Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997s vs. maserati grand sport

i was hesitant to bring this up with porsche enthusiasts, but here it goes. i am now debating between a 997s (have a march build) and the maserati grand sport. i'm sure most of you would prefer the 997, but i was wondering if anyone on this board knows much about the grand sport, has any comments about it, and any comparisons to the 997s.

to me, the grand sport interests me because i thought it was a blast to drive (little more than the 997s in my opinion). i would be getting an automatic, and the F1 transmission (which is actually a manually but shifts by paddle) is more fun and quicker than the tip. the back seats are also a little bigger for my kids. the car has a spare. the exhaust note sounds absolutely incredible. both cars are beautiful, but the idea of something a little different interests me.

i love the 997s and don't have anything negative to say about it. but looking for insight from those that are familiar with or have an opinion on the grand sport vis a vis the 997. thanks guys.

Re: 997s vs. maserati grand sport

i remmeber reading somethign awhile back

maseratis are for people who failed the IQ test required to buy a porsche

seriously though, look at the depreciation figures on the masers.

New Maserati GT's have gotten good marks from their owners. They are definitely quick and fast. You arent gonna get 997 handling, but you do get a lot more room inside and that rebadged Ferrari V8 up the front.

Included is free service for 4 years, thats a pretty good deal for an Italian exotic car.

I like the Maserati but don't want to take the depreciation hit. 996's have dropped like a rock in value; who knows what the 997 will do. I'd check the figures and if they are close, go for it!

Good luck.
    Roy

I have wanted to fall in love with the Maserati..After driving several, Im still no fan of F-1,SMG,DSG or whatever they want to call it.My biggest issue is reliability and the dealers ability to get parts when needed..As for dollars, its possible to buy these cars right..I hear that the out the door price is much lower than MSRP..Both the 997 and Maserati will have poor resale value, But the Maserati will take you a few extra months to sell..

Surprised you guys in the US keep going on about the 997 having a poor resale value. In the UK, these cars depreciate just about slower than anything else.

If I already have a 997, F430 and Gallardo, I don't mind to have a Grand Sport. The point is Maserati never is my 1st or 2nd choice for a sport car.

Quote:
    Chris Lo said:
    If I already have a 997, F430 and Gallardo, I don't mind to have a Grand Sport. The point is Maserati never is my 1st or 2nd choice for a sport car.

Well isnt that special !

This guy obviously is getting a car for himself and his two kids and would like a little more room for them than a 997 has. Im sure if he could afford your stable of metal he would.

So u guys go snobmatic on him. How crass. Makes eating the rich a no brainer.

I saw the grandsport from my Ferrari dealer,I dislike it ,the only good think is the sound ,like a F1 engine ...end the Cambiocorsa ..better than tipronic.
    but the exterior is ugly ...imho ....
    ciaoo!

A friend of mine bought a '04 coupe about 6 months ago, never had any issues with the car as far as reliability is concerned; he uses it as a daily drive and loves it.

But of course 997 is something else it would be my choice.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Well isnt that special !

This guy obviously is getting a car for himself and his two kids and would like a little more room for them than a 997 has. Im sure if he could afford your stable of metal he would.

Well said.

Although I don't think the poor have a monopoly on manners.

Years ago I had the same problem, buy a Maserati GT or a Porsche. I test drove three times a Maserati and decided to buy a Porsche. The Maserati looks beautifull and has lot of more room then a Porsche. But the quality is not so good. Second, here in Germany there are not so many dealers.

I had a chance to drive in Hockenheimring circuit after one Maserati 4200 GT F1 with my Porsche. The car isn't nearly sporty as my Porsche was. So if you would like to have a sports car go for Porsche if you would like to have a GT for hihgway driving you can also take a Maserati or even better a BMW 645 Ci.

Be aware of the high depriciation of the Maserati.

Greetings

AM

mumbasic, thx. i think the maser is more sporty now than what you were looking at. they've just come out with the grandsport which has some aesthetic and performance changes which makes it much more "sportier" than the original coupe/gt.

keep the comments coming. thanks guys.

I really like the GrandSport, especially in black is very classy and sporty at the same time. If I had to chose today for an everyday car between a GrandSport and a 997 I would go for the Maserati. Of course this is considering that there is a sportcar for sport driving in the garage

From what I have seen the GrandSport is a BLING BLING; the exterior is nice but the interior with those shiny material was little too tacky.

If you don't mind waiting, keep an eye open for the M6 also (507HP N/A V10 engine, better 7-speed sequential tranny, similar dinamics, roomy, etc). The Aston V8 would be a good choice too but no rear seats I believe.
    Also to consider, isn't the Maser Coupe up for a model change?

I did test drive it so I said that's not the 1st or 2nd choice. Although it has good power but the brake and handling is not that good, it has lot of body roll. To be a sport car is not only about the power but handling too. No doubt I would say it has good acceleration and good exhaust sound.
    If concerning a 2+2 sport car and also have lot of fun, I will concern a Carrera S. However, everybody has their own preference. It doesn't mean who is right or wrong. And please don't misunderstood me, I am not trying offence anyone.

If you don't like the cloth sailing inspired inside the Gransport, you can opt for full leather so that's good.
    Having said that, that's true, the quality is not as good as the Porsche, at least 997 for sure.
    Neither are the dynamic performances, the GS still pitches a lot when you break hard.
    Then there's the issue with the gearbox, I tried the Cambiocorsa and liked it but I would still get a manual, but you seem to prefer a two pedals car no matter what, in which case, the Cambiocorsa is probably better than Porsche's tiptronic although I've never tried it to be honest.
    So quality goes to Porsche.
    Dynamic goes to Porsche.
    I wont' mention beauty because that's too subjective, as is noise.
    One can't say that the Maserati sounds better, it sounds more bassy for sure, very difficult to compare a flat 6 to a V8 in terms of music. One could say that the V8 has more presence, but the Flat 6 barks at high revs, and it will be even better with the sport exhaust.
    To conclude, I think that the Porsche offers the better package, there are compromises such as less head room for your kids, but it's up to you.
    Also, the Maser is more expensive and will lose value quicker as the model is reaching its end of life.
    But it's also more exclusive.
    It's a difficult choice, have you tried both?
    Good luck!

i drove a 2004 Maser GT after a Ferrari dealer INSISTED i try it out.

to be honest, it was more of a GT than a pure sports car, but then again, many cars are blurring the line

in terms of sportiness, i would put it somewhere between a CL55AMG and a 997S

I'd choose the Maserati Grandsport...while it might not be as sporty as the 997 its darn close, and your kids will definately appreciate the additional space. The Grandsport is a beautiful car and sounds amazing . I think you'll also have the pleasure of having a one-of-a-kind on ur street. I guarantee you'll see more 997's around then Grandsports!

So go for the Maserati

I own an '04 Maserati coupe cambiocorse. It's a beautiful car with an an engine sound to die for. I would rate the fit and finish as better than my, now sold, '03 turbo. That came with mis-matched seats. Ruffled seat back with the bottom cushin on the passenger seat in the standard leather!
    The Porsche is perfect in all respects compared to the flawed Maserati. Don't get me wrong, I love driving the Maserati, but all the pitching and rolling does nothing to enhance the driving experience. I understand that the Gransport is a major improvment over the regular coupe and I might be tempted to make the switch. The Maserati has been very reliable and just sitting in it makes one feel special. The buttery soft leather smells and feels wonderful. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the Porsche because it's brillient. But there's something about the Maserati that makes one, sort of, overlook it's faults.

My advice is drive the Maserati first, the Porsche second. That would illistrate how much diffrent these cars are.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Well isnt that special !

Here Here! Nobody likes a show off Chris Lo. (BTW it's L-A-M-B-O-R-G-H-I-N-I, check your rather extensive list).

Hey guys,

Im surprised nobody has mentioned the article in this months evo. It has a huge write up on the car of the year and of course the 997S has won again. The Maserati Gransport is in there also and it ranks 10th out of 13 cars. The porsche boxster was ranked higher. They even said the Gransport has too many flaws. If you ask me it looks like an older honda prelude from the back. I would have to say that the 997S is the far superior car.

Ciao

ok, so i drove both cars (maser gransport and 997s) back to back yesterday. very tough comparison. both were excellent. the gransport felt and sounded more powerful. i felt like there was more torque at almost all rev bands. this made driving the gransport more fun for me. what also helped was that i need an auto (for the wife occasionally), and the F1 paddles are faster and much more fun than the porsche tip. in terms of pure handling, i'd have to give the 997s a slightly better score.

porsche997, i did see the evo article. they mention the gransport has flaws, but doesn't say what they are. any clue?

03-turbo911 - i noticed you have an 05 turbo coming. why that rather than a 997s. would you agree with my comment above that the gransport feels more powerful than the normally aspirated porsche?

so, net/net, i'm leaning towards the maser, but still have some time to decide, so pls keep the (somewhat unbiased) comments coming. they are helpful. thanks.

Hey guys,

I would have to say that the maserati seems to have alot more body roll, I just cannot see the maserati having any chance competing with the 997S in terms of handling. It just looks and feels so sluggish. I can also guarantee the maserati in no way will brake the same as the 997S with or without the PCCB. I took one out for a boot and it felt so heavy compared to the 997S. Personally I think the 997S is the quicker car. I couldnt care less about the F1 paddles, would rather have the 6M. In the end personally its about the driving experience and thrill, the maserati doesnt even come close.

Ciao

997s for all my life!!!

Trice, as much as I loved the 997 S, I'm just addicted to the power of the turbo.I admit that i still love the way the 996 turbo looks. I drove the 997 S on the street where it impressed me, but, it was on the track, that I really felt that it was a huge leap from the 996 N/A.

The Maserati is more powerful than the normal carrera. That's as far as power goes, now how that power gets translated into the dynamincs, is where the Porsche shines. I feel far more comfortable pushing the Porsche close to it's limits than I do with the Maserati. The Porsche is so predictable, so solid, and so communicative, that you feel it talking back to you on how you can improve your lap times. But that's all unfair to the Maserati, it's a beautiful machine in its own right. It makes all the right sounds and looks special. I get far more comments on the Maserati,which I've owned for seven months, than I ever got on any Porsche that I've owned. I've yet to drive a Gransport but, from what i read, people have been saying that it's what the coupe should have been.

Choosing between both is hard and that's coming from a diehard Porsche fan. Good luck with what every you decide on, you won't go wrong either way.:)

The Maserati is Above and Beyond! Ferrari is doing an amazing job and it will shows even more when the new coupe arrive. I had a chance to drive the spider. I luved it right away.

I think you should try to test drive the Grand Sport. I'm sure you will luv it. I would go for either yellow or this new pearlish white color. I saw both in real life and they looked nice on the G.S..

Good Luck

My favorite color on the Maserati Gransport seems to be black with the black/silver combo, and the dark wheels. I, honestly, can't seem to find a color that doesn't suit the Gransport.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803139 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448539 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266085 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90034 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6558 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885651 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833177 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM