Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

are new ferraris too wide?

the modena and f430 much wider than porsches. why?

does anyone else think this makes the modena or the 550/575 feel a bit clumsy?

Re: are new ferraris too wide?

Ummmm, odd question....
    Wider looks MUCH better....simple as that.

have you seen a testarossa or a 512LM?

didn't realize that tell i park the 360 next to the GT3. well, i don't think i can ever take the CS home til i get a wider garage...:D

Quote:
    ignacio said:

Given your concern with the lack of side airbags on the 430 one would thing you would want a wider car. Having owned both 360, 996 and driven the CGT it is no contest that the Ferrari is as good in handling as Porsche's but much more comfortable to be in. If I want a narrow car, I would buy a Miata or similar car.

nberry post some pictures and impressions and comparisons about your mini S, im thinking of buying another car , since i have to wait another 4 months for a proper turbo S cab.

i get angry every time i think about it.

i agree that wider look better

Of course wide looks better, but the question still is HOW wide a car has to be. E.g. the 355 was still a wide car, not as wide as the 360/430, but wide enough IMHO. Not to speak about the 308/328, which was really small in comparision but looked gorgeous.

What I wanted to say is that a car doesn't have to be among the widest to look good. And I also think, that the Ferrari are getting too big overall. For example the F430 is again 3.5 cm longer than the already long 360 Modena. Why?

Wider is better for looks, comfort, and especially handling. Even before the suspension is thought of a wider stance is a huge head start in conering ability and stability.

Tom

I personally think that wide look's so much better than a narrowed. And it makes downforce so the car is stabile and then can turn a quicker.

The Enzo:

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    nberry post some pictures and impressions and comparisons about your mini S, im thinking of buying another car , since i have to wait another 4 months for a proper turbo S cab.

i get angry every time i think about it.

There is not much to show. You can see a small piece of it in my avatar.

Regarding handling and performance it is terrific! I enjoy driving it more so than the Cayenne. The one issue I have is it sits low and often drivers do not see you and I have avoided several collision by being very defensive especially on the highways.

I do not have the S though I have driven one. It has more power and more fun to drive. My wife wanted an automatic and unfortunately it does not come in the higher powered S though I understand one will be out shortly.

Bottom line, if you want a car to drive around the city in traffic in a spirited fun mode, the Mini is hard to beat.

cool thanks! it looks like one of the best values out there in that range.

Quote:
    ignacio said:

Width of 360/575 seems fine to me for most driving. Width looks great, but can become problematic on narrow mountain twisties....a problem Murci/Enzo/CGT may suffer from....

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Of course wide looks better, but the question still is HOW wide a car has to be. E.g. the 355 was still a wide car, not as wide as the 360/430, but wide enough IMHO. Not to speak about the 308/328, which was really small in comparision but looked gorgeous.

What I wanted to say is that a car doesn't have to be among the widest to look good. And I also think, that the Ferrari are getting too big overall. For example the F430 is again 3.5 cm longer than the already long 360 Modena. Why?

thanks rossi

you seem to be the only one here who understood my point. sure, width improves stability just like it said in the old pontiac commercials. my concern is that ferraris have become too wide for a sports car when they feel cumbersome on a narrow mountain road. 308's, 328's and dinos never felt too wide. neither do porsche 996's and 993's or boxers.

i agree that modenas and 550s are comfortable on interstates and on the track. it is unfortunate they are so cumbersome on narrow mountain roads, though. i thought that was where sports cars were supposed to excell.

maybe a new, smaller entry model ferrari is in order?

Quote:
    nberry said:

Given your concern with the lack of side airbags on the 430 one would thing you would want a wider car. Having owned both 360, 996 and driven the CGT it is no contest that the Ferrari is as good in handling as Porsche's but much more comfortable to be in. If I want a narrow car, I would buy a Miata or similar car.

width is no help on side impact without airbags. it simply gives your head more time to accelerate before bashing against the side window or side pillars.

i agree modenas are comfortable but i assure you they can't keep up with a 996 turbo on a narrow mountain road, even if it stays dry. in the wet, even on the track, there is no contest.

Quote:
    ignacio said:

i agree modenas are comfortable but i assure you they can't keep up with a 996 turbo on a narrow mountain road, even if it stays dry. in the wet, even on the track, there is no contest.

Very false....
    And we're taking a width difference of a few inches....
    No point to this topic IMO.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ignacio said:

Width of 360/575 seems fine to me for most driving. Width looks great, but can become problematic on narrow mountain twisties....a problem Murci/Enzo/CGT may suffer from....

All the garbage and gravel trucks that lumber around our Bay Area twisty backroads seem to get through just fine, so I don't think it's much of a problem in the US for any of these wide-bodies. Some of Europes old ex- horse and cart roads are another matter.

Quote:
    ignacio said:

width is no help on side impact without airbags. it simply gives your head more time to accelerate before bashing against the side window or side pillars.

Actually, the head crashes through the side window and leaves an deep indentation on the outside door panel . They call it " internal decapitation ". I'm glad the Porsches have side torso and head air bags. Every bit helps in a world of red-light running multi-tasking in -a- hurry distracted drivers.

Quote:
    ignacio said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Solution...buy a TT. It is the best sport car for the money with the possible exception of the Z06.

Ferrari's are unsafe, unreliable and over-priced. Why bother considering buying one? The TT suits your needs perfectly.

berry

you may be right. still, fantasies die hard.

the terrific reviews on the f430 in every auto magazine certainly don't help. i suspect i'll wait until i drive my own f430 before deciding whether to allow emotions to rule my brain.

i just wish ferrari would make the decision to spend $180k+ more palatable to my brain instead of just my emotions.

Solution...buy a TT. It is the best sport car for the money with the possible exception of the Z06.

Ferrari's are unsafe, unreliable and over-priced. Why bother considering buying one? The TT suits your needs perfectly.

I just think porsches are to narrow. This makes them look to high, but thats mine opinion.
    I find that porsches don't look very sporty.

Quote:
    vinnih said:
    I just think porsches are to narrow. This makes them look to high, but thats mine opinion.

Hallo Vinnih,

NEDERLANDSTALIG ?

Patriek

Quote:
    jennyz said:
    Quote:
    vinnih said:

Hallo Vinnih,
    NEDERLANDSTALIG ?
    Patriek

What gave him away? The "mine"!

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ignacio said:

All the garbage and gravel trucks that lumber around our Bay Area twisty backroads seem to get through just fine, so I don't think it's much of a problem in the US for any of these wide-bodies. Some of Europes old ex- horse and cart roads are another matter.

Although the typical speed and ability to stay within lanes of these trucks in twisties isn't the benchmark to which most sportscar drivers aspire....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ignacio said:

Although the typical speed and ability to stay within lanes of these trucks in twisties isn't the benchmark to which most sportscar drivers aspire....

If using 1 1/2 lanes of Skyline Blvd in opposite lock is your idea of crazy -fun " sports car " driving, good luck to you if that gravel truck is just around the next blind corner going the other way !

I meant it's the trucks that often seem to be swinging into oncoming lanes.

Quote:
    jennyz said:
    Quote:
    vinnih said:

Hallo Vinnih,

NEDERLANDSTALIG ?

Patriek

Yes,
    why ?
    do you speak dutch to ?

Quote:
    VKSF said:

I hate the fact that there is those *^*# rock quarries at the top of Skyline near Half Moon Bay and near Highway 9/Stevens Creek north of Saratoga . Seems like there are always scores of open bed gravel trucks on every " fun" ridge -line winding road from Los Gatos to Hillsborough , down to the ocean.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

I hate the fact that there is those *^*# rock quarries at the top of Skyline near Half Moon Bay and near Highway 9/Stevens Creek north of Saratoga . Seems like there are always scores of open bed gravel trucks on every " fun" ridge -line winding road from Los Gatos to Hillsborough , down to the ocean.

I must be lucking out, but I've had a long string of unfettered drives through the SC Mtns. But having "done my time" in NYC (a torture chamber for car addicts), I really find SF to be a veritable paradise for fun drives (w/300+ days/yr of great driving weather) within a few moments of the office.

Quote:
    vinnih said:
    Quote:
    jennyz said:
    Quote:
    vinnih said:

Hallo Vinnih,

NEDERLANDSTALIG ?

Patriek

Yes,
    why ?
    do you speak dutch to ?

inderdaad,
    ben je lid van de "vlaamse ferrari vrienden" ?

Patriek

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803143 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448544 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266092 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90034 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6570 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885661 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833193 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM