Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Can a Ferrari do this?

Incredible traction, very good side grip and a lot of pretty shocked faces around me. I enjoyed my day today. Of course on winter tires...

This is how my rims looked alike after some snow fun on a parking lot near my house. I was with my little 4-year old daughter in the car and she almost laughed her heart out, pure fun. Unfortunately some neighbors didn't like what we did and called the police. Result: we had to stop and one cop (a woman) asked me if I'm completely out of my mind to do that with a little child next to me. Again: a parking lot, just some 360* turns, some drifting and everything without any other car nearby. No ticket, happy me but the words of that female cop still are in my ears.

BTW: no chance to do even a bit of drifting without turning PSM off. Even with chrono sport, 360* turns weren't possible.

Re: Can a Ferrari do that?

Nice! No salt on snow roads in Bavaria? Do you detail the inside of the rims? Too much work, if you ask me.

Re: Can a Ferrari do this?

Ferraris, where are you? I bet driving in sunshine only.

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all around. Oh what fun it is to ride in a Porsche 911...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all around. Oh what fun it is to ride in a Porsche 911...

Great pic!

How are the cermaic brakes at that temp?

Quote:
    RC said:Unfortunately some neighbors didn't like what we did and called the police.

You are joking? a neighboor called the police from doing 360* on a snowed empty parking lot?? were is the harm or the danger in that? what kind of anal rententive haven't-got-a-life neighboor would do that?

Its a good thing that neigbboor wasn't around when I used to play at drifting and oversteering in snowed empty cementary roads when I was 12-14 years old with my mom's car ... wonder what the female policeman would of said then!

Nice neighbors

Sounds more like Swabenland than Bavaria, RC.

Those neighbors (1) are jealous, (2) have too much time in their hands to eavesdrop outside and (3) are exerting their inner-dictator privilege to call the cops. Send them fly a kite when the snow melts.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Incredible traction, very good side grip and a lot of pretty shocked faces around me. I enjoyed my day today. Of course on winter tires...

This is how my rims looked alike after some snow fun on a parking lot near my house. I was with my little 4-year old daughter in the car and she almost laughed her heart out, pure fun. Unfortunately some neighbors didn't like what we did and called the police. Result: we had to stop and one cop (a woman) asked me if I'm completely out of my mind to do that with a little child next to me. Again: a parking lot, just some 360* turns, some drifting and everything without any other car nearby. No ticket, happy me but the words of that female cop still are in my ears.

BTW: no chance to do even a bit of drifting without turning PSM off. Even with chrono sport, 360* turns weren't possible.

Ferrari does not stand a chance against the Volvo of the sport car world. Playing in the snow like with your 997S is probably the only way you can have fun with it.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Playing in the snow like with your 997S is probably the only way you can have fun with it.

Another way I have fun with is showing my exhaust pipes to Ferrari drivers.

Typical German cop reaction....they are almost as pedantic as the Hungarians!

BTW- Most Ferraris are garage queens...

Guys, I'm not joking. Empty parking lot, speed around 30-40 kph at max and a lot of empty space around. No danger at all, NOTHING. I'm not even sure the police should have stopped me from doing what I did because this was a private ground owned by a company. But if the neighbors complaint... What really bothers me is the reaction of the female cop. She was acting as if I would have harmed my little 4-year old daughter and even worse, she made me feel bad about what I did. My daughter started crying when they told me to stop and that dumb cop blamed me for making her cry. I told her that she's crying because they (the cops) stopped us from fooling around but she (the cop) didn't really want to listen.
    Well, did I tell you guys about the cop who followed me in a video surveillance car through half the city and charging me for driving 15 kph over the legal speed limit on a Autobahn-like inner city road? I'm not kidding. Seems that german cops have gone nuts too, up til now they really were a bit different. Bad economy = envy and bad mood everywhere. Sad.

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    How are the cermaic brakes at that temp?

Absolutely perfect, like on warm weather. No change in brake feel, no squeaking (like the old ones), nothing. I also was very surprised with the performance of the 295s winter tires, incredible.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Ferrari does not stand a chance against the Volvo of the sport car world.

Well thats obvious, since when did the FIAT of the sportcar world have a chance against Porsche?

I think the neighboors called because of the noise? Hey RC, are you the same guy as the one that complained about his garage queen a couple of days ago?

BTW; Pierre: please show these people your vids of you practising donuts on that frozen parking in the 996tt... please!!! I think they'll love it!!!
    -Joost-

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

... since when did [Ferrari] the FIAT of the sportcar world have a chance against Porsche?

You got that right

You shouldnt worry about what she said RC.

Btw, the other day I finally saw a real life 997S , I know that its not a big thing for most of you, but it was was a real surprise for me to see one sitting in a local car park in town

RC lucky you are not in Canada, if you were, then you would have lost your licence for doing 360 "with your 4 year old." All of us here are like little kids when it comes to Porsche, but 360 "with your daughter," just not my cup of tea, I myself also am a father and just can not imagine doing such a thing. I have also had my license suspended for three years for too many speeding tickets, but in none of these fun trips to the US did I have someone with me in the car. It is one thing to play with your car, but it is something else when you are with somebody, and in your case that somebody must be someone very precious to you.
    I respect you as a Porsche fan and for your knowledge of this fine piece of machine. It is just that we all look up to you and expect stories of fun but also safe driving from you.

Quote:
    997C2S said:
    RC lucky you are not in Canada, if you were, then you would have lost your licence for doing 360 "with your 4 year old." All of us here are like little kids when it comes to Porsche, but 360 "with your daughter," just not my cup of tea, I myself also am a father and just can not imagine doing such a thing. I have also had my license suspended for three years for too many speeding tickets, but in none of these fun trips to the US did I have someone with me in the car. It is one thing to play with your car, but it is something else when you are with somebody, and in your case that somebody must be someone very precious to you.
    I respect you as a Porsche fan and for your knowledge of this fine piece of machine. It is just that we all look up to you and expect stories of fun but also safe driving from you.

We just needed PC (political correctness) to crawl in here, didn't we?

RC played in an EMPTY parking lot doing 360s at 25MPH! for crying out loud! His daughter was having lots of fun and was NEVER (repeat NEVER in danger). Nothing - ZERO - wrong with that. The PC society has too many rules - I'm for freedom and responsibility.

Yeah... I guess you are right after all. Some of us are lucky we do not live in Canada -- too much PC.

997C2S

Based on RC's posts here I would say that he's the last person to jeopardize the saftey of himself or his family members. The man won't even use non N designated tires for safety reasons (a stance I agree with), I seriously doubt he would put anyone in danger, especially not his daughter.

Quote:
    Joost said:
    BTW; Pierre: please show these people your vids of you practising donuts on that frozen parking in the 996tt... please!!! I think they'll love it!!!

Do you mean this?
    http://www.sw2.ch/pics/snowdrive/123-2386_MVI.AVI
    http://www.sw2.ch/pics/snowdrive/124-2401_MVI.AVI
    http://www.sw2.ch/pics/snowdrive/124-2404_MVI.AVI

BTW, the parking lot seen in the first video was immaculate when I arrived. I thought the employees of the company owning it would be glad to have a clean space on the next day...

--Pierre

RC fantastic pics, car looks great in the snow, what winter tyres were you on ?

That looks like fun!
    No way in hell that driving like that can "endanger your daughter".
    Must be a lame cop or total political correctness freak to think so.
    Just MHO. Keep on sno-donutting!

Pierre,

That looks like great fun

In those videos, it almost looks like your TT was a RWD. How could you keep it from pulling more in front? You couldn't do this with PSM on though. Right?

Gregor

Gregor, you're right: PSM would have made that impossible. I had enough 'snow-time' both in Switzerland and in Finland (Porsche Camp4) to experience first hand that PSM does a truly amazing job.

About the 4WD: in normal conditions, the front only gets 4% of the traction. When needed, it gets up to 35% (or is it 40%, RC?) of the traction. So basically, the traction remains rear-biased. How I could keep it from pulling more in front? No clue!

Greetings,
    --Pierre

PS: Christian, is Conti the only brand that has 295 winter tires? I thought 265 was the biggest size available. Obviously not anymore!

Thank you Pierre!

Quote:
    in normal conditions

Haha! I guess these are 'normal' conditions over here right now

BTW, how was that Porsche Camp4 in Finland and when did you attend? I met Mr. Serge Dubuc in Weissach earlier this year and he told me that he was an instructor (maybe even the head instructor, don't remember exactly) in that event in Finland. He seemed a VERY nice person and even though I think I'm too late for this time, I am still considering attending maybe next year.

Gregor

The WORST thing which could have happened is that I destroy my rims by hitting a bigger stone/etc. under the snow.
    Try it for yourself. There was NO way the cops would have suspended my license. For what? Speeding? Putting a third party in danger? Destroying something? It is a "political correctness" thing over here in Germany, you're "not supposed to do such a thing". I would never take my 4-year old to the track with me (unless she wants to watch me from the distance) but what I did yesterday is as harmful as playing with Barbies and this is why I was so upset. I was too nice to the cops, it was too late when I realized that I've actually haven't done anything wrong. The 360* turns were pretty smoothly, nothing to put too much stress on my girl's neck/etc.
    The kids are much more in danger when they use a slide to go down a hill in winter time. Ours always wear a helmet but this doesn't prevent broken bones as seen in other families.

I'm sorry to say that but it seems that nowadays, everything seems to be forbidden or not "political correct" if not all people do it. I'm a conservative type of guy, I'm no "rebel" but sometimes everybody should have some fun. And if this doesn't put anybody in danger, what is wrong with that?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803099 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448519 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266044 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90027 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6513 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885603 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833114 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM