:

No, F1 was the pinnacle of motorsport racing, and amazing sport engines is part of that, engines that were like the ones you see in supercars but a whole level higher, screaming down the straight. Making a hatchback's sized 1.6L 6-pot engine fast is just a PR stunt for the green movent. If they were using diesel engines would that also be great if they were able to extract a lot of performance out of those too? These mini turbo engines are fast sure, but so is an electric engine. Those glorious V10's and V8's were the real deal, these even sound like a joke.

--

I agree with you on that form a passionate point of view... yes I miss the sound and I get all what you say. But at the end of the day we live in a society where all must be "politically correct" like it or not and those car manufacturers are investing so many millions in this sport that they need to extract what they can out of it. And now they do, the future is like it or not electric/hybrid, you can see even companies like Porsche and Ferrari asready going this way, so this is the reality, and at the end of the day I want to see racing with the fastest cars on the planet weather it is electric gasoline diesel or whatever... YES I MISS THE NOISE ... I ALSO MISS SENNA... but it will never be back again, just enjoy Smiley

I get the reason for it, bit still doesn't change the fact though. At the end of the day this is entertainment, and to me this is detrimental to it, and F1 is less and less exciting as time goes by, the engine change is one of the most obvious recent signs. F1 should be independent from that PR pressures, just my opinion though. I don't enjoy F1 anymore, it's a caricature of a competition, drivers are out of the equation, there is no passing, engines are 1.6L turbos, tracks are selected based on money from hosting country not how exciting a track is, etc. I've never missed an UFC event since the first one 27 years ago, if they start fighting with pink pillowcases in their hands, I'm out indecision

--

Domenicali has stated “F1 is entertainment” more or less, so maybe he will implement changes that are more to your liking Carlos.

Carlos from Spain:

I get the reason for it, bit still doesn't change the fact though. At the end of the day this is entertainment, and to me this is detrimental to it, and F1 is less and less exciting as time goes by, the engine change is one of the most obvious recent signs. F1 should be independent from that PR pressures, just my opinion though. I don't enjoy F1 anymore, it's a caricature of a competition, drivers are out of the equation, there is no passing, engines are 1.6L turbos, tracks are selected based on money from hosting country not how exciting a track is, etc. I've never missed an UFC event since the first one 27 years ago, if they start fighting with pink pillowcases in their hands, I'm out indecision

F1 is not boring because of the engines, they are fine and very powerful... the obly reson that F1 is boring at the moment is that Mercedes is so dominant in the recent years, and the driver paitring is not on PAR with eachother. But this is not F1 fault, things like that happne in sport, same as Klitchko dominitaed heavywheight boxing, what can you do if someone is just so much better than the rest... and its not about the money. Ferrai and Red Bull have more or less the same budget but cant compete at the moment. Mercedes in combination with Lewis is just to strong. 

Max could help if he would joing Mercedes... or we have to wait for 2022 when all the regualtion will be changed again.

UFC TBH not my cup of tea, they spend most of the time on the floor hugging eachother, but its a matter of taste. 

mcdelaug:

Domenicali has stated “F1 is entertainment” more or less, so maybe he will implement changes that are more to your liking Carlos.

kiss Getting rid of 50% of the aerodinamics in F1 cars would be a start, so cars can actually overtake each other, handling is more equalised, and driving talent is a bigger factor then. Just look at a MotoGP race compared to an F1 race, this year we even go to see a Suzuki win the championship!

--

Shaich:

UFC TBH not my cup of tea, they spend most of the time on the floor hugging eachother, but its a matter of taste. 

He he it may look that way superficially but there is a lot going on on the ground or against the cage, it's like chess players may look like they are just pushing the pieces here and there buy there is a lot more behind it. I loved watching Damian Maia working on the ground expertly step by step into an eventual submission of his opponent as much as a flashy Chuck Liddell knock out. And at least all fighters have the same opportunities band its an even playing field, F1 now is like having every fighter fight with a hand tied their back exept one, which gets all the glory indecision

--

Once, corona is over Abu Dhabi F1 will see me again...each to his own...wink

Very strong pace by Red Bull and Max... a bit surprising. 

Congratulations to Max well deserved win, now lets hope that they will start the new season as they finished the last...

I hope nobody thinks that Mercedes did this on purpouse... broken heart becasue Lewis couldn't win 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804101 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448750 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266370 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90171 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6763 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886099 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834563 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM