Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sports Chrono

I ordered my 997s without sports chrono because I hate the clock. However I am statrting to think maybe it is a 'must have' option.

Opinions?
    I have added a poll on this.

Re: Sports Chrono

People get SC because it's almost like getting two different cars in one. Therefore it is a "must have."
    A significant number of guys also hate the stopwatch. They get it anyway. I'm gonna order it and see if I can live with the stopwatch. If it bothers me too much I'll pop it off and get a nice leather plate made to cover the hole.

Re performance to my knowledge it does not actually change the performance figures of the car so, is it seems to be a case of it "feels" quicker due to the shorter travel on the accelerator. You still get a sports button to drop 10mm so forgeting the effects to the PASM as the car reaches fantastic grip anyway and to date I have not been able to get PASM on..so what on a normal road is the benefit of it cutting in later ?

Quote:
    stone said:
    Re performance to my knowledge it does not actually change the performance figures of the car so, is it seems to be a case of it "feels" quicker due to the shorter travel on the accelerator. You still get a sports button to drop 10mm so forgeting the effects to the PASM as the car reaches fantastic grip anyway and to date I have not been able to get PASM on..so what on a normal road is the benefit of it cutting in later ?

I think there still is some confusion about what PASM and what Chrono Sport does. The PASM sport button does not lower the car by 10 mm at the push of a button. PASM equipped cars are generally 10 mm lower in ride height but the PASM does not change ride height!
    It is not the same system used on the Cayenne, even if the name is the same.
    And the Chrono Sport package does not only contain that ugly stop watch and doesn't only change throttle response.
    The most interesting feature is actually the changed PSM mapping, making the car more agile at the limit.
    Some people might not need that, they probably can't even make the PSM light go on but a lot of Porsche drivers actually want to have fun with their toys. And a less intrusive PSM mapping raises the fun factor substantially.
    With a Tiptronic, Chrono Sport is even more important because it makes the automatic shift more aggressive, faster and sportier. And of course it changes the PSM mapping too incl. the throttle response, something which comes in very handy with an automatic tranny.

You guys concentrate way too much on that stupid looking stop watch on the dash. The stop watch is the most insignificant part of the Chrono Sport, Porsche has chosen the name of this package not well enough.

RC. Thanks for clearing that up, but on a manual, forgeting for a moment the PSM and when it might cut in ( even when having fun ) , - do cars with Sport Chrono go any faster ?

Before I ordered the S, I drove both with and without. After driving with the sport button "on", shutting it off felt like the car lost 50hp.I'm not sure if it actually makes the car go faster, but it definitely quickens the throttle response!

Quote:
    stone said:
    RC. Thanks for clearing that up, but on a manual, forgeting for a moment the PSM and when it might cut in ( even when having fun ) , - do cars with Sport Chrono go any faster ?

Nope. With "sport" button on, what it does do is it feels more responsive at the throttle (pedal does not have to travel as far to get similar engine response when compared to "sport" button off).

I think RC has done a great job of explaining the technical merits of Sport Chrono.

On a side point, the stand alone stop watch makes perfect sense. It is a sports car!

Maybe to some people there is something about it that seems overly sporty that confronts their less than sporty inner desires. Seeing so many posts with whining about a stop watch on the dash top of a Porsche is pathetic.

If a easy to see and use stopwatch in a Porsche bothers people, maybe they should consider buying a BMW or Benz coupe instead and then demand a quieter radio!

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:it feels more responsive at the throttle (pedal does not have to travel as far to get similar engine response when compared to "sport" button off).

I found it more than that, its not like it makes the throttle more sensitive by increasing amount of response per amount throttle input like the variable ratio steering increses the sensitivety of the steering at end of lock (i.e. at end of lock, the same degree of turn of the wheel than in the center induces a greater change of direction of the front wheels), even if you "floor it" in normal mode you won't get the inmediateness in throttle response.

What I found is that the maximum responsiveness or quickness the throttle is allowed to react at in normal mode has been raised for the sport mode, not the degree of throttle input per degree of pedal travel. So its noticeable mainly when you pick up the throttle suddently, but pressing the pedal half way will still induce the same acceleration in normal than in sport mode (the pedal travel doesn't get shorter) just that the initial response of when the engine starts to respond to your throttle input is quicker and less progressive. And the car becomes more awaken more eager to accelerate. But overall acceleration is unchanged, except initially in the first fractions of opening the throttle, but that does not amount to anything in the whole lenth of time of acceleration that is measured, like 60-100 for example.

Its more of a change in quality of throttle input with the sport chrono than a change of the quantity of the throttle input. If I had to use a comparison to make it easier to understand I would say that it feels like the car has gotten lighter all of a sudden, and the reactions of the car to the throttle are quicker due to the lower inertia, but the travel of the pedal is the same.

You see kind of the same reaction to the throttle between hyper-sport bikes and touring bikes, the sport bike's throttle are more jerky and alive and the touring more confortable and smooth even if they may both have still the same acceleration figures and performance.

Thats just the impression I got from it. I hope I explained my self clearly to those that have not tried it yet and want to know what it does to the throttle exactly, but its hard to put into words, specially in english.

thanks Carlos for trying to expand on how the Chrono actually makes the car feels v's the actual technical, good reply

Does anyone know if the any of the capabilities of Chrono can be retrofitted? Without the stop watch of course.
    It would appear to be primarily a coding issue.
    Even if one could not have the SPORT button some of the other options accessible via the PCM would be useful.

excellent topic well put explanations... too bad the name doesn't give it as much sense...

Quote:
    KenH said:
    Does anyone know if the any of the capabilities of Chrono can be retrofitted? Without the stop watch of course.
    It would appear to be primarily a coding issue.
    Even if one could not have the SPORT button some of the other options accessible via the PCM would be useful.

I heard, on a most reliable board, that Porsche will never allow any provisions to retrofit this option.

Not sure exactly why, but characteristically, they just don't do such things.

Try a search.

I did not order the Sport Chrono for my base 997, but having the user's manual under my eyes and reading all the different possibilities offered by this option, I sincerely regret my choice. Indeed, apart from the technical aspects explained by RC, you can set up many different parameters through the PCM like lights, automatic doors locking, etc. which may be quite useful. For its price, it is certainly a must have option.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803258 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448585 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266144 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90081 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6610 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885741 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833325 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM